Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy left one of the worst tips

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The owner of the restaurant PYT was there and confirmed McCoy and his party were jerks on top of that. The server was a white guy. That explains a lot of it. It's example of why I'm not a fan of most rich, pampered professional athletes.

In response to the firestorm, the proprietor of the burger joint, Tommy Up, penned a lengthy status update Tuesday afternoon offering his side of the story.Mr Up opened his letter by taking full responsibility for sharing the receipt online and saying that he stands firmly by his staff.He then went on to describe how ‘pumped’ his employees – many of them loyal Eagles fans – were to see the famed running back walk through the doors of their establishment.‘Mr McCoy and his friend sat inside at a booth next to my management and next to me. They were given excellent service. Impeccable service. If anything, our server was a little nervous as was our food runner, because they are big, big fans,’ the owner wrote.

He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however.‘After Mr McCoy and his group left I looked over and saw their server, my friend, with his head bowed down and with a very confused look on his face. I took the receipt out of his hand and I couldn't believe that anyone could be so callous. Mr McCoy had left a .03% tip for our staff.‘Our staff that was beyond excited to see him walk into our burger joint and was excited to serve him. That's twenty cents on a tab of over $60. Twenty cents that our server has to split with the food runner and the bartender. Two dimes from an insulting multimillionaire.The owner went on to dismiss reports the McCoy and his party received poor service as ‘a complete slanderous lie.’‘At the end of the day, I did what I felt my heart told me to do. And I don't want anything from Mr McCoy, but...maybe an apology to his server who gave him excellent service would be cool,’ Mr Up summed up before directing all hate mail to his email address. - See more at: http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/...leaving-20-cent-tip.html#sthash.qpw1JgDe.dpuf

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never like to hear one sided stories, the waiter probably got butt hurt. These dudes are like every human on earth, I use to work retail and I will tell you there where a$$holes that came in that store everyday.

Stop looking up to these people as if they are gods, they don't have to be nice and be on their ps and qs everydays.

I can't believe crap like this is even considered news.

I'm around a like of wealthy people on the regularly, and those are the most cheap people on earth.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fatal Jay said:
I never like to hear one sided stories, the waiter probably got butt hurt. These dudes are like every human on earth,
McCoy's side of the story was given in many other articles. It lacked substance and believability, but fantards mostly supported him. The thing is the restaurant owner was there and he's the one complaining about McCoy. It's hard to believe a restaurant owner would make up a story to criticize a famous patron. I'd say these athletes are worse than most other people.

I use to work retail and I will tell you there where a$$holes that came in that store everyday.

Stop looking up to these people as if they are gods, they don't have to be nice and be on their ps and qs everydays.

I can't believe crap like this is even considered news.

I'm around a like of wealthy people on the regularly, and those are the most cheap people on earth.
I agree people should stop looking up to and supporting celebrities and athletes. But celebrities want and need that support and so should show decency and some gratitude to the public serving them and their fans. It's just human nature and reciprocity for people and fans to take offense to discourteous behavior from celebrities.

If you made your fortune in some other business venture then you would only have obligation to your direct customers and employees and no one would really make an issue of you being a stingy jerk to servers.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stagger Lee said:
McCoy's side of the story was given in many other articles. It lacked substance and believability, but fantards mostly supported him. The thing is the restaurant owner was there and he's the one complaining about McCoy. It's hard to believe a restaurant owner would make up a story to criticize a famous patron. I'd say these athletes are worse than most other people.

I agree people should stop looking up to and supporting celebrities and athletes. But celebrities want and need that support and so should show decency and some gratitude to the public serving them and their fans. It's just human nature and reciprocity for people and fans to take offense to discourteous behavior from celebrities.

If you made your fortune in some other business venture then you would only have obligation to your direct customers and employees and no one would really make an issue of you being a stingy jerk to servers.
McCoy is just another regular guy. He doesn't have to do anything for anyone. He plays football and the waiter takes people's orders. People have too many expectations. Also, tipping isn't mandatory. Blowing something so minute out of proportion here.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NFL players aren't just regular guys unless every other multi-millionaire entertainer-celebrity is a regular guy. Regular guys aren't multi-millionaires with fans. When other rich celebrities are rude and cheap to others the media reports that too.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stagger Lee said:
NFL players aren't just regular guys unless every other multi-millionaire entertainer-celebrity is a regular guy. Regular guys aren't multi-millionaires with fans. When other rich celebrities are rude and cheap to others the media reports that too.
We can't please everyone, can we? The guy goes to a restaurant with his friends to enjoy a nice outing. He really doesn't need a waiter, who is overeager to piss himself every time he refills his drink, to constantly be hounding him. I'm sure the media does enough of that already. That tipping bs makes the rounds regardless of who it is. Tipping is not mandatory. Unfair? Then the waiters need to get real jobs and stop slacking by.

