Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Never really thought about style until now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I never was much of a person for style or fashion. I really dont care about it. I just tried to make sure my clothing fit, and ran with it.

That has all changed.

I dont know if you guys remember my post awhile back where I said I thought I had found a good one, catching her was easy...now what? Things are going great, thanks for asking. Still have plates, but they dont get a lot of time anymore.

Anyway, one day my .... main plate....whatever she is....asked if she could style me. After clarifying that this was not some strange sex thing involving my butthole, I acquiesced with the caveat that id wipe my ass with them if she brought in a pair of skinny jeans. She is in marketting, and wanted me to have my own "brand." She calls it "the most interesting man in the world." She then went on a thrift store shopping spree for me. Shoes, boots, coats, hats, shirts, pants etc. She probably spent around 250.00 and threw together this..... wardrobe. Sport coats, scarves, and drivers caps, over tshirts or button downs and jeans. Things like that. She even styled my beard and moustache. I went from lumberjack, to trimmed handlebar and full beard. I smoke a pipe, she found me a really cool looking one. (*more on this later) At first I felt it was a bit over the top. It wasnt until we went out, that I finally realized the value.

That value was? Women really love style. I always knew it, but never bothered with it. I have no idea how many women came up to me out of the blue and complimented the look. "I love the moustache!" "Those boots are so great!" "this thing you jhave going one ..... it works!" It was literally nonstop the first night and has been ever since.

*If you smoke, consider a pipe. The tobacco smells good. So many women come up and tell me how delicious my pipe smoke smells.*

In summation. Style helps...a lot. If I had known how much, I'd have paid someone to do this for me years ago.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
every time i make a post like this on this forum i get called a faggot for being into clothes. a well put together dude that stays in shape will never have a problem attracting good looking women. it's that simple.

if the guys here spent half the time they do *****ing, learning how to dress they wouldn't be here. we seriously need a style section of this forum

Vigs

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol. I wouldnt know one brand name from another. It is definitly not a shiny polished look. More like a 1920s pugelist meets hipster meets wartime photographer. Anyway. Folks can take this advice or leave it. I got women without fashion, and Im sure they do too. I just wish I had this bit of help earlier in my hunting.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Style is great... your own, not letting a woman make you over IME. Fell for this a couple times in the past, was always the beginning of the end, and also the beginning of lots of annoying "well now, she's got you all wrapped up, don't she?" comments from the peanut gallery.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dasein said:
Style is great... your own, not letting a woman make you over IME. Fell for this a couple times in the past, was always the beginning of the end, and also the beginning of lots of annoying "well now, she's got you all wrapped up, don't she?" comments from the peanut gallery.
Whether it was a chick who helped him, or a dude, or the queer eyes for the straight guy gang, who gives a fvck? It helped him.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
a well put together dude that stays in shape will never have a problem attracting good looking women. it's that simple.

if the guys here spent half the time they do *****ing, learning how to dress they wouldn't be here. we seriously need a style section of this forum
Agreed. This place could use a style section, with a separate section for the MM. Because some of us deadlift and would look stupid in skinny jeans.

I went to Nordstrom for a makeover a few years ago, which involved biting the bullet to spend about $2500, then finding a salesman with a style I liked and spending an afternoon letting him teach me how to dress. Ever since I walked out of that store, people have been calling me "sir." Absolute, 100% turning point.

Again: nice clothes attract women. If you're attracting them, you don't have to drive yourself insane chasing them.

dangdang

Don Juan
Reaction score
I need help with this. Where's a good place to start without breaking the bank?

CrimsonPanther

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
we seriously need a style section of this forum
+1 i support this idea. it should include topics about dressing style, grooming, perfumes, accessories etc.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
every time i make a post like this on this forum i get called a faggot for being into clothes. a well put together dude that stays in shape will never have a problem attracting good looking women. it's that simple.

