Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Kailex's Journal

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I signed up for a gym some time ago and find myself going sparingly. My job never really has set hours, but the core of my schedule is 8 to 5. The problem is that many times I can do two workouts a week in the morning and that's all I have time for. But I do find myself sometimes with time at night where I could go at night, but I;m supposed to go the next morning.

So basically, I can never have a set schedule as to when I can go. It always seems like I'm switching it up and because of the difference in time intervals, I get stuck with an awkward routine.

Has anyone ever worked out at night and then on the following morning as well?

My problem is also one of lack of motivation. I was supposed to have a gym partner and then they never followed through, so on really tough work days, I almost never feel like going at night, which in turn pisses me off sometimes, but I can't help but feeling exhausted mentally, which in turn leads me to be sedentary physically.

I want to get in shape for the summer, and it's almost here. I've been calorie counting like a mad man but I know that the gym is a bigger boost to this as well.

Has anyone had "unusual" work schedules and how did you work around it to get a certain flow to it???

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
I signed up for a gym some time ago and find myself going sparingly. My job never really has set hours, but the core of my schedule is 8 to 5. The problem is that many times I can do two workouts a week in the morning and that's all I have time for. But I do find myself sometimes with time at night where I could go at night, but I;m supposed to go the next morning.

So basically, I can never have a set schedule as to when I can go. It always seems like I'm switching it up and because of the difference in time intervals, I get stuck with an awkward routine.

Has anyone ever worked out at night and then on the following morning as well?

My problem is also one of lack of motivation. I was supposed to have a gym partner and then they never followed through, so on really tough work days, I almost never feel like going at night, which in turn pisses me off sometimes, but I can't help but feeling exhausted mentally, which in turn leads me to be sedentary physically.

I want to get in shape for the summer, and it's almost here. I've been calorie counting like a mad man but I know that the gym is a bigger boost to this as well.

Has anyone had "unusual" work schedules and how did you work around it to get a certain flow to it???
Yeah you can workout at night and the following morning. A lot of people do it. Some do 2 a days as long as each workout is spaced at least 6 hours apart and you eat/rest like a beast.

here read, learn and stop making excuses. I know people who have gone through med school, who still trained at least 4 to 6 times a week. It's all about how bad YOU WANT IT. From what I read all you have is job with varying hours some days. That's nothing to overcome.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_.../how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_1&cr=

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_.../how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_2&cr=

Post up what routine you choose based on goals and exercise out line. I'll help you with the rest. Checkout Christians tips on food also, guy is one of the BEST.

I think it'll up your motivation once you have a set plan and goal in mind. You seem lost as to what you want to achieve and how to get from point A to point B. So of course you'll go sparingly you don't know what the hell you really want or are doing. So take some time out of your day sit your ass down with a note pad and pen. Write down everything you want to achieve and find solutions to your problems.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay Carlitos, I'm reenlisting your help here.
At this point last year, I was at 230.
Right now, I am at 199.

I do the necessary cardio with weight training 2-3 times a week. I know I could probably up this to 4-5.

My problem is that I am stuck at 199-200.
And I think the source of my problem begins from what I'm eating.

I guess I should give you some facts on what I can't eat:

- I'm allergic to peanuts, almonds, any kind of nut-related products.
- I can't stand eggs.
- I avoid all sodas and only have milk with cereal.
- I've been trying to let go of beer and only having a drink or two when I do go out.

I'm eating between 4 to 5 times a day and have been calorie counting. I'd say that my calorie intake in a day is ALWAYS less than 2,000 a day, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm open to any suggestions.
I read in another thread to just cook up ground beef and sautee some vegetables with it. This is I already like, because I love ground beef and love me some vegetables as well.

I just think something is completely off...
And I think it stems at the fact that I am eating too much cereal.
What should I be having for breakfast?

I've always subscribed to the theory of eating more for breakfast, enough for lunch, and little for lunch.

Can you give me any suggestions of what a normal day would look like for me? I really want to get down another 30 pounds, but I seem to have plateaued.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Can you give me any suggestions of what a normal day would look like for me? I really want to get down another 30 pounds, but I seem to have plateaued.
What's your body fat %? Focus on losing body fat, not weight. If you can't work it out, then just tell us your stats on the squat, deadlift and bench press to give us an idea of how much of it is muscle.

For losing fat, you should greatly reduce you carb intake, save it for pre and post workout. Cut out milk. Do cardio after a weight training session.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very general plan .......

Only eat the following

Lean chicken breast, lean beef, fish, eggs

Brown Rice, Plain Rice Cakes, Steel Cut Oats (no instant mix stuff)

Green Veggies, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Natty Peanut Butter

Use spices for seasoning and I can't believe its not butter is fine as well as splenda (can put it in your peanut butter and oats)

Eat 6 meals a day and only have your carbs the meal before and after your workout.

Lift weights 3-4 days a week

Do cardio 40min 6days a week

Report back in a month

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Okay Carlitos, I'm reenlisting your help here.
At this point last year, I was at 230.
Right now, I am at 199.

Ok that's good I imagine your body compisition looks a lot better. Use the mirror as your best judge always. Digital scales suck for bf%, with lifting and cardio.. your weight will fluctuate cause of muscle gained and fat loss. Hell you could have lost 40 lbs of fat and gained 10 lbs of solid muscle for all you know!!

