Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gaining weight while on Keto?

RobertDowneyJr

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been in a ketogenic diet (no carbs, or very few like less than 20g) to get ripped for the summer. I did weigh 214, And with the fat loss im at 204 in about a period of 3 weeks. (I lose and gain weight really fast)

I'm 17 years old and about 6 foot 4.

No carbs just makes me feel better and feel a better brain function over all. I was just wondering if you could gain weight without carbs.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trying to bulk on a keto diet is a really dumb idea. You need a calorie surplus to gain mass of any kind (fat or muscle). If running keto, theoretically these excess calories are going to come from fat. Excess fat consumption GETS STORED AS FAT. Fat does not support intense training or refill glycogen, carbohydrates do. Insulin is anabolic (creation of tissue) being in ketosis is catabolic (tissue breakdown).

I think the best bet for your situation would be a targeted ketogenic diet. This is where you only consume carbs around training (pre & post workout). The rest of the time is keto. 1-3g of carbs per lb of lean body mass around training should be sufficient if you are trying to gain, and if you don't want to do a full blown bulk. Track your scale weight every 2 weeks or so, if you're not gaining, up the carbs.

Last edited:

RobertDowneyJr

Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
Trying to bulk on a keto diet is a really dumb idea. You need a calorie surplus to gain mass of any kind (fat or muscle). If running keto, theoretically these excess calories are going to come from fat. Excess fat consumption GETS STORED AS FAT. Fat does not support intense training or refill glycogen, carbohydrates do. Insulin is anabolic (creation of tissue) being in ketosis is catabolic (tissue breakdown).

I think the best bet for your situation would be a targeted ketogenic diet. This is where you only consume carbs around training (pre & post workout). The rest of the time is keto. 1-3g of carbs per lb of lean body mass around training should be sufficient if you are trying to gain, and if you don't want to do a full blown bulk. Track your scale weight every 2 weeks or so, if you're not gaining, up the carbs.
Thank you, I'm actually going to do this now. That was very informative. What kind of carbs? As in just any carbs, (Like if I wanted to just eat some bread) or does it need to be low glycemic types like those found in broccoli and other vegetables?

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just had a quick look at the nutritional information of broccoli. If you were to eat 500g of cooked broccoli, you would only get 2g of starchy carbohydrates from it, and about 19g of fibre. You would get more protein out of that amount (23g).

The type of foods you get your carbs from doesn't really matter, provided that they are starchy carbs (which can be absorbed by your muscles). Whether it's bread, rice, pasta, potato, oats, cereal etc. But whole foods (ie. potato) are more satiating (make you feel more full), and will keep you feeling full for longer. Whereas if you were to eat the same amount of carbohydrates from say cereal, the amount of food you need to eat will be less, and it's GI is higher, so you will be hungry after a shorter period of time.

Try to get the majority from whole foods (as they have vitamins and minerals as well), but don't be afraid to eat some "junk" food as well to satisfy any cravings that you may have.

Try not to worry too much about GI rating. Honestly, the only people that should be concerned with GI ratings are diabetics, and bodybuilders that use insulin + HGH.