U

user43770

Ronaldo7 said:
We can't please everyone, can we? The guy goes to a restaurant with his friends to enjoy a nice outing. He really doesn't need a waiter, who is overeager to piss himself every time he refills his drink, to constantly be hounding him. I'm sure the media does enough of that already. That tipping bs makes the rounds regardless of who it is. Tipping is not mandatory. Unfair? Then the waiters need to get real jobs and stop slacking by.
I agreed with you until the part I made bold. I've been a waiter - I had to bust my ass. So did all of my co-workers. Sure, the hours were slack compared to a typical 9-5, but I know of many full-time employees that don't do sh1t...

I also worked for state and city governments. You want to talk about slackers? The laziest people I've ever met worked for the government. And they were also the first to complain about pay raises. Think about that for a second: the people that have the best benefits and more often than not, have jobs that are strictly busy work, complain the most.

Waiters have to actually work for their money; they have to earn their money.

U

user43770

bradd80 said:
Taking down orders and bringing people their food is hardly "busting your a$$."

Mortgaging your house, taking loans to go to school, and getting good grades for years so you can get a real job, that's busting your a$$. Going to a construction site for 10 hours a day every day and breaking your back lifting heavy sh*t and not coming home till your hands are bleeding and full of calluses, that's busting your a$$.

Comparing one group of entitled, uneducated people (waiters) to another group of entitled, uneducated people (government workers) and saying one deserves to be spoiled because the other one is, isn't really much of an argument. Government workers don't deserve any of their bonuses or salaries or pay raises any more than waiters deserve theirs. Both of these jobs consist of mindless work, and I know because I've done both of them before I got a real job. So saying one entitled group deserves money because another entitled group gets it is far from being a convincing argument. The only difference is that at least government workers - whether we like it or not - perform a vital service such as processing tax information no matter how menial their individual task is whereas waiters perform a purely luxury based service that people can do without. But I'm supposed to tip waiters for crappy service because there's government workers out there who happen to want a pay raise? How does that make any sense?

It doesn't. I hated waiting on tables when I was in my late teens, not because it paid bad but because it was mindless and my feet hurt. The pay was actually pretty good I was making around $120 to $150 a night which for those days was pretty good. And I didn't hate it because of the customers, it was because of d!ck restaurant owners that didn't want their staff sitting down and taking any breaks. That's how these owners are: they pay their wait staff less than minimum wage, overcharge their customers, and then idiots like the owner in this story try to pass the buck and blame customers for things he should be taking care of.

Waiting on tables motivated me to do well in school and get a real job. And being a waiter was hardly a difficult job: absolutely no thinking was involved other than a bit of order memorization and pretending to be nice to the customers. I'd be working for one or two crazy hours per shift, and the rest of the time I hit on the waitresses and made plans with my coworkers about trips and weekend get-togethers.
Before you got a "real job" lol. That's all I need to quote right there. Your condescension speaks for itself.

You're putting words in my mouth: I never said that waiters should be spoiled. All I said was that waiting tables wasn't an easy job. I said that I've witnessed, first hand, government workers doing "mindless" (your terminology) work that they got paid much better for. And they were no more qualified to do that job than your typical waiter. Government workers perform a service created by other government workers. These services aren't necessary, because at one point they didn't even exist. And then you try to compare a waiter's benefits to a government workers? A waiter hardly gets ANY benefits, and they're hardly ever paid by the tax payer's dollars.

Personally, I think that "mortgaging your house, taking loans to go to school, and getting good grades for years so you can get a real job" is more often than not, a stupid idea. What "real job" are you speaking of? Is it the lawyer job that you have? The one that has lately been proven to be a bad investment? I'm not saying one shouldn't go to college, but if it's not STEM, these days, you're more than likely screwed.

If you think being "mindless" makes for an easy job, then I have to question your actual experience. I've worked construction, which you mentioned. I've done plumbing, electrical, carpentry and drywall finishing. I guarantee you that none of those were easy. Or "mindless." I'd like to see you dig up a busted plumbing line and figure it out. I bet you couldn't. It isn't so "mindless" when you're on the job.

You're a lawyer, right? I think that dealing with semantics all day every day is mindless. What do you produce, pal? What do you add to the economy?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Waiting tables is real work, there's no need to argue about how "hard" it is. I respect waiters that do their jobs well and I tip them accordingly.

