Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Joined a gym. Need a proper workout.

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just joined a local gym and they do have all the machines and weights which are necessary. So until now I was doing the Big3 so now I wanna top it a notch so could you please tell me what should I do. I am planning on visiting the gym 5 days a week. Its been 2 days since I am going to that place and I was doing the big3 and trying my hands on all the other machines as well.

Could you please guide me with a proper workout where I exercise 5 days a week and pack on serious muscles and go like Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Arms etc. Working out different body part on different days.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alternate between push and pull muscle groups, incuding the legs. Do a little cardio (20 minutes) everyday.

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't need entire days dedicated to small muscles like arms and shoulders that already get worked out supporting the other ones. Especially not if you're going to have rest days, you'll be giving your muscles more downtime than they need that way.

A sample workout would be:

Chest+Shoulders (lateral and anterior)+Triceps+Abs
Back+Posterior Shoulders(+forearms & biceps if you'd like)
Rest
Legs + Abs
Chest+Shoulders (lateral and anterior)+Triceps
Back+Posterior Shoulders+Abs(+forearms & biceps if you'd like)
Rest

Last edited:

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would advise getting on youtube and becoming familiar with Athlean x.

You should change things up often to prevent them becoming stale but as you ask for a 5 day example you could go.

day 1 - Back: Pullups, deadlifts, rows.
day 2 - chest: incline and flat bench press, dips, flyes.
day 3 - shoulders: Overhead barbell press, face pulls.
day 4 - arms: standing barbell curls, chinups, tricep dips, skull crushers, hammer curls, dead hangs, farmers carries.
day 5 - legs: squats, straight leg deadlift, calf raises.

That is just an example week, and you would need to mix things up as and when necessary to suit you. But as a starting week that would work all your muscle groups and help you find what works for you.

You could go to a 3 day workout week

Back and triceps
chest and biceps
legs and shoulders

Its up to you.

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle mass! I wanna bulk up by increasing my calories and lifting heavy weights for 6 to 8 reps.

I am 5 feet 7 inches and weigh around 67 kg! My body fat percentage is 16.3 percent and I wanna be around 8 or 9 percent. And weigh almost the same or maybe around 70 kg.

In the end I do wanna look a little bulked up with nice muscle mass which would make me look like a guy who is ripped and has nice muscle mass but is not too much bulky.

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How long have you been working out for and how muscular are you atm?

You say you have just joined a gym so it sounds like not long. If so I would actually suggest googling "stronglifts 5x5".

Its a free programme which will have you in the gym 3 days a week for 12 weeks, building up your strength will purely squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over barbell rows and the overhead press (Although as Espi says I would add in pullups as well). IT will build a solid foundation of strength for you and you can branch out from that afterwards looking for mass.

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I was working out at home and I was doing total body workouts 3 days a week where I was lifting pretty heavy and I was on a caloric deficit and I lost around 20 pounds in 3 months. I have been working out on and off and I am familiar with almost every type of workout and I even have a good knowledge related to equipments, exercises etc.

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I eat 3 times a day, I don't eat rice or pasta and even fried or oily food. I eat a lot of green vegetables and salad. I drink a protein shake twice a day and I usually take a table spoon of olive oil every day to get the good fats. I eat cottage cheese and i've even stopped drinking alcohol or beer. My diet is pretty much clean since the time I lost weight 2 months ago.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
I also last week joined a gym here in China (Salvatore recommendation), for comparison:

Membership fee (whatever this means) is: $30 USD
Monthly fee: $20 USD
Card for 30 visits: $40 USD (Includes machines, pool, showers, free weights, dance/aerobics classes, pool table room and 'lounge')

The place is pretty beat up but its close to my house and cheap. I got a membership for both the wife and I... I think in total it cost us around $120 bucks. We can only attend twice a week due to work so I think it works out well.

My goal: Lose weight... I'm not fat but I'm starting to put on a bit of weight, too much sitting around a computer.. also I would like to have better sex and more frequently (this is not a wife problem). So I guess increase my blood flow to the sperm bank and erection section. Recommended exercises?