Any man who equates style with homosexuality is parroting modern feminist homophobia, the kind that shames men for taking care of themselves, being clean, and (gasp!) having close nonsexual relationships with other men. It's the same toilet that spat up words like "metrosexual" and "bromance" and "man crush." I have no patience for it any more.

Style is a big tool in the toolbox. The great thing is a man can embrace different types. I'm a blazer and loafers guy myself. You don't have to break the bank either - check out your neighborhood thrift stores (especially located near well-to-do neighborhoods), Burlington Coat Factory, DSW, etc. People don't pay as much attention to "brand names" as you think.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
dangdang said:
I need help with this. Where's a good place to start without breaking the bank?
It depends on your style. Ask Men has a pretty good grasp of basic concepts. But you're not going to go to, say, the Brooks Brothers blog if your thing is recent-flood-victim hipster chic.

It never hurts to approach someone who's really put together well and ask him, outright, who his tailor is and where he shops. Most guys who put effort into their clothes appreciate it when you ask and they're happy to help.

I buy a lot of my stuff at outlets, now, and also online. Sierra Trading Post is awesome for classic menswear.

The big thing for me was the initial lesson in dressing myself well. I have a definite look that I've cultivated and I know what I like and where to find it cheap. I'm not a daring dresser; I have ten pairs of identical gray flannel trousers and at least as many each matching white and blue shirts and half a dozen black polo shirts. I have a lot of other stuff, too, of course, but this is most of it. When I find something that fits, that's on sale, I buy several.

The biggest thing is fit. Fit, fit, fit. Get a good tailor. Get everything that you ever wear altered. It costs about $20 per article. Pants tightened across the seat, legs slimmed, and break perfected. Sleeves tightened, darts in your shirts if you're fit. Or -- in my case -- find a shirt (and jeans!) manufacturer whose idea of "fitted" or "slim fit" or whatever fits you perfectly, and then stick with them. Do not, ever, buy something that doesn't fit in the hopes that you'll grow into it or diet down to it. Going up a waist size can make you look ten pounds slimmer. This is 90% of dressing well.

A quick search for "tailored vs. untailored" returns this:

http://cdn.styleforum.net/0/0d/0d6aa34e_Before-and-After-Alfani-Red.jpeg

Looks like he had his trousers slimmed and his shirt taken in at the waist, as well as having his sleeves reduced.

You could shop at thrift stores -- once you knew what you were looking for -- and get things tailored well and probably rock it on the cheap.

No square toed shoes. Ever.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
seriously, i get about... at least 25-30% of my clothes from thrift stores / consignment stores. Buy it, send it to the cleaners, it's good as new. at our new years party I had on a plaid button down shirt with a orange vest over it and some blue jeans, i got the entire outfit at a consignment store for about 25 dollars.

making sure your clothes FIT is the most important thing

the only thing that I buy new all the time are shoes. I have one pair of spurry's I bought at a consignment store because they looked good as new but shoes are something I don't play around with.

I'm a member of styleforum.net and it's a really good resource to learn your stuff.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd recommend subscribing to a magazine like GQ. Definitely about style and tips on how to wear certain things.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
trent_afc said:
I will never understand anyone over the age of 30 who wears:

- skinny jeans
- square-toed shoes (not chisel-points; I mean the square-toed Oxford popularized by Kenneth Cole, and its cousins in hell)
- suede slip-on shoes -- Merrell "Jungle Mocs" or the $20 drugstore knock-off
- athletic shoes with jeans or khakis
- a hoodie pulled over your head (unless you're dodging hail the size of testicles)
- track suits anyplace but the gym (unless you're a Russian mob enforcer)
- digital watches
- TAPOUT or Ed Hardy anything

These things look ridiculous on anyone over 22. They are retarded on anyone over 30. Girls see a grown man who can't dress himself and they think either A.) he's a retard; or B.) he can't face the fact that he's getting older.

Bonus loser points if you're super-fit and don't know how to dress.

Girls like clothes. Girls like a man who knows clothes.

