Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Teaching English Abroad

thunder_god

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this before? I'm really considering this for 1-2 years to pay off my student debt and also to network and develop some skills abroad that I can use to polish up my resume and perhaps try to open up some sort of import/export business on the side or something. I'm really leaning towards China, mainly Shanghai. I'm wondering how hiring process went? They ask for a casual photo. What type of photo would they be looking for strategically to be hired? Should I be dressed business professional/casual or just have some pic of me on vacation chilling? Also I hear about of scam recruitment agencies. I'm also a asian Canadian. I hear they are racist as fcuk down there and would only hire mainly european looking guys. What are my chances of getting a teaching job there?

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
I've done a lot of business in China over the years - Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai, Suchow.

Most Chinese are not racist. They may feel bad for you that you weren't born there. But that's as far as it ever went for me.

You sure you're not thinking of Japan?

Dress to impress. In any of China's business cities, that can go a long way.

thunder_god

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tictac said:
I've done a lot of business in China over the years - Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai, Suchow.

Most Chinese are not racist. They may feel bad for you that you weren't born there. But that's as far as it ever went for me.

You sure you're not thinking of Japan?

Dress to impress. In any of China's business cities, that can go a long way.
Nope, China.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/students/2004/china/china6.shtml
http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2011/08/19/australian-born-chinese-do-i-even-have-chance
http://taiwanbornamerican.blogspot.ca/2010/11/its-not-easy-being-yellow-teaching.html

Those are from a few years ago though, not sure how much things have changed though. I guess I will get someone to take a picture of me in a suit with a tie smiling.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Gonna be difficult to get a job in Asia as a black guy, just a heads up. There isn't any way around this.

Whites get preference over everyone else in Asia, if that pisses you off, don't apply.

thunder_god

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LiveFreeX said:
Gonna be difficult to get a job in Asia as a black guy, just a heads up. There isn't any way around this.

Whites get preference over everyone else in Asia, if that pisses you off, don't apply.
Good thing I'm not a black guy then.

logicallefty

Reaction score
My sister's ex husband does this. He has taught English in Hong Kong, Dubai, Malaysia, Afghanistan, and last I knew it was in freaking Iraq. I last saw him about a year ago and had a long talk about his work. He lives and works on the same campus and when he has to leave they give him armed guards. He is paid extremely well and says he doesn't work all that hard, most of the pay he gets is because of where he is located, not what he doing. Not the cup of tea for me but he says he loves it so much that at 72 he has no plans to retire anytime soon.

Reaction score
how do you teach English if you don't know the local language fluently? Are you claiming that this guy knows 5 other languages well enough to teach English in those languages?

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Some of those programs dont require the instructor to know the local language.... they just want an english speaker for the students to **ahem** "conversate" with... its the best way to learn...

Last edited: