Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Brazilian Jujitsu

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just started taking BJJ. I am taking the class 2X week. The class is conducted in an MMA gym by a Machado Black Belt. The class is usually 6-8 people. Everyone is friendly and helpful. My concern is that it is only an all levels class.........not a fundamentals class for beginners (which would be nice for me). Any advice you can give me would very appreciated.....Thanks

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good for you, man. Welcome to jits.

In a class that small, you're probably not going to have any even matches; there's just not enough people. So don't worry about who wins. When you get tapped out, make your partner show you the move he or she tapped you out with.

The most important lesson for a beginner is to learn to relax while rolling. It sounds simple, but it takes a year or two to really figure out. My first year or so, I got into great shape, but that was because I was trying to wrestle and not roll. After you figure out what bjj is supposed to be, it's not a very taxing workout. You learn to move with force instead of oppose it. "Flow like water," as Bruce Lee put it.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you'll be fine. I started as a beginner and was rolling with pro's at times. Senior people understand they're to teach you the ropes just make sure you don't waste TOO much of their time by forgetting things so they end up teaching you instead of rolling. Focus on the basics and transitioning well. i.e. neutral, to side control, to gi choke, mount, etc. I only did bjj/muay thai for about 6 months but you pick up fast. you pick up faster when you go to open mat as well because you need to apply things on the fly. I was sparring this 150 lb pro guy and learned a **** ton a lot faster than actually in class.

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys.........
Already I can see things when I youtube MMA fights that I didn't notice before.....BJJ is a lot more scientific and subtle than I had previously thought...

Bible Belt.....I know what you mean about the difference between wrestling and rolling...One analogy I heard about BJJ which I liked was that it's like two guys fighting in deep water.....Size advantage is reduced, just like it would be in water

Bradd......You're right...my arm's still a little sore from an armbar I got from a blue belt on my first day........

AAA agent........Yeah, I want to focus on the basics, which is hard in a mixed level class......there's one guy who's even older than me who's taken me under his wing and is demonstrating some basics to me

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it was Helio Gracie who would whistle his favorite tune while he went through all his 20 or so black belts and tap them out one after the other. He was trying to make a point about relaxing.

I was the old guy at my mma dojo. Here's a tip from one geriatric to another - the older you are, the more important it is to stretch and warm up. Hopefully your class does organized stretching. Even if they do, you need to show up 15-20 minutes early so you can start stretching before everyone else. Don't half-ass the stretches, either. You should be pushing each one as far as you can. Flexibility prevents injury.