Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Nothing to Lose, Need Suggestions

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So I turned 30 recently and I've come to the realization that I'm an empty shell and living simply to exist. I have a decent career and I make enough money to live comfortably, but it all seems senseless and futile. Part of it is likely because I don't have a child or spouse to look after. I also don't have friends/close family, or rather the ones I do are not living anywhere in my area.

So I basically wake up, rot in traffic on my way to work, do the 9 to 5, and then rot in traffic on my way home from work. After that I'm just alone with my thoughts and interests. It gets tiresome and frustrating. I very rarely run into any women or have any opportunities to meet them, so when I do it is easy to fall down the oneitis well. Luckily I have enough experience with women that I know to pull out before I get too attached.

The lack of women and friends combined with the knowledge of current slvt culture and overall moral degradation has made me a very dull boy. I know that I'll never trust a woman enough to marry and start a family now, so it is time to do something drastic.

Basically, I want to do something insane, crazy, dangerous. But I'm having a hard time coming up with feasible avenues of approach. And what I'm looking for is a permanent life change that will put me in consistent danger/harm's way. I'm not talking about going on a weekend skydiving trip here. Think more along the lines of becoming a mercenary and fighting in African tribal wars. Go ahead and laugh, but like I said, I have nothing really to lose. I just want to do something crazy before I die.

So what options do I have? Are there volunteer positions like this out there? Anything I can sign up for that will require me to travel and essentially be on the knife's edge at all times?

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well there's always the military.

If you are smart enough and tough enough you could potentially get into the special forces, which will almost certainly put you in the middle east or some other area of war and terror. From what I understand you need a military background to go be a sellsword or a gun-for-hire.

But I'm not sure you really understand what war entails, and I think you could find yourself in immeasurable regret if you tempt that fate.

If you want adventure, there are many options out there, but none are easy or even fun most of the time. There's always hardcore work in Alaska (fishing and logging industry), the Merchant Marines (trans-oceanic transport), working in oil fields or platforms, etc.

You can always save up $10-20k and go hike the Appalachian Trail, or the Pacific Crest Trail, or even motorcycle across North America. Lots of options for a single man with nothing to lose and some money to burn.

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tictac said:
Join Legion L'Étranger, if they'll take you.

You are 30 you know.

Mercs don't hire trainees.
Thanks for the reply. I know I'm too old to really be accepted into any official organization. Are you saying I have to train for a merc position first, or are you saying don't bother because its too late?

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
Well there's always the military.

If you are smart enough and tough enough you could potentially get into the special forces, which will almost certainly put you in the middle east or some other area of war and terror. From what I understand you need a military background to go be a sellsword or a gun-for-hire.

But I'm not sure you really understand what war entails, and I think you could find yourself in immeasurable regret if you tempt that fate.

If you want adventure, there are many options out there, but none are easy or even fun most of the time. There's always hardcore work in Alaska (fishing and logging industry), the Merchant Marines (trans-oceanic transport), working in oil fields or platforms, etc.

You can always save up $10-20k and go hike the Appalachian Trail, or the Pacific Crest Trail, or even motorcycle across North America. Lots of options for a single man with nothing to lose and some money to burn.
I'm fairly certain Special Forces won't accept anybody over 28. That would've been my first choice though.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheeks said:
And what I'm looking for is a permanent life change that will put me in consistent danger/harm's way. I'm not talking about going on a weekend skydiving trip here. Think more along the lines of becoming a mercenary and fighting in African tribal wars. Go ahead and laugh, but like I said, I have nothing really to lose. I just want to do something crazy before I die.
As though somehow becoming a mercenary and fighting wars is less dangerous/crazy than skydiving?

Check out the wealth and success forum. There are a few threads dealing with this self-discovery and personal awakening.

Guys (myself included) suddenly wake up, watch the matrix movies and fight club on a rainy weekend binge, and decide to pursue dreams that they haven't came up with yet. Hey, at least your recognizing a need, a void to be filled.

