Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Guru1000’s Power, Accountability, and Inspiration Log

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some posters have asked, ”What are you the Guru of ?” Answer is simple: Whatever I can conceive, I am the Guru.

Guru’s Mantra

Self-attainment, alone, is a pyrrhic pursuit. As once you have fully attained any pursuit, you realize that the happiness you envisioned is fleeting. Thus, bonafide, enduring happiness can only manifest by helping, motivating, and inspiring others. Accordingly, this log is written not only for my accountability, but, hopefully, to motivate and inspire others to be their best in whatever the calling.

Where shall we begin?

Pictures

I am 6'1, 40 y.o.

18 y.o, 150 lbs. soak and wet.

25 y.o., 203 lbs, 12% bf.

12 mos. ago, 225 lbs, 25% bf, following a two-year hiatus due to severe chest and back injuries.

One week ago, 9/1/14, 188 lbs, 10% bf.

Goal: 200 lbs, sub-10% bf, in 6 mos.; that is 2 lbs./mo. as a natural 40 y.o. Granted, due to muscle memory, such a goal may be attained easier than never having achieved such muscularity. Nonetheless, most fitness experts would aver that gaining 12 lbs. of muscle in 6 mos. for a natural 40 yo is not possible. I am here to serve as a testament that whatever you can conceive, you can achieve.

I will not be using, not have I used, any performing-enhancing drugs; 100% natural.

Supplement Intake
• 5g Vitamin C daily
• 5g Fish oil daily
• 2 shots of wheat grass daily

Dieting

I will be sticking to a low-carb, high-protein and -fat regimen for lean mass gains as follows:
• 300 grams protein = 1,200 calories
• 200 grams “good” fats = 1,800 calories
• 50-200 grams carbohydrates dependent upon training needs: 200 – 800 calories

I will adjust my carb intake bi-weekly in accordance with fat depository accumulation.

Training

4-5 days a week, using one type of heavy compound movements each lifting day: (1) deadlifts; (2) squats; (3) bench press; and (4) military press.

16 sets daily per body part. I will outline the exact lifts each week.

First week, lifts will be as heavy as possible beginning at the 8-rep target. Each week thereafter for six months, I will repeat the exercise with the goal of adding a minimum of one rep to the previous week’s, until I reach to 12 reps. Once 12 reps is reached, I will increase weight by 10 lbs, and begin at 8 reps. If I am unable to increase lifts by one rep in a given week, I will increase fat consumption by 25g daily for the following week, and repeat, until such lift is attained.

I’m an advocate for strength gain, as when you gain strength, you gain muscle.

Sleep

Unfortunately, working 6-days a week, 12+ hour days, sleep is comprised at 6 hrs. daily. On my one day off, I will sleep 12-14 hrs. Yes, another obstacle I will transcend!

Logs

I will keep weekly logs of my progress, with monthly pictures, for accountability and inspiration.

OK, let’s roll!

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You severely lack traps and really look depleted. Maybe it is your age though. Looked better at 25.

You need 8-10 hours of sleep to grow accordingly.

You are either working for a physique or for strength. One focuses more on contraction and sculpting. I suggest you focus on physique. Forget the strength. That doesn't matter when the shirt comes off.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ron, post a pic: Let's see whose physique looks better. But you won't right? Lol

I'm pretty sure I've been training longer than your lifetime. I competed pre-nationals in my 20s and placed. Physique is 80% diet, 20% training. Contractions don't guarantee muscle gain; diet and strength gain does.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Ron, post a pic: Let's see whose physique looks better. But you won't right? Lol

I'm pretty sure I've been training longer than your lifetime. I competed pre-nationals in my 20s and placed. Physique is 80% diet, 20% training. Contractions don't guarantee muscle gain; diet and strength gain does.
Hun, i hope my comments didn't make you feel hurt inside.

I never said i have trained longer than you. I pointed out something regarding your traps, which you didn't deny (Because I am right), and you do look depleted. That's just what i gathered from your current state. I DID say you looked good at 25, did i not?

