Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm 38 and live with my parents

Bartledoo

Reaction score
Yes, the title is right, I'm a 38 year old man that lives in his parent's house. I know that will provoke many to deem me a loser, and maybe I am, if only temporarily. I'm curious what you guys think of my situation and some advice. I'll explain my situation.

First off, other than living at home at 38, I'm a completely normal guy. I've been independent before, I've always had friends and an easy time making friends, I'm not nerdy, I don't play WoW, I don't have Aspergers, I don't dress bad, I have good grooming and hygiene. I'm just a normal guy, seriously.

I only recently moved back home. So I'm not "still" living with my parents. I moved out of my parents home when I was 18 and went to college in another state. I always worked and paid my own way through school. Never needed a dime from my parents.

In 2010 I had a dope apartment in one of America's top tier cities. However, I had run into financial problems and made some career and financial mistakes that caused my savings to dwindle. I don't care to explain all those circumstances, but part of it was going on a sort of sabbatical mini retirement, traveling, finding my myself, pursuing personal interests and such. I had enough saved up to last me awhile without being employed. However when my savings was running down and I decided to jump back into the workforce, I was not having any luck finding a new job that paid enough for me to comfortably survive on. At the same time, my rent was going up $200 a year. The final whammy was a medical emergency that caused me to need a surgery. I had health insurance, but only minimal coverage because I've always been very healthy. So I had a huge deductible. I'd been debt free my entire life up until this point. I'd tried before to launch some home based biz but it never took off, and I was having trouble finding work.

I looked at my options. Worse case scenario, I could get two jobs if necessary doing whatever I could find, downgrade from my nice apartment to one in a not as nice area and maybe even live with a roommate. But I'd be just surviving and one paycheck from defaulting on bills and really wouldn't be able to pay down my five-figure debt or save much. At the same time, I was kind of tired of the city I was living in after being there most my life and for awhile had been contemplating making a move overseas at some point as I also follow Roosh V's blog and his adventures gaming women in other countries.

My second option was to just sell all my ****, throw everything I can fit into my car and move back in with my parents for 1-2 years virtually expense free(they don't charge me any rent) I would then be able to accomplish my goals of:

1) Being able to rapidly pay off my debts.

2) Being able to save 2-3 years worth of reserve living expenses to either use as a future down-payment on a home or a life cushion.

3) Focus on rebuilding my career stability and eventually a location independent business that would allow me to live in another country and still earn a living, without having to worry about cashflow and living expenses in the meantime.

Right now my entire monthly expenses are about $550 a month. That includes food, gym membership, fuel, auto insurance, health/dental insurance, etc.

I was able to find a job I really like in this new city here that's a great fit for me at the pay I want so now I'm paying off my debts and should be on target to be debt free by this winter and hopefully by next summer I'll have at least $50k saved up as a life cushion, maybe more depending on how long I decide to stay here. I'd never have been able to do this if I stayed where I was rather than swallow my pride and move back in with my folks. Once again, I'm not some nerd playing video games in mommy's basement. I work 50-60hrs a week. All I really need is a bed, a gym and an internet connection. I have an extremely minimal lifestyle. Sure I could afford an apartment or condo here, the problem is 1) I don't like this city that much and have no intentions on remaining here long term, so I don't want to have to sign a lease or take out a mortgage and then have to go through the trouble and expense of furnishing the place. 2) I eventually want to relocate abroad maybe by the end of next year and not having a bunch of possessions to get rid of is the first step and that's where I'm at now. 3) That $1,000 a month in rent I'd be paying is a $1,000 that's not going to paying off my medical bills or into my savings account. Some days I really hate the idea that I'm 38 and living at home and feel terrible about it, but then I remind myself that many of my "independent" friends are living paycheck to paycheck and can't have even one month without cashflow before being bankrupt.

Luckily I get along fine with my parents and having lived 2,000 miles from them for the last 20 years, in some ways it's nice to be able catch up and spend some time with them. They are getting up in age now. There are some privacy issues of course, but it's a small price to pay for being able to quickly get out of debt and save.

The thing that sucks the most of course is the female situation. Being my age and living at home is about as big a DLV as you can get short of being a registered sex offender or cruel to animals. Unless it's a woman in a similar situation, I can't tell them I live at home or it's game over. I'm undecided on what to do, I could either just go out and game anyway, try and lie my ass off about my living situation and hopefully get the bang at her house before she finds out my background, or just put women and gaming on the back burner and focus on getting my life back on track. Because I won't lie, this definitely effects my confidence and I don't feel like I can go hard the way I want. I hate having to lie about my situation and not feel my authentic self.

So what do you guys think? Has anyone been in this situation before or know anyone that has? If you guys, think I'm a loser for living like this, I could understand that. It's definitely tough after having been independent for 20 years. I'd be curious to hear your feedback too. I just think of myself as taking a temporary sacrifice to get my **** back on track. I know a lot of people living on their own that are in debt and paycheck from disaster. I'm just using this as an opportunity to get to debt free and save up 2-3 years of a cash cushion.

So tell me what you think...:crazy:

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I was 38 and lived with my parents I would commit suicide and I don't even believe in suicide.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself that it's not bad living with your parents at your age.