Welcome to your personal evolution that's about to start, dude.:cheer:

Go on your "walkabout". Decide what makes you happy, then go after it.

You might find yourself homesteading, moving to Alaska to be a bush pilot, fishing for shrimp like Forrest Gump, joining the peace corps, following the harvests and simply being a fruit picker...

It's a weird place to suddenly find yourself when you realize that "playing everyone else's games" keeps you losing at your life. The GI Joe PSA's used to include "knowing is half the battle".

(lol@"Get that kid of my ice you little wankers!" If you haven't seen the GI Joe PSA spoofs, click the link for some laughs)

Edit: I see Colossus, who is also getting "adventure" minded, has beat me to the "Alaska" idea. Living out with the wolves and bears is stupid if you aren't a proficient woodsman already, don't delude yourself, whatever your ideas are.

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
As though somehow becoming a mercenary and fighting wars is less dangerous/crazy than skydiving?

Check out the wealth and success forum. There are a few threads dealing with this self-discovery and personal awakening.

Guys (myself included) suddenly wake up, watch the matrix movies and fight club on a rainy weekend binge, and decide to pursue dreams that they haven't came up with yet. Hey, at least your recognizing a need, a void to be filled.

Welcome to your personal evolution that's about to start, dude.:cheer:

Go on your "walkabout". Decide what makes you happy, then go after it.

You might find yourself homesteading, moving to Alaska to be a bush pilot, fishing for shrimp like Forrest Gump, joining the peace corps, following the harvests and simply being a fruit picker...

It's a weird place to suddenly find yourself when you realize that "playing everyone else's games" keeps you losing at your life. The GI Joe PSA's used to include "knowing is half the battle".

(lol@"Get that kid of my ice you little wankers!" If you haven't seen the GI Joe PSA spoofs, click the link for some laughs)

Edit: I see Colossus, who is also getting "adventure" minded, has beat me to the "Alaska" idea. Living out with the wolves and bears is stupid if you aren't a proficient woodsman already, don't delude yourself, whatever your ideas are.
I'm willing to train myself up and dedicate the time and energy before I go off on whatever adventure. Not crazy about the idea of living out in the wilderness, I'm more looking for something that will put me in conflict and violent/tense encounters with other humans.

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Mercenary training is not available at your local community college.

Merc firms want people with training and experience in some military with frontline 'experience'.

Check out Legion L'Étranger. (the French Foreign Legion).

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tictac said:
Mercenary training is not available at your local community college.

Merc firms want people with training and experience in some military with frontline 'experience'.

Check out Legion L'Étranger. (the French Foreign Legion).
You know what, I just checked out their site and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. The best part is they accept up to 39 years of age and the only way to apply is to knock on their door.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheeks said:
I'm more looking for something that will put me in conflict and violent/tense encounters with other humans.
Wilderness firefighter?

I understand your over-population angst, but avoid the whole "killing people" trip. Instead of "adversarial", try going "cooperative". It's far better for your soul/karma/juju, and far more attractive to women. The last thing the world needs is another adversary.

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
Wilderness firefighter?

I understand your over-population angst, but avoid the whole "killing people" trip. Instead of "adversarial", try going "cooperative". It's far better for your soul/karma/juju, and far more attractive to women. The last thing the world needs is another adversary.

Be part of the solution, not the problem.
To be honest, I couldn't care less what the world needs at this point, nevermind which is more attractive to women. I've spent most of my life being decent and trying to give value to others. And here I am. Western culture is in decline and the sooner it's destroyed the sooner it can be rebuilt. Give me a gun and tell me what to shoot.

syemour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheeks said:
To be honest, I couldn't care less what the world needs at this point, nevermind which is more attractive to women. I've spent most of my life being decent and trying to give value to others. And here I am. Western culture is in decline and the sooner it's destroyed the sooner it can be rebuilt. Give me a gun and tell me what to shoot.