Tailored clothes do for a man what lingerie does for a woman. Accentuates, slims, shapes, draws the eye. The right collar can make your jaw look stronger. The right cuff and break can make you look taller. The right size and length of lapel can make your shoulders look larger and your waist and gut slimmer. Expensive shoes make your feet look sleeker and they literally, no ****, tell a woman how much you make, what you do, and what kind of care you take of the things that matter in your life. Plus, your feet will never hurt.

Quality clothing has a drape, a heft, and a luster that women can see. Once you understand what to look for, you'll see what they see, too.

A guy in a fitted jacket and fitted trousers, with what one of my younger FB's calls "man shoes" (Cole Haan or better, because **** Aldo), will look more physically fit than a man who works out twice as hard but buys off-the-rack at Target. That is a hard and unpleasant fact but it's one reason I am currently nailing women nearly 20 years younger than me.

Clothing is not enough.
Fitness is not enough.
Money is not enough.
Hygiene is not enough.
A sense of humor is not enough.
Confidence is not enough.
A nice car is not enough.
A true backstory is not enough. (Emphasis on "true." She will find out if you're not really a former MMA fighter turned rocket scientist.)
A nice house is not enough.
A job she can brag about ("I'm dating a {whatever}") is not enough.

After 40, guys, it's all or nothing. Having the whole package makes the difference between chasing women and attracting them.

If you're in your 30's or 40's and you can't afford clothing that fits, and you have roommates, and you're driving a ten-year-old Elantra; I know life is tough. The world sucks right now. But if you want to be competitive, you have to show the female of the species that you have fought the big bad world and carved out a corner for yourself. You don't have to be rich; you just have to be your own man and be on top of everything that's trying to crush you.

Younger men have the advantage, here -- they have the luxury of having not yet been in the fight, so they can convince the females that they have potential. Your potential is gone. You are in the ring right now, and most of you are getting your ***es handed to you. Forget about getting laid for a couple of years and buckle down and get it together.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pierce_r said:

- skinny jeans
- square-toed shoes (not chisel-points; I mean the square-toed Oxford popularized by Kenneth Cole, and its cousins in hell)
- a hoodie pulled over your head (unless you're dodging hail the size of testicles)
- digital watches

These things look ridiculous on anyone over 22. They are retarded on anyone over 30. Girls see a grown man who can't dress himself and they think either A.) he's a retard; or B.) he can't face the fact that he's getting older.

Tailored clothes do for a man what lingerie does for a woman. Accentuates, slims, shapes, draws the eye. The right collar can make your jaw look stronger. The right cuff and break can make you look taller. The right size and length of lapel can make your shoulders look larger and your waist and gut slimmer. Expensive shoes make your feet look sleeker and they literally, no ****, tell a woman how much you make, what you do, and what kind of care you take of the things that matter in your life. Plus, your feet will never hurt.

Quality clothing has a drape, a heft, and a luster that women can see. Once you understand what to look for, you'll see what they see, too.

A guy in a fitted jacket and fitted trousers, with what one of my younger FB's calls "man shoes" (Cole Haan or better, because **** Aldo), will look more physically fit than a man who works out twice as hard but buys off-the-rack at Target. That is a hard and unpleasant fact but it's one reason I am currently nailing women nearly 20 years younger than me.

Clothing is not enough.
Fitness is not enough.
Money is not enough.
Hygiene is not enough.
A true backstory is not enough. (Emphasis on "true." She will find out if you're not really a former MMA fighter turned rocket scientist.)

After 40, guys, it's all or nothing. Having the whole package makes the difference between chasing women and attracting them.

If you're in your 30's or 40's and you can't afford clothing that fits, and you have roommates, and you're driving a ten-year-old Elantra; I know life is tough. The world sucks right now. But if you want to be competitive, you have to show the female of the species that you have fought the big bad world and carved out a corner for yourself. You don't have to be rich; you just have to be your own man and be on top of everything that's trying to crush you.

