Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Running on an empty stomach Vs Not

Tuppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fellas,

Im starting cutting tomorrow and wondering if running on an empty stomach does result in your body burning muscle (as opposed to fat) for fuel during your run. The way I see it, running just after food consumption results in just burning off calories you just consumed. I know there is info in The Vault but many discussions contradict each other (welcome to the world of fitness). Anyone have any reasonable answer for me out of running on empty stomach vs not ?

Also is this deficit in calories correct? Weigh 223 pounds
Maintenance: 223 x 15 = 3345
Cutting (deficit): 223 x 10 = 2324

Im dropping 1000 calories from my diet straight off the bat no build up over weeks or anything. Let me know lads

Tuppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
You'll probably get varying opinions about this.

The personal trainer I recently used advocated running on the treadmill 5-6 days a week, 45 minutes per day, on an empty stomach whenever possible.

I unquestioningly followed pretty much all of his training and nutrition advice to the "t" and shed 20 pounds and lowered my bodyfat from 20% to 11%, all in the span of 8 weeks. I currently still look lean and ripped, 6 pack and all.

So I will say that based on my personal experience, doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach yielded some great results for me. I didn't ALWAYS do it first in the morning. But on those days when I didn't do it first thing in the AM, I made sure to do it later in the day (or evening).

I think you can probably accomplish your goal as long as you're CONSISTENT. I haven't performed cardio first thing in the AM in several weeks but I still have the 6 pack. I got even LEANER recently and had to start eating more. I'm down to doing cardio 20 minutes per day, low intensity on the treadmill, right after some very intense workouts involving weights and body resistance stuff like pullups and pushups.
So when you lost 20 pounds did you find that you became weaker at all? ie lost muscle mass? cheers

Tuppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
I feel stronger than ever. I can crank out 12 pullups in one set with near-perfect form, starting from a dead hang, with my chin ending up several inches above the bar. I can also pause at the top and slowly lower myself down on each rep. I usually end up doing at least 30 quality pullups throughout my workout, and I'm doing them 5-6 times a week. That's the most quality pullups I've ever done, and I feel there's no better test for upper body strength than pullups.

My personal trainer measured me 3 times over an 8 week period using calipers and claims that I actually added a few pounds of muscle. I'm personally not convinced--but, also, I don't really care if I lost any muscle, because I already knew in my mind that I just wanted to shed the fat, look ripped, and have a 6 pack, and if that meant I'd lose some muscle, that was fine by me.

I was a pretty beefy guy already because I had been lifting for nearly 10 years, albeit in a caloric surplus.

Here's a "before" photo, taken about 12 months ago. I weighed 220 lbs. My opinion of myself is, I look muscular and beefy in the t-shirt, but I can see a bit of a gut, and my face looks round and full, too:

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/espi1971/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps9e916669.jpg.html?o=8

Here's what I look like now, at about 200 lbs. and 11% BF; I see my face looking more defined, as do my back and abs, yet I've retained plenty enough muscle mass for my liking:

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/espi1971/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps1e290a2d.jpg.html?o=12

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/espi1971/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2aa4fe76.jpg.html?o=12

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/espi1971/media/tn_zpsd49e6ac0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

My trainer had me doing very little work with heavy weights, and I like the results. Couldn't care less about the amount of muscle I may have lost or gained. I just wanted to transform from a soft, bulky physique to a ripped and shredded one.

When I'm wearing a suit, I look less muscular, but when I walk the beach shirtless, I hold my own. THAT is what I wanted--to look ripped and somewhat muscular. In that order. Couldn't care less about my PR for bench and squats, etc. I currently wear a 34 inch waist and size L shirts and love it. I don't complain about my pants fitting loose and having to spend money on tailoring my suits.

In my opinion your DIET will determine if you feel weak or strong. Eat every 2-3 hours and eliminate alcohol and junk food. If you keep it up and eat clean and train hard, you can see some great results starting in 6 weeks or so.

I never believed in organic food, but I do now. Grass-fed beef; pole-caught tuna, organic brown rice, organic veggies, etc. I buy foods that have the organic label on them. But I also know that a lot of people don't believe in organic and/or don't want to spend the extra $$$$. Just make sure that you're eating the right foods with minimal ingredients. Pure, whole foods.
Wow. That is a great transformation. I completely agree with you that being ripped ie low bodyfat has priority over lifting heavy and setting PRs, or in my books it does anyway. I've always wanted a lean slightly muscular physique - never cared too much about looking huge, I just want to look great naked. Now that you're alot leaner do you find yourself counting calories in your diet? Or do you just stick to reasonable sized clean meals every 3 hours?

Tuppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help Espi. My diet so far seems similar to yours rolled oats with eggwhites, brown rice and chicken breast, whey protein and flaxseed oil, vegetables - spread over 6 meals. ill keep you updated on my journey

The_411

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Varies from person to person regarding metabolism and how the metabolism is affected by certain foods.

Herschel Walker eats one big meal of lentils/grains and such and he's about as cut even at his age as you can get. Of course he's genetically blessed, but the point remains.

Tinker to find what works for your body.

I'd recommend Forks over Knives based diet but it's an intense lifestyle change and quite difficult to follow if you love meat.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The_411 said:
I'd recommend Forks over Knives based diet but it's an intense lifestyle change and quite difficult to follow if you love meat.
Why would you follow such an awful diet for body recomposition? Low fat diets will eventually wreck your endocrine system amongst other things.

Tuppy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi: I have been eating eggs all year round up until now. I used to hardboil them and snack on them - after having egg whites for a while I'd say its not really worth it, leaves you less full and tastes very boring haha. Probably switching back soon.

The 411: I will weigh myself every morning just as i get out of bed and hit the toilet etc to monitor how its all going. My only problem is that I live in college and its difficult to be social and not drink.

What opinions do you guys have on drinking and weight loss? As Espi and numerous others have said, its a big no no but is there a way to drink by minimizing the negative effects of alcohol? ie extra calories, inhibiting growth hormone. I've switched to vodka and soda water.