Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

difference going to a regular barbershop versus a expensive hair stylist

thunder_god

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm curious if its worth it to spend the extra money? I usually get a pretty basic haircut that costs me $8 plus $1 tip. I've seen a few places charging upwards of $35 for a haircut.

U

user43770

Depends on how much you like your barber. Personally, I always went to barbers, but they were guys that I knew I could trust. They were always small, local shops where everybody knew your name. Not sure about your area; the barbers there may ruin your sh1t. It's all subjective.

But I will say that if you're paying 8 dollars, and you're happy, you can't beat that. I paid a lot more for a good haircut from a barber 10 years ago.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would say it depends how many hair and how long your everyday haircut is, the more and the longer, the easier to screw up.

If you have a receiding hairline and are used to a simple clean haircut a normal barber will do...btw wish I had the hair I had 10yrs ago....such threads bring me back to the past..

Jokes apart if you have enough hair in terms of quality and quantity, a professional hairdresser can really make the difference.

Maximus Rex

Banned
Reaction score
The Difference Between a Men's Salon and a Barbershop

http://www.gqfallriver.com/mens-salon-vs-barber-shop.html

What’s the Difference Between a Men’s Salon and a Barber Shop? Most men don’t keep up on the different titles used for different services, they just know what they need to get done and then try to find a place that will do it for them. However, things have changed over the years and the services that you once received at a barber shop might not be available at your local store.

On the other hand, the word “salon” has changed much over the years as well, and no longer solely implies a service for ladies, such as a beauty shop. A salon can be used to describe a men’s service, a ladies’ service or a service that serves both men and women.

This article will once-and-for-all define the difference between these businesses, what type of services you can expect to find there and hopefully, give you insight into which one is right for you.

Business #1 – The Men’s Salon

This type of business has been designed specifically to service male customers in a variety of different ways. Hair cutting, styling, shaving and other types of grooming are usually all available at one of these establishments. Choose a salon based upon the services they provide and the reputation or talent of the stylist.

For example, Gentlemans Quarters in Fall River is owned and operated by respected stylists from the local community who have over 50 years’ combined experience. They offer a wide variety of salon experiences and cater specifically to male clientele. In addition to the typical shave, haircut and hairstyling, this particular business also offers a classic hot lather shave, a variety of massage services and some other surprising options, like waxing and facials.

Business #2 – The Women’s Salon

It goes without saying that a salon for women is a salon for women. However, many of these salons will also do haircuts for men. While they won’t offer the type of specialized services that you will find at a men’s salon, you most likely won’t be turned away if you decide to come in for a haircut or a manicure.

Business #3 – The Barber Shop

You may have heard stories about your father or grandfather going down to the barber shop for a shave and a trim. While there still are some old-fashioned establishments – complete with the traditional barber pole – that do business this way, the services offered at a typical barber shop today are much different than they were just a few years ago.

The technicians at a barber shop today are trained to cut shorter, more traditional male haircuts, such as flattops, buzz cuts and fades. While some barber shops do offer shaves as part of their service menu, they aren’t likely to include a facial massage, skin treatment or other spa-like options. With the exception of a very few barber shops that blur the line between salon services and traditional barber cuts, most barber shops are just there to basically cut hair or style it into flat tops and other popular shaved designs, not to give you a fully-styled cut.

How Do I Choose?

The best way to choose between these three types of businesses is to think about what you want. What do you expect from your grooming experience? Are you looking for additional services beyond a basic haircut or do you want your hair to be simply shaved down military-style? Would you like to go to a service that caters to men, or do you not mind hanging out with women customers while you get your hair styled and your nails done? It’s all a matter of preference.

The number one service that men receive when they come to a men’s salon is a haircut, but because these businesses can accommodate a full line of other grooming and relaxation services, they have really grown in popularity. The hair styles offered at a men’s salon are also much more trendy and fashion-forward than barber shops, so if all of these extras are important to you, or you are interested in trying some of them out, then a men’s salon is right for you.

