Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Are push-ups redundant to bench presses?

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys,

I like doing push-ups as they seem to work the core as well as the arms and chest. However, I'm wondering if push-ups and bench presses are redundant.

I would like to do push-ups every day, but my concern is that with presses 3X a week I'm over-working the involved muscles and not giving them proper recovery time. Bear in mind I'm 57, but in better shape than probably 98% of my peers.

FWIW I use those rotating push-up platforms with the handles in order to save my wrists. Thanks for any advice.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to do push-ups as a warm-up before my upper body workouts, though like any muscles you do need rest and recovery. On the other hand doing push-ups with just ur body weight wont really be taxing on your CNS...

I'd say this, if your doing push-ups everyday and you start loosing strength with your pressing movements; cut back on push-ups. If not, keep doing what works.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think so. A couple years ago when I started working out on a more regular basis, I started doing pushups and did this for a couple of months. When I was able to do 30 push-ups without stopping, I started asking myself "how much more do I want to go? 50? 100? If so, what's the point?" I realized my body weight could only do so much for me, so I moved on to bench pressing.

I much prefer doing a set of, maybe 8-10 reps of much heavier weight rather than a set of 50 reps with lighter (body) weight.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally think they are. If you can do any movement for over 10 reps, I think you have crossed the diminishing returns line. At that point, you are just doing aerobic conditioning.

I do push-ups, but I use weight (many times, I have my kids lay on top of me). I'll do the plyometric ones too where I explode up and clap. But just pounding out 50 regular push-ups never helped me grow. I'm sure it was a good calorie burner, but I never saw significant development of my chest that way, so I lost interest. I'll do some diamond push-ups for the triceps, but even that seems like a waste of time compared to 10 reps on the dip bar.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
I personally think they are. If you can do any movement for over 10 reps, I think you have crossed the diminishing returns line. At that point, you are just doing aerobic conditioning.

I do push-ups, but I use weight (many times, I have my kids lay on top of me). I'll do the plyometric ones too where I explode up and clap. But just pounding out 50 regular push-ups never helped me grow. I'm sure it was a good calorie burner, but I never saw significant development of my chest that way, so I lost interest. I'll do some diamond push-ups for the triceps, but even that seems like a waste of time compared to 10 reps on the dip bar.
This. Dips are one of my favorite chest/tri workouts. Especially weighted dips. I like to strap on a 45 lb plate and crank out 3 sets of 10.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love doing elevated pushups with plates on my back after doing bench...I do one set til failure and that works the hell out of your chest...

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great advice. I'm going to experiment, continue doing pushups but staying aware of the effect if any on my bench work.

I don't think I mentioned my main issue is my joints... they fail far before my muscles do. I was that way even as a teen. So I've got to watch my elbows.

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Herschel Walker did/does 1,000 or either 1,500 pushups and 3,000 sit-ups every day and never touched a weight until he got to college. That guy is 50+ and is ripped.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Robert28 said:
Herschel Walker did/does 1,000 or either 1,500 pushups and 3,000 sit-ups every day and never touched a weight until he got to college. That guy is 50+ and is ripped.
Yeah, because he wasn't a freak of nature.

Normal guys really need to filter out some of the unrealistic stuff when looking at the habits/routines of the more natural athletes, like a Herschel Walker or Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
Yeah, because he wasn't a freak of nature.

Normal guys really need to filter out some of the unrealistic stuff when looking at the habits/routines of the more natural athletes, like a Herschel Walker or Arnold Schwarzeneggar.
Neither he nor Arnold is a "freak of nature", they're "freaks of steroid injection" and natural guys should indeed be aware of that.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AttackFormation said:
Neither he nor Arnold is a "freak of nature", they're "freaks of steroid injection" and natural guys should indeed be aware of that.
They may have used steroids, but don't sit here and try to deny that those two were not genetically gifted beyond anything normal people can hope to attain, as pertains to bodybuilding and athletics. It's a waste of time to debate that.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Steroids are overplayed. I've done them. I can show you dudes who hold ELITE records in powerlifting who have never touched a roid, and guys who use them in frightening quantities who couldn't even qualify for a national meet. It's the same with bodybuilding and other sports.

The 0.1% guys like Arnold or Herschel Walker or any elite tier athlete you can think of would all be awesome with or without steroids. Of course these drugs help performance. No denying that. But what separates them from the rest of the world is 1) genetics, 2) work ethic and consistency, and 3) a bit of luck.

Pulling the "sterroddddzz" card is the mark of a loser, a novice, or both.

Oh and re: the OP, I'd only use push ups as an adjunct. In other words, do them as a warm-up or after your bench work for max reps to really fatigue and engorge those muscles.

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They may have used steroids, but don't sit here and try to deny that those two were not genetically gifted beyond anything normal people can hope to attain, as pertains to bodybuilding and athletics. It's a waste of time to debate that.
I didn't deny that, I said that Herschel Walker and Arnold Schwarzenegger did not achieve their physiques drug free and so you should not be using them for comparison unless you are also on drugs. What do you qualify as being "genetically gifted"?

Steroids are overplayed. I've done them. I can show you dudes who hold ELITE records in powerlifting who have never touched a roid, and guys who use them in frightening quantities who couldn't even qualify for a national meet. It's the same with bodybuilding and other sports.

The 0.1% guys like Arnold or Herschel Walker or any elite tier athlete you can think of would all be awesome with or without steroids. Of course these drugs help performance. No denying that. But what separates them from the rest of the world is 1) genetics, 2) work ethic and consistency, and 3) a bit of luck.

Pulling the "sterroddddzz" card is the mark of a loser, a novice, or both.
Please do show me.

I agree that you can still have good genetics for bodybuilding such as short tendons for fuller muscle bellies, a good workout ethic and luck, but to claim that makes a bigger difference than steroid injection? You'd have to be lying to yourself on purpose to believe that.

You mean exposing false claims of being drug free is the mark of a loser? you lost me there man.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your experiencing any elbow or joint pain, Id make sure your form and technique is correct first. Or maybe that movement isnt right for you. On the other hand being more mature age. You may want to invest into some wrist wraps and or elbow sleeves. Just my two cents, good luck!