Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I need more physical power

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I consider myself to be very fit. I am lean and muscular looking, eat relatively healthy, all that good stuff, but my issue is that I look stronger than I am, almost like a bodybuilder. I want to get physically stronger. My cardiovascular endurance is pretty good, recent events lowered my muscular endurance but it seems to be back where it was, if not higher. My muscular strength isn't really where I want it to be, though it isn't bad. What's bothering me more so than anything though is that the strength that I do have doesn't have nearly enough power to go with it. An example would be if I were to push sleds. I can push 2 sleds at almost identical speeds be it with or without weight. I have strength without speed. Strength without power. How can I train for power?

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ImTheDoubleGreatest! said:
So I consider myself to be very fit. I am lean and muscular looking, eat relatively healthy, all that good stuff, but my issue is that I look stronger than I am, almost like a bodybuilder. I want to get physically stronger. My cardiovascular endurance is pretty good, recent events lowered my muscular endurance but it seems to be back where it was, if not higher. My muscular strength isn't really where I want it to be, though it isn't bad. What's bothering me more so than anything though is that the strength that I do have doesn't have nearly enough power to go with it. An example would be if I were to push sleds. I can push 2 sleds at almost identical speeds be it with or without weight. I have strength without speed. Strength without power. How can I train for power?
Heavy compound movements and static holds. I count static hold work that I did several years ago as one of the biggest reasons for the size and density of my muscles in comparison to other people that are the same height/weight as me. It works your muscles in a way you've never felt before. Read about how to do it here:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni36a3.htm

At my peak, I was able to do 605 lb Bench Press Static Holds, 495 lb Military Press Static Holds, 645 lb Trap Shrug Holds, 785 lb Top Range Rack Pulls(which is actually fairly weak as I know people doing over 900 lbs while in the same range as me on the others), and 2,200+ lb leg press static holds(24 plates on each side on the leg press). All of these holds I was able to press up two inches off the guards and hold for at least 5 seconds, with some of them over 10 seconds...the strength, density and size you build from doing these regularly will last with you the rest of your life as long as you continue training...you will get some funny looks from other people at the gym, but you will become a freaking beast, I promise you.

Then focus on the heavy compounds:

Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Weighted Dips, Pullups, Chinups, etc...

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
marmel75 said:
Heavy compound movements and static holds. I count static hold work that I did several years ago as one of the biggest reasons for the size and density of my muscles in comparison to other people that are the same height/weight as me. It works your muscles in a way you've never felt before. Read about how to do it here:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni36a3.htm

At my peak, I was able to do 605 lb Bench Press Static Holds, 495 lb Military Press Static Holds, 645 lb Trap Shrug Holds, 785 lb Top Range Rack Pulls(which is actually fairly weak as I know people doing over 900 lbs while in the same range as me on the others), and 2,200+ lb leg press static holds(24 plates on each side on the leg press). All of these holds I was able to press up two inches off the guards and hold for at least 5 seconds, with some of them over 10 seconds...the strength, density and size you build from doing these regularly will last with you the rest of your life as long as you continue training...you will get some funny looks from other people at the gym, but you will become a freaking beast, I promise you.

Then focus on the heavy compounds:

Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Weighted Dips, Pullups, Chinups, etc...
Wouldn't that just increase general strength though? I'm trying to get stronger/powerful without gaining too much mass or size. I don't really want to be 'bigger'.

Not to throw in some broscience or anything, but I want myofibrillar hypertrophy rather than sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Better neuro-muscular connection for stronger and more efficient muscle contractions too. Strength without size, you know what I mean?

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ImTheDoubleGreatest! said:
Wouldn't that just increase general strength though? I'm trying to get stronger/powerful without gaining too much mass or size. I don't really want to be 'bigger'.

Not to throw in some broscience or anything, but I want myofibrillar hypertrophy rather than sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Better neuro-muscular connection for stronger and more efficient muscle contractions too. Strength without size, you know what I mean?
Focus on bodyweight exercises then I'd say..pullups, chinups, pushups, etc...

However, also remember, how "big" you get is also highly dependent on your caloric intake over time as well...

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Add in explosive exercises

Medicine ball slams
Sledge hammer hits on tire
Tire flips
Clapping push-ups
Jumping squats
Sled push
Sled pull

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't believe that static holds are the key. First of all I want to recall reading that isometric and partial rom training does not produce as much hypertrophy as full rom isotonic does, of that I am sure and I will look up sources again if requested. I also doubt it would surpass full rom isotonic work for developing anything else. Why? you can hold more weight statically because that is easier for your muscles, not because it stresses them more which kinda speaks for itself, as how could they be stressed more if it's easier for them to hold the weight? (that's not to say that as much as possible that makes it harder for them to hold it would be better either, you need basic stability... like firing a cannon in a canoe or bench pressing on a trampoline that people are jumping on wouldn't work). I should also mention that you can make any exercise explosive, which means power-oriented, because it is a general rule of physics and not some brand collection of moves.

