Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Rotator cuff injury?

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a slight injury when bench pressing a month or more back. It was shoulder soreness - exhausted. I had felt it before when doing dips to failure, etc. However, i further aggravated it more when i did DB flies and DB presses. I felt an enormous amount of pain and have been forced to do lighter weights, band exercises, etc for this whole month. Yesterday, i wanted to do pull-ups, even though my trainer prohibited it, because i didn't feel the workouts like i did before. I didn't feel the soreness the next day and i wasn't doing anything worthwhile. I did the pull-ups 2 sets of 12 and then the last set i managed to 10 before my right shoulder released a "cracking noise" as described by people around me. I woke up today and i realized i badly need to see an orthopedist. I can move it in any direction but with small jolts of pain. I haven't been able to sleep well because i can't turn on that side and have to keep it by my side to not feel any pain.

My trainer told me that the initial injury was the RC and thus suspended dips, push ups, pull ups and most exercises of shoulder and chest. Limited exercises on biceps, triceps and back. Thank god i can do legs just fine or i would be shattered.

Any input on all of this? I guess living by the sword and dying by the sword is a very real scenario for me.

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like a severe rotator injury. - I have had to adjust my lifts and training to accommodate a similar injury just not as severe.

My buddy had the exact same happen to him as you described, doing DB press and *PING* and now he's undergone 2 surgerys. He had to get shiit pinned back together in his shoulder.

Get that scanned and dealt with fast man.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Purefilth said:
Sounds like a severe rotator injury. - I have had to adjust my lifts and training to accommodate a similar injury just not as severe.

My buddy had the exact same happen to him as you described, doing DB press and *PING* and now he's undergone 2 surgerys. He had to get shiit pinned back together in his shoulder.

Get that scanned and dealt with fast man.
I went to an orthopedist today. He gave me a prescription for some pills named Stopen and a shot called Depo Medrol. 6 days out from the gym :cry:

I hadn't missed a single workout previous to this, wow. Doctor said that it is nothing complex or need surgery. It's inflammation and within the muscle.

I guess it's now time to go consult the medications with the trainer since some medications can interfere with the program that he has for me.

I'm glad this wasn't anything severe. I thought it could have been bursitis, but i'm glad it isn't.

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lucky break. Do as the doctor orders buddy, shoulders are a nightmare.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Purefilth said:
Lucky break. Do as the doctor orders buddy, shoulders are a nightmare.

Lucky break indeed. When i heard that cracking noise, i really feared the worst. Looking forward to working out full health again.

Voice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't push it, let it heal, go to a physical therapist. What did the doctor do? Did he do any tests? If so did he say anything was positive?

I would suspect based on what you said if might be a shoulder impingement. Do you have rounded shoulders? People with rounded shoulders commonly get shoulder impingement syndrome.

Whatever you do don't push this, you could wind up with an even worse condition like adhesive capsulitis which takes up to a year to fully heal.

I'm genuinely curious. I'm actually a second year physical therapy student.

gravityeyelids

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PROCEED WITH CAUTION. I've been there, i've had a problem with my shoulder since high school, and i just kept doing exercises that aggravated it. I recently went to phys therapy and he thinks it's a torn labrum, which isnt horrible but it still prevents lots of exercises.

Weightlifters are horribly horribly stubborn when it comes to stopping to heal an injury. They probably throw out that "IM DEDICATED" bullsh!t and try to power through the pain and think they're bada$$. This is NOT dedication, this is stupidity. Let your body heal. If you keep fvcking with it, you WILL make it worse.

Have patience, do lightweight shoulder rehab exercises with bands and such. Not calling you a noob, but make sure you are training back/rear delts just as often (if not more) than you train chest/tri's and front delts. Muscle imbalances are an extremely common cause of joint problems.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Voice said:
Don't push it, let it heal, go to a physical therapist. What did the doctor do? Did he do any tests? If so did he say anything was positive?

I would suspect based on what you said if might be a shoulder impingement. Do you have rounded shoulders? People with rounded shoulders commonly get shoulder impingement syndrome.

Whatever you do don't push this, you could wind up with an even worse condition like adhesive capsulitis which takes up to a year to fully heal.

I'm genuinely curious. I'm actually a second year physical therapy student.
Hey Voice,

I am actually seeing one today. The doctor moved my arm around in various directions and positions. He told me it wasn't bursitis and it was just inflammation of the nerve/muscle. He told me to inject a shot for the pain and to take 6 pills and not go to the gym for 6 days. I am seeing the therapist because i need to get this fixed urgently or at least a better diagnosis. Rest, do exercises, do therapy, but something at least. I do have round shoulders and this started when i was bench pressing i felt exhaustion on my right shoulder. After that the next time i trained chest, i did a super set with flies and bench press. I then felt a ping and a strain. I am really not someone to take things "easy". I'm willing to push through any amount of pain/hardship to reach my goals. I'm the obsessive type that's working when other are sleeping. I then started to dumb bell press and i felt enormous amount of pain on the right shoulder. I couldn't even DB press 30 pounds and i knew something was wrong. My trainer was not happy because he said i ended up like that for always doing more reps, more weight and "being a lunatic". Indeed a lunatic. I had to lower weight drastically and do band exercises. I had healed, in my opinion, and last week i started doing pull ups, which he forbid me to do, and i got up to 12 x 2 sets and the last one i only did 10 before my right shoulder let out a cringing cracking noise. That's where i am now. Back again and can only do 3 exercises of chest, bands only for shoulders, limited tris, bis and back. Only legs i can do fully.