I do the necessary cardio with weight training 2-3 times a week. I know I could probably up this to 4-5.

IF you could I'd bump up the weight training to 4-5 times a week. This alongside morning cardio (hell you don't start work until 8 am, jump on the morning fasted cardio!! have a small protein shake or bcaa's and some green tea (or caffeine pills/coffee to rev you up some) and do a quick 30-45 minutes any time you can, long brisk walks, elliptical, bike intervals whatever, **** running though it's over rated for the most part.

My problem is that I am stuck at 199-200.
And I think the source of my problem begins from what I'm eating.

I guess I should give you some facts on what I can't eat:

- I'm allergic to peanuts, almonds, any kind of nut-related products.
- I can't stand eggs.

Why can't you stand eggs? Eggs + fresh salsa, little sea salt, 1/2 avocado on the side is delicious and a protein power packed anabolic meal!! I can't stand hard boiled eggs, I always pan fry in olive oil/little butter or I have used virgin coconut oil before also.

- I avoid all sodas and only have milk with cereal.

Ditch the cereal and replace it with plain oatmeal (use milk or water, I use water as I don't drink much milk, maybe a glass once in a great while). Some tricks add splenda+ cinnamon to sweeten it up a lot more, throw some fresh pears or strawberries/blueberries in and you got a real good meal.

A fast trick I do for an awesome breakfast that'll have you feeling full and ready for the day is fresh fruit+quick cooking oats+splenda+cinnamon+2 scoops whey protein. (I use dymatize or Optimum Nutrition only, chocolate flavors are the best)

- I've been trying to let go of beer and only having a drink or two when I do go out.

That's good, I always have a real night light beer miller light's or mgd 64's ...Both have real low amounts of calories and are not very filling. Once in a while though I enjoy a nice dark ale :D Straight liquor is another thing I'll lean towards and I'll just sip on that all night (a good tequila on the rocks with just lime) or whiskey :p

I'm eating between 4 to 5 times a day and have been calorie counting. I'd say that my calorie intake in a day is ALWAYS less than 2,000 a day, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Seems a tad too low on cals for some one your size.. I'd say try bumping up your protein intake up some and see what happens. Maybe some more good fats would do you good too (avocados/ olive oil drizzled on foods/ coconut oil)

I'm open to any suggestions.
I read in another thread to just cook up ground beef and sautee some vegetables with it. This is I already like, because I love ground beef and love me some vegetables as well.

Think that was me lol...Yeah very simple, one of my favorites is doing bell peppers+ onions, sea salt and a Mrs. Dash seasoning of your choice. A little olive oil/butter (especially if meat is real lean) and sauteee it up!!! After you could drizzle some extra virgin olive oil or "light" tasting olive oil on it and boom! you have a very filling protein+good fat packed meal.

I just think something is completely off...
And I think it stems at the fact that I am eating too much cereal.
What should I be having for breakfast?

yep already explained to you my whey protein+oatmeal and fresh fruit breakfast....which is quick easy and efficiently gets the job done. Most cereals on the market are ****, sorry. It's sad but truth. Your cereal should have only one ingredient "rolled oats"

I've always subscribed to the theory of eating more for breakfast, enough for lunch, and little for lunch.

oh but this greatly depends...If I busted ass all day at work and in the gym, you bet your ass I'll do my best to keep my protein intake high all day as to help preserve muscle mass and keep hunger @ bay and keep my metabolism revving strong.

In dieting it's all about getting adequate amount of quality calories from protein/good fats and timing your carbs to when you really need them (mornings and before/after workouts).

I'm very different than most people in hat I can literally eat carbs all freakin' day, I'll take down pasta, potatoes, pizza bread sticks, protein shakes with oats and not even put on much fat (double edged sword as it gets very expensive to feed my ass at times hahha [/ B]

Brown rice/wild rice, sweet potatoes, steaks/ground beef, cottage cheese, chicken, fish (salmon is best, tilapia is k) lots of veggies (avocado, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, peppers) oatmeal. Wheat pasta I'm certain you don't have issues with? (great here or there yet I wouldn't over indulge)

Check out ezekiel bread also, very good stuff (pretty sure it's free of nuts and all that). The raisin cinnamon is delicious :), great for breakfast. The original one could be used pretty much any time.

You could do... something like

Breakfast

1 cup of oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon
2 scoops whey protein
1 piece of fruit
cup of green tea
fish oil

2 1/2-3 hours later
6-8 oz ground beef+mrs. dash seasoning, sea salt and veggies+ 2 tablespoons of olive oil drizzled on top

2 1/2-3 hours later
chicken salad + balsamic vinegar/little olive oil, favorite cheese and 1/2 an avocado

fish or more ground beef/steak with seasonings/fav veggies + 1/2 cup sweet potatoe

train....

post work out

chicken/fish + cup of white rice or a small potatoe or two

before bed
casein protein shake with 2 tbsps of light tasting olive oil or
1 cup and 1/2 of cottage cheese or 1 cup of cottage cheese + 1 scoop chocolate whey protein
Some people like cottage cheese with pepper and salt, others like it sweetened up with protein powder/splenda, experiment!

