Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Rotator Cuff Injury, Advice Needed?

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hello folks

around 4 months ago, i started to experience a pain in my shoulder that gradually got worse, whenever i did certain arm movements.

my doctor has told me that i have some inflammation in my rotator cuff. According to my doctor there is no tear, just some inflammation!

this is based on a ultrasound test result..

so i decided to drop out of training for 1 month.. also i took some anti inflammatory tablets.. after 1 month i went back into the gym & the pain came back again.. but i carried on training for around 3 weeks.. only light training, nothing too heavy on my shoulders.. but on the advice of my physiotherapist, i have dropped out of training again

so far i have been taking anti inflammatory tablets, also i had a cortisone steroid injection & now i am also doing physiotherapy

but.. i still have this pain?

i want to hear from people who have knowledge of this injury, who have recovered from it.. or anyone who can point me in the right direction, as i am starting to feel quite really low about not being able to workout

i have some questions..

if it is only inflammation & not a tear, then why am i still in pain nearly 4 months later?

how long does it take for this problem to settle?

is physiotherapy a good thing, to help aid recovery. or should i be resting it?

is there anything i could do speed up recovery?

would appreciate any advice guys

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also get that clicking too... i have been told to rest alot.. and ice the area as much as possible..

According to my doctor, it is not a tear.. so i,m hoping the inflammation will clear up in the next few months.. also i am icing the area alot

xupc

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you on anti inflamatory medication op? Have you tried Bill Stars protocol? What have you done to rehab the injury?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience rehabilitating people with rotator cuff injuries including myself.

1. Post your rehab program in detail (exercise/sets/reps/resistance)

2. Where does it hurt specifically, front/side/back of shoulder joint?

3. On average how bad does it hurt 1-10 scale, 10 being call 911.

4. What causes it to hurt more?

5. How many hours do you sleep on average?

6. What do you eat in a typical day?

7. What supplements and or meds are you taking?

8. Are you working out around the injury?

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
I have a lot of experience rehabilitating people with rotator cuff injuries including myself.

1. Post your rehab program in detail (exercise/sets/reps/resistance)

2. Where does it hurt specifically, front/side/back of shoulder joint?

3. On average how bad does it hurt 1-10 scale, 10 being call 911.

4. What causes it to hurt more?

5. How many hours do you sleep on average?

6. What do you eat in a typical day?

7. What supplements and or meds are you taking?

8. Are you working out around the injury?

Hey bro...

01. At the moment i have quit gym all together.. i do lots of running, but taking a rest from lifting..
i am doing some shoulder strengthening exercises recommended by my physiotherapists.. i do them 3 x a week

02. It hurts mostly the front and the top of the shoulder.. its not very painful.. just a pinch when i raise my arm to a certain level.

03. On average it hurts 4 or 5 from the scale of 10

04. Mostly when i do bench press.. incline or decline or flat.. it hurts in all positions, wide grip feels a little easier, close grip irritates the shoulder more..
also bicep curls and tricep curls cause irritatation too.

05. I sleep 8 hours

06. I eat pretty healthy.. high protein foods.. chicken, rice, tuna, oily fish, lots of eggs, beef steak, vegetables

07. The only meds i am taking are dyclofenic anti inflammatory

08. I am currently not risking working out at all

I

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What exercises w/set +reps does the physio have you doing? It sounds like you lack strength, stability and mobility in the rotator cuff and compensate by putting more stress on your anterior delts and supraspinatus. It makes sense that the movements you listed cause you pain. The good news is you can improve all those things with a good rehab/Nutrition program.

I recommend not quitting the gym all together. The physiological benefits from resistance training are important for healing your injury and general up keep of your body. You can train lower body and perform rehab on your upper body. It's just a matter of finding exercises, resistance and rep ranges that don't aggravate your shoulder.

I recommend watching this 5 part series as well

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-for-injury-part-1

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mine continuously goes, I basically gave up lifting these days I just do cardio and a lot of bag and pad work in the gym, got sick and tired of it clicking, crunching, popping out. No matter how many times I rehabbed it and had rock solid form, guarenteed it would go at some stage and i'd be out for months.

Rata Blanca

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of injuries.

I got a left shoulder injury when I was 23. I was doing pull ups and a bicep circuit. I went to a doctor and she only recommended painkillers.

Today I still train, but I can tell you the injury has been a great obstacle and I still feel pain.

My advice:

Get used to the pain, it isn't going away. (unless you go with a surgeon)
Stop lifting if needed.
Remain active. Look for other activities that don't hurt you.
When you get back to lifting, drop the ego, drop the weight, focus on form.
(Priority is on your health! That's why you lift weights!)
Notice which exercises hurt you
WORK YOUR WAY AROUND YOUR INJURY.
Machines are your new best friends.
Recognize injury pain, from lifting pain. When you feel injury pain, stop.

For pull ups, switch to a lat pulldown machine or chin ups.
For bench switch to dumbells during a season, then get back to bar.
Eventually I had to stop squating (my shoulder pain won't let me carry the bar in my back) so I switched to front squats.
I stopped doing dips, sometimes I use a dip machine. (they were one my favorite excercises)

Some excersises to help your injury:

Shoulder dislocations
Face Pulls

Search for stronglifts recommendations for a shoulder injury.

Here's good post dealing with injuries
http://acrobolix.com/jujimufu-on-injuries/

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello soulforge.

The same thing happened to me. I had to suspend training for 3 months. Put a lot of ice on it, had a physio 3 times a week, and had to go to a pool to do exercises for recovery.