Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dashcam video shows man's fatal encounter with Bridgeton police

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/jerame_reid_video_shows_man_fatally_shot_by_new_jersey_police_raising_his_hands.html

What is everyone's take on this? The officer, Days, most responsible for the shooting of Reid recognized Reid from prior encounters. It seemed to me Days was looking for an opportunity to shoot, and the shooting might not have been justifiable. But since Days is also black, the media is downplaying the excessive police force and civil rights angle and making sure to report Reid's criminal record.

logicallefty

Reaction score
SO.. The gun was in the glove box, right? Not in the guy's hands? WOW. OK then.

This Officer needed to handle this without such intensity. Gun in govebox is not the same as gun in hand. The shoot would have been justified had the passenger pointed the gun at the officer, but without that this was not a good shoot and this officer really screwed up.

Former Officer Lefty: "Sir, I see a gun in that glove compartment. I need you not to move, OK sir, do you understand?"

Passenger: "Yes sir"

Former Officer Lefty: "OK sir. I need you to keep your hands where I can see them at all times, don't let your hands out of my sight, do you understand?"

Former Officer Lefty "All right, good. I am going to open your door with my right hand (cuz my gun is in my left hand but not pointed at the guy). Then I need you to slowly step out of the vehicle, keeping your hands where I can see them at all times, do you understand?"

Guy get out. I direct him away from the car and eventually on his stomach on pavement. I grab the gun from glovebox. I watch passenger, and let other officer get driver out of the car in the same manor.

We search both guys's person for more weapons.

Nobody gets killed tonight.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I appreciate another officer's input. That's how I saw it too. Officer Days had already reached in and retrieved the hand gun. Days, once recognizing the passenger as Reid, just seemed to have just suddenly escalated this situation almost as if on purpose.

I wonder though who opened the glove box revealing there was a gun there, the vehicle occupants or did Days? And was the gun the driver's or Reid's?

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
logicallefty said:

This Officer needed to handle this without such intensity. Gun in govebox is not the same as gun in hand. The shoot would have been justified had the passenger pointed the gun at the officer, but without that this was not a good shoot and this officer really screwed up.

Former Officer Lefty: "Sir, I see a gun in that glove compartment. I need you not to move, OK sir, do you understand?"

Former Officer Lefty: "OK sir. I need you to keep your hands where I can see them at all times, don't let your hands out of my sight, do you understand?"

Former Officer Lefty "All right, good. I am going to open your door with my right hand (cuz my gun is in my left hand but not pointed at the guy). Then I need you to slowly step out of the vehicle, keeping your hands where I can see them at all times, do you understand?"

Guy get out. I direct him away from the car and eventually on his stomach on pavement. I grab the gun from glovebox. I watch passenger, and let other officer get driver out of the car in the same manor.

Assuming the individual in question is being a compliant and forthright citizen following the orders directly along with a "yes sir".

logicallefty

Reaction score
Stagger Lee said:
I appreciate another officer's input. That's how I saw it too. Officer Days had already reached in and retrieved the hand gun. Days, once recognizing the passenger as Reid, just seemed to have just suddenly escalated this situation almost as if on purpose.

I wonder though who opened the glove box revealing there was a gun there, the vehicle occupants or did Days? And was the gun the driver's or Reid's?
Days had no right to reach in there and open it, and it would have not been the safest move anyway. And the occupants of the car shoulda disclosed it to the officer up front, assuming the gun was legal. We may never know the real facts. I just see a cop here that way over reacted. The passenger may have had a record but unless he picked the gun up the cop had no justification to shoot him

YawataNoKami

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
logicallefty said:

Very good Former Officer Lefty ; except Officer Days might have had a right to be weary of Reid.Reid had a history of shooting at cops, and Days was one of the arresting officers when Reid had fired at them before.

Cop: Don’t f’ing move!”

Suspect shoves hands into his pockets.

Cop: “Show your f’ing hands!”

Easy, peasy.

I also notice we haven’t heard a peep from Sharpton or Crumb or any oh the other opportunistic race pimps. Shouldn’t they be leading demonstrations at this point? In this case the cop is black.............

TheVirtualMind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
logicallefty said:

I apparently need to move from my state to whatever fairy tale wonderland you worked at.

This is how is usually goes where current officer TheVirtualMind works:

VM: Left me see your hands

Suspect: F*ck you! *hides hands*

VM: Get your hands where I can see them

Suspect: F*ck you! *starts leaning to reach for something*

VM: *"assists" suspect out of vehicle and searches suspect and vehicle. Finds bb gun that suspect was reaching for*

Easy peasy.

logicallefty

Reaction score
VM, the part I like about your version is that you didn't shoot him either.

As for Days, hopefully he was wearing his body camera so if the passenger did reach for say another gun he will have it all on record for all to see. Somehow, tho, he doesn't seem like the body camera type of cop to me.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see the problem here.