Cottage cheese is also great in the morning with fruit and mixed with oatmeal!!!

Another nice snack is fresh tomatoes+balsamic vinegar+olive oil+ mozzarella balls+basil+sea salt and maybe some pepper...yum

Lots of green tea, fish oil....is great

water, I drink a lot of crystal light green tea mixes or sugar free koolaid (grape) is the ****!!!!

For the most part that's some of the best things I'd make staples in your nutrition plan.

Dr. Jonny Bowden and Dr. John Berardi have awesome books some with info on foods/vegetables and other books with many great recipes, with nutritional break downs and everything. These two are at the top of their games and I would listen to them in regards to nutrition. Both have youtube channels, so check em' out any free time you have.

EDIT: also make garlic your best friend when cooking :), I also only use Redmond's sea salt. Celtic Sea salt is very good too, in my opinion these two are some of the best salts on the market as they still have essential trace minerals, because they weren't processed at all. Most salt= crap.

majoriy of your sodium should only be comining from sea salts/pickles. :)

Last edited:

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely loving the wealth of information here. I'm about to head home, but I wanted to throw out a question there. I'll answer some of the earlier posts tomorrow.

But, CarlitosWay, to address you, I absolutely hate scrambled eggs. The smell revolts me and the taste has never really been something to write home about.

I will, however, eat eggs overeasy... I don't know much about eggs so forgive my ignorance, but these are the eggs that have the yolk in the middle that sometimes people will dip their bread into? That I can have as long as there is some pepper and salt.

Is there a difference in the way it's made?
Is an omelette better than scrambled but worse than overeasy?

I have no clue. But if it meant getting in shape, I think I'll try to stomach it.

I absolutely love oatmeal, specially with cinammon, so this is great news for me. I'm loving a lot of the options you've thrown at me here.

And lastly, how big of a mess is having a coffee in the morning? Is this something I should avoid completely? I had a nutriotionist tell me in the past that a cup of coffee could actually help speed my metabolism and I did notice my biggest losses in weight to be coupled with drinking coffee and keeping a set routine.

Is this a placebo for me or is it the real deal???

Thanks.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Absolutely loving the wealth of information here. I'm about to head home, but I wanted to throw out a question there. I'll answer some of the earlier posts tomorrow.

But, CarlitosWay, to address you, I absolutely hate scrambled eggs. The smell revolts me and the taste has never really been something to write home about.

I will, however, eat eggs overeasy... I don't know much about eggs so forgive my ignorance, but these are the eggs that have the yolk in the middle that sometimes people will dip their bread into? That I can have as long as there is some pepper and salt.

You sound like a good candidate for "poached eggs" like shown here, yes the vinegar does make a huge difference...I add salt to the water also to help heat it up fast/better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxvxwk3TFPQ

I've made sandwiches with poached eggs the ezekiel bread I mentioned, little bit of cheese to and it was HEAVEN. An awesome wholesome meal.

Yeah but by themselves with some sea salt and pepper is delicious too, almos too good, I have at times cleaned 10 eggs in one setting no problem !! Hell I've drank 12 raw eggs down, trick is put a lot of splenda in it :D

A Marine I know literally drinks a dozen or more raw eggs everyday, he's one of the biggest and strongest guys I know.

Is there a difference in the way it's made?
Is an omelette better than scrambled but worse than overeasy?

I have no clue. But if it meant getting in shape, I think I'll try to stomach it.

I absolutely love oatmeal, specially with cinammon, so this is great news for me. I'm loving a lot of the options you've thrown at me here.

Add some splenda too, it's a great combo and I actually enjoy every bite.

I love how a lot of people thinking eating good/healthy means boring ass foods and unflavorful stuff, that doesn't have to be the case.

Hell 2-3 years ago I didn't know how to cook for ****. You know what I know how to cook now? A bad ass ground beef chili, italian white wine based chicken cacciotore, I can make a bad ass olive oil based italian dressing (make the dressing even!) feta cheese grilled chicken spinach salad, I can grill steaks/chickens like no ones business

I'd allow yourself 1-2 cheat meals a week. Could be pizza on a sunday night or one nice hamburgerduring the week, or one night have something sweet cake or something. Eating clean for so long and than hitting some food like that can at times satisfy urges and get your metabolism/fat loss revving even faster!!

also I experiment with dry rub seasonings all the time !!! Make it fun... I used foodnetwork.com and find the best reviews for stuff and I'll make the recipe with some tweaks to my liking.

And lastly, how big of a mess is having a coffee in the morning? Is this something I should avoid completely? I had a nutriotionist tell me in the past that a cup of coffee could actually help speed my metabolism and I did notice my biggest losses in weight to be coupled with drinking coffee and keeping a set routine.

Is this a placebo for me or is it the real deal???

Thanks.
No caffeine is great, like everything moderation is key. I'll have one or 2 cups of coffee max...as I use a pre-workout supplement that also has caffeine and I drink green tea (which also has caffeine) and sometimeS I pop caffeine pills. lol <3 caffeine. It'll def rev up your metabolism and zone you in for cardio/training sessions.

Anyways, just stay on top of it look at it as more of a lifestyle you want to live, instead of looking at as more work or hassle as you'll most likely won' keep it up if that is your mind state.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm healing my knee from a flag football incident BUT my change in diet has been remarkable, Carlitos.

