Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Machines for a noob?

Dan08

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wanting to bulk over the coming months in the gym. Kind of a rookie. Looking to get some size using the machines before feeling confident to jump to the free weights and really hit my muscles hard.

Is this doable to pack on some size using machines first?

MOTU

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, you can get bigger and stronger using machines. But if you want to eventually do free weights, why not start with them? Just don't over do it on the weight.

Most gyms offer one free session with a trainer, do that and take notes. If you can afford to keep the trainer a while, even better.

If you go the forums over at bodybuilding.com there are some great beginners routines.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whatever makes things fun for you until the habit is ingrained and it's something you look forward to doing. Don't think free weights versus machines, think ease of access and fun while learning something new. Dumbbells aren't hard to figure out, nor are preloaded bars. Start with a blend of compound movements regardless of machines or other that make you feel great as you show progress in strength. Half on lower body and core, half upper, balanced push and pull. That's it. DON'T look in the mirror and weigh frequently. DO get psyched when you go up five pounds with form. Stay away from lots of specialized advice for intermediate and advanced, don't overthink, just go and get in 20-30 sets of ten at 65-70% single rep max until it gets to be second nature. That could be a month, probably three or more though. Down the road you can streamline all you want, now build the habit as a foundation of your life that you love. Good luck.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your gym has Free Motion machines I highly recommend using them. Studies have shown they are as effective if not more effective at stimulating target muscles as free weights without the associated potential risks of free weights...

I personally love them but also do free weights as well

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't even bother with machines. Just start with lighter free weights you are comfortable with to get used to the movements and build up your stabilizer muscles. As you get comfortable, keeps progressing in weights but I stress don't try to ramp up real quick.

Don't get me wrong, there are machines I use and like, but they just don't replace big compound movements with free weights (bench press, overhead press, deadlift squat).