I can understand your anger. It's part of the grief of realizing you've been suckered into getting in line with the rest of the sheeple beating themselves silly in the rat race of keeping up with the Jones'/materialism/consumerism. You can just never have enough! It's an endless dangling carrot that leaves you feeling worthless and ashamed to persist: you can see the stick, the string, and the carrot.

The "victim of society" thing is a garbage attitude. It's a cheap mental cop-out, and is why people are urging you to get out on a "walkabout". Look up "walkabout" and see what it's purpose is.

You can't fix the world by being a one-man clean-up crew. Won't work. Hasn't worked. It's been tried and it didn't make a dent. You can only fix what you can fix; and that's YOU.

Get away from people and you'll be able to recognize the stresses associated. Trust me, I used to wait behind idiots stopped on the on ramp, wait behind endless lines of angry and bitter grocery shoppers, all that overpopulation noise... I cut that negativity out of my life and live in a calm serenity of my own design.

The city is a scary place that I only visit when I need provisions. It's an adversarial place full of crabs-in-a-barrel adversaries looking to drag you down, steal, cheat, or employ you as a slave. Yes, yes, "decline". Greed and insignificance abounds.

Read this: The Map and Compass Many of us have been at that place. Perhaps our anger was initially outward towards the world. But, most of us who've successfully evolved past that point learned the difference between "internal validation" and "external validation" in the process.

You are "externally validating" yourself right now, hence your outward anger. However, learn to gauge yourself not by what the WORLD expects you to do/be, but what YOU expect of yourself. Once you have your "X" on your map, the only person holding you back from your goals is you. The world isn't your problem. You are. Don't fight the world for ownership and control of yourself.

Go out to nature. She will help heal your wounds.

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Vulpine. Those are all good points. I just want to stress that I'm not trying to fix the world. My only goal is to get into a little trouble and pass the time before death.

Dlbrunner

Reaction score
Great post vulpine. Really struck a chord with me.

Cheeks- ever think of being a bail bondsman? P.I. ? Both seem like they have a little danger factor to them... Both have that "hunting" element to them you seem to be looking for. Plus there is the exposure to the really seedy underbelly of humanity. Just spitballing here....

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Train yourself for 6 months to be a sniper and then go undercover in Syria and Iraq and shoot yourself some ISIS clowns.

You will probably end up being beheaded, but it will be a helluva way to go out.

Cheeks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
I second the Foreign Legion idea, because at 30 unfortunately OP you're too old to join any US special forces. Which is too bad, since then you could have joined the Navy Seals, Delta Force, Green Berets, or my favorite the CIA special forces - where you could have joined either the paramilitary force or the political action team. But the French foreign legion will be good too, you'll see a lot of action especially with all that crap going on in Congo, Rwanda, and the Central African Republic. Just watch out for the Ebola.

And don't worry about getting your head cut off, the chances of that are extremely slim. Even in really bad wars for common soldiers such as WWI or WWII, over 90 percent of the troops survived and came home. The chances of you getting killed or seriously injured are probably even less than some common professions such as construction worker, lumberjack, and electrician.
From what I understand the FFL are essentially just shock troops. A misfit band of foreigners the French government sends in to die before the army proper gets their hands dirty. I'm not trying to belittle what they do, just saying that they aren't really special forces.

yoyoing

Don Juan
Reaction score
I doubt that joining any kind of foreign legion or the military will put you in direct action or combat right away. 90 % of your work will probably be humanitarian or peace keeping work.

You could train in MMA and start fighting. Or learn martial arts ( will help you control your anger )

Maybe moving to another country . Somewhere more peacfull away from all that TV , newspaper and all the crap.

jimjam

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION!!!!

All the way.

Damn, I wish I could go with you. However, I'm 42 and I have MS. Let me know if you find something that wakes you and shakes you. The everyday workaday life seems so......fake. hiding in a trench with bullets flying over you while you're just trying to stay alive and kill the dudes who are trying to kill you seems so much more......noble.

Good luck