Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Thinking about leaving my wife

Illest

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. And it's because I really need advice. This is obviously as serious of a decision as it gets, and while I do not plan to rely on a bunch of strangers on the internet to make it for me, I would very much appreciate people's viewpoints.

I've been married to my wife for four years. We have no children and don't plan to in the near future. We are happy. My wife absolutely adores me. She is sweet, attractive, and the sex is good. I trust her completely. I am generally content with our life together. I feel strong affection for her. I could see us living out the rest of our lives together and I would not be miserable; I could even be happy.

The problem is I have never been in love with my wife. I don’t feel challenged by her and I rarely feel excited by her. She is the only woman I have ever been with, but I have been in love before with another girl, and I’ve never felt the same butterflies in my stomach with my wife that I did with her. I married my wife because I was soft and I let momentum carry me. In the months leading up to our engagement, I actually tried, very weakly, to break up with her twice, but could not bear her tears and her sadness.

But now we are married, and I vowed to stay with her for the rest of my life. Is it right for me to leave her now when she has done nothing to warrant it? Everything I know about her now I knew before I married her. Can I possibly break her heart and destroy all the dreams she had of us together?

And would leaving her even be the best decision for me? I find that our values are different. She wants a big house, status, lots of nice things. While I am certainly not opposed to those things, they are not my priority in life. But are all women like that? If I want to eventually have kids, I need to be married, but will I be able to actually find a high quality woman whom I respect, admire, and am crazy about? Or am I being too idealistic? Should I be satisfied with the fact that I’m married to an attractive woman who loves and adores me?

donking

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your biggest problem is you married without sampling other girls. If your wife was a virgin before you met her, keep her since you most likely won't get another woman who is as bonded to you as this one and ignore the following... else,

If she has been around with a few (>1) men before, discretely find a way to satisfy your hunger for some strange. Since she was able to taste other men, you should have the chance to do the same with women. Never bring it up to her if you decide to stay with her. In any case, you may find out that you don't want to be with her after this, then you will know. The reason you don't do this if she is a virgin is you will feel guilty. You won't feel as guilty if she's been around and you have not.

If you had had other women before marrying, my advice would be different: suck it up.

My hope is when you go on a date with another woman, which you most likely will, this will trigger some love for your wife.

Sonic1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Illest said:
This is my first post on this forum. And it's because I really need advice. This is obviously as serious of a decision as it gets, and while I do not plan to rely on a bunch of strangers on the internet to make it for me, I would very much appreciate people's viewpoints.

I've been married to my wife for four years. We have no children and don't plan to in the near future. We are happy. My wife absolutely adores me. She is sweet, attractive, and the sex is good. I trust her completely. I am generally content with our life together.Sounds pretty sweet to me!I feel strong affection for her. I could see us living out the rest of our lives together and I would not be miserable; I could even be happy.

The problem is I have never been in love with my wife. I don’t feel challenged by herWhat does this mean? and I rarely feel excited by her. She is the only woman I have ever been with, but I have been in love before with another girl, and I’ve never felt the same butterflies in my stomach with my wife that I did with her. I married my wife because I was soft and I let momentum carry me. In the months leading up to our engagement, I actually tried, very weakly, to break up with her twice, but could not bear her tears and her sadness.

But now we are married, and I vowed to stay with her for the rest of my life. Is it right for me to leave her now when she has done nothing to warrant it?That's a question only you can answer. Everything I know about her now I knew before I married her. Can I possibly break her heart and destroy all the dreams she had of us togetherDo you share these dreams??

And would leaving her even be the best decision for me? I find that our values are different. She wants a big house, status, lots of nice things. If you haven't had a discussion about how your values are different, it's time to stop *****footing around how you feel before you get into serious debt. While I am certainly not opposed to those things, they are not my priority in life.Are they? Are you sure? But are all women like that?Lots are because it's considered what's normal in American life. If I want to eventually have kids, I need to be married, but will I be able to actually find a high quality woman whom I respect, admire, and am crazy about?This almost contradicts what you stated in your first paragraph--you said you feel strong affection for her. Or am I being too idealistic? Should I be satisfied with the fact that I’m married to an attractive woman who loves and adores me?
Sounds like you've got "the grass is greener" or "buyers remorse" mindset going on. I was married before and had the same things going on in my mind that you did. I suspect this is normal with most people. The big difference is that my ex went out and cheated on me. Who can predict what will happen if you decide to divorce her? No one! You may meet another woman that you decide you love and she may treat you like crap.

