Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Looking to invest $10,000 in stocks.

Çharismo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The title basically says it all. I've been reading and doing a little bit of research and most of all talking to a couple of people that have invested in the stock market. I'm not looking for short-term gains but rather long term. Buy & hold basically and yes I already know that if I'm looking to invest that much I have to be willing to lose it as well.

Anyone got and tips or advice they can share before I take the plunge??!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stay away from penny stocks. That means not listed on an exchange like NYSE or NASDAQ.

A friend of mine did very well picking out $5-10 stocks that had just hit 52-week highs, but when looking at a 2-3 year chart, used to be much higher. I used to day trade off a 52-week high ticker. All the stocks that are really taking off are going to be on that list. But it's a long list, so it's just a starting point.

Study the charts of each sector. If one sector is outperforming, stocks from it are a good bet. Other than that, I don't give a sh!t what the company does. I don't read financial statements. Unless you're an insider, anything you can learn about the stock is already factored into the current price.

If you want to be a trader, you need to understand the idea of taking short positions. We're in a bull market now, but when things turn around, you can make just as much money when everything is tanking. Sticking to long positions to start is fine; just understand shorting. Instead of 52-week highs, you'll want to look at a list of 52-week lows.

And I know you said stocks, but you might want to take a look at the e-mini s&p futures. They are very liquid, and it's a common way for guys to trade a small account.

Here are some links for you:
http://www.elitetrader.com/
http://www.siliconinvestor.com/
http://www.hardrightedge.com/ I am anti-guru by nature, but Alan is the real deal. He helped me a lot in the late 90's, and he is still going strong as a trader. Most traders from that time are not still trading.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're looking to buy and hold, to get something long term without paying a lot of attention to it, index funds are often recommended. Something like a Vanguard index fund would have low fees. That would make a good base for your investments also, if you are looking to get more into trading later.

It's good you're looking to get involved while you're still young.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buy index puts, puts, puts ... Buy it now!

Çharismo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So far so good!!!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Yea I want to start while time is still on my side so even if I lose this money I still have a chance to bounce back later on. My plan is to buy at least 10 stocks from at least 10 different companies and slowly build up my portfolio over time. 2 companies that I have decided on so far is Apple and Johnson & Johnson. I opened an account with E*Trade which is an online discount broker. After researching it's one of the best platforms for beginners. I have been playing around with the software before I buy any stocks. I even called the customer service just to see how it is and it's pretty solid. The people know what they are talking about. I'm still learning a couple of things like P/E ratio (price to earnings ratio), dividends, yields etc.

My plan is to have at least a million in my account by the time I'm 60 or even before it.:cheer:

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Study the technicals more than the fundamentals. Track the support and resistance levels, and buy into support and sell into resistance. For example Apple's support is 124 and resistance is 132. When Apple hit 125 this past Thursday, I went in heavy and long at this price. And will sell in the 130s.

Fundamentals come into play for long term positions. As an example, Apple pummeled earnings estimates this past Monday, so you know in the short term absent a market crash, Apple will break all-time highs and likely trade to 140+ in the next six months.

Most importantly, if you are taking long positions for stock appreciation, educate yourself about buying out-of-the-money puts to hedge your long position. Puts act as an insurance policy should a given stock work against you. ALWAYS include puts in your investment portfolio to hedge. You will lose some capital appreciation as a result of buying puts but long-term you will be way ahead of the market as you will not be taking losses.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sold Apple calls today at stock price $130; bought at $125 on Thursday. Apple will probably trend lower with the market over the next several days in anticipation of the job report on Friday. Will buy naked calls when the stock trends back down to 125-126.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Çharismo said:
The title basically says it all. I've been reading and doing a little bit of research and most of all talking to a couple of people that have invested in the stock market. I'm not looking for short-term gains but rather long term. Buy & hold basically and yes I already know that if I'm looking to invest that much I have to be willing to lose it as well.