Well, it is up to the individual. I prefer physique and you may want strength. At your age, it would be beneficial to go through a strength program and i can see why you are inclined to the latter. We obviously have different goals to aim at.

And most importantly, do you train legs?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course, leg training is the staple of every effective training regime.

A depleted look does not relate to age, lol. Natural bodybuilders of every age will look "depleted" 24 hrs. before competition. This is simply carb loading/depletion dieting. You carb deplete 6 days before contest to shed water, while drinking 1-2 gallons daily. Contest day, you carb load and drop water intake 80%, shoving glycogen and subcutaneous water into the muscle bellies, thus filling out for the show with paper-thin skin for striations and vascularity. Thus, the depleted look is carb deprivation. Make sense?

Age and goal orientation have no correlation. If you wish to guarantee muscle gain, you must focus on an anabolic diet, while ensuring that your lifts increase commensurately with your target weight. I will have more muscle mass benching 405 than 315. This is the most efficient means to monitor your muscle-gaining progress: strength gains.

If the goal is physique, then my recommendation is the same, except pay closer attention to aesthetic symmetry and adjust your body group focus accordingly.

Want to see a natural bodybuilder gain 12+ lbs of muscle in 6 mos? Then pay attention to this thread. I welcome all ... even you.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
His traps are huge, what photos are you looking at? Did you mean to say his lats? Which look non-existant, but that is due to the pose he is in. He looks better than 99% of people his age, and most guys half his age.

You know your sh1t guru, I look forward to your log.

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guru...nice log man. I have a few questions bro:

1) What type of cardio will you do during this period?
2) What is your rep speed?
3) How do you decide what weight to start with? Meaning, I've been doing 5 rep sets, so if I wanted to mimic your workout, how would I decide what weight to start with? Should I just pick a weight & just go or is a percentage of my 5 rep max sets?

I'm taking a week off & then I will be starting too.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Salvatore: Tx; I look forward to your input.

Outlaw:

1) I limit cardio to 1-2 sessions/weekly, 200/calorie sessions. Experientially, anything greater, you may affect positive nitrogen balance, not conducive to augmenting muscle mass.

2) The psychology of my regime is as follows: Your strength is limited by your anabolic hormones, muscle mass, and genetic predisposition. There is also, as I call it, the X factor. That is the mind. Think about the story of the mother lifting a car to save her child. My strength/augmenting muscle regime forces you to increase one rep per week, else increase fat intake, and try again the following week. As your focus and drive wraps around the one-rep motive, you will find the strength/fortitude to continually meet this quota, assuming you ingest enough calories. After six months, you would have increased all your lifts by a minimum of 50 lbs., and added commensurate, compensatory muscle mass. Your body will habituate to the protocol; accordingly, change the exercise routine every 6 months.

So to answer your question: Whatever speed, in full form, which gets the job done.

3) Drop 10-20 lbs; begin with just enough weight to push 8 reps. It is far more difficult to increase from 5 to 6 reps in a week, than from 8-9, 9-10, and so forth.

I look forward to see your progress.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You do seem to know your stuff, so i will be quiet and listen to your advice. My apologies.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Np Ronaldo. We're all on the same battlefield. Old lion, young lion, regardless; we're here to support one another.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
You do seem to know your stuff, so i will be quiet and listen to your advice. My apologies.
No need to be quiet. If you don't question things, you won't learn.

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Salvatore: Tx; I look forward to your input.

Outlaw:

1) I limit cardio to 1-2 sessions/weekly, 200/calorie sessions. Experientially, anything greater, you may affect positive nitrogen balance, not conducive to augmenting muscle mass.

2) The psychology of my regime is as follows: Your strength is limited by your anabolic hormones, muscle mass, and genetic predisposition. There is also, as I call it, the X factor. That is the mind. Think about the story of the mother lifting a car to save her child. My strength/augmenting muscle regime forces you to increase one rep per week, else increase fat intake, and try again the following week. As your focus and drive wraps around the one-rep motive, you will find the strength/fortitude to continually meet this quota, assuming you ingest enough calories. After six months, you would have increased all your lifts by a minimum of 50 lbs., and added commensurate, compensatory muscle mass. Your body will habituate to the protocol; accordingly, change the exercise routine every 6 months.