I'm loving the way I eat now and ever since this thread, I've noticed an improvement in my mood. My weight loss has been minimal because of the no gym, but next week I hit the doctor's in order to see if I can get back to the gym. I been working upper body and have exchanged some weight for mass.

Once I hit the gym, I will be starting a journal.

Lorekeeper's journal has kept me pumped up the whole time.

Thank you Carlitos.
The fish oil alone has improved my mood. :D

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
I'm healing my knee from a flag football incident BUT my change in diet has been remarkable, Carlitos.

I'm loving the way I eat now and ever since this thread, I've noticed an improvement in my mood. My weight loss has been minimal because of the no gym, but next week I hit the doctor's in order to see if I can get back to the gym. I been working upper body and have exchanged some weight for mass.

Once I hit the gym, I will be starting a journal.

Lorekeeper's journal has kept me pumped up the whole time.

Thank you Carlitos.
The fish oil alone has improved my mood. :D
Yeah don't hesitate to load up 2 to 3 times the recommended dosage, otherwise known as "mega dosing" with the fish oil. It's one of those things at times when inflammation gets pretty bad more is BETTER.

Glad you took heed to my advice. I enjoy helping people and hearing results. Especially in a world where everyone is trying to sell you some bull**** left and right the proverbial "magic pill"

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kaliex,

What's your goal bro? Sounds like your looking to drop some weight and lose some body fat from what I'm reading.

Carlitos has a lot of solid advice, but I disagree with a couple of his suggestions:

1) bad idea to workout at night then workout again first thing in the morning (unless your just doing cardio the next morning, which to be fair he did suggest but wasn't sure if he meant you should do weights back to back like that)

2) ditch the splenda for green leaf stevia. Splenda, Aspartame, all the chemical based artificial sweetners are toxic to your health... forget about leaning out and gaining size for a second and think about the bigger picture too.

3) I also disagree with his suggestion to do weights 4-5x a week. Depending on your bf at this moment, your primary focus should be fat loss. Yes I realize you can absolutely burn fat by working out with weights if you keep your rest short and reps high; but IMHO based on what your looking to do I'd keep weights at 3x a week and do cardio 3x a week. Instead of running on the treadmill or climbing the elliptical for ridiculous lengths of time, its much more efficient and effective to do shorter sessions of cardio at a higher intensity; 20-25 minutes of high intensity cardio will kick your @ss better than an hour long session at a lower intensity and increase fat burning

--------------------------------------------------------

Cooking Oils:

The absolute BEST cooking oil for high temp cooking is extra virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is also an excellent anti-oxidant and its primarily composed of medium chain triglycerides. There are numerous benefits to them such as increased fat burning, improved digestion, anti-bacteria, anti-fungal etc.

For low temp cooking or salad dressing use olive oil; flaxseed oil is a good alternative to the salad dressing.

Are you familiar with Metabolic Typing? Its an EXCELLENT philosophy and can really help you take your fitness and body to the next level. I won't bore you with the details but the premise of this theory and way of eating is that each individual is remarkably different in the way they assimilate nutrition from different foods. For example, a sweet potato, known as a excellent complex carb and beneficial for energy may not do well in your system, while someone else might thrive on it. Find out what type you are: Protein, Carb, or Mixed and eat for the way you were designed if that makes sense. There's a lot more to it than this, but I think it can really help you and many others. Put it this way, when you go shopping for clothes you buy the ones that fit you, in this example eating should be the same way. In my opinion after years in exercise and nutrition there's no cookie cutter formula that will work for every single person. Yes low carb, high protein for fat loss, high calorie and protein for weight and muscle gain work, BUT if you eat for your Metabolic Type it will take your performance to the next level. If your interested in this I can send you more info.

Couple other random thoughts from things I noticed while reading replies and your post:

-Almonds are not a nut, they belong to the genus prunus, which includes apricots, cherries, peaches and plums. Chances are your not allergic or sensitive to almonds, even if you have nut allergies. If you've noticed you still react poorly to almonds, then definitely avoid them. A good alternative are pumpkin seeds; great source of protein and high in beneficial omega fats.

-Speaking of omega fats I know your taking fish oil capsules; I'm a big fan of Cod Liver Oil, yes the actual oil. Garden of Life makes a lemon-mint flavored one called Icelandic Cod Liver Oil and its actually good! No I'm serious, no fish breath, no fish burps and is 10x higher in beneficial omega fats compared to a handful of fish oil pills. Not to mention many fish oil companies use cheap fillers like soybean oil which are $hit and degrade the quality of the supplement.

-I think Carlitos mentioned this too, but get a good unrefined ocean sea salt for your cooking. Sea salt is rich in trace minerals which are keep for activating your metabolism and helping fat loss.

-Definitely go low carb, but not Atkins or into keto. However I would keep carbs at a level that still gives you energy, but doesn't make you constantly feel full throughout the day; your goal should be to speed up that metabolism through eating every 2-3 hours on the dot!! This is crucial and I can't stress it enough when your trying to burn fat and build muscle. Secondly, increase your healthy fat intake the lower you go in carbs. What I suggest is going with a good macro-nutrient breakdown for fat loss (you'll have to play around with this and figure out what works for you) 45/25/30 or maybe 50/20/30; don't be afraid of the fat as long as its from healthy sources, increased fat intake will help your body to burn existing body fat. Those ratios represent protein, carbs and fat.