With Stocks you have two directional choices:

1.) You become the expert and manage your trades.

2.) You put your money into a mutual fund and allow someone else that's more of an expert than you manage your trades.

Now, in terms of actual strategies, if you are looking at buying and holding, you might as well get a decent mutual fund that's going to diversify that across Blue Chip Stocks, Growth Stocks, International Stocks, AAA/BBB Corporate Bonds, and Muni Bonds.

Me personally, I am not a Stock or Real Estate guy, I know that goes against all conventional investment gurus with Stocks and Real Estate usually being at the top of the preferred investments list.

I don't like them because their value is mainly tied to capital/asset appreciation, and that appreciation is pretty much out of my control.

I prefer to invest in Businesses and Bonds.

- Operating your own business, as long as you run it efficiently, is going to produce the HIGHEST amount of profits between any of the investment classes. I call it "investing in yourself". So you have $10,000 and let's say you create a business with that and turn that $10,000 investment into $40,000 in revenue within one year. That's a $30,000 profit or a 300% return. There is NO STOCK nor Real Estate property that will ever produce those returns.

- With Bonds you are loaning money to a Corporation, the Government or a Bank. I include Banks because I consider CDs as a form of a Bond because it all works the same way. You are going to loan the entity $10,000 for let's say 10 years and they are going to pay you let's say an interest rate of 2.5% on the low end, to about 10% on the high end, every year for the duration of the term. So let's say you have a Bond that's 5 years that will pay you 6% per year. You put your $10,000 in there and in 5 years at the 6% rate, your $10,000 is now worth $13,382. You can have the option to trade your Bond during the term, or you can decide to just HOLD it until maturity. You would seek to trade your Bond if you are holding one for 6% and there's similar Bonds on the market going for 9%. Using a Bond Ladder (where you buy different individual bonds with different maturity dates) allows you to take advantage of increasing Bond rates.

Tenacity

Banned
Reaction score
Espi said:
How long is "long term" for you?
10k isn't worth the risk in my opinion, even if you are 29.
Whole life insurance with an A Rated company...builds cash value over time...is creditor proof...and your beneficiary(s) get the money tax free if you die.

Or a long-term fixed-index annuity with an inflation rider. With an A rated company of course.
Personally, I would not utilize life insurance as an investment, but only buy term and invest the difference. Furthermore, only buy term if you have children, if you don't have dependents you shouldn't need life insurance at all. When you buy term you can utilize a return of premium rider onto the policy so if you don't die within the policy, they will return every dime you paid back to you.

Here's why you shouldn't use it as an investment though. Usually there's various fees in the policy that make the returns minimal. To make it work, you are usually going to have to utilize a ton of individual riders tacked onto the policy that really make it into something totally different than what's bought off the shelf. In addition, you might have to LOAD the policy at the very beginning for a couple of years before you are eventually able to utilize any true loans or returns.

There are large corporations and entities that use life insurance as an investment but they are again, not using it off the shelf, it's a totally restructured situation. Unless you are a large entity, I wouldn't use life insurance as an investment.

With Annuities, I think you have again, better options such as a generic CD. Not only do you get more protection (Annuities are protected using State Insurance Guaranty Associations up to about $100k) through the FDIC $250k, but you have less fees in general and the fixed rates are relatively the same as CD rates. Some people utilize Variable Annuities and I'm like, why not just buy a Mutual Fund?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As anticipated, Apple back at 126 range today. Bought naked calls with SP at 126. Will sell at 130 next week.

Kids, don't do this at home.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sold naked calls today when Apple hit 128.75. Two Apple naked call trades since inception of this thread; up over 200% in Apple naked call plays alone (100% averaged each trade).

Two things will happen going forward. Apple will trade back down to 125, of which I will buy naked calls again--or--Apple will break to 133, of which I will buy naked puts.

Let's see how it plays out.

Georgey500

Reaction score
Does anyone know if xglobal markets are a decent broker. They claim to be ecn/stp. Specifically I want to know what their execution is like if anyone has experience.

DanXGLOBAL

Reaction score
Georgey500 said:
Does anyone know if xglobal markets are a decent broker. They claim to be ecn/stp. Specifically I want to know what their execution is like if anyone has experience.
Hello Georgey500,

I am an XGLOBAL Markets representative and I can confirm that our firm does offer pure ECN/STP execution (Market Execution in MT4).

Since this thread discusses stocks I want to mention that primarily we offer trading on FX and Precious Metals. On request we also offer CFDs on indices and commodities.

If you have any questions please let me know I would be happy to answer them.

Best regards,
Daniel Rees - XGLOBAL Markets official representative

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cost per contract/lot?

DanXGLOBAL said:
Hello Georgey500,

I am an XGLOBAL Markets representative and I can confirm that our firm does offer pure ECN/STP execution (Market Execution in MT4).

Since this thread discusses stocks I want to mention that primarily we offer trading on FX and Precious Metals. On request we also offer CFDs on indices and commodities.

If you have any questions please let me know I would be happy to answer them.

Best regards,
Daniel Rees - XGLOBAL Markets official representative

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why is it that newbie investors always PILE into Apple stock as their first choice?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vice said:
Why is it that newbie investors always PILE into Apple stock as their first choice?
1) It's a household name.
2) It's the world's largest company.
3) It will be the first stock in history to break the one-trillion dollar market cap.
4) It's one of the most volatile stocks on NDX.
5) It is alleged by most analysts to be one of the largest movers this year.
6) Its success is greatly attributed to Steve Jobs who is a Guru in many investors' eyes.
7) Who does not love Apple products?

That just about sums it up.

Intuition

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are willing to hold for the long term, put it into JNJ. If you want to lessen the risk somewhat, divide evenly into four large cap/blue chip dividend payers and use a Dividend Reinvestment Plan.

I would recommend the following four:

JNJ
PG
GIS
XOM

Dividend growth investing has the potential to beat Index investing. Nevertheless, an additional option is to put it all in a Vanguard US or World Index.

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apple went as high as 133, as expected. However, I did not purchase puts at the 133 price, as following a positive-earnings report, a stock has potential to break resistance levels and into new 52-week highs. Always better to buy at support levels with extremely fundamentally bullish stocks like Apple.

Apple back down to the 125 range. Bought APPL calls SP 125, July 2 15 @ $3.7. Will sell when Apple trades back to 130+ in the next two weeks.

Note:
My trading strategy generally does not include buying naked calls or puts as I have been outlining. I usually engage in complicated derivative instruments such as arbitraged iron condors and butterflies. However, I do allocate a small percentage of the portfolio toward riskier, naked strategies when the prices of the listed are opportune.

Caution: Do not buy naked calls or puts with monies that you cannot afford to lose, especially newbies. I make it look easy. However, I have over 20+ years of experience in the market having been in the profession myself.

Mr_Maximus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Çharismo said:

My first piece of advice is to use no leverage when making your investment. Leverage allows you to buy assets that are worth much more than the amount of money you have. it can magnify gains but it also increases the risk and probability of loss. Leave this for advanced / professional traders.

Read warren buffets book, 'the intelligent investor'.

If it is a long term investment then his approach to the stock market is probably the best one; value investing. The premise is simple, buy businesses (stock) at a price that is less than their intrinsic value.

Here is a simple example;

- Business abc has net assets of $1m, plus positive revenues and growth for the past 5 years. Its a great business with a nice profit margin and has good management in place.

- It has 100k shares outstanding.

Intrinsic value = $1m in net assets divided by 100k shares outstanding = approximately $10 per share.

If you can buy the stock below the intrinsic value, with a good margin for error, you have found a bargain and should make money from the deal. so if you can buy business abc for $7 per share or less, you should make money over the long term. Sell above or at intrinsic value.

Its like buying $1 for 70c.