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Livefreex The rowing machine sounds like a good one for you. Its pretty much a full body exercise and its somewhat of a mix between cardio and a bit of strength. Burn fat, get fitter and get stronger, especially in the legs, back and arms.

johntab67

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll second Stronglifts. I'm roughly your build but started with a higher bf%. Been doing the program consistently since July of 14 with the necessary diet and sleep modifications. This is not a bodybuilding program. As you increase your strength your muscles will grow. You won't get huge with this but you will get big enough that your close will fit you better. I plan on sticking with it until I can't handle it physically. You will eventually need to tone it down from 5 sets of 5 to 3 sets of 5. The program has an iOS and Android app that is free. Once you reach a certain level you unlock the ability to buy extra features for about $8. Definitely worth it. No need to carry a notebook and the app is feature rich. Can't recommend this program enough!

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
johntab67 said:
I'll second Stronglifts. I'm roughly your build but started with a higher bf%. Been doing the program consistently since July of 14 with the necessary diet and sleep modifications. This is not a bodybuilding program. As you increase your strength your muscles will grow. You won't get huge with this but you will get big enough that your close will fit you better. I plan on sticking with it until I can't handle it physically. You will eventually need to tone it down from 5 sets of 5 to 3 sets of 5. The program has an iOS and Android app that is free. Once you reach a certain level you unlock the ability to buy extra features for about $8. Definitely worth it. No need to carry a notebook and the app is feature rich. Can't recommend this program enough!

Have you lost any weight? Do you look ripped or maybe slim or lean with muscles?

johntab67

Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilSpirit22 said:
Have you lost any weight? Do you look ripped or maybe slim or lean with muscles?
My weight has essentially been flat since September when I started tracking it. I've been up as high as 179 and low as 173. My peak was due to travel and eating out about 10 meals that equaled 20 and my valley was after having the flu.

As far as being ripped - I'm not there yet. I am however much more defined than before and definitely leaner. In my case my extremities got lean, then my shoulders and chest and now it seems that the fat on top of my upper abs is thinning out. It seems that belly fat, love handles, and lower back are the last to go. Face is much less puffy and soft looking.

About 90 days in I dropped a pants size for jeans. About 90 days after that I noticed that replacement jeans were starting to get big in the waist and that I could snug my belt tighter one notch. Bear in mind I haven't really lost any weight.

My goal has been functional strength, dropping the fat, and looking better. Once I max out I may gave Elliot Hulse's program a shot. http://elliotthulse.com/

Take a look at these sights that have articles and forums:
bodybuilding.com
nerdfitness.com
stronglifts.com

Watch youtube videos related to following to learn form:
benchpress
barbell overhead shoulder press
squatting
deadlifting
barbell row/pendlay row

You might spend 10 hours a week with strength and cardio training to provide stimulus for your muscles to grow and to start burning fat. The time you spend outside of training has to work in conjunction with that, i.e., when you rest you rest, get 8 hours of sleep per night. Your body will also require the proper nutrition so getting your diet dialed in is key. Use an app like myfitness buddy to track your meals and cardio.

When you are starting out all of this can be overwhelming. Take it in baby steps and try learning something new daily. You can't do it all at once but if you try consistently to be better than you were the day before you will achieve your goals.

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for these valuable advice and information.

So I have decided to do StrongLifts 5×5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday

And I might add some Abs workout and Cardio on Tuesday, Thursday

I'll rest on Saturday and Sunday.

I'll be on a caloric deficit of only around 200 calories and I'll up my protein intake a little.

I'll follow this program for 3 months.

Feel free to add suggestions and recommendations.

EvilSpirit22

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks a lot everyone.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EvilSpirit22 said:
Thank you everyone for these valuable advice and information.

So I have decided to do StrongLifts 5×5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday

And I might add some Abs workout and Cardio on Tuesday, Thursday

I'll rest on Saturday and Sunday.

I'll be on a caloric deficit of only around 200 calories and I'll up my protein intake a little.

I'll follow this program for 3 months.

Feel free to add suggestions and recommendations.
5x5 will be a good program, I would try to stick with the routine for atleast 6 months. Learning and perfecting your form with squatting, benching and deadlifting takes time. Even with me after doing the big 3 for about 3 years now I'm still focusing on form, as the weight gets heavier you gotta make sure your setting up and doing sh!t right.

When you do switch programs or advance to another one, stick to the basics. The "Big 3" , over-head pressing, rows, db presses, pull-ups ect. should always be the staples of your program, Whether you want strength or muscle the basic compound lifts always work, set and rep ranges will vary depending on your goals.

Good Luck!