Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Can I train my biceps every day with dumbells?

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Today I bought two dumbells to train my biceps and shoulders some more. I also go to the gym, but these dumbells I can use every day. And it was a pretty sweet deal, so I bought them. :up:

I was wondering if I can train my bicipes every day with these dumbells or should I do it every other day? That's pretty much my question. :cool:

cheers,

Guoy

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your biceps are a small muscle and they should only be isolated once a week. Your bicepss also get a light workout when you do your back so it's kind of like hitting them twice a week already=more then enough.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For a while I never did curls because I felt they are taxing to my pullup and row days. Now I only do em for elbow stability (high reps, not worrying about any PR's). Rows and pullups should give you all the major bicep work you need.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could, but it would be a waste of time.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Train them twice a week.

Vary your number ratios weight:volume

I've been working biceps once per week since January.

My buddy who just got a job in construction(moderate/heavy bicep workout 5 days a week) has been working for 3 months and already has biceps bigger than mine.

-----

Better yet, don't take our advice, just find what works for you. Experiment for awhile.

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

Hmmmm, looks like I bought those dumbells for nothing if its the best to train them once or twice a week. :mad: I already go to the gym two or three times a week but only use the machines.

Are there any other muscle groups I can train with these dumbells? Like shoulders, chest or triceps? Remember I only have the dumbells. I don't have the fancy benches they have in the gym.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chest.

Decline, Flat Bench, Incline bench press with dumbells. Google or Youtube search and see examples.

Shrugs. See above. Works out traps.

Triceps. Lifts behind the head. Sometimes called raises.

Lateral Raises - Shoulders - see google/youtube

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should treat them like any other body part. Only 1-2x a week, so the answer as stated is no.

Can you do other things with them? Sure, you can do one arm rows, presses, tricep exercises, lunges, one leg squats, presses if you have a swiss ball, farmer walks, lateral raises, shrugs, etc etc.

I mean depending on the weight and all. If you only got 20lbs then shrugs might not do much good unless you are starting.

And if you haven't guessed, the TRICEP has 3 heads, so that is what gives people the big arm look. The guys you see in the gym who spend all day on their biceps and not triceps will be the ones with suck arms.

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I found a page on the internet with all kinds of dumbell exercises. They defided the dumbell exercises into two parts.

1: chest, shoulders and triceps.
2: back, biceps and legs.

They talk about doing part one on day one and part two on day two. They don't talk about the other days, but to me it looks like you start over on day 3. But that would mean I would train my biceps 3 to 4 times a week. Or should I rest the remaining five days? :(

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My dumbells are by the way only 22lbs each. Still starting.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guoy Darko said:
My dumbells are by the way only 22lbs each. Still starting.
22lbs? :confused:

Standard sizes are 20lbs then up to 25lbs, then 30lbs, and up by 5lbs. The only time you have less is when your at light weights. They make some that go from 1lb-12lbs in 1lb increments and those are the vinyl coated ones.

So my guess is they are 20lbs each.

You could make them 22lbs by adding Plate Mates on them, but those are SOLD extra which can be added to weights. They make them in 2 (1/2) so you could add 1lb total to a hex dumbbell.

If they truly are 22lbs and SAY 22lbs, you've got some odd stuff.

eko

Don Juan
Reaction score
don't waste your time isolating biceps. they won't grow at all if you just isolate them and train them. But, if you want to train them, hit them only once every 6-7 days. Also you'll get a lot of overlap the back exercises

Your arms grow in proportion to the rest of your body. If you want big arms focus on the big compound lifts:

deadlifts
rows
squats
bench/incline bench/db press
military press
pull ups

So with those dumbells... you can do: Military press, db bench (get a swiss ball), lat and front lat raises, one armed rows, and some tricep and bicep isolation exercises.

I used to train my arms and biceps a lot with stuff like tricep pushdowns and all kinds of curls. My arms never got big until... you guess it, the past 2 months I've been hitting the compounds and eating and my arms grew and I never even did one bicep exercise. They get hit enough with rows and pullups tho.

honestly you're better off joining a gym. Should only be around $75-90 for 3 months. good deal.

Guoy Darko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Omen said:
22lbs? :confused:

Standard sizes are 20lbs then up to 25lbs, then 30lbs, and up by 5lbs. The only time you have less is when your at light weights. They make some that go from 1lb-12lbs in 1lb increments and those are the vinyl coated ones.

So my guess is they are 20lbs each.

You could make them 22lbs by adding Plate Mates on them, but those are SOLD extra which can be added to weights. They make them in 2 (1/2) so you could add 1lb total to a hex dumbbell.

If they truly are 22lbs and SAY 22lbs, you've got some odd stuff.
No, it's not weird. I'm from Europe. Everything here is in kilos and not in pounds. Because most of you guys are from the US and other countries where the have the weights in pounds I put it down in pounds. 10 kilos is 22 lbs. ;)