Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Journal: An Ectomorph Trying to Put on Mass

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Going to start a workout log to track my progress.

I want to keep it very simple. Eat a lot, train hard, sleep right.

I started working out 2 years ago weighing 119 lbs

My current weight is at 162 lbs

My goal weight is to reach 175 lbs

Once I reach 175 I will do a brief cutting phase

My main concern for attaining my goals is going to be reaching all of my macro needs, because i find it gruelling sometimes to eat all of that food. My workouts never suffer. Its all about my will power and determination in the kitchen that I am going to have to strive to better.

What I will be tracking:

1] I will be documenting my macro intake per day - carbs/proteins/fats

2] Documenting my caloric intake per day

3] Tracking how heavy I am lifting for my main exercises

4] Every Sunday I will weigh in and see how much Ive gained

NEEDED MACRO INTAKE

Protein intake
- 177 grams/day
- 35.4 grams /meal

Carb intake
- 440 grams/day
- 88 grams/meal

Fat intake
- 117 grams/day
- 23.4 grams/meal

Daily Caloric Intake - 3550 calories

These are the supplements that I am using

- multivitamins
- fishoils
- xtend
- whey protein
- waxy maze
- c4

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am just about to go to the gym in about 30 minutes to do Back/Shoulders

Back/Shoulders Routine:

Deadlifts - 4 sets x 6 - 12 reps (depending on weight) - My max DL is 245 lbs

Military press - 4 sets x 8 - 10 reps - 115 lbs

Lat pulldown - 3 sets

DB Shoulder Press - 3 sets - 60 lb DB's

Barbell rows/t bar - 3 sets

Seated Side Lateral Raise - 3 sets

Seated Rows - 3 sets

Front DB Raise - 3 sets

Then I do a circuit for traps

Then 15 mins abs after

I forget how heavy I lift for the other exercises. I will find out tonight and then edit this post and fill them in.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need the following.

Creatine
Glutamine
Tribulus
L-Carnitine
BCAAs
Casein Protein

Waxy maize? Lol. Don't even know why you are using that. The rest is fine.

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
You need the following.

Creatine
Glutamine
Tribulus
L-Carnitine
BCAAs
Casein Protein

Waxy maize? Lol. Don't even know why you are using that. The rest is fine.
Have creatine, Have glutamine, Have L-carnitine, Xtend IS Bcaa's, dont need casein

And waxy maze is just carbs, I add it to my shake, to fit my macros.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
You need the following.

Creatine Yes, only thing on this list that is a must
Glutamine Nope, definitely not needed
Tribulus So little evidence that this actually works.
L-Carnitine A nice compound but I'm not sure why you're reccomendin it
BCAAs Not needed if he's already getting in enough protein and isn't training fasting
Casein Protein Not needed again, but it wouldn't hurt. It's pricey though.

Waxy maize? Lol. Don't even know why you are using that. The rest is fine. Fast acting carbs, nothing wrong with them and quite useful to use during long training sessions but again, not needed.
Comments in bold

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
narcissist said:
Have creatine, Have glutamine, Have L-carnitine, Xtend IS Bcaa's, dont need casein

And waxy maze is just carbs, I add it to my shake, to fit my macros.
You do need casein. Who said you didn't? The hours you sleep count as well. You need food to feed your muscles.

You'd be better off drinking a mass gainer. Since you are an ectomorph and very skinny.

@Danzy:

Glutamine is needed. I can concur that you haven't taken tribulus, or haven't done it properly, to make that comment.

BCAAs are needed. In the morning or during his workout.

You need something for the hours you sleep. Whether he wants to eat food or drink a casein shake before bed, it is imperative for him to do.

Seems a waste. Drink a mass gainer/super mass gainer.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
You do need casein. Who said you didn't? The hours you sleep count as well. You need food to feed your muscles.

You'd be better off drinking a mass gainer. Since you are an ectomorph and very skinny.

@Danzy:

Glutamine is needed. I can concur that you haven't taken tribulus, or haven't done it properly, to make that comment.

BCAAs are needed. In the morning or during his workout.

You need something for the hours you sleep. Whether he wants to eat food or drink a casein shake before bed, it is imperative for him to do.

Seems a waste. Drink a mass gainer/super mass gainer.
Glutamine is not needed Here's why
Tribulus for what? Test levels? Because it does jacksh1t for your testosterone. Yes, there have been anecdotal reports of an increase in libido but that does not correlate to a test boost.
BCAAs are only needed if he's doing fasted training but they won't hurt.
Your meals are not digested instantly, you will have glucose and amino acids in your bloodstream for hours afterwards. Your muscles are not going to atrophy overnight. Casein is not needed.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danzy-

Have you ever taken Tribulus? Or are you, like every other follower, saying what you heard from someone else? If you know someone that took it, did you compare his experience to someone else that also took it? Why is this important? Because everyone is different and it may work on some people and on others it may not/to the full extent.

