Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I had to fire someone this morning

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm really just venting more than anything. I liked the guy. He didn't really do anything wrong, but he's costing me too much money.

I work in the tech industry and new stuff is always coming out. This guy is a php developer who refuses to learn open source programming. Open source being Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Bootstrap, etc.

The guy won't even learn how to integrate open source api's into his work. I had a client that simply had an ecommerce website, that he mainly programmed and did a good job with in custom PHP, however she did not like the newsletter function that he programmed so I was like look dude just integrate mailchimp and be done with it so we can move on. Can't do it. he CAN do it but that would require some work more than copying and pasting scrips he has into his code an he wont' do that. after a week of him fumbling around and half assing it i just did it myself.

?That's what frustrates me about people I don't even program. I run my company I talk to clients I deal with project management. But i CAN program and WiLL if I need to. I program just so I can better interact with my clients. How the hell can I tell you how we're going to build you a site with all these features If I can't tell you how we're going to build it and why? To make that makes no sense. So I roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty from time to time. It also helps me better identify any potential problems with a project without having to talk to anyone else, as well as accurately scope out a projects time fram eand budget when i know first hand how long it will / should take.

My point in all ths rambling is to say, I tried. I really tried. I don't like firing people.My loyalty to people is probbaly my biggest weakness. I give people 2nd, third, 4th, 5th, 6th chances. This dude is like on his 15th chance lol. I just could not take it anymore. I can be a prick to work for, but i'm very loyal. If you try your best i will bend over backwards for you. But this guy is not trying his best.

But i liked him so I would just throw him my custom php work. But over half my work now is non custom php and he can't do anything. Then the stuff I do have him do he just fumbles the ball.

I've tried it all. He's not stupid, so I gave him jobs that you know, i KNEW he could not do without doing some research / playing around, but felt that he could eventually get right. won't do it. He just throws his hands up in the air and tells me it's not possible (only for me to send it to another developer to get it done like the next day lol). I've tried talking to him about becoming more well rounded. He just isn't listening.

And I would have fired him a while ago if he didn't have a 2 year old daughter. jobs are hard to come by in this economy. I didn't want to leave the dude jobless. But at the same time i can't just give you a paycheck.

So I had to do it. And it sucked. I Got cursed out,l but I stood my ground. If the dude came back to me 2-4 months from now and told me he was willing to work like I Need hom to work i would hire him back with the quickness but he won't. he's that stubborn. he thinks the world owes him custom php jobs lol.

anyway im' done.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wait. You got cursed out? I guess he figured he wasn't going to get a good reference anyway but still it's unacceptable behavior.

MaddXMan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
People fire themselves by ****ing up. Don't sweat it.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I work in the tech industry and new stuff is always coming out. This guy is a php developer who refuses to learn open source programming. Open source being Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Bootstrap, etc.

The guy won't even learn how to integrate open source api's into his work. I had a client that simply had an ecommerce website, that he mainly programmed and did a good job with in custom PHP, however she did not like the newsletter function that he programmed so I was like look dude just integrate mailchimp and be done with it so we can move on. Can't do it. he CAN do it but that would require some work more than copying and pasting scrips he has into his code an he wont' do that. after a week of him fumbling around and half assing it i just did it myself.
Have you ever sat him down and laid out CLEARLY what his responsibilities are?

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bb, I thought you told me you avoid open source (CM) like the plague?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
times are changing man lol. got tired of losing jobs over it. I accecpted the fact that it's not going anywhere any time soon. Also some o it actually helps cut down on programming time.

My only thing is when you get guys who want a specific platform that doesn't fit a project.

Just like in game, one must adapt.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I found it to be a necessary evil. It can be very difficult to make clients understand that they can't have their cake and eat it too.