Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

over 40 fitness

Albatross953

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just wondering for those of us approaching middle age...how fit are you?

Can you run 5k?
Do you lift?
What sports do you do?
Any sports that are good for meeting women?

MOTU

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I let myself get out of shape pretty badly - 70lbs overweight - and have been back on track for about 2yrs. I have about 12lbs to go, but I have been focused more on lifting for the last 6mos or so, so while my gut continues to shrink, my weight is dropping more slowly.

I can tell you that how people treat me is completely different now that I look strong. Both men and women.

I don't play any organized sports but there are lots of them around here, including running clubs, tennis, about anything you can think of.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
40 yo. Strictly heavy weight training, little/no cardio, for 20 years.

Stats: 195 lbs, fluctuating 8-10% body fat, lean and muscular.

Lifts:1 rp max bench 405;1 rp max deadlift 485; 1 rp max squat in the bucket 505

No sports; too busy.

Victory Unlimited

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
  • Over 40
  • Lift weights (full body workout---mostly compound movements with a few isolated exercises thrown in at the end) at least 3 x week. I try to make an effort to just relax and sit on my @ss at least once a week.
  • Do HIIT Cardio (High Intensity Interval Training) on non-weight training days 3 x week.
  • Play no organized sports because there are few guys in my social circle who are fit enough to engage. (sad but true).
Special Note:

I'm NOT a bodybuilder, but I do look like I'm in pretty good shape---because I've been making some significant gains in spite of myself. So ever since this summer hit, I've noticed that I've been getting A LOT of attention from women of all ages (especially YOUNGER WOMEN) that DID NOT give me that same attention during the winter months.

The Reason?

Well it's definitely not because I'm some huge, muscled up dude---No, it's because I've actually been paying far more close attention this summer to WHAT i wear and HOW my clothes actually fit.

It's not talked about much on here, but I'd recommend that every guy make a deliberate effort to wear clothes that actually FIT.

Yeah, I know that it might sound like some pretty basic advice, but you'd be surprised how many guys (I'd say probably "most") just simply buy clothes that are the WRONG size---and/or don't ever have them tailored to make them fit any better.

FYI -

I've actually been "micro-cutting" for the past two months and am now about 10 pounds smaller-----but I actually look BIGGER-----and I can attribute this mostly to simply wearing clothes that actually fukking fit me. Imagine that!

In my personal experience, I've found that though clothes don't necessarily "make" the man----HOW he looks as he wears his clothes DOES get the attention of women.

But to be perfectly honest, the hardcore truth is that I'm on a mission out here to primarily try my best to only "visit" hospitals---rather than have to "stay" in them. God willing...

Peace...one day.

V.U.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whether 160 or 240 lbs, body fat levels are paramount, with 10% being ideal. Look at the chart below for a visual.

http://http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-koEUmGC-j7M/UVsKx8LJTcI/AAAAAAAAAIc/VQLnf7cEZgs/s320/body+fat.jpg

Below 8%, which is incredibly hard to achieve, you reveal too much vascularity, which can be a woman repellant. At 10%, you become an icon, as long as you reveal at least a little muscle mass, and as VU mentions, with fitted clothes as a facilitator. I find my ideal weight (most approachable) at 10% is 200 lbs at 6'1.

Note: For most men, a 10 lb fat loss is the difference between 10 and 15%.

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In regards to the chart which gives an indication of bf levels. The chart uses images of a juiced up bodybuilder in competition shape, while the others are at varying levels of fitness. I don't feel this gives a good indication. Another thing which is contradictory is the use of scales which measure bf levels, many people are going by this as opposed to pinch or caliper tests which measure the thickness of skin.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
020204 said:
... while the others are at varying levels of fitness.
As are we, SS members. Bf tests are contradictory. I find the most effective bf estimator is a trained eye:

15%: (1) Appear that you work out; (2) Little vascularity in arms and forearms; (3) Abs vaguely show when flexed; (4) No clear separation of muscle groups.

10%: (1) Appear as a fitness model; (2) Prominent vascularity in arms and forearms, and slightly in legs; (3) All abs show while unflexed; (4) Clear separation of all muscle groups.

< 8%: (1) Appear competition preparatory or ready; (2) Vascularity in shoulders, chest, and abs; (3) Striations appear in most muscle groups.

The foregoing is a guideline. Discrepancies can occur:

1. Water retention may give the illusion of higher bf levels. Contrariwise, taking a diuretic or water loss may give the illusion of lower bf levels.
  2. Fat dispositions are not identical: My friend holds 20% bf estimated and has chest vascularity and a tub full of fat around his waist. Our fat depositories vary, but the above delineates a guideline to work from, as opposed to, or to augment with, contradictory bf tests.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
At 63, I train for endurance, strength and flexibility.

4 consecutive days each week - 30 minutes cardio (rowing/running alternate days), weights/core alternate days, stretches (yoga) every day.

Little time left for sports other than pickup basketball. Can easily manage 5Ks but make them only a couple of meets a year.

I won't ever reach 10% body fat this way but am more fit than nearly everyone I meet.

Tennis, racquetball, squash, bicycling are all things you can do where women are. If you want to meet boatloads of women, take a yoga class!

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's great TicTac. Kudos to you:up:

To lower bf, you just need a few hundred calorie deficit daily with higher protein intake, irrespective of training method.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm approaching 33, but I have noticed a slight increase in difficulty as far as staying in REAL shape as I've passed 30. I used to powerlift competitively but now am more interested in overall fitness.

I'm currently about 215, 12-15% BF. 5'11".

I lift moderately heavy, compound movements, 2-3x per week. Primarily bench, press, full squats, and rows.

I run a 5k 1-2x per week, and do a strenuous 10-15 mile day hike at least once a week at high altitude.

