Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

pluto

Peña

Banned
Reaction score
Great photo. Thanks for posting. I am interested to see more photos and pictures of Pluto and its the moons. I have always been interested in space with the planets learning about them.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
keep in mind they sent this space shuttle out 9 years ago lol. Before the crash / mini depression and cost 700 million dollars..77 million dollars a year basically. Our national budget this year is 3.8 trillion dollars. which comes to 34.2 trillion dollars over 9 years which means that it cost 0.000002 of the national budget

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
keep in mind they sent this space shuttle out 9 years ago lol. Before the crash / mini depression and cost 700 million dollars..77 million dollars a year basically. Our national budget this year is 3.8 trillion dollars. which comes to 34.2 trillion dollars over 9 years which means that it cost 0.000002 of the national budget
Pluto - blew my mind too, waiting anxiously for the high-resolution pic.

BB: You have evolved to be my favorite poster here, despite all the banned and unbanned racist ignoramuses.
You are an interesting, thought-provoking, sometimes tangential and overall very different personality ; )

Peña

Banned
Reaction score
Cool stuff. Check out the pics in the article. Mountains on Pluto the size of the Rocky Mountains. Crazy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33543383

New Horizons: Images reveal ice mountains on Pluto

Pluto has mountains made of ice that are as high as those in the Rockies, images from the New Horizons probe reveal.

They also show signs of geological activity on Pluto and its moon Charon.

On Wednesday, scientists presented the first pictures acquired by the New Horizons probe during its historic flyby of the dwarf planet.

The team has also named the prominent heart-shaped region on Pluto after the world's discoverer Clyde Tombaugh.

The spacecraft sped past the dwarf planet on Tuesday, getting as close as 12,500km and grabbing a huge volume of data

Mission scientist John Spencer told journalists that the first close-up image of Pluto's surface showed a terrain that had been resurfaced by some geological process - such as volcanism - within the last 100 million years.

"We have not found a single impact crater on this image. This means it must be a very young surface," he said.

This active geology needs some source of heat. Previously, such activity has only been seen on icy moons, where it can be explained by "tidal heating" caused by gravitational interactions with a large host planet.

"You do not need tidal heating to power geological activity on icy worlds. That's a really important discovery we just made this morning," said Dr Spencer.

Alan Stern, the mission's chief scientist commented: "We now have an isolated, small planet that's showing activity after 4.5 billion years."

Prof Stern said the discovery would "send a lot of geophysicists back to the drawing boards".

This same image shows mountains at the edge of the heart-like region that are up to 11,000ft (3,300m) high and which team members compared to North America's Rocky Mountains.

John Spencer said the relatively thin coating of methane, carbon monoxide and nitrogen ice on Pluto's surface was not strong enough to form mountains, so they were probably composed of Pluto's water-ice bedrock.

"Water-ice at Pluto temperatures is strong enough to hold up big mountains," he said.

The thin frosting of nitrogen and other volatiles on top of water-ice bedrock was intriguing, said Prof Stern, because Pluto's tenuous, mainly nitrogen atmosphere was constantly being lost to space.

He recently co-authored an academic study with colleague Dr Kelsi Singer making some predictions based on such a scenario.

"What Kelsi and I predicted was that if we saw steep (water-ice) topography on Pluto with only a volatile veneer, there must be internal activity that's dredging nitrogen up through cryo-volcanism or geysers or some other process that's active into the present on this planet," the mission's chief scientist explained.

"We haven't found geysers and we haven't found cryovolcanoes, but this is very strong evidence that will send us looking."

In memoriam

Scientists have named the heart-shaped region Tombaugh Regio, after the astronomer who discovered Pluto in 1930.

The new, close-up image of Charon has revealed a chasm 4-6 miles deep and also further evidence of active resurfacing.

"Originally I thought Charon might have an ancient terrain covered in craters... it just blew our socks off when we had the new image," said Dr Cathy Olkin.

"Going from the north-east to the south-west is a series of troughs and cliffs...they extend about 600 miles across the [moon]. It's a huge area and it could be down to internal processing."

A striking dark region at the moon's pole may be a thin veneer on top of redder material, she added. It has been informally named Mordor, after the region in the fictional land of Middle Earth in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books.

The first well resolved picture of Pluto's small moon Hydra reveals an elongated body with a surface predominantly made of water-ice. In addition, scientists have come up with a good estimate for its size: 43km by 33km.

"Hydra is not a planet," team member Hal Weaver joked.

The snap contains only a few pixels because the moon is so small and distant; New Horizons took the shot from a distance of 400,000 miles (650,000km).

The pictures were sent back to Earth during the course of two data downlinks on Wednesday.

Significantly, all these images are at a much higher resolution than anything we have seen so far.

The mission team has told New Horizons this week to send down only a small fraction of the total data it carries.

Part of the reason is that the probe continues to do science, observing Pluto from its night side.

The intention is to keep looking at it for about two more full rotations, or 12 Earth days.

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning!!!

Reaction score
Espi said:
I understand fascination with outer space, but I'm not convinced the money is worth the time and the expploration. I'm not sure what they're going to find out there but I guess as long as the government and the rich want to continue spending billions of mainly taxpayers money, there's really nothing that's going to be done about it. - shame that all that money that we're spending above us can't be somehow spent here on earth.

I always think it's kind of funny when NASA and the government releases these feel good stories that somehow everybody is supposed to be just thrilled that we can see Pluto.
When they learn they can get minerals and fuel from other planets, they won't have to keep killing our own planet.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
Espi said:
I understand fascination with outer space, but I'm not convinced the money is worth the time and the expploration. I'm not sure what they're going to find out there but I guess as long as the government and the rich want to continue spending billions of mainly taxpayers money, there's really nothing that's going to be done about it. - shame that all that money that we're spending above us can't be somehow spent here on earth.

I always think it's kind of funny when NASA and the government releases these feel good stories that somehow everybody is supposed to be just thrilled that we can see Pluto.

There are people out there who actually think of the future of our species and civilization and not just what kind of subway they are gonna eat for lunch espi. Planet earth is not infinitely sustainable currently. Eventually we need to get off this planet.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
Just not sold on the idea that a few dazzling pictures of frozen rock are worth the incredible cost.
I don't think it's so much about pictures as it is about building and keeping the technology alive to pull this sort of thing off. Like Julian says, if mankind is to continue to survive, at some point we are going to have to get off this planet. In order to that, we need to keep expanding our knowledge, technology, and abilities. Sure, it's probably a very long shot, but it's our only shot.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The entire Pluto mission cost a mere 720$ million dollars that is a grain of sand the $17 trillion debt US is in ..

In comparison: The Vikings Stadium cost $1 billion dollars.

Not focusing merely on "practical objectives" is what got US where it is today,

Bell Labs, IBM, Intel, Silicon Valley and so many other exaples all started with that free, creative spirit.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
trust me if they figure out a way to get off this planet (which that won't ever happened)

yall broke a$$es wont be on those shuttles, that's not me talking bad, but you know the wealthy will make sure the masses wont fellow

Planet earth will never be wiped out, but it will come a time when nature will go through a purification process. That means anything that been a cancerous on this planet will be cleaned out, I think we are close to that purification with a nuke war.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
Instead of spending money on how to get off this planet, I think the money would be better spent figuring out how to keep living on it.

The United States is $15 trillion in debt, and spending billions of dollars on probes that take pictures of frozen pieces of rock in space in the hope that one day we can avoid our problems on earth instead of actually trying to solve them is in my opinion, not the best solution.

I think focusing on practical objectives should be the direction until the economy turns around.
It is inevitable that humans will get off this planet and live elsewhere, UNLESS we destroy ourselves first. Besides, you present a false dichotomy; the US can focus on more than one thing if it wants.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are asteroids out there floating around right now that contain enough precious metal in just one chuck of space rock to make that particular substance no longer be "precious" any more. Imagine what towing a mountain-sized chunk of gold to Earth would do to the price of gold.