Sometimes the best way to choose an establishment is by reputation and word-of-mouth. Talk to co-workers, friends and even family members to find out where they go, and what they think about the services they receive. If you are looking for a classic men’s salon in the Fall River area, make sure to take a look at Gentlemans Quarters, which is opening fall 2012 on Main Street. The full line-up of services, options and treatments that are offered will provide a much-needed service to the people of Fall River, Westport, Taunton, Newport and all throughout the Southern New England area.

Maximus Rex

Banned
Reaction score
How to Choose a Barber vs Salon

http://menshair.about.com/od/yoursalonvisit/a/barberorstylist.htm

I'm quite often asked, "Should I go to a barber or salon?" The answer to that question depends on a number of factors. Just as you wouldn't go to a cardiologist for brain surgery, you won't want to go to a salon for a flattop. Likewise, a barber isn't likely to give you a long shag with chunky highlights. Deciding how to chose a barber or salon for the right men's hairstyle can be tricky.

The main difference between the two types of haircutters is that barbers are typically trained to cut shorter, traditional haircuts for men while salon stylists are trained to cut longer, fuller men's styles. A barber's primary focus is cutting men's hair.

Conversely, a salon stylist receives more training in the art of styling hair for women. With the industry trend moving toward more upscale barbershops and salons for men, the line between barbers and stylists is becoming blurred. Follow the tips below for choosing the right professional for your style.

Go to a barber if...

you're looking for a short, traditional style haircut such as a buzzcut, flattop, fade, or military style cut.

you're on a budget. Most barbers are cheaper than stylists, so you can save a bit of money going to a good barber.

you're looking to keep it simple. Barbers will typically cut your hair in a manner that allows it to look good naturally, without a lot of styling product.
you want a shave. Many upscale barbershops offer hot lather face shaves which are a real treat. I strongly recommend getting one several times per year.

you're looking to escape. Barbershops can be a great source of comraderie between guys. Typically no frills places, barbershops are a uniquely male gathering spot.

you don't like change. Barbers will ask you how you want your hair cut and do what you ask, normally without much feedback.

Go to a salon stylist if...

you're going longer. Stylists generally have more experience cutting and styling longer hair.

you want color. Most barbers do not do a great deal of color services, so
you'll likely find better results from a stylist.

you're looking for a more fashion forward style. A stylist is normally more aware of current trends than a barber.

you want a change. During the consultation, a stylist will often make suggestions for a style that will flatter your features better.

you need product. Salons frequently carry a greater selection of hairstyling products than barbershops. Stylists are more likely to be well-trained on the types and use of the products as well.

The above guidelines are generalizations and not every barber or salon stylist will fit completely into each skill set. I am a stylist by license, but have built a career doing only men's hair. I can do a flawless flattop or a long razor shag with the best of them and enjoy performing each type of cut equally. Many of today's barbers are skilled in longer and trendy styles while there are many stylists who are experts in cutting traditional barber styles.

To choose the appropriate profession, I suggest finding a guy with a style similar to what you're looking for and asking him where he got it cut. If you live in a larger area, you may also be able to find a modern barbershop or men's salon, which blend traditional barbering with modern style.

Of course, maintaining a great looking head of hair involves more than finding a good barber or stylist, but this is a great start. For more information on how to get the best haircut from your barber or stylist, read my tips on making the most of your salon visit.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maximus Rex said:
http://www.gqfallriver.com/mens-salon-vs-barber-shop.html

Business #1 – The Men’s Salon

For example, Gentlemans Quarters in Fall River is owned and operated by respected stylists from the local community who have over 50 years’ combined experience. They offer a wide variety of salon experiences and cater specifically to male clientele. In addition to the typical shave, haircut and hairstyling, this particular business also offers a classic hot lather shave, a variety of massage services and some other surprising options, like waxing and facials.
Im sure its nutrient and great for the skin right?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the barber gives me a better hair cut, but the salon ads stuff like a shave with a straight razor and a neck massage and other **** like that. but when i just need a solid line or a trim, you go to the ghetto part of town and get you a barber

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I started going to the girl who cuts my hair about twelve years ago, honestly mostly just because she's smoking hot. But she's also great at what she does, especially now. She teaches at the local college. She works at a snooty salon right now, hot milfs everywhere. I pay $15 and tip her $5. I think it looks much better than Mastercuts or some cheapo place. The haircut seems to last longer as well, so the cost over time is not much more than a cheap place.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've spent $14 ($20 with tip) on a haircut for ten years. My barber cuts it exactly how I like it and he never forgets. I know I'm getting a great haircut - that's the difference. Salons have always been a ripoff, unless you're in a strange town.