Younger men have the advantage, here -- they have the luxury of having not yet been in the fight, so they can convince the females that they have potential. Your potential is gone. You are in the ring right now, and most of you are getting your ***es handed to you. Forget about getting laid for a couple of years and buckle down and get it together.

Well then, time to go my own way because I'm approaching 40 and have none of those things besides hygiene and rapier wit. Then again I've been retired from the game for a while now and it's been pretty nice so far. All I care about is doing the few things I want to do before I leave this world. Thankfully women aren't involved in any of them and I can wear what I like whilst doing them.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pierce_r said:
No square toed shoes. Ever.
See that is what I love about this site. My loafers are sorta squared (not boxy). Time to update.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pierce_r said:

- skinny jeans
- digital watches

Clothing is not enough.
Fitness is not enough.
Money is not enough.
Hygiene is not enough.

i probably make more money than anyone in this thread and even i think this is a little over the top telling a guy he has to be well off financially to sniff ***** is absurd.

when i was single i drove around my knockaorund 8-10 year old lexus sc300 and never had a problem with dates.

i agree with you on the clothes though just saying, you're too far out there

the avg man's problem is very simple; he's petrifed of women and won't talk to them.

the vast majority of guys on this site could get laid, consistently if they would just talk to women and go to the gym. beign able to dress my ass off lol just makes it easier.

my dad right now is 53 years old and is literally living with his best friend because he's going through a divorce and is dating 35-40 year old good looking women. not the quality of say my wife, but still. stop making the game like some 12 test of time bull****

with all that said

Forget about getting laid for a couple of years and buckle down and get it together.
this is money. those 3 years i put women off was the best thing i ever did game wise.

pierce_r

Don Juan
Reaction score
dangdang said:
I wear Kenneth Cole square toed... Wtf is wrong with them?
Besides being cheap, ugly, poorly-built, designed to wear out quickly, and the universal symbol to women that you have no idea how to actually dress, nothing.

So you throw down $200 for a pair of Kenneth Coles. With heavy use they might last you a year or two, because they have rubber soles and they're glued together. More on that in a minute.

A few things. Let's talk toes.

First off, your feet are not square. Grown-up shoes -- Alden, Allen Edmonds, Peal, Bergdorf, Paul Stuart -- are built on different types of lasts. The last is the part under the footpad and above the sole. Fine shoe manufacturers build different models on different lasts because people have different toe shapes. When you find a last that fits your foot, it will change your life.

Square-toed shoes were developed so that shoe manufacturers didn't have to build on multiple lasts. As a result, they don't fit anybody as well as a properly-lasted shoe will. This is why your feet hurt after standing all day and mine don't.

Secondly, grown-up shoes are welted. This means the soles are stitched to the last instead of glued. Because of this, they can be resoled after a year or two, for about $20. Also, the heels are nailed on. New heels cost about $10. The entire shoe can be dismantled after 10 years and the leather can be re-stretched, making it look practically brand new again. Also, since the leather is of a much finer quality, they will develop a patina as they age, looking better every year instead of cracking and wearing out. Your $300-500 grown-up shoe can, literally, last you for your entire working life, during which it will form itself to your foot with the suppleness of a broken-in baseball glove and look amazing. All this for the same price as two pairs of cheap shoes that you have to throw away every couple of years and that hurt your feet anyway.

Most square-toed shoes are cheap, and deservedly so. Kenneth Cole is odious because they charge almost as much for glued-sole square-toed one-last shoes as many handmade shoe manufacturers charge. And they still look cheap. I picked up a pair of Alden wingtips in my favorite last at Nordstrom Rack a few weeks ago for $150.

Square toed shoes show anyone who knows about shoes -- and all girls do -- that you don't know anything about shoes other than maybe "black shoes = dress shoes." Square toed shoes are part of the dress uniform of a twelve-year-old at a wedding, as well as the universal sign in the business world that you just got your first-ever job that requires a tie.

That's wtf is wrong with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.