Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How can I increase my bicep size?

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My biceps are probably the most lacking area of me since I don't ever really do them.

I work all the other areas with squats, deadlifts, bench press, barbell rows, dumbell rows, pull ups, push ups, crunches etc.

Now I'd like to bring some bicep work in. What is the best way forward with this?

Are chin ups a good way of adding bicep mass? or barbell curls, or hammer curls?

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hit dumbbell curls and hammer curls at the start of your pull day(back and biceps for me)

then carry on with rows and deadlifts and your usual training after.

your biceps will be killing by the end of the workout but the direct work on them while your atp supplies are still fresh will encourage growth.

hammer curls hit the brachialis more, which will grow and push the bicep and triceps apart and give the appearance of bigger arms too.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Gain Weight, you need more overall mass to have bigger pipes.

2. Build your triceps, you need a foundation.

I also agree with pure, the compound movements your doing will aid to "bigger" biceps. Personally, I only do some type of curl once a week.

Jay kay

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lift heavy! Pick 3-4 of the following bicep exercises. Lift a weight you feel comfortable with. Take Creatine and eat a high protein diet and your well on your way.

Do each of the following exercises once or twice a week. eg Monday and Friday. Do them consistently for a couple of months and you will see the results. People give up because they expect to see results after 1 month. It doesn't work like that. Takes Time, effort and hard work to get good gains. But so long as you enjoy working out and aren't just doing it to get bigger guns you'll get there soon enough. Same goes for every body part you train in the gym.

1. Barbell Curls X 3 sets of 20kg-30kg - 10-12 Reps
2. Hammer Curls X 3 sets of 15kg-20kgs - 10-12 Reps
3 Preacher Curls X 3 sets of 10-15 kgs - 10-12 Reps
4. Cable curls X 3 sets of 10-15 kgs - 10-13 Reps

Also Isolation dumbell curls have given me great results over the years.

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Make sure you're not cheating with your reps
2. Do curls and hammer curls so you hit the whole area
3. Eat enough
4. Sleep enough

In other words the same thing as for any other muscle :)

I personally disagree with working out arms before doing big lifts because that could exhaust your grip and if your grip is weakened that's going to hinder your performance with the big lifts. I'd rather work my arms out after I'm done using them for support, but that's me.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eternal_water said:
Are chin ups a good way of adding bicep mass?
Absolutely. Biceps and back are my most developed body part, partly because my dad made me do chin-ups all the time when I was younger (along with other stuff). And they aren't massively out of proportion either like a bunch of douches you see out there who do nothing but curls.

In my experience, chin-ups/pull-ups and dips are the best upper body exercises you can do. You can probably have a very developed physique just doing those paired with squats and deadlifts.

demiwatkins

Reaction score
It's a thing that everyone wants. I feel big shoulders, traps & back are more impressive, but to each his own. Beginners need compound exercises to build overall muscle mass.