That said, tipping is not mandatory. Furthermore I think it's a stupid system that just creates a lot of passive-aggression between the parties. Go to any other country and you can sit down in a restaurant and get what you pay for because waiters aren't expecting gratuity.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
Yeah that must be why they're paid less than minimum wage :rolleyes:

No debate required, you've got to be kidding. What's with dudes here thinking that waiting on tables is real work?
The amount of money one makes is not always directly correlated to how physically rigorous his work is. There are plenty of fat cats who barely do shyt and pull in six or seven figures, and there are ditch diggers struggling to get by.

You may not think it's hard work, and that's your opinion. But not to call it "real work" is silly. Waiters fill a labor demand. The best ones work at the best restaurants and serve wealthy customers. Their level of service can tilt the public's attitude toward a restaurant one way or another.

Because when I go to a restaurant I don't want to serve myself, I appreciate the work that goes into waiting tables and consider them worth what the market dictates. Otherwise I'd just stay home or get fast food.

U

user43770

bradd80 said:
Yes, it is condescension because serving food to people is a mindless activity and the people doing it deserve to get the very little money they get. Anybody who makes an honest living earns my respect, but when you perform a line of work that requires no thought and very little effort, and you start demanding all kinds of unearned entitlements even when they're based on poor or subpar service, then yes that respect easily turns into biting condescension.

Fair enough. The way you feel about waiters is the way I feel about most government workers.

You made the ridiculous analogy that servers should be tipped because government workers also make demands for money. So I'm not putting any words in your mouth at all, the only part of your comment I quoted was where you made the ridiculous assertion that waiters "bust their ass." Did you not write this? All I did was point at that if you think waiting on tables is difficult challenging work then I feel really sorry for you. And you did compare one mindless occupation (waiting on tables) to a necessary function (government administration) and claimed that one should get benefits because the other one does as well. By your logic, we should reward one mindless activity because people in another mindless activity are also demanding more money :crackup:

Show me where I said waiters should be paid more. You can't, because I never did. All I did was give you an example of a job that's considered "real" by most people, including you, and state that it's actually generally more cushy, and often more mindless than serving tables.

Really all I did in my response was point out that your claim that waiting on tables is a challenging profession is totally absurd.

Waiters aren't paid by tax dollars because they're unnecessary, and arguing that waiters should get tipped just because other people demand money is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. Some of the functions of government may seem unnecessary to you, and maybe they didn't exist 5,000 years ago but that doesn't mean they're not necessary now. Services that were not necessary for agrarian populations consisting of small villages a thousand years ago can suddenly become very necessary when we talk about a modern, technological society of 320 million people.

If they were truly unnecessary, they wouldn't be employed. I don't care what you think I implied. You're arguing with yourself here. 5000? Try 30 years ago; hell, try this year. New "necessary" government functions are being instituted all the time.

Of course you think going to school is a bad idea, that's why you're stuck forever doing jobs like serving food and cleaning other people's sh*t. And you have a problem with reading comprehension I never said going to law school was a bad idea. I did however, post a thread discussing the pros and cons of the profession perhaps this is what you're referring to? If you chose to dwell on the negatives instead of all the positives again I feel bad for you, but I really can't say I'm surprised judging by your past work history I can see why you'd always look at a topic from the most negative viewpoint. If people want to work hard and make money, the opportunities and rewards are there, as they certainly were for me.

I may indeed have a problem with reading comprehension, but I also never said that you said going to law school was a bad idea. I was referring to numerous articles I've read over the years that say that law school is becoming a bad investment. A simple google search will yield you the same results.

For those who want to fail in life and spend the rest of their lives bouncing from one mindless low paying job to another, well perhaps you can provide us more details on that as you seem to be the expert.

Sure. Anyone that would like any advice on this topic can send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to share my experiences.

Again, this mistaken viewpoint of yours is another symptom of your reading comprehension problems (which in turn is no doubt a result of your lack of formal schooling). I actually mentioned jobs such as construction as specifically being the type of job that is "hard work," as opposed to waiting on tables which is mindless and easy.

Fair enough. I misread your original post. I got carried away with which jobs you found unnecessary.

And how do I add to the economy? I help companies stay in business and implement sound business plans so they can make money and eventually pay mindless robots like you to put food on their tables and feed their families. I also help these companies pump billions of dollars into the economy so uneducated people - people like you who think serving food is a challenging profession - can eat food and stay alive.