My take is that you should be very careful about how you proceed. I suspect that you are not communicating with your wife about her future dreams or what you want to do. If not, why? Obviously you're not sure about how to proceed. My advice is to proceed slowly, think logically and remember that some bells cannot be unrung once you ring them. Don't do anything you're not ready to do and be willing to accept the consequences of your decision.

bmp2cpm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So you want butterflies? Butterflies often occur with oneitis. Oneitis can be very dangerous. Stay with a woman for amazing sex and her domestic skills, not butterflies. If your wife gives you so much sex, you can barely think about sex, stay. If you think about sex right after you too are alone, look elsewhere. Butterflies are a result of putting a woman on a pedistal. Don't do that.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Illest,
The sex is good,no financial problems,no competition,In a long life I have never seen an unlikely situation like this.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bro, have you seen what the dating scene is like?? If she's attractive, gives you sex, and is not a psycho, stay. Don't think about this 24/7, do other things. Have a more alpha-oriented mindset and chill. You don't exactly have it THAT bad. Ride it out.

yeahbuddy14

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't do something you might later regret, remember why you married her.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with bpm2cpm. Butterflies are associated with oneitis. I've found that my best relationships have been with girls that I cared about, but not so much that it drove me crazy, you know?

You want to have a certain level of detachment and unemotionalism with your girl for it to work smoothly as it was intended. Emotions are for women, and if you get all googly-eyed, it will actually turn the girl off and compromise your masculinity.

Just a certain level of detachment mind you, I don't mean you shouldn't be attracted to her. It just shouldn't be to the point where it messes with your head.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a real lack of info here. What's the back story on your wife? Was she a virgin when you married her? Was she low-mileage in a sexual sense? If either of these were the case, I'd recommend staying with her because it sounds like she may be valuable.

If you find things are getting boring in the marriage, then it's YOUR responsibility to make it more interesting. Find things to do with her that the both of you haven't tried yet. Take dance lessons, go on a unique vacation, learn a new language together, basically anything that helps create new and interesting memories. Your city should have a selection of programs that the both of you could take. If you want her to look more sexy for you, go lingerie shopping with her and help her pick something out (note: NEVER pick something out for her on your own!) Make the bedroom more exciting with different positions, different experiences, different kinds of foreplay, etc. You have a woman who's comfortable with you, so why not create new adventures with her?

Laziness in the relationship is lethal. You need to WORK at it to keep things fresh and interesting, even for yourself.

Don't take a valuable woman for granted. The dating scene is the 5hits, full of women who are low-quality wh0res that will throw you away at the drop of a hat. You may end up searching for her replacement the rest of your life.

Epimanes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi.. I been married to my high school sweetheart since we were 19. Wedated from 15. Still together today.. And happier now than I can remember. All marriages are work.. Beeenn through a lot of time where we didn't feel love for eachother.. Probably 6years or so of not feeling love. But that phase has come and gone.

Love is a choice and an action. You can recreate love. Its there... It has to be rebuilt. My suggeestions are to work on it. The places I used to rebuild our love are www.marriagebuilders.com (teaches you about eachothers needs and how to meet them for eachother and builds comfort and bonds) and www.marriedmansexlife.com (teaches you good alpha skills and how to be the leader of your marriage, how to like and better yourself,and how. To be the man a good wife needs).

Check em out... The love "butterflies" as you say is your dopeamine system.. Its fleeting... Comes and goes... But you can recreate using the tools from those 2 places I suggested.

Epi

Weaver

Don Juan
Reaction score
Illest said:
My wife absolutely adores me. She is sweet, attractive, and the sex is good. I trust her completely.
Sounds great. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
I am generally content with our life together. I feel strong affection for her. I could see us living out the rest of our lives together and I would not be miserable; I could even be happy.
You should be happy. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
The problem is I have never been in love with my wife. I don’t feel challenged by her and I rarely feel excited by her.
You can get plenty of challenge and excitement from Cluster B psycho b*tches. If you had experience with such types, you would probably value your wife a lot more. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
I married my wife because I was soft and I let momentum carry me. In the months leading up to our engagement, I actually tried, very weakly, to break up with her twice, but could not bear her tears and her sadness.
Imagine how devastated she'd be if you left her now. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
But now we are married, and I vowed to stay with her for the rest of my life.
Keep your word. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
Is it right for me to leave her now when she has done nothing to warrant it? Everything I know about her now I knew before I married her. Can I possibly break her heart and destroy all the dreams she had of us together?
Consider the many evils your decision could lead to. She might commit suicide. She might become susceptible to feminist propaganda. She might become a carousel-riding slut. At the very least, as a divorcee, her chances with higher quality men will be severely diminished. Do not ruin her. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
And would leaving her even be the best decision for me?
Depends on what you want, but probably not. After years of marriage, your wife is still "sweet" and "attractive." Many women are neither from the start. Others become b*tchy and/or fat after the marriage contract is signed and they no longer need to make an effort to be pleasant in either demeanor or appearance. Your wife is special. Do not leave her.

Illest said:
I find that our values are different. She wants a big house, status, lots of nice things. While I am certainly not opposed to those things, they are not my priority in life. But are all women like that? If I want to eventually have kids, I need to be married, but will I be able to actually find a high quality woman whom I respect, admire, and am crazy about? Or am I being too idealistic? Should I be satisfied with the fact that I’m married to an attractive woman who loves and adores me?
You do not have to satisfy unreasonable demands. Then the ball will be in her court: if she leaves you for a man who can provide "a big house, status, lots of nice things," then good riddance. If she prefers you to all those things, then you have a keeper.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There will come a time in life where you do not care about butterflies and being in love.