There's lots of different schools of thought, but just a couple of examples of what many people do. Some go very low carb through the week, eat most of their carbs in the morning and post workout, then have a carb load day on the weekend.

Others stick to a certain calorie, macro level, lets say 1800 calories a day and then drop calories slightly every other week to keep the body from getting use to your routine. Depending on how much cardio your doing and how intense your workouts are, you will want to monitor this closely so you don't drop your calories too low. I don't recommend going lower than 1,400 when trying to drop body fat.

-Not sure if your already doing this but get a good whey protein supplement. Carlitos mentioned a couple of good ones, I'd also highly suggest L-glutamine powder 10-20g a day in 2-3 different servings.

I'll post more as it comes to mind, but looks like your doing well and hope you get over that little injury quickly and get back to it.

Good luck

PIMP

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pimp-sicle said:
What's your goal bro? Sounds like your looking to drop some weight and lose some body fat from what I'm reading.

Carlitos has a lot of solid advice, but I disagree with a couple of his suggestions:

1) bad idea to workout at night then workout again first thing in the morning (unless your just doing cardio the next morning, which to be fair he did suggest but wasn't sure if he meant you should do weights back to back like that)

Huh? One at most only needs 6 hours in between sessions as long as it's not something like doing heavy back work than 6 hours later doing heavy ass leg work with free weights. Many people do two a days, it's nothing new and as long as sessions are brief they're great.

2) ditch the splenda for green leaf stevia. Splenda, Aspartame, all the chemical based artificial sweetners are toxic to your health... forget about leaning out and gaining size for a second and think about the bigger picture too.

Are you serious how is splenda bad? It's only maltodextrin and dextrose both derived from corn used sparingly it's fine, unless he's dumping around a cups worth in one setting he has nothing to really worry about. I like the novella brand stuff cause it's like splenda with probiotics in it.

Now onto big bad ol Aspartame....hhahaa :box: Taken from here .....http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=74032

From Dr. Layne Norton himself, guy knows more about nutrition and the body in general than both of us combined.

Originally Posted by
BigPoppaPump3 said:
View Post
Aspartame causes brain damage etc. Research it bro.
Layne Norton said:
no it doesn't. This is how this bull**** get's spread, by people talking about research that doesn't exist like it's the freakin' grail. Please show me one study with a reasonable (not 1000 times the recommended amount) dose of aspartame showing any negative side effects. You won't find one, I can show you dozens that demonstrated it's perfectly fine.

the only people saying this are those idiot cult following organic tree huggers who don't actually read real research. Aspartame is one of the most tested compounds in the world and every single study (and there are many) done using doses within the daily acceptable range for aspartame have shown it to be totally fine

Not to pick on you too much but this really bothers me because this is how this BS gets spread, because people kick around nonsense without actually researching it. You tell him to research it when it's clear you have not really researched it yourself. Unless you call reading some article on some organic website research.

3) I also disagree with his suggestion to do weights 4-5x a week. Depending on your bf at this moment, your primary focus should be fat loss. Yes I realize you can absolutely burn fat by working out with weights if you keep your rest short and reps high; but IMHO based on what your looking to do I'd keep weights at 3x a week and do cardio 3x a week. Instead of running on the treadmill or climbing the elliptical for ridiculous lengths of time, its much more efficient and effective to do shorter sessions of cardio at a higher intensity; 20-25 minutes of high intensity cardio will kick your @ss better than an hour long session at a lower intensity and increase fat burning

If he does short 40-45 minutes sessions 4-5 times a week and morning cardio any days he can. He'll get to his goals that much faster, ask what a natty bodybuilder does when he's dropping a **** load of fat prepping for a contest...daily cardio and still lifts weights hitting muscle groups at least twice a week. His biggest priority should be a good weight training frequency to preserve muscle as much as possible and doing daily cardio. One of those 4-5 days being a circuit type routine.

Cooking Oils:

The absolute BEST cooking oil for high temp cooking is extra virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is also an excellent anti-oxidant and its primarily composed of medium chain triglycerides. There are numerous benefits to them such as increased fat burning, improved digestion, anti-bacteria, anti-fungal etc.

For low temp cooking or salad dressing use olive oil; flaxseed oil is a good alternative to the salad dressing.

I agree 100% with the coconut cooking oil, yet some medium temp cooking with olive oil is just as good. extra virgin coconut oil is a crock of ****, one should just look for "virgin" coconut oil. The other stuff marked up "extra virgin" is not any better and is usually pricier.

Macadamia nut oil is another good one. Hell Kailex don't even hesitate to drop a tablespoon or two of olive oil/macadamia nut oil in a protein shake here or there through out the day.

