Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

hair gel = hair-loss?

Kenny Powers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been messing around with some hair gels for the first time lately, however i've noticed my hair in the front is beginning to show more skin underneath when i get out of the shower.

This may just be paranoia and something ongoing that i've only noticed now because of the hair gel but im wondering if it could be due to the hair gel. I love my hair but i do look damn good with a little gel. Has anyone else had a similar experience or heard that hair gel can lead to baldness.

Most sources online say it doesn't but I haven't seen any scientific evidence to support this. Also there is such a huge market for hair gel that i wouldn't be surprised if any evidence say it causes hair loss has been suppressed.

Btw i use Crew forming cream - medium hold/medium shine

foomee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
don't know about hair products, but i heard a tip before, stay away from combs/brushes, they scratch your skull and could be pulling out extra hair. your hands are the best tool for your hair.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No its because those (Gel's, Grease, etc) aren't natural products

Try Olive Oil

SamoJednom

Don Juan
Reaction score
well when you get out of the shower, hair sections stick together i.e. seperate, maybe thats why, dry your hair down and then look, could be just that it's natural baldness or you look way too much into it and make it seem worse than it is :)

I doubt that it's because of the "gel products" otherwise there would be massive amounts of lawsuits going on.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
foomee said:
don't know about hair products, but i heard a tip before, stay away from combs/brushes, they scratch your skull and could be pulling out extra hair. your hands are the best tool for your hair.
If you can scratch the bare skull then clearly you've got bigger problems than some hair loss.

Joe

Reaction score
Hi All,
Have you tried Brylcream gel? It is good for hair.
There are other products you can use to keep your hair healthy. Like Vaseline oil or olive oil.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All I know is that if the gel sticks to your head (your skull or whatever), then it can prevent hair growth and some stuff. And using waxes like DAX that doesn't really seperate from your hair is damaging to it, and people can start losing their hair in their 20s by using it.

This is just what Ive heard.

TheMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i noticed that to on myself
but i asked my hairdresser and he said that the gel have nothing to do with that its only genetic

Rickey

Reaction score
Hair Gel may cause certain side-effects which may result in hair loss. Hair loss may occur due to various other reasons such as stress, anxiety, imbalanced diet or due to family history of genetic hair loss. So, consult a trichologist and include some nutritional supplements in your diet.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rickey said:
Hair Gel may cause certain side-effects which may result in hair loss. Hair loss may occur due to various other reasons such as stress, anxiety, imbalanced diet or due to family history of genetic hair loss. So, consult a trichologist and include some nutritional supplements in your diet.
Or scalp infection, poor diet and stress. That's what did it for me. I started getting really thin hair in the front. Fixed the issues and it's been growing back in. It's almost back to normal but it took a year.

Gel does nothing. It will aggravate an existing condition but won't cause it. If hair gel is causing your hair to fall out then get it tested for toxins.

Gliten

Reaction score
Hello everyone.I don't use gel on my hair but i have hair fall problem from 2 years.I have reduced so many hair but now i don't want to lose my hair.Kindly give me some suggestion that how can i get ride from this problem.Thanks in advance.

mandyoi

Reaction score
re:

I don't think always hair gel always leads to hair loss. It depends upon the quality and type of gel you are using if you are using cheap quality hair gel or the type of gel which not suits with your hair type then it is quite possible that it cauz hair loss to you.

Hair Transplant

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When i was 14 I used to put a LOT of gel on my hair, it was like I'd stuck my head in an oil pan. I didn't wash my hair much either.
Maybe this is why I receded on top.

I don't use as much now & wash my hair regular. I use a soft wax now :)

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hair naturally falls out, then grows back. If you're prone to male pattern baldness, the hairs do grow back after each fallout, but it grows back progressively smaller and weaker.

Since hair gel increases the rate at hair fallout due to excessive tugging and pulling when styling, it actually accelerates the hairloss cycle.

I would recomend you stop using gel and instead try hairspray.

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hair loss is entirely genetic, it has nothing to do with cremes, gels, mousse, hairspray, etc.

Sure, excessive use will wreck the strands of hair, but not the actually follicle.

My grandfather used a cheap, $1 hair gel is entire life. He'd slick his hair back with a metal comb. He ate like crap, drank to much, and never exercised. He had a full head of hair when he died of congestive heart failure at age 77.

Conversely, my old college runner friend, a D1 Indoor Champion in the men's 3K who had about 6% body fat and was a vegan never wore gel of any kind and he was completely bald before 30.

If you are worried about hair loss, I'd stay away from Rogaine or any other topical solution. It simply keeps the hair you have - it doesn't regrow it. There is also a lot of side effects with that junk and you need to keep taking it repeatedly or else your hair will continue to fall out. Your hair becomes dependent on that stuff. Anything you've read is simply spam and nonsense to move the product. Don't believe anything you've read.

The only thing that works for hair loss is some highly evasive transplant surgery where they take the follicles from the thickest patches of hair from your scalp and place them in the bald/balding areas. Check out Robin Williams hair to see the magic of a good transplant.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
expos said:
The only thing that works for hair loss is some highly evasive transplant surgery where they take the follicles from the thickest patches of hair from your scalp and place them in the bald/balding areas. Check out Robin Williams hair to see the magic of a good transplant.
Correct, I've had a hair transplant done with 1,200 grafts to lower my hairline back to where it was when I was around 23. It's really the only permanent solution but it's expensive.

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
Correct, I've had a hair transplant done with 1,200 grafts to lower my hairline back to where it was when I was around 23. It's really the only permanent solution but it's expensive.
Good work. Nothing wrong with taking back what you once owned, in my opinion.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
expos said:
Good work. Nothing wrong with taking back what you once owned, in my opinion.
Thanks dude, the procedure cost $5,000 and I paid it off over the course of a year on a credit card.

The money wasn't the hard part. The hard part was going back to work and having to hide my hairline via a Julius Caesar-esque foreward comb-over.

Everyone at work knew what was up. The guys couldn't give two sh1ts, but the women were all whispering, giggling, and trying to get closer looks.... but after a few days, even the women didn't give two sh!ts either. Everyone has so much bs to deal with (bills, kids, job) to care about some dude's hair transplant.

It was well worth it and I'm actually planning on doing a follow up procedure soon to increase the density and also to fill in the side hairline along the temples.

My transplant was very tastefully done since i was wise enough not to get too aggressive when lowering my hairline, like say, Nicolas Cage or Sly Stallone, those are some bad hair jobs.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hair gel? No...

Calcification of the capillaries providing blood to the hair follicles?

Yes

VikasGupta114032

Reaction score
If you are noticing your hair loss become more excessive try to get good treatment to solve that problem fast because hair loss problem can become more excessive if it will not control timely.

Hair loss causes