Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Have a great idea

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a great idea for a website, but don't have the programming skills to execute it.

I want to reach out to a programmer but don't want to get zuckerberged since once the idea is out there it's relatively easy to replicate. I need first mover advantage to really execute this effectively.

Any ideas?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Find a reputable, sizable programming company that has assets you can seize.

2. Have the company and executing programmer (personal) both sign a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement.

3. Don't know your jurisdiction, but prepare a Confession of Judgment (CJ) for both company and programmer to execute, in case they are daring to steal your idea. A typical CJ reads something like:

<State your condition> (the "Condition"). Upon violation of the Condition, the undersigned irrevocably authorizes any attorney to appear in any court of competent jurisdiction and confesses a judgment without process in favor of the <State your Operating entity> for (Insert dollar amount) as may then appear unpaid hereon, and to consent to immediate execution upon such judgment.
Without further info as to what the website does, I can't advise whether a patent would work.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Test your "great idea" with wordpress or another DIY platform.

There's TONS of plugins that can make wordpress do much pretty anything. and it's a lot cheaper to hire somebody to tweak wordpress than build something from scratch.

If it really IS such a great idea, you'll have a working model to go from. Otherswise you'll be spending TONS of money on something that might not be such a "great idea."

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn more about programming if you really want to DIY.

This is the hardest way, but it may be the most rewarding.

I don't know the first thing about programming so I all I can do is wish you luck.

If it truly is a great idea, all you have to do is manifest it. Make it happen.

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am currently the sole revenue generator for my company (after this website goes live that will definitely not be the case) so any time away from work is time spent NOT making money.

That's quite a large opportunity cost since I can charge up to £100 ($150) an hour for my services and even more on jobs with a flat fee, as I tend to overestimate the number of hours certain projects take (I make up for it with sheer quality however).

Let's say it would take me 100 hours to learn programming to the level required to create and operate this website - as far as websites go it would be reasonably complex. Then that's £10,000 foregone. And that's assuming I follow through with it.

I'd rather just pay someone else to do it for me and get it right the first time. I didn't get into this business to become a jack of all trades and master of none.

Libreman

Reaction score
Protect yourself.

Do the thing you want - hire someone to do the work. But as part of the deal - make them sign a non-disclosure agreement (can buy a simple one online for £25). This way you get the work done, and if you get 'zuckerberged' you have a nice paper trail to sue them with.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would agree with whoever said to build a simple prototype based around the idea to see if it even catches traction. More often than not, ideas need revision from the feedback of early customers to shape where the development of the product is expected to go.

And there is not a chance you could teach yourself full web development in 100 hours. If you have never written a line of code in your life, it would take 1000 hours of practice to be able to make something basic both for the front end and back end.

Legal stuff aside, go look online for freelance developers who could help build something simple. Of course, it would not be one and done since the technologies change at the speed of light. If you do not want to divest from your current line of work, get a co founder. Since salaries are competitive for programmers who can do more than a web page (html, css), so be prepared to offer up either good money, or equity.

Bottom line is online web technologies require a lot of time to get right. Its up to you if you want to keep up with what you are doing, or try to get this going as well..