Are you familiar with Metabolic Typing? Its an EXCELLENT philosophy and can really help you take your fitness and body to the next level. I won't bore you with the details but the premise of this theory and way of eating is that each individual is remarkably different in the way they assimilate nutrition from different foods. For example, a sweet potato, known as a excellent complex carb and beneficial for energy may not do well in your system, while someone else might thrive on it. Find out what type you are: Protein, Carb, or Mixed and eat for the way you were designed if that makes sense. There's a lot more to it than this, but I think it can really help you and many others. Put it this way, when you go shopping for clothes you buy the ones that fit you, in this example eating should be the same way. In my opinion after years in exercise and nutrition there's no cookie cutter formula that will work for every single person. Yes low carb, high protein for fat loss, high calorie and protein for weight and muscle gain work, BUT if you eat for your Metabolic Type it will take your performance to the next level. If your interested in this I can send you more info.

Agree there's no cookie cutter diet/training method. I can get away with eating a **** load of carbs, most can't or can only eat moderate amounts.

I think a good starting point for most is, moderate amount of carbs for breakfast, good load before training and just protein+fat meals for the rest of the day. Especially if close to bed time. After training your body has a huge window for many, many hours to take in carbs. So before training and earlier in the day is when one should load quite a bit. If you sit on your ass all day at work one should have common sense and do some trial and error with carbs/calories.

Couple other random thoughts from things I noticed while reading replies and your post:

-Almonds are not a nut, they belong to the genus prunus, which includes apricots, cherries, peaches and plums. Chances are your not allergic or sensitive to almonds, even if you have nut allergies. If you've noticed you still react poorly to almonds, then definitely avoid them. A good alternative are pumpkin seeds; great source of protein and high in beneficial omega fats.

-Speaking of omega fats I know your taking fish oil capsules; I'm a big fan of Cod Liver Oil, yes the actual oil. Garden of Life makes a lemon-mint flavored one called Icelandic Cod Liver Oil and its actually good! No I'm serious, no fish breath, no fish burps and is 10x higher in beneficial omega fats compared to a handful of fish oil pills. Not to mention many fish oil companies use cheap fillers like soybean oil which are $hit and degrade the quality of the supplement.

-I think Carlitos mentioned this too, but get a good unrefined ocean sea salt for your cooking. Sea salt is rich in trace minerals which are keep for activating your metabolism and helping fat loss.

yes sir, Redmond's or Celtic sea salt, two of the best on the market. Pickles are ok too.

-Definitely go low carb, but not Atkins or into keto. However I would keep carbs at a level that still gives you energy, but doesn't make you constantly feel full throughout the day; your goal should be to speed up that metabolism through eating every 2-3 hours on the dot!! This is crucial and I can't stress it enough when your trying to burn fat and build muscle. Secondly, increase your healthy fat intake the lower you go in carbs. What I suggest is going with a good macro-nutrient breakdown for fat loss (you'll have to play around with this and figure out what works for you) 45/25/30 or maybe 50/20/30; don't be afraid of the fat as long as its from healthy sources, increased fat intake will help your body to burn existing body fat. Those ratios represent protein, carbs and fat.

There's lots of different schools of thought, but just a couple of examples of what many people do. Some go very low carb through the week, eat most of their carbs in the morning and post workout, then have a carb load day on the weekend.

Others stick to a certain calorie, macro level, lets say 1800 calories a day and then drop calories slightly every other week to keep the body from getting use to your routine. Depending on how much cardio your doing and how intense your workouts are, you will want to monitor this closely so you don't drop your calories too low. I don't recommend going lower than 1,400 when trying to drop body fat.

Ugh I don't even think most people should go lower than 2000. I know girls who maintain or lose body fat in the mid to low 2000's!!!! The idea is to eat to maintenance calories to or just a tad under to still feed muscles/hold onto whatever you have and increase work/cardio/training sessions to turn you into a metabolic furnace that just burns fat day in day out, all day and night.

PIMP
Anyways ....just my 2 cents.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with most of what both of you have said with different views on the diet but that is to be expected also the weight regimen your trying to make him follow.

Going in at night then the morning the entire week is going to burn him out extremely fast and he will be overtraining in close to a month I bet and he will begin gaining weight as opposed to losing weight.

I'VE DONE 2adays and let me tell you once you hit week 3 you are dead so I dont think he should be doing his weight training the entire week.

3 a week is good if he wants I'd say on sunday/saturday let him go JUST for cardio but that's it......Once he gets to a moderate high weight for his squat going 4-5 a week will destroy him.

Also I wouldnt recommend him so much carbs, you already said you can handle them but you dont know his physiology and he might be sensitive to carbs....so I'd cut the oatmeal to a moderate amount.

I'd also have him check out carb cycling just because his body will be burning carbs as well as the fat he already has as energy.

Plus you bring up the whole comp where bodybuilders do 2adays to lose fat..yeah thats true but you only run 2a days for a month any longer and you overtrain.

IF he also doesnt like eggs I say get him on some whey shake in the morning, if he cant handle milk then change the protein source to gemma.

I would also suggest Leucine since that will help him lose weight while keeping most of his muscle....glutamine well I dont really believe it works since lots of people say it doesnt.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n24 said:
I agree with most of what both of you have said with different views on the diet but that is to be expected also the weight regimen your trying to make him follow.

Going in at night then the morning the entire week is going to burn him out extremely fast and he will be overtraining in close to a month I bet and he will begin gaining weight as opposed to losing weight.