So to answer your question: Whatever speed, in full form, which gets the job done.

3) Drop 10-20 lbs; begin with just enough weight to push 8 reps. It is far more difficult to increase from 5 to 6 reps in a week, than from 8-9, 9-10, and so forth.

I look forward to see your progress.
Ok man thanks for the input. I will do my cardio 2x per week. It looks like about 13 minutes of jump rope will burn 200 calories for my weight.

I will be doing a 2 day split twice per week. I will workout in 6 - 8 week cycles. I will take a week off at some point at 6 - 8 weeks depending on where my gains stop.

Right now this is what my plan is:

Monday & Thursday:
Bench
Dips
Mil Press
Shrugs (Only Iso in this part of split)
Crunch

Tuesday & Friday:
Pull ups
BB Curl (Curl bar) (Only Iso in this part of split)
BB Bent over Rows
Deads
Lunges (I'm a home body & don't have squat racks)

Wednesday & Saturday:
13 Minutes Jump Rope

I'm going to have to really come up with a game plan for this diet thing. It's the counting exact calories that is going to get me. And getting the ratio of Fat/Carb/protein that you are rolling with Guru. That will be tough starting out, but once I get it down, I should be good. I will start out as close as I can & adjust accordingly.

This is my rest week, so I will start on Monday.

Any advice & critiques welcome.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diet will account for 80% of your results. I follow a similar version to Pasquale’s anabolic diet, without the carb breaks on the weekend to hamper the body’s habituation, but with a touch more healthier fats; although I do ingest saturated fats. I also ingest more carbs than Pasquale’s outline; 50g – 200g, specifically, on heavy–training days, and manage to remain in ketosis, while precluding body habituation. But, my carb intake may not be suitable for you; you have to monitor your specific progress and adjust accordingly.

The key is the fat intake to maximize T and other anabolic hormone production. If you have a chance, spend $100; have your local doctor request total T/ free T/ estrogen/IGf-1 blood test. My total T levels pre-anabolic diet is around 600+ ng/dl. Once I incorporate 200+ grams of fat daily, my T runs up to 900+/ng/dl ; that is a 50% increase. Free T levels increase roughly 45%+ also. My T/E ratio more than doubles as well, evidencing no increases in estrogen with such diet. Studies in this area appear to be contradictory. Accordingly, I’m reciting experientially.

Some may argue that total T level increases within the physiological range up to 1000ng/dl will show you no significant increase in muscle augmentation, and that T levels must be within supra-physiological range, 1200ng/dl+, to see results. As a natural lifter, my experience is contrariwise. A 50% increase in T within physiological range, will augment muscle mass, if combined with sufficient calories and laborious workout regime.

My only recommendation is to increase your exercise cycle to at least 3-4 months, as some of my largest gains came around 120 days. You'll know when your body habituates, as your strength gains will halt; then, you can alter routines/take a break.

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok. So I'm starting on Monday. I'm just going to eat for the week starting Monday & track it on fitday. Then, after the week start to make adjustments on my ratios. The diet part is my biggest concern, but there is really only one wrong way to do it...and that is not to do it.

I'm going to skip the testosterone test & just take your word that I need to boost my fat intake. I may not be able to get my ratios to where you are because I'm vegetarian, but I will shoot as close as I can get.

Also, when I mentioned cycles, I meant lifting weeks straight & then taking a rest week. But I will take your advise & just wait until I hit a wall.

I'm bulking from 09/15/2014 - 02/13/2014. This will give me 5 months of bulking. And I will take a rest week & start cutting on 02/20/2014. I weighed myself this morning...but naked 1st thing in the morning...no water I'm 196. Target weight 207 - 210. At this weight, I'm sure I will have no abs showing.

I'm starting my cut in Feb, because that will give me a good start on my summer body.

