Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Truck Driving as a Career

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The ad says that they'll pay $900 a week after training. And the fact that I have a criminal record means I don't have many options except some retail, factory slave work and fast food.

Thoughts??

Albatross953

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No kids or tie downs, go for it. Work hard, save your money. Just remember you will probably only have 15-20 years before the trucks are automated.

Willard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not a bad job, If you have to do long haul, you have to sleep in the truck. With a criminal record you have other options like construction, tile, pool cleaning, cooking at a nice non chain restaurant and installing blinds. I have two friends with felonies, and that's what they have done.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My dad is an OTR driver.

In 10-15 years, big rigs are going to drive themselves. The days of human drivers are numbered.

If you are disciplined enough to save your money and invest in something, you might do ok. But most truck drivers are fat, smelly, lonely social outcasts. It's not a happy life.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
My dad is an OTR driver.

In 10-15 years, big rigs are going to drive themselves. The days of human drivers are numbered.

If you are disciplined enough to save your money and invest in something, you might do ok. But most truck drivers are fat, smelly, lonely social outcasts. It's not a happy life.

with family in a lot of town with is normally they route, also its kinda hard say it not a happy life I know some they say they like this life, no be tied down and always on the road, they also tend to be paid well. just remember to take a bath after deliverys and before hitting on girls you are ok lol

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear ProDJ26,
Your investment would not be entirely wasted,No knowledge is a burden to carry,but consider that you own a big rig worth say !-2 Million dollars,you have queue of applicants for a job with you...You are just starting out with a course that probably has no real recognition,no experience,and you have the record...Sorry but Truckers have insurances,they carry valuable cargoes and whatever the justice of this,they are just not allowed to employ you...Unless you have money to buy a rig yourself,your options are very limited...Buses are also out because of your record,However the course would help you get a job delivering groceries or Internet Parcels...If you are a sturdy Lad,I think your time would be better spent getting into construction....Wall and floor tiling is a relatively light and reasonable job,opportunities to start with maintenance jobs and work up,try and avoid roofing,too dangerous...Avoid anything to do with Concrete,just grinds your body to bits...Carpentry needs a lot of training..Plastering and Bricklaying take a long time to build up speed and are heavy,dusty work best avoided...But if you can find an experienced Guy in any trade and work cheaply for him,you will have a toe in the door...What about doing a course in plant operation,with a little capital you can easily get a truck and Bobcat!

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
as much demand as there is for drivers right now, you shouldn't have trouble finding a driving job. Over the road drivers are needed as bad as nurses right now, is what I'm told.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scaramouche said:
What about doing a course in plant operation,with a little capital you can easily get a truck and Bobcat!
Don't mean to sound dumb but what's that

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Prod,
Oh dear in this Country we call the ability to operate,tractors,back hoes and other heavy earth moving equipment...Plant operation...Tech Colleges give a ticket(Licence) enabling holder to operate such equipment...I am sure something analogous is offered in the States?

yun-j

Don Juan
Reaction score
You spend a lot if time on the road its potentially a dangerous job. And not to mention you get fat and very lonely.

Albatross953

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Saw your other thread. You need to take some action. Today, tomorrow, everyday. Go sign up, right now.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I say go for it. But be careful not to let them pressure you to become a owner/operator right off the bat.... doing so will mean you incur all maintenace costs. Be an employee for a few years then try to get on a dedicatef account with a major client.

Also look into getting certified for liquid transpotlrtation or hazardous material transport since that will earn you more.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Go with Schneiders, they are an awesome company with amazing trucks. They'll even pay for your schooling if you sign up for 3 years.

I would love a bobcat, or a moffat, those things are wicked cool.

Its not a bad job, its not easy though. You will see all of America and its a really nice way to see it actually. I love the flying J, it has private showers and bathrooms, decent laundry facilities and its just friggin cool to see all the different places in America and talk to other drivers. I would say do it for a couple years, you can make some decent money and have a bit of an adventure at the same time.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
My dad is an OTR driver.

Probably less than 10 years. What there will be are truck convoys in which the front truck will have a human overseer (not rally a driver anymore), with about 50 or so trucks driving themselves. Of course, this will all long haul, and regular truck drivers will still be needed to make local deliveries. But there will be vastly fewer drivers.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MatureDJ said:
Probably less than 10 years. What there will be are truck convoys in which the front truck will have a human overseer (not rally a driver anymore), with about 50 or so trucks driving themselves. Of course, this will all long haul, and regular truck drivers will still be needed to make local deliveries. But there will be vastly fewer drivers.

than the driver sindicate will complain, says it not safe for a non human truck, goverment will say its ilegal to be without a driver and in the end driver will still be needed even if just to watch the truck driving himself.

you guys are only thinking on the technology not the whole system, plus in 10 years they can produce something like that, but it will not be cheap, and drivers will complain and raise hell over it. so it will take a lot longer then 10 years to start the replace of drivers

Prime_Beef

Don Juan
Reaction score
my take...little different

Control . Self control. Most all your problems, the felony, lifestyle, daughter out of your custody and choosing an incompatible woman to have here with indicate a lack of self control and an impulse driven personality.

Truck driving for a few years could be good for you IF you use the time and solitude to learn patience and self control, anger managment, planning and organizing, and working towards goals.

Lot of time alone to self analyze, save some money, or lot of time to blow money on drugs, prostitution, food, and anger at the world. What will you do?