Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Need some leg advice please

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I lurk this subforum here, but never post, thanks for all the great workout and diet tips, this is one of the best resources on the net for no nonsense men's health advice IMO. Due to a HS sports injury involving losing cartilage in my knees, the surgeon told me that it would not be good for me to do squats, lunges or deadlifts, esp as I aged, and to do leg extensions and curls instead. My parents both also have lousy knees as they age, mother with arthritis in knees to boot. Fast forward decades and now I am 50, have never had any knee issues since HS, but also have always followed the surgeon's prescription.

I'd really like to start doing some squats and at the very least moderate leg press, but am hesitant. I am interested in health and mild strength gains, not bb or competitive sports any more. At this point in my life, I value flexibility, balance, joints and health more than body aesthetics or size. My sensible head says "stick with what works and just do the extensions and curls, calf raises." My gym head says "you can probably do some squats or at least leg press with moderate weight with no prob if the form is correct and fluid instead of jerky."

Any thoughts? esp from anyone with such past knee injuries? Sorry so long for what is essentially a simple question.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but quad extensions are a hell of a lot more dangerous than the desired exercises you listed.

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your surgeon showed his ignorance but telling you that leg extensions were ok, but squats, lunges & deadlifts were not. Leg extensions put so much torque on your knee joint.

Get a competent trainer to teach you how to squat properly. If you stick to these main points, generally your squat form will be correct:

- Keep your chest up throughout the whole movement. You should only be bending your hips and knees.

- Keep heels flat on the ground at all times. If you can't do this, you probably have tight calves, which you need to stretch.

- Push your knees out as hard as you can before you descend (like you're trying to flash your d1ck). Let your knees track over your toes. It doesn't matter if your knees go forward a little bit, just as long as you keep them tracking over your toes.

- Breathe in deeply and hold it while you squat, exhale at the top, deep breath, squat.

- Brace your abs at all times!!

My cousin has no ACL in either knee, he squats. My dad has had both knees replaced due to his days playing soccer, he squats.

If it's not painful, do it. But give it a fair shot before you decide that it's too painful.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
Your surgeon showed his ignorance but telling you that leg extensions were ok, but squats, lunges & deadlifts were not. Leg extensions put so much torque on your knee joint.

Get a competent trainer to teach you how to squat properly. If you stick to these main points, generally your squat form will be correct:

- Keep your chest up throughout the whole movement. You should only be bending your hips and knees.

- Keep heels flat on the ground at all times. If you can't do this, you probably have tight calves, which you need to stretch.

- Push your knees out as hard as you can before you descend (like you're trying to flash your d1ck). Let your knees track over your toes. It doesn't matter if your knees go forward a little bit, just as long as you keep them tracking over your toes.

- Breathe in deeply and hold it while you squat, exhale at the top, deep breath, squat.

- Brace your abs at all times!!

My cousin has no ACL in either knee, he squats. My dad has had both knees replaced due to his days playing soccer, he squats.

If it's not painful, do it. But give it a fair shot before you decide that it's too painful.

Solid advice.