A time when the creature comforts of good sex with someone that you adore and a strong relationship with someone you trust will set you far apart and above most jaded men.

You are stuck in a rut and that sucks. But loneliness can, sometimes suck more. No need to blow the car up to get out of the rut, get behind the car and push it to where you want to go.

You don't leave a good job without another better job waiting for you. That's logical, man stuff. I think you can apply it here too.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a girlfriend like this. I got suckered into a relationship…I tried to play it off at first like fwb but that didn't work when i accidentally called her my gf when i ran into family. Adored me, sex was good, cooked amazingly well, cleaned, etc.

She was great and sweet but just didn't have the same values as i did. Plus she would always push religion on me from time to time. Eventually, i lost interest in her……She would want to have sex but i couldn't get it up…She would get angry from frustration….eventually i had to break it off.

My first mistake was not being firm in the hook-up and letting myself fall into a relationship…My second mistake was not fixing the mistake asap….luckily i only lost 8-9 months so it wasn't that bad but you've been dragging on yours too long.

SteR

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like a case of grass is greener.

Btw, you forget that butterflies never last - it's a fleeting feeling. Even if you did leave your wife and went after someone that gave you this feeling, it'd eventually fade and you'd be back in exactly the same position.

I think a lot of guys would be very happy to be in your position man.. tread very carefully..

Reaction score
Your lucky, so many men would trade to be in your position. Actually many men cry at night because they were in the position you are in now, and went over to the grass is greener chasing "all that glitters is not gold"...

They haven't had a quality lady since their wives.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You sound like me 2-3 years ago. I was "happily" married to a great woman. I was weak and got swept up in the pressures to commit. I could easily have spent the rest of my life with her, but deep down I knew I'd wonder if it was the right move or not. Yes, you can call it "grass is greener" syndrome if you like. I got divorced and here I am. More on me later though.

Here is the most important thing to keep in mind: You only have one life to live on this planet, and you don't need to apologize to ANYONE for seeking happiness. Whether your happiness lies in leaving your wife or staying with her is your call. I was called a number of adjectives and names on these boards and elsewhere (including a supposed "red pill" blog that took me to task) for my decision. People will call you selfish, but keep in mind people will call you selfish because you're not doing what THEY selfishly want you to do, or if they don't know you, what they selfishly believe you should conform to. Every act is selfish - your wife wanting to marry you and crying when you attempted to leave her was also selfish. There is nothing wrong with it - it's human nature. If you're not going after what you want, you're not living right in my opinion.

As for me, here is what I faced. I realized it would be short-term turbulence, or long-term misery. Marriage felt constricting to me. It wasn't even so much my ex herself as the lifestyle. It was stunting to me. Anyway I chose short-term turbulence. It was bumpy but could have been much worse. I broke her heart but she and her family did understand; we are still friends with no hard feelings. It took longer than a year for me to get over the decision and "forgive" myself, though. So be prepared for that if you do go through with it.

And I see other people are telling you that many men would gladly trade places. So what? You're not them, are you. That's just another trap. Finally, keep in mind you cannot make someone else truly happy if you've given up your own happiness. Again, you know best on which path that lies. Good luck.

[I will add that many other Sosuavers were incredibly insightful and supportive.]

skinnyguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude you're crazy. You'll struggle to find someone as high quality as her if you leave her.

SteR

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
samspade said:
... Marriage felt constricting to me. It wasn't even so much my ex herself as the lifestyle. It was stunting to me.
Actually you raise an interesting point here. When I was younger I always looked forward to marriage thinking it'd be great if I could find a wife. However I now see how marriage really is, from observing my friends.

I honestly don't know now whether I'd ever be comfortable being restricted like that. I mean as much as it can sometimes be lonely being single, the idea of being tied down in marriage actually terrifies me. I even see it with my parents: My mother organising tonnes of inane social gatherings, forced upon my dad when he gets back tired from work. I don't think I could ever deal with that...

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SteR said:
Actually you raise an interesting point here. When I was younger I always looked forward to marriage thinking it'd be great if I could find a wife. However I now see how marriage really is, from observing my friends.

I honestly don't know now whether I'd ever be comfortable being restricted like that. I mean as much as it can sometimes be lonely being single, the idea of being tied down in marriage actually terrifies me. I even see it with my parents: My mother organising tonnes of inane social gatherings, forced upon my dad when he gets back tired from work. I don't think I could ever deal with that...
Agreed. When I was a younger man, I always wanted a girlfriend but was often AFC and sabotaged my chances at landing one. Now that I'm older, the girls I date try to lock me down and I don't want that at all right now. I think more than wanting a partner, young men want experience with women, either LTR experience or dating around. But it becomes wrapped in the fairy tale b.s. we all talk about. Right now I often miss things about being married, but more often I'm happy for the greater freedom I have now.