I also can get a shave from the barber if I want, straight edge, for another $10. Not my cup of tea but it's an option. He does shave the back of the neck with the straight edge, included in the haircut.

B

BeDJ

If you spend more than $20 average month for a haircut, I would say you are a beta faggot. Women don't spend anymore than that on make-up. Why even tip over 20% for what their job is?

BTW I'm an alpha male with a fvcked up haircut teehee :)

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I stopped shaving my head in 2009, I decided to go to a barber (Was all I could afford at the time). Over time, we tried different things I wanted to do until he told me to let him do his job. Ever since then, I've kept the same style and it's great.

He knows exactly how to cut it.

As much as I can afford going to a salon now, he knows exactly what I want... I know everyone there and I know I am supporting a local business prosper.

I always get compliments after as well. So it's not like it's bad either, quite the opposite.

Maximummax

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the businesses like super cuts, great clip are garbage...the people who work there do a bad job... i went there several times all the time bad hair cut. never a good one.
i choose expensive like 25-35$ hair salon because they pay attnetion to their job and do exactly how i say

thunder_god

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I just decided to give it a try today. I went to some mid range -high end barbershop to get a haircut. I tried the hair salon first but they said they had no free times today even though the whole salon was empty wtf. The barbershop charged me $25. The barber did a half assed crap job. He didn't even cut it short enough so that it would get longer faster and hence make me come back. Their was water still dripping down my face as he didn't even bother to wipe my face properly with the towel when he was washing my hair, which btw he spend literally 30 sec on. Needless to say I didn't tip the dude, nor will I be coming back. Now I need to go back to my regular barber and get my hair fixed tomorrow and spend even more money.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thunder_god said:
Ok I just decided to give it a try today. I went to some mid range -high end barbershop to get a haircut. I tried the hair salon first but they said they had no free times today even though the whole salon was empty wtf. The barbershop charged me $25. The barber did a half assed crap job. He didn't even cut it short enough so that it would get longer faster and hence make me come back. Their was water still dripping down my face as he didn't even bother to wipe my face properly with the towel when he was washing my hair, which btw he spend literally 30 sec on. Needless to say I didn't tip the dude, nor will I be coming back. Now I need to go back to my regular barber and get my hair fixed tomorrow and spend even more money.
Are you sure you simply dont look/dress/carry yourself bad and people dont want to deal with you?

I dont know you so no idea but if a salon is empty but refuse you saying that is all booked, while in an other different place the barber is so in a hurry for you to leave that doest even dry your face or cut your hair fully maybe there is something more.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An extremely important factor to me, is the intelligence/educational level of the person who cuts me. I've been going to the same salon for the last 10 years, everybody there is of mid to high educational level.

A person may have great TECHNICAL skills, meaning the way he handles the scissors etc. This means he can do anything you ask of him, IN THEORY! But if he lacks communicative skills and the ability to understand EXACTLY what you want, then you won't get what you want anyway...

Haircutters of lower intelligence/educational level generally tend to think in simple terms and apply only a few concepts in their thinking. Basically, if you were to present them with two well-known typical haircuts and then ask them to make your hair look like a COMBINATION of those two, they won't be able to do it. They just know A and B and aren't able to think outside the box. They're like machines that operate on an assembly line and can't deviate from their program.

They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity or remorse or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, EVER, until your hair is ruined! :p

They will turn your hair into the image that THEY have in their mind, not the image that YOU have in your mind...

So choose a haircutter with higher intelligence/educational level (good technical skills are an obvious must-have), they are better at UNDERSTANDING what you have in mind and are able to THINK ALONG THE SAME LINES AS YOU.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Women key on little things - your shoes, your watch....

What makes you think that they aren't doing the same with your head?

A good cut will go for a month, a regular men's haircut about two weeks.