When are you starting your bulk, guru?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Week off as well. Bulk and exercise regime starts today. Will post log once weekly.

Carbed up (in accordance with the foregoing diet protocol) today 200g; glycogen stores feel full. I will tear up the squats tonight.

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Week off as well. Bulk and exercise regime starts today. Will post log once weekly.

Carbed up (in accordance with the foregoing diet protocol) today 200g; glycogen stores feel full. I will tear up the squats tonight.
Yo bro. Can you post your workout routines? Lifts, reps & days.

I had to skip jumpping rope yesterday. I haven't done lunges in a couple of years, so I'm full of lactic acid...yesterday was brutal. Today, I'm walking better.

So, I picked good weights for my routine, as I did between 7-10 on all 3 reps of all lifts. Per your philosophy above...my goal is to add 1-2 reps per week.

My diet is completely non-scientific. Unfortunately, right now I can't track my cals. We shall see how this turns out. I will be adding fat (coconut oil, Olive oil or sunflower/pumpkin seeds) if I get stuck for the week.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday

Front Military
15 x 135
15 x 225
8 x 275
7 x 275

Back Military
15 x 135
15 x 185
8 x 245
6 x 245

Upright Rows
15 x 135
10 x 185
8 x 195
8 x 195

Reverse Machine Flyes
10 x 100
8 x 140
8 x 140
8 x 140

Back Squats
15 x 135
15 x 225
15 x 315
8 x 425

Leg Press
15 x 360
15 x 540
8 x 720
8 x 720

Leg Extension
15 x 150
10 x Rack (Don’t remember total rack weight)
8 x Rack + 20
8 x Rack + 20

Leg Curl
15 x 100
8 x 150
8 x 150
8 x 150
I’m on 5-6 hours sleep daily this week; busy at the office. Accordingly, I trained only twice this week. I skipped chest and back, which are my two recently-injured muscle groups; will train them next week. Normal week will be four days of training.

Remember, diet is 80%: You must track your macronutrient breakdown. Just look at the nutritional content in the back. For other foods without nutritional content, google macronutrient breakdown for that food. Once you have done this several times, it will be second nature to account. Otherwise, you will not know how to adjust your calories: fat/carb/protein intake as you, or fail to, progress. Macronutrient itemization is also vital to monitor your testosterone/insulin response, and ketogenic tendency/acclimation (which we can delve deeper if you monitor correctly). Besides meats and flaxseed oil, my fat intake comprises mostly peanut butter, which has always worked great for collagen augmentation (you need to strengthen your joints lifting heavy), experientially. One half jar of organic peanut: 48g carbs, 64 g protein, 128g fat.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's your take on the mind muscle connection? My trainer was recently telling me about it in a more profound aspect and to especially pay attention to my weak points. I tried it the way he told me in today's workout, but i'm not sure if i am overthinking it or what. It all looks/sounds so confusing. I don't know if i am doing it wrong.

Outlaw_

Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Remember, diet is 80%: You must track your macronutrient breakdown. Just look at the nutritional content in the back. For other foods without nutritional content, google macronutrient breakdown for that food. Once you have done this several times, it will be second nature to account. Otherwise, you will not know how to adjust your calories: fat/carb/protein intake as you, or fail to, progress. Macronutrient itemization is also vital to monitor your testosterone/insulin response, and ketogenic tendency/acclimation (which we can delve deeper if you monitor correctly). Besides meats and flaxseed oil, my fat intake comprises mostly peanut butter, which has always worked great for collagen augmentation (you need to strengthen your joints lifting heavy), experientially. One half jar of organic peanut: 48g carbs, 64 g protein, 128g fat.
I know man...my diet is so jacked up. I tracked it & it looks ugly...I'm not sure that I can get my macro ratios to that point. But I will continue to follow what you've laid out as closely as I can until Feb. I'm trying to balance it out now.

How is your workout routine going bro? I never thought that I was getting old, but stuff like my elbow will be sore from doing chin ups. You ever experience this stuff too?