There's something called common sense and none of us can tell him when he should take it easy only himself. I'm not going to tell him what to do or not do and put it in slate cause it's ones duties to test their own thresholds and see what they're truly capable of as far as work capacity/volume and as I suggested if he can train with weights 4-5 times a week + cardio and one of those days doing a circuit type routine, I don't see how this won't get him from point A to point B the best way.

I'VE DONE 2adays and let me tell you once you hit week 3 you are dead so I dont think he should be doing his weight training the entire week.

2 days off one day off is really that hard for most people? I don't understand....how it is, given you're eating adequately.

3 a week is good if he wants I'd say on sunday/saturday let him go JUST for cardio but that's it......Once he gets to a moderate high weight for his squat going 4-5 a week will destroy him.

What? who gets destroyed from sQuatting only two times a week? I want to know.

He's an average guy, not a pro bodybuilder/veteran powerlifter. Being way too easy on him

Also I wouldnt recommend him so much carbs, you already said you can handle them but you dont know his physiology and he might be sensitive to carbs....so I'd cut the oatmeal to a moderate amount.

He needs to just keep doing what he's doing, main thing avoiding lots of SUGAR.

I'd also have him check out carb cycling just because his body will be burning carbs as well as the fat he already has as energy.

good one.
Yes I'm a big fan of Shelby Sternes, carb cycling could do him very good.

Plus you bring up the whole comp where bodybuilders do 2adays to lose fat..yeah thats true but you only run 2a days for a month any longer and you overtrain.

Over train what? overtrain his CNS, his feet,? Getting a bit burnt out? a big maybe, yet most people have a problem which is eating equivalent to a pigeon, so one can always take an extra day or two off! so what? Over training is an easy word to throw around when one doesn't want to push themselves a few more times a week and when one only "assumes" another person is incapable .

IF he also doesnt like eggs I say get him on some whey shake in the morning, if he cant handle milk then change the protein source to gemma.

I would also suggest Leucine since that will help him lose weight while keeping most of his muscle....glutamine well I dont really believe it works since lots of people say it doesnt.
I'd say a good whey+casein (casein being slow digesting) shake is the best to keep hunger at bay and feed your body a nice steady stream of amino acids throughout the day.

yes I've heard from many people about dosing extra leucine and its great benefits.

dosing extra Glutamine = over rated in my opinion.

lol enjoying the discussion very much.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wait what the hell are you talking about??? I cant follow your bolded answers.

I said I've done 2 a days and then you say 2 days off 1 day off.....what?!? Do you know what 2 a days are? That's when you go twice in one day, so that's twice in one day for 3 days a week for 1 whole month. Then your doing squats 3 times a week and coming twice AM AND PM...yeah that will burn out a guy who doesnt even go to the gym right now.

Then I say he should just do a 3 day split and you say he would get destroyed from squatting only twice a week? Wahh......

I cant understand if you know what your talking about or not because you seem to be confused with routines or I suppose the 2 a day and 3 a week split.

I also dont agree with the carbs being so high either, the guy is trying to lose and is going to keep his HIGH carb diet?! That's asinine to say the least which he even states he hasnt lost more then a FEW pounds lately...well I guess I wouldnt think about cutting out the PURE CARBS that is oatmeal.

a 3 day split would be ideal or him going overboard will just burn him out faster which makes no sense. I dont know his routine or if he's going for strength or size but if he is going to do strength then I would think he would do the 5x5 beginner and be squatting every time he goes.

So that means he's going to squat 3 times a week while SIMELTANIOUSLY adding 5lbs every time he goes to squat....so lets say he starts at 50lbs ...that means he adds 10-15lbs a week to his squat ONLY going 3 days a week. That is no easy task to keep adding weight every time he goes to the gym.

Your saying to go 5 times a week...that means IF he does the above routine that would massive overtraining and he would be burned in half a year.

I will say that since he is barely starting out and IF he sticks with it he would get massive gains just because he's a beginner but once he passes a point and he is going the whole week he will begin to be burned out but that's my opinion.

You also cant go wrong with too much Leucine....I've also heard good things with caffeine to raise your metabolism but I never really liked caffeine just because your body becomes use to it and it takes higher doses just to feel anything after awhile.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
j0n24 said:
Wait what the hell are you talking about??? I cant follow your bolded answers.

I said I've done 2 a days and then you say 2 days off 1 day off.....what?!? Do you know what 2 a days are? That's when you go twice in one day, so that's twice in one day for 3 days a week for 1 whole month. Then your doing squats 3 times a week and coming twice AM AND PM...yeah that will burn out a guy who doesnt even go to the gym right now.

2 days on 1 day off is what I pretty much do right now and is a good frequency for most . muscle groups are to be hit hard twice a week. Yeah he can squat 3 times a week and watch his legs grow out of proportion to his upper body. Your back and legs are the biggest muscle groups in your body. It would be smart to give them their own day beginner or not. Strong legs and a strong back are keys to a bigger bench press.

for instance I'm doing

chest/bis/tris
legs
off
shoulders/back
off

on my day off I could just hit chest than go in 6 hours later and do bi/tris
next day legs
off
do the same thing with shoulders
than do back 6 hours later
off

each time he goes it shouldn't take longer than 40 minutes. except for legs or back maybe.