It does work. 3 capsules a day for 30 days and you'll see a difference. THAT IS... If you are religious about going to the gym and maximizing the effects of it.

Casein - You do need it. You can replace it with food also. I've talked to many bodybuilders, fitness nutritionists and one researcher who was developing a faster absorbing one. Their responses all varied, but they all had one thing in common. You NEED to feed your muscles while you are sleeping.

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
as much as I like you guys helping me out can you PLEASE debate what you think are necessary and unnecessary supplements in another thread?

This is my journal, and y'all are jackin it lol

Last edited:

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
narcissist, you asked us a question about supplementation and we merely responded. It is up to you to decide which sources/scientific findings you want to rely on in order to supplement your diet.

If you want to ignore the wealth of information we've provided you with and write it off as a "thread hijack" go ahead, but you're doing so at your own risk. Personally, I think the only supplements that can possibly help you are whey/casein protein, creatine, and glutamine. And that's only if you're not eating enough natural food. Since you're a young guy, unless you have some kind of disorder you probably produce plenty of testosterone naturally on your own but if Ronaldo has any scientific evidence to back up his claims about Tribulus I wouldn't mind reading up on it.

As for casein before you go to bed, I don't think it's necessary. Many people have successfully cut down fat and built muscle using IF (intermittent fasting) in which case they go without food for as long as 16 to 24 hours. Studies have shown that (a) protein synthesis rebuilds muscle when the food is consumed 24 hours after a workout just as effectively as right after and (2) the body will not begin to break down its own muscles for fuel until after either 40 hours of fasting or very intensive cardio/endurance exercise.

I meant no disrespect what so ever, honestly. Sorry if it has come across that way, but I've made so many journals for fitness that get high jacked here its absurd.

And i never asked for supplementation advice. Ronaldo simply assumed i needed it.

Anyways thank you for the advice mate.. Much appreciated.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
narcissist said:
I meant no disrespect what so ever, honestly. Sorry if it has come across that way, but I've made so many journals for fitness that get high jacked here its absurd.

And i never asked for supplementation advice. Ronaldo simply assumed i needed it.

Anyways thank you for the advice mate.. Much appreciated.
Do they get hijacked or do you simply give up? Hm.

I didn't assume you needed it. I know you need it. 160 lbs is pretty light and if you truly want to put on some mass, you should listen like Brad said. A personal trainer costs some money to give you the same advice we are providing you. Don't be so sensitive. We are trying to help you out.

Edit - Reserved for Tribulus research i will provide.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brad, that's 2 papers against 121 that examine have meticulously reviewed. They're well known for being factual and accurate. The best fitness professionals (like Layne Norton, Alan Aragon etc) utilise their info for a reason.
You can have your conclusion formed from 2 studies, theirs from 121. Strangely enough, they utilise a paper penned by the doctor you've referenced: Dr Wilmore. I trust them, doctors, researchers and the best people in the fitness industry trust them, you should too.

Ronaldo, Here's your research. Clearly, it may be a useful for compound for health reasons but otherwise, no.

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not going to go and read all the studies, I couldn't give a fvck about glutamine and frankly, I have better things to do. Examine.com is the most widely respected supplement resource out there, countless professionals use it. They're not just some website. Were I quoting bb.com to tnation; I could understand the scepticism. As an amatuer enthusiast, I'm going to use their advice; feel free not to. It's not my field of study, I'll leave it to people I trust

Look the problem with glutamine is that it looks incredible on paper. However the vast majority of benefits found with it come with intravenous dosing and these same benefits do not carry over to oral dosages. I did not say it's useless, I merely said it's not needed. I used to use it, noticed no changes whatsoever when off it and promptly stopped buying it.
I'm curious, what do you do for a living?

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not that I don't care about the studies, it's just that I have better things to do than read through them when we have such resources at hand.

I'm interested because you're enthusiastic regarding this subject and was interested as to whether you're involved in the industry or not.

Layne Norton used to reccomend glutamine but no longer does so. Why? New research. That article is from 2002, and utilises studies from 1956. Did you go through each and every one of the studies listed? How do you know that the author is reliable? I'm comfortable with not reading all the studies examine use because I know that they're reliable. This is some interesting info on Dr Passwater, it makes me very doubtful.

Yes, they'll admit when they're wrong as will I but I feel like I'm correct with regards to this. I'm presenting you with new info and you're ignoring it as well, I think you're utilising old information. There's no point arguing this, I've read all of it and I'm happy with my opinion.