I eat reasonably clean, but if I am starting to lose weight I will pack in some pizzas, burgers, chocolate, etc to maintain calories. When doing cardio 2-3x a week I lose body weight very quickly.

All this and I'd consider myself in moderately good shape. Where I live, no matter how fit you think you are, there is always someone leaner, stronger, faster. Helps to keep it in perspective.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
I'm currently about 215, 12-15% BF. 5'11".
Excellent muscle mass. If you were single, you would be a heartbreaker at 10-12%. 12-15%, I find is an good maintenance level for the long term, especially for those with busy lifestyles.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah powerlifting definitely give me a lot of dense, mature muscle. The main thing keeping me from getting down to 10% is just lifestyle. To eat a restricted diet would severely hamper my hobbies and I'd get too small for my liking. I do notice though when guys hit that 10% range they go from being "in shape" to "OMG" in girls' eyes.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just weight train 4-5 days a week and and active all day long. To get to those ridiculously shredded levels, you have to do insane dieting for a very long time and have a little help from Mr. Steroid. Don't buy the Muscle and Fitness bullshıt that it's 5 protein shakes a day, baked yams and chicken breast.

Sadly, it's the roids that get you like that, along with pre-photo shoot diets: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ning_performance_diet_mass/shredded_in_6_days

Yeah, you can be naturally shredded, but you won't look like M&F guys. Let's not forget full body waxing, and tanning. So much you have to do. There's a lot of behing the scenes shıt in the fitness industry, just do some research.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear All,
Just a cautionary tale,I have always stayed very fit,at the age of 28 which I would observe is the peak of a normal Anglo I had a six pack,I was probably this idealised 8%...then one Day I was diagnosed with a mystery Illness that swept through my town,it was called Q Fever...it put me literally on my back for a week,I was an invalid,I lost 30 pounds in a fortnight...the doctor gave me injections to build me up and commented,that the previous year he had had a fit young Man die on him,from a relatively minor complaint...he reasoned that under severe stress the body draws on its fats including fat around major organs,I had very little fat and was drawing on muscle tissue...I was a wreck for six weeks...so like everything in life be the happy medium...Fitness is a means to an end,not an end in itself!

ChrisFloyd

Banned
Reaction score
Scaramouche said:
Dear All,
Just a cautionary tale,I have always stayed very fit,at the age of 28 which I would observe is the peak of a normal Anglo I had a six pack,I was probably this idealised 8%...then one Day I was diagnosed with a mystery Illness that swept through my town,it was called Q Fever...it put me literally on my back for a week,I was an invalid,I lost 30 pounds in a fortnight...the doctor gave me injections to build me up and commented,that the previous year he had had a fit young Man die on him,from a relatively minor complaint...he reasoned that under severe stress the body draws on its fats including fat around major organs,I had very little fat and was drawing on muscle tissue...I was a wreck for six weeks...so like everything in life be the happy medium...Fitness is a means to an end,not an end in itself!
Could you please clarify your point in a way so that a young fool's mind like mine can understand?
Thank you.

Lex Luther

Reaction score
More fit at 43 than 23

I stumbled upon Mark's Daily Apple about a year and a half ago. He emphasizes a paleo-diet (basically plants and animals) and 4 basic exercises (push ups, pull ups, squats, & planks) that every man should be able to do. I adopted the high protein, high saturated fat, low carbohydrate diet along with the exercise regime. I throw in some arm exercises (curls and tricep extensions) as I always wanted large arms. I also run once a week ~ 5miles. I make Sunday Runday.

I read in a magazine about 10 years ago that a 40 year old can be in better shape than a 20 year old. I now believe it! I am now 43 years old and in better shape than most 30 somethings and a lot of 20 somethings. To boot, being 43 I am the boss of some of those guys.

I am confident when I take my shirt off in public and have started Crossfit to increase strength and further improve my overall fitness.

Best part is the diet. I never go hungry! I watch what I eat, but I basically look for high quality food that is high in protein and saturated fat. Bacon is yummy and good!

Its funny - it all started with a decision to make myself better.

After you make the decision, I recommend you start here -

www.marksdailyapple.com

If I can do it, you can do it!

Best of luck!

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 38. 6"00 - 198. I lift 4x/week & run sprints 2x/week. I'm also vegetarian, so this helps.

I must say, if you can run them...run sprints guys. This will make the fat melt off of you. I'm working on getting my abs...right now I have 2...sometimes a 4 pack. LOL

I would guess my BF is at about 13%. It's funny because one of my goals is to be in the best shape of my life when I reach 40.

My motivation is when I look in the mirror & when women want to rub my chest & arms.

Stay motivate guys!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Refined carbs are the devil. If you want to lose fat, cut out sugar, wheat, corn, and beer. I don't drink diet soda, but rum & diet coke is my new drink when I do have alcohol. The exception is if you do legit high-intensity cardio and time your carbs to be consumed within 4-6 hours after the cardio.

In the five years since my last mma fight, I put on up to fifty pounds at one point. About forty of that is gone now. I'm six-two, and I weighed tonight at about 180.

Workout-wise, I've never been a weight lifter. Body weight exercises are all I do. I have a set of pushup bars that can be used for several different types of pushups. I really like the bars for the extended range of motion. A typical workout is just pushups and crunches. I also have a pullup bar and a heavy bag on my back deck. At some point, I may buy some weights, but I will stick with light weights and high reps. The toned look suits my body type.

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
I'm not bad for 40, eh?

Guru1000
You're pretty shredded bro...No Homo.

Base upon this statement...I would be 15%.

guru1000 said:
15%: (1) Appear that you work out; (2) Little vascularity in arms and forearms; (3) Abs vaguely show when flexed; (4) No clear separation of muscle groups.
Besides the calorie deficit thing, what do you do to burn fat bro?