Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gwyneth Paltrow 1 week Food Stamp Challenge

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
leftist article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/10/gwyneth-paltrow-food-stamp_n_7043010.html

right winger article:
http://twitchy.com/2015/04/11/grand...-gwyneth-paltrow-vows-to-live-on-snap-budget/

She's going to "attempt to survive" for one week. :rolleyes:

I spend less than half that amount on food every week. The greens she bought can be grown on a windowsill for free, but we'd never ask poor people to take any sort of initiative or work at anything slightly difficult like gardening.

The reality of food stamps is that poor people are largely fat morons who spend whatever they are given on junk food and prepared convenience foods. Our food stamp program rules were written by lobbyists for the giant food conglomerates who peddle the junk food. Using tax dollars to let the poor buy things like diet soda is only helping the company selling diet soda. It has nothing to do with preventing hunger.

Before there was food welfare, poor families would grow a garden in the summer and home "can" what they grew. The can is actually a glass mason jar. There was a garden in every backyard and a pressure cooker and jars in every kitchen. It was a lot of work, but that is what kept poor people from starving to death in winter - their own initiative.

Food stamp welfare has completely turned that idea on its head. Expecting anyone to take initiative in their life is now considered a cruel, antiquated, close-minded, judgmental idea. That same initiative, by the way, is exactly the one thing that is required if anyone is ever going to stop being poor. So we've taken the one value that can overcome poverty and turned it into a dirty word, never to be expected of anyone, which is the best way to make sure a poor person stays poor.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The government doesn't want people to not be poor, self-sufficient, or have any leverage in the labor market or other markets such as housing education, healthcare market.

People from my grandmother's generation use to can have gardens and can vegetables in mason jars like you mentioned, freeze food, and never threw anything away. They also worked, but then there were plenty of jobs and one working person with just a HS diploma or less could support a family and they had benefits like healthcare and retirement.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to hang out with Gwyneth in the Summers on a lake in NY which shall remain nameless. We would hang out on her daddy's dock sunning ourselves, and I would sometimes fish and throw the catch of the day at her just to make her scream.

She was BY FAR the nicest hot chick I've ever known. But her daddy was filthy, filthy rich and she has no clue under the sun about need and lack of resources. She may be quite out of touch, but I have very fond memories of her and she really had a nice personality for such a wealthy and hot girl. Too bad I was such a wus back then.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's really neat that you knew her.

One of my law professors was a US Senator's daughter. I liked her a lot as person. She reminded me of that - well meaning, but very out of touch.

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I eat on about $30 a week myself, 1800-2000 or so calories a day, I make a hobby out of seeing how well I can eat for cheap. Could probably fashion an adequate subsistence diet for $10 a week. The absurdity of "food propaganda" pumped out by the Complex is laughable, and that people buy into it moreso.

Have seen BS LW "millions of starvin" type propaganda movies claiming that people eat fast food because it is cheaper than wholesome food. LMFAO. They eat it because they make poor life choices generally, and what they eat is just another one in a long, long line of them.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The last couple months of law school, I ran out of money so badly that I was skipping class to save the gas money. I asked my grandma if I could have some of her old canned goods in the basement. After ten years or so, the lid will rust through, so they don't last forever. She gave me a lot of green beans and chick peas. I remember walking out the door with the box of jars, and my grandpa looking like he suddenly had a realization. He said, "son, do you need food?"

I looked down at the box and said, "not any more. Thanks!"

Lately, I am trying to make it as a farmer, and I guess that is my other issue with taking food stamps. If I can't feed myself, I'm not much of a farmer.

SamTheHobit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Atom Smasher said:
I used to hang out with Gwyneth in the Summers on a lake in NY which shall remain nameless. We would hang out on her daddy's dock sunning ourselves, and I would sometimes fish and throw the catch of the day at her just to make her scream.

She was BY FAR the nicest hot chick I've ever known. But her daddy was filthy, filthy rich and she has no clue under the sun about need and lack of resources. She may be quite out of touch, but I have very fond memories of her and she really had a nice personality for such a wealthy and hot girl. Too bad I was such a wus back then.
Wait did you really know Gwyneth or are you just messing with us?

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would I tell a story that wasn't true?

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live on about $10 a day for food. Could be less but trying to eat healthier so it costs a bit more. :rolleyes: