Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Driving stick is part of your man card...

vinkoch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hooked up with my bro's sister's friend. She wasn't hot. I would give her a generous 5. Only saw her face in a picture. So-so pretty.
Meet up at a pub. I take her for a spin down to the dock at the lake. Halfway there she starts up about her friend's husband not qualifying as a real man because he can't drive stick.
My rig is an automatic. I try to clarify. You mean know how to drive stick or they own a manual? She says, preferably own but at least know how, it's part of your man card. I say, you know this is an automatic right? She says, that's fine if that's what you feel you need.
I know how to drive stick. Last truck was s stick. I got a great deal on this rig. I don't put much thought into it. Both are fine with me.
A few more emasculating comments come. Are you gonna pass this guy? Come on now be a man and get in the fast lane.
To wrap it up. I tried to suck it up and find the patience to turn around to get her back to her car 20 min away, without appearing phased by what she said. I pulled over and told this b@$h to get out of my truck.
I was quite happy to be rid of her. Getting real fed up with people's sh!t. I shouldn't have to deal with it just to not appear to have a fragile ego.

Feel free to bash me for it.

More interested in comments about her man card statement.

ThatGuyTR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Disregard that nonsense. Unless you drive a 18-wheeler, sports car, or a bare bones Kia, driving a stick isn't really a requirement any more since most US cars only have automatic as an option. That man card statement was a $h!t test.

I would have done something crazy like randomly slam on the brakes (if nobody was behind me of course) just to scare her a bit. Then kicked her out.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I learned to drive on a stick. My current truck is the only automatic I have ever owned, and I hate it.

You took her seriously enough to let her get under your skin. Taking a woman's words seriously is the beginning of most bad experiences with them.

Come on now be a man and get in the fast lane.

"Come on now, be a good woman and learn to shut your mouth while the man is driving." :)

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agreed op whether male or female put passenger drivers in their fvcking place when they don't shut the fvck up while you're driving

vinkoch

Don Juan
Reaction score
But why bother any further with a woman who would sh!t test you with ignorant and disrespectful comments? I think too many men don't stand their ground because they don't want to appear insecure. There's a difference between being insecure and not wanting to deal with disrespect. Met many a woman in my life who would never do this crap. Those are the keepers, not emasculating woman who test your willingness to eat sh!t.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very good point.

Why bother?

There are so many, good-willing, friendly, jovial women who would never shít test you out there, it's crazy.

Even if they constituted 1% of total population, they would still be millions strong.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to have to say that a man absolutely is required to at least know how to drive a stick.

I would even go a little further and say that every man should be required to at least know how to ride a motorcycle.

Agreed that maybe she made a comment in a b!tchy way, or maybe it was a sh~t test, but there is some truth to what she said.

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
I'm going to have to say that a man absolutely is required to at least know how to drive a stick.

I would even go a little further and say that every man should be required to at least know how to ride a motorcycle.
LOL. On whose authority?

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Driving a stick has it's pros and cons. The major pro is that you have more control over the vehicle. I LOVED parking or making 3-point turns when I was driving a stick because I could pop between forward and reverse faster than an automatic. The cons are you can't really do anything while you drive, and the mandatory clutch replacement. I've never had an automatic transmission go on me.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Vincosh,
Man card?...I agree with you,but nothing to do with ego...I have never owned an automatic car...Always stick shift,reasons are all practical...I drive to go somewhere not to create an image...Automatics Hmm... from a driving point of view only different in that in that in sticky conditions you are far more likely to get bogged,if you flatten your battery you can't get a push start...But the most sensible advantage of manuals,is from the maintenance angle,sure circa every 100.000 miles you have to put a new clutch plate in,but that is easy enough to do yourself and relatively cheap...but an automatic transmission which spits the dummy after say 150.000 miles is a different proposition again,expensive and a job I for one wouldn't tackle...My current car is a Yankee cross flow headed Ford...got 620.000kms on the clock,still doesn't burn oil,or overheat...You blokes make great Engines...Hope it will see me out,because my other aversion is computers,something else I cannot sort out myself...another important advantage of older cars is that they have a roof gutter enabling one to put a substantial roof rack on...Substance is what I seek not form!