Compare value, not cost.

Maximus Rex

Banned
Reaction score
How to Pick a Barber

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/08/18/how-to-pick-a-barber/

Unfortunately, many men today are missing out on the benefits of having a regular barber. As the barbershop tradition has faded, modern men just end up going to the closest unisex salon to get their hair cut. And each time they get they go, they end up with a different stylist and are forced to explain over and over again how they’d like it done. But “a little off the sides” means one thing to one stylist and another thing to another stylist. Stylists also have the tendency (in my experience) to try to correct what they see as mistakes that a previous barber/stylist made. Consequently, a man who goes to a unisex chain salon walks out with a completely different haircut at each visit. Not a good thing if you’re trying to maintain a consistent image.

Every man needs a reliable, skilled barber in his life. Having a regular barber will ensure that you get a consistent, sharp haircut with every visit. You can go in for a trim before a big interview without gambling on whether or not you’ll come out looking like you were attacked by a weed whacker.

Good barbers have a memory like an elephant. As you visit a first rate barber regularly, he’ll become familiar with the many contours of your head and the complexities of your hair and will know how to cut and style your hair just the way you like it. You’ll be able to walk in and simply ask for “the usual.” Plus, your barber can become a good friend, someone you can be comfortable shooting the breeze with and look forward to seeing every few weeks.

But how does a man go about forging this important relationship and finding a good barber? How do you know when a barber is a keeper? To help steer you in the right direction, I called up The Gent’s Place in Frisco, TX and talked to Ben Davis, the owner, and his master barber with 20+ years experience, Von Jackson.

Before You Enter the Shop

Ask around. If you’re new in town or aren’t happy with your current barber situation, the first thing you should do is ask people you know for recommendations. Especially seek out recommendations from men who always seem to have awesome haircuts. Chances are they have a great barber that they’d be more than happy to recommend to you.

Search online. After asking people you know for barber recommendations, check out what the hive mind of the web has to say. In order to find more masculine establishments as opposed to foo-fooey unisex places, Ben and Von suggested that you run Google searches with keywords like “men’s grooming in x-city” or “barbershops in x-town.” Also, check out barbershop reviews on sites like citysearch.com and yelp.com. Finally, be sure to take a gander at the AoM’s world famous barbershop locator. Hundreds of shops have been added to it and the database grows daily.

When You’re at the Shop

Look for confidence. This is a man you’re going to be trusting your noggin to, so you want a barber who’s supremely confident in his abilities to sculpt your hair into a masterpiece. Confident barbers will look you in the eye, smile, and give you a firm manly handshake when you first walk in. If a barber you visit for the first time avoids eye contact and gives you the limp fish, it could be a warning sign that he’s not that confident in his abilities.

You also want a barber who can confidently tell you what would work best for you depending on your requests and your face shape and structure. Barbers without much experience or confidence in their craft will do exactly what the client says, even if what the client asks for will look like crap. A good barber will have the stones to speak up and offer suggestions to the client to help guide them to something more suited for their face. Of course, if the client insists on his crappy cut, a good barber will do exactly what the client asks.

Check how well groomed the barber is. Give a new barber the once over. How is his personal grooming? Chances are if the barber has a crummy haircut and shave, he gives crummy haircuts and shaves. How is his clothing? Pressed and clean? This kind of attention to detail will likely carry over into the haircuts he gives. A great barber takes his personal appearance seriously because he’s in the business of helping men with their personal and professional image.

Take note of the shop’s cleanliness. If just looking in a certain shop makes your head itch, turn and walk the other way. Of course, most city health regulations have eliminated the “lice shops” that were once common in the 19th and early 20th centuries, but sometimes shops get lost in the bureaucracy, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.

In addition to the checking how sanitary the place is, just look for overall organization and order. Again, a barber with an eye for detail will make sure his shop and working area are in tiptop shape. If you notice that a barber has tools all over the place and mounds of hair under the chair, that kind of sloppiness may end up reflected in your hair cut.