You help companies stay in business and implement sound business plans? How do you do that? Do you mean that you assist them in not getting sued by other lawyers? Kudos.
Responses in red above.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TyTe`EyEz said:
I agreed with you until the part I made bold. I've been a waiter - I had to bust my ass. So did all of my co-workers. Sure, the hours were slack compared to a typical 9-5, but I know of many full-time employees that don't do sh1t...

I also worked for state and city governments. You want to talk about slackers? The laziest people I've ever met worked for the government. And they were also the first to complain about pay raises. Think about that for a second: the people that have the best benefits and more often than not, have jobs that are strictly busy work, complain the most.

Waiters have to actually work for their money; they have to earn their money.
The great thing about the USA is that you can become anything you want to be. Opportunities are there to be taken. For someone to work in McDonalds or another restaurant.... You must not really have high standards for your life/self. It also shows that being a waiter is the best they can achieve. It's not hard work, unless you are a moron that can't listen and follow instructions. If they aren't content with not receiving tips, they should just find another job and not blame the patron for not tipping. It's better to be the patron than the waiter. Underachievers whining is really tedious.

The government people have degrees, masters, and even PHD. They worked hard to be where they are at. Can't share the same problems, if we don't share the same success.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
When I was in High School and College, I was a waiter. I agree they deserve the small amount of money, but the pay is below minimum wage because the expectation is society will tip them.

Now, if the service was poor, then I agree without tipping. But often there are @ssholes who don't tip at all, and if an order is wrong, often it is the cooks fault and not the waiters.

Looking down on people who perform lower paying jobs, especially if they happen to be doing the work while putting themselves through school, is just classless.

If LeSean did it for douche reasons then hopefully karma shatters his knee and makes him useless in the NFL. If on the other hand, the waiter was a douchebag, then he didn't deserve the tip.

^^^^^

This is absolutely true. Only treat people like douches if they deserve it, not because they have less ability or different goals than you.
Exactly. I find it funny that a waiter, which to be decent requires people skills and good short term memory and is hard productive work, is considered mindless and worthless, yet playing football especially not the QB position is somehow not mindless lol.

I don't necessarily agree with the way tipping is used to almost pay the help's entire wages, but without tipping restaurants would just included it in the prices anyway. So to leave almost nothing for a tip short of very poor and rude service is pretty low.

A lot of people can't be a sports fan without figuratively sucking the players' d!cks no matter what. No wonder professional athletes tend to act entitled and arrogant.

U

user43770

Ronaldo7 said:
The great thing about the USA is that you can become anything you want to be. Opportunities are there to be taken. For someone to work in McDonalds or another restaurant.... You must not really have high standards for your life/self. It also shows that being a waiter is the best they can achieve. It's not hard work, unless you are a moron that can't listen and follow instructions. If they aren't content with not receiving tips, they should just find another job and not blame the patron for not tipping. It's better to be the patron than the waiter. Underachievers whining is really tedious.

I agree with you for the most part. It certainly isn't difficult to become a waiter, and it doesn't take much intelligence to perform, but it can still be hard work. I definitely don't want to go back to working as one.

Ronaldo7 said:
The government people have degrees, masters, and even PHD. They worked hard to be where they are at. Can't share the same problems, if we don't share the same success.
Some government workers bust their ass, and some do attain higher degrees. I don't think they're all bad. Just a lot of them. I do think that government jobs are more slack than private sector jobs, though. Almost always.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
If it's so mindless, then why don't you play professional football and make $70 million in five years?
It takes a lot of skill, practice, and preparation to be an athlete who is so good that people are willing to pay millions of dollars for it. It also takes a lot of hard work and mental fortitude to play at that level. Anybody commenting on this thread can be a waiter - but not everybody here can earn millions of dollars for playing a sport.
Anyone can be a football player, even little kids, and anyone can be a waiter. But not anyone can be very good and exceptional at anything. Most people would rather play sports and be on a team than to bust their ass in a restaurant. Sports are mostly about being born with enough natural ability, size, strength, speed etc. Some athletes, actors, musicians, authors, entertainers etc are paid millions. That doesn't necessarily mean much other than they are mass marketable. The entertainer, performer is not necessarily fully responsible for the mass marketability.

Anyway, I can see some sports fans suck that multimillionaire athlete d!ck no matter what.

