Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fat Loss WHILE Muscle Gain - Is It Possible ?!?!

Tuppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
The highly debated topic - Fat Loss while Gaining Muscle..

Gain Muscle: Surplus calories
Lose Fat: Deficit calories.

How the **** could people claim to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (assuming they don't have ridiculous genetics)

I'm 20 years old, weigh 217.8 pounds (99kg) at 6.5 feet (199cm) with about 18% body fat. I've been following Anthony Ellis Muscle Gaining for Skinny Guys for a couple months now. Its a good guide but unfortunately I've gained a lot of excess fat as well as muscle when bulking. I don't like this and I want to switch to an equally credible program that combines fat loss and muscle gain -> are there any out there or is it all BS?

Apparently to gain weight I need roughly: (Bulk)

(217.8 x 18) = 3920.4 calories/day @ 40/30/30 prot/carbs/fats %. (Surplus)

I would like to start losing body % fat but gain muscle as well (dont care if it is at a slightly slower pace) - but I dont want to completely cut/shred yet.

Does anyone know of any muscle gain / fat loss guide/program that is credible out there?

Current diet:
Brown rice
Eggs
Tuna
Chicken breast
Whey Protein
Cottage cheese
Vegetables
Beans
Oatmeal
Flaxseed oil
Brown bread (not super good)
Milk (not super good)
Beer (only when out def not good)

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you were older I would have suggested you some pro hormone or sarm but you are definitely too young for that, you have to be at least in your late 20s.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is possible when you first begin training (almost effortlessly provided your training and nutrition are decent). But as your training age increases, it becomes very difficult. Recomping (Losing fat while maintaining or increasing muscle mass) is possible, but the results are painstakingly slow. To gain muscle, you need a surplus of calories/energy. To lose fat, you need to be in a calorie/energy deficit. Both goals have opposing needs. As Brad said, check out Leangains. Most of these recomping strategies became popular due to Martin Berkhan.

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Client results

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Success Stories

Please keep in mind that some of his clients do use AAS, which changes things significantly. That is also another game changer in regards to losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously, steroids.

The only effective diet and training protocol that will allow you to do both at the same time is Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0.

A rough rundown of the weekly schedule:

Monday
50% of maintenance calories (low carb)
Either a full body depletion workout (12 sets of 15+ reps/1 minute time under tension per muscle group)
OR
Upper/lower body (12 sets x 15+ reps/1 minute TUT)

Tuesday
Upper/lower body (12 sets x 15+ reps/1 minute TUT per muscle group)
So you can do upper on monday, and lower on tuesday, or vica versa.
Or no weight training if you did full body.

Wednesday
Morning cardio (Optional)

Thursday A.M

50% maintenance cals
Morning cardio

Thursday P.M
Full body tension workout (3-4 sets of 6-8 reps per muscle group)
Begin carb & creatine loading after your workout. This can range from 500-1400g of carbohydrates over the next couple of days, depending on how much lean body mass you have.

Friday
Continue carb & creatine loading

Saturday
Maintenance calories
Power workout (3-6 sets of 3-5 reps per muscle group)

Sunday
Maintenance calories
Cardio in the evening

Monday
Start over

The issue with this method, is that the schedule is very rigid. If you can't stick to it 100%, do another diet/program. The depletion workouts are hell. I actually did one just before Christmas last year, because I knew there was going to be a heap of food. It took 2.5 hours, my muscles were on fire and I felt nauseous the whole workout. You have the carb load to look forward to, which balances it out. You will notice changes WEEKLY, not monthly like if you were to follow a LeanGains protocol.

You can buy the book here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

You will learn alot from the book about nutrition and training, even if you are not ready to use it.

Last edited:

r.andy

Reaction score
You aren't doing enough. Simple as that. If you're trying to lose weight You need to increase your cardio to at least 30-45 minutes.

Focus on the short term, but don't let your long term goals slip away. Make achievable goals and celebrate when you reach them.

If you're gaining muscle, you will start to burn more calories at rest and therefore lose some fat.