You cop-haters are f*cking crazy. I can't even imagine how bad it sucks to repeatedly walk up to cars like that in the dark. Cops have lives, wives and kids too. Most of these cars they pull over are less productive citizens than the cops:
Reid, 36, had spent about 13 years in prison for shooting at New Jersey State Police troopers when he was a teenager. He was also arrested last year on charges including drug possession and obstruction; Days was one of the arresting officers then.
Just like Michael Brown, these are the type people we are trying to protect these days?

The guy was nice to them. It appears to me that they opened the glove compartment to get a license, and the gun was in there. What was the cop supposed to do? He asked them to show hands, and the guy didn't. The guy on the left did, and he didn't get shot. Why did this Reid dude continuously get smart?

What's even more biased, is the title of the article:
Video shows man fatally shot by New Jersey police had hands raised
What part of the article says he has his hands raised? Only the driver does, and he did not get shot:
The driver, Leroy Tutt, is seen showing his hands atop the open window on his side of the car. It's not clear what Reid is doing, though Days repeatedly warns him not to move during the standoff of less than two minutes.

"I'm going to shoot you!" Days shouts, referring to Reid at one point by his first name. "You're going to be ... dead! If you reach for something, you're going to be ... dead!"

"I ain't got no reason to reach for nothing, bro. I ain't got no reason to reach for nothing," Reid says as Days continues to yell to his partner that Reid is reaching for something.

Someone then says, "I'm getting out and getting on the ground," but Days yells at Reid not to move.

The passenger door pops open and Reid emerges. His hands are at about shoulder height and appear to be empty. As he steps out, the officers fire at least six shots.
The bias is simply ridiculous.

logicallefty

Reaction score
speed_dawg, are you a current or former officer? If so, please tell us what you would have done.

As I said before, I will be looking forward to seeing Day's body cam footage and seeing his side of the story..

(oh, there isn't any body cam footage, oh..oooh... oook. IC)

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
logicallefty said:
speed_dawg, are you a current or former officer? If so, please tell us what you would have done.
No. I wanted to be a cop, but it doesn't pay enough. I probably would have shot him in the leg or something, but I don't think you really think about that stuff in the moment.

logicallefty said:
As I said before, I will be looking forward to seeing Day's body cam footage and seeing his side of the story..

(oh, there isn't any body cam footage, oh..oooh... oook. IC)
Why not wait until that point then, before condemning the officer? That shows your bias.

See, there are two factions here, but it isn't pro-police and anti-police. It's objective people and anti-police. One side uses facts, the other side uses a media-fed emotion.

logicallefty

Reaction score
speed dawg said:
No. I wanted to be a cop, but it doesn't pay enough. I probably would have shot him in the leg or something, but I don't think you really think about that stuff in the moment.

Why not wait until that point then, before condemning the officer? That shows your bias.

See, there are two factions here, but it isn't pro-police and anti-police. It's objective people and anti-police. One side uses facts, the other side uses a media-fed emotion.
I hear you about the pay Sir. I am making almost 2 x now doing IT security for a private company than what I did as a cyber Detective in a medium sized city.

My opinions are based on the fact that in the video Day even said himself the gun was in the glovebox. Until it becomes fact that the passenger touched the gun, this was an illegal shoot, at least in my State and under the Illinois Police Training and Standard's Board and the training they gave me in the academy.

FYI on the Ferguson case I struggled with that one for a long time but eventually I came to side with Officer Wilson and still do. If you touch my gun as an officer then that's as good as you touching yours, and it's "on"..

Edit: your logic about shooting him in the leg is good logic. Harm but don't kill. The problem is, in Illinois at least, that would have been a bad shoot too. We are trained to put two in the middle of the body and then re-asses. I got reamed by the academy instructor one time when I brought that subject up "why not shoot in the arm or leg".. The reasoning was, someone injured in a limb can still be a threat to you.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We can't see exactly what the guy in the car is doing but why would the officer be shouting to him over and over and over and over and over to not move and show his hands?

Seems to me the cop wouldn't have to shout that so many times if the guy simply stayed put and just showed his hands. In other words, fvck that guy. He shoulda just done what the officer told him. Oh, and on top of that he just decides to get out of the car while the officer clearly tells him not to do that?!?!?

I don't give a damn if he had his hands up while getting out of the car and I don't care whether there was a gun in the car either. YOU LISTEN TO THE FVCKING ORDERS THE POLICE GIVES YOU WHEN YOU GET STOPPED. If not, then you risk getting shot. He was warned time and again and still chose not to cooperate. Fine, then get shot, you moron!

I got no remorse for the dude whatsoever. Actually, I think officer Days should've put a couple of more rounds in the guy and then purposely shoot him in the face! Be a good lesson for all the other idiots thinking about not cooperating when they get stopped...

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
That cop murdered that man. He will get convicted. I mean if his hands were shown and he starts getting out you back up and keep the gun pointed at his face, if he reaches then shoot.

This was excessive force. It would be different if the guy lunged at him. Then again how many of us have been in that situation?

The guy here in milwaukee police was indicted by the fbi. They shot a mentally ill homeless man like 16 times. Here is the story. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/2...al-milwaukee-shooting-mentally-ill-black-man/

In my opinion shoot the guy in the arm or foot. I get it the guy fvcked up but guns are no joke, and if you have skill in using them you can shoot some one with out killing them. The mentally ill man was probably drunken, or on some drugs and got woken up.

Our military is more reasonable in foreign countries that our own police here.

I'm sorry but cops are taken it to far.

Maybe they should have gotten that homeless guy some help, at least just beat his a$$ for attacking you and take him to jail But that is some ones life that is now gone.

At least shoot him with out killing his a$$.

If they cant shoot any one and get away with it, then they can do that to me. I'd rather not lose my life.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
logicallefty said:

It's a little more complicated than that. The officer knew the guy in question and knew that he spent time in jail for shooting a police officer in the past. I can understand why the officer would feel a little nervous seeing a gun in the glove box. The guy could easily have a gun on him as well.

The lesson to be learned here is that it's probably NOT a good idea to keep your driver's license next to your gun. I guess the driver is too dumb to consider the possibility that one day he might be stopped by the po-lice and required to produce his license and registration and when he reaches for it, it might look like he's reaching for the gun, which, in turn, might lead to an unfortunate turn of events...

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
logicallefty said:
Days had no right to reach in there and open it, and it would have not been the safest move anyway.
I didn't see the officer reaching in and opening the glove box. It seems like either the driver or the passenger opened the glove box, perhaps forgetting or not knowing there is a gun in there.

logicallefty

Reaction score
Bokanovsky said:
I didn't see the officer reaching in and opening the glove box. It seems like either the driver or the passenger opened the glove box, perhaps forgetting or not knowing there is a gun in there.
I hope he didn't reach in there, that would have been really stupid.

You are probably right, the glove box very easily could have been opened from inside the car by one of the two parties looking for the insurance card and/or registration forgetting the gun was there.

It's cases like this that make me really go :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: (the max of 10 confused faces) when officers gripe about having to wear body cameras or even microphones. Your gun may save your life from ending, but the body cam may save you from spending the rest of life in jail for having to save your life with the gun.

I will never ever EVER get why any cop gripes about wearing a camera, if they are doing what they are supposed to do.

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
You almost have less of a chance getting shot by American infantrymen if you live in a country where there is a war, as long as they can see you clearly, you are not armed, and no one near you is shooting at them.

We were taught to be very careful about this. Of course if you do make a mistake you carry extra ak-47's and throw it on the body of the innocent person.

These cops though are getting crazy.

I bet though, the schools they go to like 2 years schools for law enforcement training have bumped up the emphasis on ethics.

Now that many of cases are really being put under a microscope and brought to the public attention things will change. What we need to do is have cops wear cameras, and not restrict cops from doing their job, but teaching them to be more careful.

I would say most cops dont shoot innocent people or kill them.

Last edited:

the_stig

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That was a tricky situation, and if not handled properly, how cops get killed.

The black officer saw a gun in the glove compartment, stated this fact, told the passenger not to move, show me your hands. The passenger did not comply despite multiple requests, then pushes the door open and moves directly towards the black officer with unknown intentions, so the black officer opened fire.

If you don't agree with the shooting, please give us comprehensive breakdown and tell why the officer is wrong.

Frankly the cop is lucky this was filmed. Otherwise, his head would be on the chopping block right now. Police should embrace wearing cameras on their person, not only to protect the rights of citizens, but to protects themselves. I have no idea why every cop in America doesn't wear a GoPro.

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
the_stig said:
That was a tricky situation, and if not handled properly, how cops get killed.

The black officer saw a gun in the glove compartment, stated this fact, told the passenger not to move, show me your hands. The passenger did not comply despite multiple requests, then pushes the door open and moves directly towards the black officer with unknown intentions, so the black officer opened fire.

If you don't agree with the shooting, please give us comprehensive breakdown and tell why the officer is wrong.

Frankly the cop is lucky this was filmed. Otherwise, his head would be on the chopping block right now. Police should embrace wearing cameras on their person, not only to protect the rights of citizens, but to protects themselves. I have no idea why every cop in America doesn't wear a GoPro.
But regardless, he did not reach into the glove compartment where the gun was located. He did push the door open and fail to obey the officers orders but, he did not reach for the gun. Thats my thing. If he reached then shoot.

He didn't reach. The cop could have fired one shot to the shoulder or somthing.

Then again I wasn't in the cops position.

He did vocalize everything, the cop, but he could have grabbed that b!tch an threw him down when he opened the door. At least it was a black cop that shot and not a white one. That way race baiters cant whine and moan. So thats good at least.

Of course if race baiters didnt make this whole issue a race thing, a solution good for police and offenders could be made.

i think the dude just wanted to try and run. Is was probably his gun and or he is on parole/ probation and or serious warrents.