Bartledoo

Reaction score
Fatal Jay said:
If I was 38 and lived with my parents I would commit suicide and I don't even believe in suicide.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself that it's not bad living with your parents at your age.
Lol. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

No, not trying to convince anyone of anything one way or the other. But living with family past a certain age is a controversial topic and thought it makes for an interesting discussion. In fact, in recent years, the number of people well into adulthood that either never left home or had to return home is increasing rapidly due to economic stagflation.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/mic...35-still-live-parents-marriage-key-moving-out

It's not that uncommon. I actually know quite a few people male and female who live with family in their 30s. Especially if they are Latino where multi-generational households have little stigma. Some like me left when they were teens and came back years later. Some never left. One guy I know lived with his mom his whole life and just moved out this year and bought a house with all the money he saved from decades of not paying rent. He's my age.

It's obviously not an ideal situation, but for the most part my life is pretty much stress free right now. I just work long hours, I'm paying down debt like crazy and saving for the future and plan to be out of here by next summer. If I thought I was going to be like this for good yeah, I might be suicidal too. But financially I'll be looking pretty good next year and I love my new job.

If you get along with your family it might not be that bad, but there are of course major downsides but everyone's family situation is different. I look at it this way, **** could always be worse. Some dudes are locked up in prison for life, some people are sleeping on the street. Some of my friends have their own place but live one paycheck from disaster. Some just turn into parasites and live off welfare.

It's an interesting topic because it's a choice between personal pride and financial stability. I know there are people who would say, "I don't care if I had to eat ramen, stay in debt and have 5 roommates, I'd never return home out of pride". I can totally empathize with that opinion and think it's cool if they can handle the stress of not getting ahead financially. On the other hand, my preference is to swallow my pride for a year and come out in a good financial situation. Because stress from money to me is worse than the stress of embarrassment from living at home.

U

user43770

Nothing wrong with it, dude. I just had to move in with parents for two months. Now I'm back on my feet. Sh1t happens.

Ronaldo7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Focus on yourself first and paying off your debt.

You lose money chasing women, you never lose women chasing money.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I'm back in Canada living with my folks... but I guess I'm going back to China shortly.. I'm 35. I would say **** it, who gives a damn. At home with parents is a good place to be, there are worse places on Earth.

I'm married to a wonderful CHINESE girl from CHINA. She's hot, young and a great person. Absolutely do yourself a favor and never touch a woman from America. Anybody that's gaming women in America is either broke or gay, there is simply no excuse for it.

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As long as it's a temporary lifestyle and not a permanent one, I don't see anything wrong with your situation....
Agreed, it's not a panty dropping situation though. Regardless, I wish you good luck,

logicallefty

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. Just don't be there any longer than needed and help them as much as you can while there. Enjoy the time with parents as they will be gone someday and you will be grateful of the times you had.

Cloudtopsun2100

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
okok I was gonna trash you but Im gonna be real with you. if you really are using this time to gear up for the future then its all good, you can be back and up as a man by 40. good luck to you and fuk the haters, people run into issues all the time so just work to get yourself together and then get out there and enjoy your 40s

Night-hawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ronaldo7 said:
Focus on yourself first and paying off your debt.

You lose money chasing women, you never lose women chasing money.
Hah. Nice.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bartledoo said:
So tell me what you think...:crazy:
I think you've got a solid plan laid out, and I personally would do exactly what you are doing if I was in your shoes. Your situation is temporary.

Years ago, while attempting to make a career change, I was out of work and I temporarily moved in with my parents. Actually, my brother returned from overseas at the same time and was living there as well. It was a blast. I got a chance to catch up with my parents, my brother and I were catching up from not spending much time together over the years. I look back on that time, and realize it was a blessing. I have a great family.

Regarding women, yes, it was a time of no women whatsoever. But, women should never be a goal to determine a man's direction in life. Women are a nice addition often, but you've got some great goals to achieve. I would recommend enjoying the time with your family now, and focus on your goals.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bartledoo said:
Lol. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. .
That is nonsense. There are plenty of permanent problems.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bartledoo said:
Because I won't lie, this definitely effects my confidence and I don't feel like I can go hard the way I want. I hate having to lie about my situation and not feel my authentic self.

So what do you guys think?
Bartledoo, I think your rationale is very well thought-out and you made the wisest decision you could for yourself in the long term. Everyone here except one clown agrees, and he probably didn't even read your post. This may have been better for the 'mature man' section.

To be honest if I were you I would have made the same choice. It does not make sense for you to barely keep your head above water just to have your own place. You save a tremendous amount of money living at home. And it's temporary; it's not like you never left. The discomfort of parental cohabitation will eventually push you out once your goals are met. Consider yourself lucky you even have that option. Most do not.

Regarding the confidence/women issues, you are just going to have to suck it up if you want to meet these goals of yours. I'd be straight up with women after the initial couple of dates, or if you aren't dating then just avoid the issue altogether.

A couple years ago I had to live with my aunt and uncle for a few months to get back on my feet after a job loss and cross country move. I still dated and got laid, and I just told girls the truth. I knew I wasn't a loser, and if they thought so then fvck 'em.

mangotot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it dude. Its only a problem if you think it is.

bcollarmechanic

Don Juan
Reaction score
im 24, i moved back home after my father had a heart attack and heart surgery about a year ago, i moved back home to take care of the home repairs and maintenance as my dad was resting but havent left yet and probably wont till im ready to settle down

my family loves having me back home, especially my younger sister and it makes it a lot easier to save money

i come from a traditional European family where its common to have many generations under one roof

if a girl isnt ok with me being close to my family, then she isnt worth my time, i want to move out one day to live with a girl but she really needs to prove herself to me first

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. It is one hell of a sh!t test to give to a girl! If she's cool with that, you got yourself an easy going chick that is cool with you.