Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Question regarding lat pulldowns

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is there a difference between behind the head and in front of the head? I seem to notice better results in my upper lats with behind.

Can you guys tell me what differences there are if any? Thanks.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Even though conventional wisdom states that behind-the-head lat pulldowns place too much strain on the lower neck (in the rear), I personally find the behind-the-head variant places more emphasis on the lats because it recruits less forearms, which is good.

The front lat pull down recruits too much of my forearms and it becomes a forearm/tricep exercise.

I would however, still advise you to pay attention if you begin to feel strain on you neck to stop and give yourself some time to rest and recover.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Talking from a muscular point of view, those done behing the back are much more effective while talking about a joint safety point of view those in the front are less dangerous.

Hard to tell you which one would be better for you, it depends on your overall shape, joint health and posture and mobility.

For what I recall its advisable to use a neutral grip if you wanna do those behing the neck or in many cases dont go as deep as the front one.

What about you use that machine which lets u train arms singularly with a gap in the middle so you can go somehow in the middle? it worked for me.

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never done a lat pull down in my life actually, I stick to pull ups.

But I would imagine that pull downs in front of you involve a little more bicep and a little less lat than behind.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never pull behind the neck, it can cause serious shoulder problems.

Lat pulldowns are OK, but if you are looking for back development weighted pullups are your go to exercise...its the upper body version of a squat.