See? That's how one should go about doing two a days, most don't have flexible time like that, yet if I could I'd do it all the time.

Then I say he should just do a 3 day split and you say he would get destroyed from squatting only twice a week? Wahh......

I cant understand if you know what your talking about or not because you seem to be confused with routines or I suppose the 2 a day and 3 a week split.

I also dont agree with the carbs being so high either, the guy is trying to lose and is going to keep his HIGH carb diet?! That's asinine to say the least which he even states he hasnt lost more then a FEW pounds lately...well I guess I wouldnt think about cutting out the PURE CARBS that is oatmeal.

a 3 day split would be ideal or him going overboard will just burn him out faster which makes no sense. I dont know his routine or if he's going for strength or size but if he is going to do strength then I would think he would do the 5x5 beginner and be squatting every time he goes.

He's going for fat loss, he just needs to stay on top of his diet, cardio and weight training is all. Hence a 2 day on 1 day off being easy for him.

So that means he's going to squat 3 times a week while SIMELTANIOUSLY adding 5lbs every time he goes to squat....so lets say he starts at 50lbs ...that means he adds 10-15lbs a week to his squat ONLY going 3 days a week. That is no easy task to keep adding weight every time he goes to the gym.

Your saying to go 5 times a week...that means IF he does the above routine that would massive overtraining and he would be burned in half a year.

Who says one has to squat 3 times a week every week? my guys and me hit legs twice a week sometimes 3 when we're in the mood/feel recovered. Go train legs with a serious bodybuilder and tell me you want to train that way 3 times a week, heh you wont want to! legs need lots of volume to build them up nicely, hence I give them their own damn day twice a week and that's it.

I will say that since he is barely starting out and IF he sticks with it he would get massive gains just because he's a beginner but once he passes a point and he is going the whole week he will begin to be burned out but that's my opinion.

A beginner will make gains on anything given he eats enough. As long as one balances their pulling and pushing and at least hits their legs seriously twice a week, most will be fine. I'm just trying to help the guy look ****in' awesome naked is all. I look at weight training as a sort of art! Dumbells,barbells and machines are the tools. The intensity and sweat are signs of passion. When exercises are performed, the reps are the brush strokes put into the hard work of sculpting ones body to a certain vision they wish to meet or exceed.

You also cant go wrong with too much Leucine....I've also heard good things with caffeine to raise your metabolism but I never really liked caffeine just because your body becomes use to it and it takes higher doses just to feel anything after awhile.
caffeine is great, great for pre workout as it gets you focused and your metabolism revving..prefer to get it from green tea though.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So it isnt the advice we are having problems with its the routine's. I have never tried a 2 day on 1 day off before...only a 3 day split mon/wed/friday with a 2 a day 3 a week split for a month.

I also decided to go back to the beginner routine and follow that since I thought it was good to go back to basics...also squats dont just grow your legs its a full body exercise so I WONT get out of proportion.

I also dont agree with lots of volume for legs unless your talking about hypertrophy...I'm talking about usable strength which MIGHT be why we are thinking different things...but I will agree that calves do need lots of stimuli.

Gree tea is good..I need to get some also have you tried caffeine pills? They are the best bang for your buck without having all that filler crapp although you have to be careful with the dosage and not going overboard.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To answer the question above:

My goal is to end up in the vicinity of 165-170.
When I was younger, I played soccer, so my lower body has always been mostly muscle, and not fat. At 155 (apparently my ideal weight), I look malnourished.

165 would be ideal for me.
My problem is that ALL of my excess weight is located in ONE area: My gut.

My arms aren't thick, nor are my legs. It's all concentrated in one area.

Before the injury, I was doing 30 minute walks in the morning, hitting the gym at night. By next week, I should be back on track with that.
What I have been doing lately is learning how to eat, learning how to cook a healthier way and the payoffs are beginning to show up. I can now go to dinner at restaurants as well and NOT gorge myself with whatever looks great. I'd rather indulge in the grilled chicken with veggies instead now. I've acquired a great taste for it.

Unfortunately, almonds also do me in. I can't really put them down. Such is my problem with bananas as well.

I know people have referred to various nut products, unfortunately, I cannot benefit from them, because they'd kill me.

My biggest challenge so far has been to turn down people at the workplace offering CRAP to eat while I sit down all day. I had NO idea how much junk people put into their body in a day until I started visiting this forum.

I've sucked it up and now eat eggs, even though I didn't use to like them. Now they are a regular part of my morning diet.

So as of right now, my primary target is to BURN, BURN, BURN. I NEED to lose this gut, and I know it's not a short-term project, but something I am doing for the rest of my life. I've changed my eating habits, now I just need to hit the gym.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was once in your situation.

The way I had some success was through getting on an intense strength training program and a mixture of sprinting and jogging for cardio.

Eat like a horse.

I was once 160lbs and kind of skinny and fat at the same time.

Now I'm 196lbs and not fat by any means (I was last year, but have shed it while maintaining weight).

Trying to lose bodyfat at 160lbs is a waste of energy and time.

Your legs don't get very muscular from soccer. You likely have little fat storage in your legs(like me) so your legs are average size and lean, making them appear more muscular. Kicking a ball around a field and running after it doesn't induce size like loading 3x bodyweight onto a bar and deep-squatting it does.