Now to answer your question. Basically strength is force and power is force x time. The body also learns from what it does and gets better with practice. This means if you want power, you should simulate the conditions of it which is to produce as much force as quickly as possible just like when you want balance then you practice balance and when you want accurate speed then you practice accurate speed. That means using heavy weights (you know they are heavy when you fail your reps because of weakness rather than fatigue onset) and lifting as fast and powerfully as possible on the concentric part using everything you have each time you do the concentric.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AttackFormation said:
I don't believe that static holds are the key. First of all I want to recall reading that isometric and partial rom training does not produce as much hypertrophy as full rom isotonic does, of that I am sure and I will look up sources again if requested. I also doubt it would surpass full rom isotonic work for developing anything else. Why? you can hold more weight statically because that is easier for your muscles, not because it stresses them more which kinda speaks for itself, as how could they be stressed more if it's easier for them to hold the weight? (that's not to say that as much as possible that makes it harder for them to hold it would be better either, you need basic stability... like firing a cannon in a canoe or bench pressing on a trampoline that people are jumping on wouldn't work). I should also mention that you can make any exercise explosive, which means power-oriented, because it is a general rule of physics and not some brand collection of moves.

Now to answer your question. Basically strength is force and power is force x time. The body also learns from what it does and gets better with practice. This means if you want power, you should simulate the conditions of it which is to produce as much force as quickly as possible just like when you want balance then you practice balance and when you want accurate speed then you practice accurate speed. That means using heavy weights (you know they are heavy when you fail your reps because of weakness rather than fatigue onset) and lifting as fast and powerfully as possible on the concentric part using everything you have each time you do the concentric.
It is easier for you to hold the weight in that position, because that is how its designed. You are in your strongest ROM at that point. I know they work, because I did them several times for 3 or 4 weeks at a time, and gained size and strength from them as well as density. And if you think they are easy then go do a full static hold workout and tell me how easy you think it is when you are done. I will bet a lot of money you will be physically exhausted in a way you have never felt before...as in all you want to do is lay down and go to sleep exhausted.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Add in explosive exercises

Medicine ball slams
Sledge hammer hits on tire
Tire flips
Clapping push-ups
Jumping squats
Sled push
Sled pull
Whatever Effort said do...the dude knows his sh!t...best trainer I've ever had.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Bulk up and go on a strength program. Do 5 x 5 or 3 x 5.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@marmel75

How exactly do I do this? I understand the concept and read the article, but it says start off with 1 set?

So i'm benching 205lbsx2 and am currently at a hump for my 3rd set. Do I do my regular workout with try this as my last set (probably not) or would i just start out benching 290lbs, then lift with a spot and hold 2-4 inches below locking for 5-10 seconds?

Assuming it's the later, I do that once and hold for 5-10 seconds and move on to the next workout, or do I do that again?

I probably will not try this without spotters. Sounds like a trip to the hospital for inexperienced people who try this.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
@marmel75

How exactly do I do this? I understand the concept and read the article, but it says start off with 1 set?

So i'm benching 205lbsx2 and am currently at a hump for my 3rd set. Do I do my regular workout with try this as my last set (probably not) or would i just start out benching 290lbs, then lift with a spot and hold 2-4 inches below locking for 5-10 seconds?

Assuming it's the later, I do that once and hold for 5-10 seconds and move on to the next workout, or do I do that again?

I probably will not try this without spotters. Sounds like a trip to the hospital for inexperienced people who try this.

No no, you want to do this in the squat rack or on the Smith machine where you have it so it can't go down farther than a certain point by setting the guards properly.

So you want to take your 1 rep max weight and add 20% to it to start. So figure 215x1.2= 260lbs rounding up.

You want to do this prior to any other lifting. So you'd do a few warm-up statics with lighter weight then do the 260 lbs static. I'd probably do 2 sets and add another 25 lbs to it on the second set. You will be able to lift it trust me. You want to hold it as long as possible.

Every week you take the second set weight and add 20% to it. You will gain strength quickly so don't be afraid it's too much.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, Marmel.

So i do statics for a month, consistently and up the weight 20% each workout (and also on the second set). Understood.

Do you ever throw in full range of motion workouts. I'd probably feel very weird not lifting anything fully for a whole month/just tugging at things or barely holding them up.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
Thanks, Marmel.

So i do statics for a month, consistently and up the weight 20% each workout (and also on the second set). Understood.

Do you ever throw in full range of motion workouts. I'd probably feel very weird not lifting anything fully for a whole month/just tugging at things or barely holding them up.
You can do the regular full range reps directly after the statics if you want, but I wouldn't do too many on one day then....

For instance, I used to do Static Bench followed by bench presses then Static Military presses followed by military presses...then a few accessory exercises like maybe Bis/Tris or whatever you were working that day...

Trust me don't add too much other work once you start getting those statics heavier...you will create a tremendous taxing of your CNS and you will be fatigued in a way you've never felt before---almost like you are just physically and mentally exhausted. Literally you will come home and want to sleep.