@Gravity: You are absolutely right. However, i got so far and so fast was because of that. Double edge sword if you will. Band exercises is what the trainer implemented. I used to train those as often as the mentioned ones. Used to. Can't anymore with weights. I was naturally hypotonic and definitely had muscle imbalances. Traps and shoulders. However, i worked incredibly hard to balance it. I injured myself after i had balanced it back. Definitely muscle imbalances though. That's some food for thought to dialogue with the trainer.

@Myself: I am truly frustrated with this. I was at 100 kg 220 lbs before my injury. I am not disappoint, but definitely frustrated i can't grind it out as i've done before. I am at 93 now. I can only do the same weights on legs. I have aspirations of hitting 110-115 kg. (240-250 lbs). I have had a lot of obstacles as well besides the injury, but i have not relented. I can't. I've gave up so much already. I know this is a site to better yourself with women, but i've had to even give that up for this. All for sleeping early, eating every 2 hours and doing every insignificant detail to achieve my goal. I've had instances where i've had to decline staying out with people, declined invitations from girls and rejecting outings. I've eaten the same thing every day for a year. I am not joking. I've instilled such a rigid discipline to obtain what i want. I don't regret any of this and i would still do it again. As much as i want to sink in and give up, i can't do it. I've put in so much money, time and effort. I will continue. I have to. This is a test to see if i really want it as much as i say i do. A dream is only a dream until you breathe life into it.

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
success always has a few steps back. I'm currently benching about 20kg less than my max because of shoulder pains and my squat has been set back because of fvcked knees. do the therapy properly and get back at it when you can.

2 years ago I broke 3 ribs and had an inflamed shoulder. I dropped from 83kg to 78kg.

I did the relax and suffered the "skinnytime" but back at the gym and I put all that weight back on in a matter of 3 months. Now I'm weighing in at 102kg, and feel confident enough to cut. (anyone who's on a permabulk will understand that feeling of "will I lose all my gainzz? :( " )

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Purefilth said:
success always has a few steps back. I'm currently benching about 20kg less than my max because of shoulder pains and my squat has been set back because of fvcked knees. do the therapy properly and get back at it when you can.

2 years ago I broke 3 ribs and had an inflamed shoulder. I dropped from 83kg to 78kg.

I did the relax and suffered the "skinnytime" but back at the gym and I put all that weight back on in a matter of 3 months. Now I'm weighing in at 102kg, and feel confident enough to cut. (anyone who's on a permabulk will understand that feeling of "will I lose all my gainzz? :( " )
Filth,

I am in one of those permabulks. Clean permabulks. Imagine the arduous rigor of it. I forgot what food tastes like already. I hold my weight as my pride and joy and that's exactly what the frustration stems from. Not necessarily the weight i lift because i am not a power lifter and do not want to become one. And it doesn't help that people, even though they joke around and they also know how obsessive i am with this, tell me that i'm shrinking or getting skinny. It's pestering my sleep. And the hard work of gaining weight as well. It's not as easy as it looks when doing a clean bulk.

I know i will put the weight back and gain a bit more. I was out of the gym for a whole week as well. That's a very nice weight. One of the hardest things is that the trainer wanted to enter me in a competition of Men's Physique and now that is not happening. Stem all the frustrations and mishaps to know i'm made for this.

Purefilth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have to imagine - Ive been on that train. this past month ive eaten all sorts of craap though. gotta load on sugars and get it out of my system before the disciplipe starts again.

you have to have something to look forward to while eating clean. :up:

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Purefilth said:
I don't have to imagine - Ive been on that train. this past month ive eaten all sorts of craap though. gotta load on sugars and get it out of my system before the disciplipe starts again.

you have to have something to look forward to while eating clean. :up:
When you think about it, you can take one day off to eat whatever. In a month, that will be 4 days and in a year it will be 48 days. 1 month and 18 days. That sure adds up. Truth be told - I look forwards to the gains while eating clean. I always envision what i want to look like and what i need to do to achieve it. Trust me! How do you think i feel when i can't look at food i would want to eat? The aroma nauseates me into craving and i need to remove myself from the situation to maintain my invincibility streak. One whole year and running.

We are different ages though. You are 8 years older than me and your body may be changing/be different in what it needs. Also, you mentioned your knees and i've heard that is something that comes with age.