Besides, being a waiter, tipping etc is just part of the issue. This is really about an owner of a restaurant saying he witnessed McCoy being an all around jerk and accuses him of lying after the fact about the service. So the question really is how many people can become a restaurant owner? It might not be PC but I still suspect it's really about a rich, black athlete not wanting to give a white male fan a tip for service. This is something white sports fans may want to take into consideration.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But why do you insist on completely accepting McCoy's version events over the restaurant owner's? I find the restaurant owner to be credible and McCoy's as not credible. Why the fvck would a waiter described as a fan be rude to pro-NFL player? The owner said McCoy's party was very rude from the get go and received good service. It's the owners right to say he didn't like what he observed from McCoy in his restaurant. I wouldn't have done it, but on the other side I wouldn't be rude to a waiter and stiff him his tip either.

And why do you keep describing a 20 cent tip as "not a generous tip"?

Then you go on to describe being a waiter as only walking 30 ft with a plate. Why don't you simplify playing football RB running with a ball and being tackled? Sure, being a pro-football player is harder to become than a good waiter, but that doesn't mean a waiter should not be paid. If one doesn't like the system of tipping, not paying for your service isn't a fair solution. The restaurant owner and waiter isn't entirely responsible for the industry standard of tipping and can't just individually ignore it and stay competitive.

rascal99v

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see why this is such a big deal. The only reason it is, because the staff knew who McCoy was and expected a big gratuity. If he was some regular dude out with friends it wouldn't even matter. They expected a big tip and got pissed off when he didn't deliver. That's all that it is, and why it is a "news story".

There's no law that says you have to leave a large tip because you have status and money if your service isn't satisfactory. Even if it is, that doesn't mean a person is obligated to pay more even if they have a lot of money.

As long as the tip is ok, then that is enough if you weren't getting what you expected.

A lot of rich people are tight wads and only spend money on things for themelves.

I had a plate who worked as a hostess at a high end restaurant. Famous people came into dine and she said that the people who didn't leave a big enough tip "were assh0les". So, they were expecting to get more based on who the people were.

I actually had a waiter give me my tip back and said I insulted him when I left him $1 and 2 cents. That was my intentions because he didn't do a damn thing. He shoved most of his work off to another guy, fvcked up my drinks, and only brought out the left overs. He expected to have a nice gratuity which he didn't get.

When the service sucks, don't expect to get a big tip. That's how it should be. :yes:

Stagger Lee said:
That's not how it works. A minor mistake in itself on an order for a party of four is not considered necessarily bad service or even below average. It depends. Every time a football player makes a minor error on the field they don't lose their pay.
A Football game is completely different than a waiter serving you. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Fvcking up a play in real time is much more difficult than fvcking up an order. Any idiot should be able to write down an order and have the cook prepare it to his liking and bring out the correct order. That isn't too hard when they are expecting to get paid well.

They were automatically giving McCoy special treatment, so their service should be impeccable with no mistakes. Maybe McCoy's party had someplace else to go after dinner and that little mistake made them late. They had to wait on the bad service that wasn't supposed to be.

That happened to me before as well, waiting on their mistakes to bring out another order, which cost my party time, and they didn't get a nice gratuity from us.

Stagger Lee said:
The owner said overall McCoy was very rude yet given very good service.
Of course he is going to say that, he wanted a "news story" to shame the the man. Making mistakes isn't good service as far as I'm concerned.

Here's to the Philadelphia Eagles winning the Super Bowl. :up:

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's not how it works. A minor mistake in itself on an order for a party of four is not considered necessarily bad service or even below average. It depends. Every time a football player makes a minor error on the field they don't lose their pay.

The owner said overall McCoy was very rude yet given very good service. You can sweep that under the carpet all you want. And the expectation is that a patron will tip 10-12% for just average service which could include minor mistake(s). 20%+ is considered a generous tip by convention. To leave 20 cents on a $60 tab is not just "not a generous tip", it's generally understood as a "fvck you and your very rude/poor service". This is why the owner of the restaurant is making a stink and taking offense because he saw McCoy as being the one who was rude and had gotten good service. I believe that version.

If you don't like the industry standard again you're not right to go into a restaurant and receive services then stiff the server for services rendered. If someone doesn't like lawyer fees or the job he did, They don't stiff him on his fee. Just as it's not proper to go into an establishment and be rude to the staff as was alleged. McCoy's versions of events strains credibility.

So we have at least three issues here. An issue of credibility and an issue of what's proper when you are waited on in a restaurant whether you're an average Joe or a rich and famous athlete. And a third red herring issue about whether being a waiter is a "real" job and if and how they should be paid. I think it's really about a rich, entitled black athlete sticking it to a white guy fan.

Anyway, I disagree with you on all three, but we're going around in circles. So we can agree to disagree on this.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in Philly.

Shady is a douche. Everyone around here knows.

He can do things like this while he's on top of the world. But everyone comes down eventually.