Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

To All Attorneys on SoSuave

logicallefty

Reaction score
I recently hired an attorney to check into a dispute for me with an organization and give me a second opinion on what I had figured out on my own. All was going great with the attorney. He told me he thought I had a good strong case and he and I got along great.

Then he had a phone call with the other side's attorney earlier this week. He called me up after and told me that the other attorney said "you guys have no case" and "I have never been beaten on this type of case.. give it up!".

My response was "I think the other attorney is trying to intimidate us into dropping the case. I am not an attorney but I know this is a standard tactic that many attorneys use. I am not falling for it" That made him mad when I said I knew that.

Then he tells me that this attorney is in bed with the only Judge who handles these case in our area so no matter what we will not win.

So I told him, OK, if we file and get that Judge we will file a "substitution of Judge" by right which I know you can do by Illinois law. I have done it before PRO SE on a case many years ago. This set him off more!!

My attorney told me to quit telling me how to do his job. He told me how he doesn't want to do anything to get the opposing attorney in trouble and will not substitute the Judge if we get the one we think we will..

I said "So who are you working for? What time are you and the other attorney playing golf next week?".

He ranted more and told me he doesn't want my case anymore, which I think he had decided on that before anyway, and I had also decided to b00t him.

So, SS attorneys, why did me having some knowledge of attorneys and the law make him so angry?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All he can do about the other lawyer is complain to the state bar association, and they're not going to do anything. Regarding the judge, your attorney is worried about pissing him off, and then having to go in front of him at a later date with a different case.

logicallefty

Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
All he can do about the other lawyer is complain to the state bar association, and they're not going to do anything. Regarding the judge, your attorney is worried about pissing him off, and then having to go in front of him at a later date with a different case.
Right! I was wondering if it had something to do with his future relationship with the Judge. I am not an attorney but I do respect that an attorney must preserve their reputation and future relationship. On the other hand I am his client and I just wish he had been more honest with me like "sorry, Lefty, but I may have to see this Judge again multiple more times for more than just one client like yourself, I do not want to jepordize anything. Judges hate getting booted". Instead, he goes off on me and blames me for everything, just like my ex I just dumped. (and the one before her and before her and before her and before her and before her and before her and.....) YEAH... Anyway... I had an Email typed comparing him to all HERs but I didn't send it. I just let it go. Its still sitting in my drafts.

Thank you Bible for the response.

logicallefty

Reaction score
You guys have all confirmed my original thoughts about what was really going on in the attorney's mind, I knew more than he wanted me to know.

He actually Emailed me today and said I will be getting some of my money back, so I respect him for that. Not going to do any Bar complaints. Wasn't going to before he said he would refund me, but that's a little good news for me this week. If he send me even a few hundred bux I will be happy.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Then he tells me that this attorney is in bed with the only Judge who handles these case in our area so no matter what we will not win.
At least he told you this^ vs. bull$hitting you the whole time all while taking your money.

The world ain't black and white. You have to pick and choose your battles. As was mentioned, in this case (no pun intended), it's best just to cut your losses and try again with someone else. Lesson learned.

logicallefty

Reaction score
The attorney emailed me today and all but apologized. He told me that he thought I could handle the case PRO SE with no attorney, sent me a list of tips, but then said he would still represent me if I still wanted his service. I am gonna shop around a little and at some point will probably Email him back and say "no thanks but I really appreciate the offer." If I can't find another attorney that does these cases I may go ahead and keep him.

logicallefty

Reaction score
Attorney called me again today. I answered and talked.

Today he said "I am sorry if you thought I was being a d|ck. It's just that I struggle to get clients to fill out simple paperwork that I task them with, and here you come, giving me all of these documents right off the bat without me asking. I am not used to that Lefty. Please don't think that my ego was at play with you as a result of having a client that is just as smart as me. Going to law school does not mean everything . I think you have a pretty good handle on your case though"

I replied "Well thanks. But you have been an attorney for what, 30 years did you say? I never wanted to step on your toes, just wanted the best outcome for myself"

He said "Yes 36 years actually. But Lefty I can't promise you I can do you any better than you can do on your own. And I don't need you reporting me to the Bar or any of that if I represent you and we loose"

I told him "I will not report you to the Bar. (and I wont) And while I appreciate your confidence in me, I would still like to retain you for representation. If I go PRO SE and loose I will always wonder if having you would have made a difference "

he said "yes of course, I would be happy to take the case"

So yeah I love this guy's honesty.. I think he got overwhelmed by the documents I gave and my knowledge of my case and the legal system in general.. but I am not an attorney, he is.

I think he has told me like it is. So I retained him. I am not an attorney but I do respect what they do. It's not an easy job.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like he grew a pair and talked to you like a man should. But if he throws another temper tantrum, move on.