Does the barber ask the right questions? When you sit down in the barber chair and the barber puts the hair drape around your neck, listen to see if the barber asks the right questions. Davis says if the first question the barber asks you is, “What number do you want on the sides?” run out of the shop immediately. Barbers who rely solely on clipper guards to cut hair tend to be lazy and unskilled. Besides, haircuts done with just clippers tend to be mediocre. I mean, come on. You can give yourself a haircut if you know what number guard to put on the clippers. Why pay a man $10 to do something you could do yourself?

Jackson says a good barber will ask you questions like, “What do you like about your hair?” “What don’t you like?” “Do you want to change your style?”

Does the barber ask for feedback during the cut? During the haircut, a good barber will stop and ask you for feedback. They’ll let you look in a mirror and ask if your hair is still too long or if your hairline’s shape on the back of your neck is to your suiting. By asking for constant feedback during the haircut, a good barber can preempt any haircut disasters. Bad barbers, of course, won’t ask you for feedback until they swivel you around in the chair to look in the mirror. By then it’s too late. You’re destined to walk the streets looking like a doofus until your next haircut.

Conduct an interview. When you visit a new barber, he’s applying for a new position as the go-to man for all your grooming needs. As with hiring any new employee, make sure to conduct a solid interview in order to get a feel for whether he’s the right man for the job. Davis suggested that your questions focus on two areas: the barber’s experience and the barber’s personality.

To get an idea of the barber’s experience, ask him how long he’s been cutting hair and where he’s barbered. If he’s a relative noob, tread carefully. Unless you’re willing to be this man’s practice head, find a barber with more experience. Also, Davis suggested that you ask the barber how busy he is. Great barbers have lots of clients. If he tells you he’s on his feet from open until close and that you need an appointment to see him, you’ve probably found yourself a quality barber. If he says that he spends most of his time playing checkers with the local crazy person and that you can walk in anytime, well, there’s probably a reason for that.

After you get an idea about his experience and how in demand he is, ask some questions to get a feel for his personality. After all, you’ll possibly be spending 30 minutes with this person at least once a month, maybe more if you go in every two weeks. Part of the appeal of the barbershop tradition is the camaraderie men enjoy there. If your personality clashes with the barber’s, it can suck all the joy out of getting a haircut.

Davis also recommend taking mental notes on any clues about the barber’s personal life. Barbers and hair stylists are notorious for having a lot of drama in their lives. If they say stuff about switching shops because they didn’t get along with the owner or they’re having lots of family problems, this is a warning sign that you won’t be able to count on them. Barbers with lots of drama in their lives have a tendency to cancel or show up late for appointments. Eventually, they end up leaving and have to go to another shop. Even if the barber cuts hair like a genius, it might be more trouble than it’s worth to fit your schedule around a barber’s personal turmoil. Go with someone more reliable.

Start out slow. Of course once you’ve gone in and talked to a barber, even if you’re feeling like he’s not the right guy for the job, it’s hard just to get up and walk out. And even if you’re thinking that a new barber fits the bill, you won’t know for sure until he cuts your hair. The best way to figure out how skilled the barber is without risking a dopey hair cut is to simply ask that he clean up your hair line around your ear and your neck. It’s hard too screw up and even if he does, it’s not too noticeable. Just from the 10 to 15 minutes you’re with him and the quality of the trim, you should be able to get a good idea if the barber is a keeper or not.

thunder_god

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who Dares Win said:
Are you sure you simply dont look/dress/carry yourself bad and people dont want to deal with you?

I dont know you so no idea but if a salon is empty but refuse you saying that is all booked, while in an other different place the barber is so in a hurry for you to leave that doest even dry your face or cut your hair fully maybe there is something more.
Oh ya good way of passing the blame onto the customer for piss poor service. I go to two different barbershops on a regular basis (one where my parents house is, and one where I live now) and both times have received good service. I only decided to try these so called "high end" places because my friend suggested I try something new and different. The high end hair salon asked me if I wanted to book an appointment for later that week because they had no one available that day, whereas the other place was just $hit. The barber who cut my hair was just sitting on his ass watching tv when I went in, while his coworker was busy cutting people's hair. The barber who cut my hair was fat, unkept, and had an attitude problem saying to me "its just hair, it'll grow back", like seriously wtf, who says $hit like that to a customer?