There's already an asteroid-mining company; they are still in just planning stages. But the CEO makes a good point when he says that we are already mining asteroids - but just the ones that crashed here millions of years ago. That's how Earth's precious metals got here.

Reaction score
we have to do FAR more than merely"get off this planet. We already KNOW that there's nohting worth having in this solar system. we know that we'll never reach the next one. it's all bs, unless we can defeat the speed of light in some way. NONE of this physcial stuff is anything but a waste. It's not going to happen. so what must be done is cut the world's population by 90% and keep it from increasing again. get sterilized, guys. It will save you millions of $ and a lot of grief. you can always ADOPT a kid, once you're a millionaire and money's no longer an issue. There's nothing special about your genes (or mine).

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
on probes that take pictures of ice.
Pffftt. Your entire existence, use of technology, your "essentials" today, all came out of work that looked like "taking pictures of ice" at the outset.

What an incredibly ignorant way of looking at scientific investigation and discovery ..

As for expenditures on sports stadiums, how people choose to throw away their money is up to them and I don't agree with wasting billions on a sport stadium any more than I agree with spending money on expensive machines that take nice pictures.
Whether -you- agree or not, the fact remains: There are many other expenditures that would be up for discussion before it came down to the meager budget of the Pluto mission. Without any facts or quantitative comparisons, you sound just like the Lebowski dude if you try to take shots at how the taxpayer money is spent. There are dozens of unnecessary expenses before it comes down to messing with NASA.

Reaction score
we don't have to go to SPACE to study such stuff, that's a crock of shyte. We already know that it takes the speed of light 7 years to reach the closest solar sytem, and we know that we can't attain even 10% of that speed. Ergo, we aint leaving the solar system. We'd have to spend a LOT more go get TO the asteroid than we could POSSIBLY gain. these claims are all bs, in an attempt to keep the VERY HIGHLY paid space industry sucking money out of the taxpayer. yOu've been brainwashed about this (and most other things, like the miltary, your "govt', etc.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Space and time are the same thing. Think of spacetime like a blanket stretched horizontally across a room and several of us are holding the edges to lift it up off the ground, like they do with the giant flags over football fields. The C in Einstein's E=MC Squared is the speed of light. It's C for constant. The speed of light remains constant...as long as we hold the blanket flat.

A black hole is like a bowling ball tossed into the middle of the blanket. It bends spacetime. If we could do that in a controlled fashion, we could bunch up the blanket of spacetime and skip from one part to the next. Because the blanket was bunched up, we're not really traveling faster than the speed of light as far as spacetime is concerned, but we're duplicating that result.

So Einstein was right, faster than speed of light travel is impossible, but that's only true until we start bending the universe. Then, at least from our perspective, it is in theory quite possible.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
Incorrect: I never presented a false dichotomy as I never stated that the US cannot focus on more than thing. I merely stated that it would be imprudent to spend billions of dollars on probes that take pictures of ice.
As Boilermaker pointed out, a lot of useful and practical inventions have come out of the space program. If you want to shut down spending to erase the debt, that's an admirable view, but I'm not sure that shutting down the growth of our technology would be so beneficial.

Espi said:
And who is going to control and profit from the distribution of these minerals and fuels? Is this going to make the world a better place for the masses, or for the wealthy
Well, the wealthy will always be better off, but sometimes the "little people" can benefit too. But maybe the survival of mankind is like throwing a bunch of sperm at a uterus - not all of them are going to make it. But as long as one survives, so does mankind.

Espi said:
And I respectfully disagree about the need to get off this planet. We just need to make changes to this planet.
We WILL have to get off this planet at some point. Hopefully it will be far in the future. The sun will inevitably go nova, for instance. Chances are, humans will be extinct by then. But if not, we're going to have to rely on space exploration. And maybe the key will have more to do with advances in suspended animation than in speed. It's all a long shot, but it's the only shot we have.