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Every single man should be required to fly an F-16. If you don't know how you're a beta AFC.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll take it a step further and say that all men should at least be trained in the use of firearms and some form of close quarters combat... no i'm not being sarcastic...

Last edited:

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
samspade said:
Every single man should be required to fly an F-16. If you don't know how you're a beta AFC.
:up: :up:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vinkoch, I think you allowed her comments to get to you way too much. But I love that you turned around and dumped her off. Who needs to listen to some worthless b!tch's comments about what being a "real man" requires? How would she have the slightest clue?

Most likely, she was hung up on some "alpha" ex-boyfriend or some dude she was crushing on who drove a stick. I've had one car with a stick before, but I prefer automatics because it's less work to drive. Who cares? It's meaningless.

Reaction score
all you have to do is ask around at the car parts shops. any town with even 5000 population will have at least one guy who repairs the more popular auto trannies, and has one of each type ready to go, sitting in his garage. He'll fix you up in 1/2 day, for< $600. if you drive some weirdo car, that's your problem, but the manual trannie is nothing more than a pita. That's why almost everyone doesn't use them any more. I've had many cars that had more than 200k miles on them, no problems with their auto transmissions. SOME however, are noted for such problems, like Chrysler Mini-vans

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_flying_dutchman said:
I'll take it a step further and say that all men should at least be trained in the use of firearms and some form of close quarters combat... no i'm not being sarcastic...
Worthless against an F-16.

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That manual trans thing might have been valid when I was in HS, but definitely not now.
I suppose you could ask her if she knows how to drive a stick...I'm talking about yours, not the car.
It was a BS test, letting it bug you flunked it. Your response could be something like "slide over here close to me and show me your feminine side, get sweet with me". After all, she is riding with you. If she doesn't like it she can get out.

I called one out once for criticizing my driving, she was being a real snot. I didn't come to a complete stop and use my turn signals correctly, out on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere. I heard this several times over the weeks. I stopped the car, shut it off and opened the door. "What are you doing" she says...

Told her if I'm not driving correctly in her county (her "thing"), she can drive us home properly. "Oh I was just kidding"... (A f'n shyt test, maybe...I think). She was a real card.

Still enjoyed her reaction though lol

62Telecaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Everybody should know how just for the sake of it...but it's kind of stupid to make it a requirement. I can drive stick about as well as the next guy can, and even I like automatics better. Call me crazy, but I bought an auto 2015 Mustang...traffic is BAD where I live and the car is a daily driver. I would go with a stick if it was a weekend vehicle, but it would honestly drive me insane with all of the crazy hills, traffic, and dumbass college kid drivers around here.

...I like paddle shifters with the nannies turned off, sport-programmed autos and DSGs can still be fun while also producing faster times than manuals these days. This type of setup is my favorite compromise and has some cool features like rev matching on downshifts. CVT trannies found in econoboxes and SUVs with paddles are terrible though. I also opted for an auto Ranger, as there's just nothing fun about driving stick in a slow truck anyway. Again, it's awesome on a weekend vehicle to have a stick with short throws...would completely go that route if living in a rural area or just as a 2nd weekend car for fun, but not when it's a daily driver in high traffic/high idiot areas where it's nice to have an auto. Ford's manual tranny is Chinese made junk in the Mustang with notchiness and well reported failures/problems...another reason why I passed. They need to update that thing already.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warrior74 said:
Worrying about what a bytch says is how you lose your man card.
This.

I can't even imagine a time since I got my driver's license where I would give a fawk about what anyone thought about driving a stick vs. an automatic.

Seriously OP you need to work on your confidence.