Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Abnormally skinny forearms/wrist

LostAndConfused

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a pretty toned physique, and I'm not that small, but I've got really really skinny wrists and forearm. I have skinny ankles too but its not that big a deal because its not as noticeable. Skinny forearms makes me look alot scrawnier than I really am. Plus I don't have alot of hair growing on my forearm so that just makes it all the worse.

This isn't just appearance related, because my ankles and wrists are really prone to injury too.

While this is probably genetic, and there probably isn't much I can do about it, does anyone have any suggestions?

dj ben2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ive got no advice but trust me ud rather skinny ankeles and wrists then fat ones im down to 10% and my ankles AND wrists are still fat and thick must be my stubborn fat area but id much rather skinny ones

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I had the same thing but I was just skinny all over. Most skinny guys think that it's only their forearms that need work but they really need to get big all over before they will grow. What is your hight and weight?

Are you on a gym program?
Yon can't really change the size of your wrists but you can build your forearms with grippers, pinch plates and wrist curls and reverse curls and chinups if they are really lagging.

Some guys wear a watch and a wrist band to hide there skinny wrists.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forearm muscles are important in throwing punches, so you could look at how fighters train. Hitting a heavy bag would help. UFC fighters also like to hit an old tractor tire with a sledge hammer.

seth03

Don Juan
Reaction score
stick to the three main compound lifts (deadlift, bench press, and squats) - maintain a solid, muscle-building diet - and you will no longer have your forearm problem. These main lifts will increase the size of your forearms (and entire body).

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i've never been 'skinny' but i've twisted/sprained my wrists and ankles plenty of times. they're complex, and in the case of the ankles, weight bearing. and they've never quite gotten used to our bipedal habits. in short, they're vulnerable to injury, just like our knees. (incidentally, i've never seriously injured my knees or back -- it depends a lot on what you try to do with your body).

see the advice above about getting your whole body bigger (squats, deads, bench).

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
to an extent a skinny wrist is genetic. i believe a very slight thickening is possible if grip and forearm muscles grow dramatically, but even guys with massive physiques can have skinny wrists. pull-ups and deadlifts are important but the big compounds are more important for overall size - add to your chest and back so that you can add to your arms so that you can add to your forearms and grip. begin at the beginning, like seth03 says.

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
Genetics. But forearms can grow with compound and isolation work, as with all the other bodyparts.

MM

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your wrist and forearm measurements LAC? And is this your observaton of yourself or did someone else tell you that you have skinny anormal wrist and forearms?

LoneSilver

LostAndConfused

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

wolf116 said:
I thought I had the same thing but I was just skinny all over. Most skinny guys think that it's only their forearms that need work but they really need to get big all over before they will grow. What is your hight and weight?

Are you on a gym program?
Yon can't really change the size of your wrists but you can build your forearms with grippers, pinch plates and wrist curls and reverse curls and chinups if they are really lagging.

Some guys wear a watch and a wrist band to hide there skinny wrists.
LoneSilver said:
What are your wrist and forearm measurements LAC?

I'm 5'10", 140 lbs. I was on a bulk regiment earlier, but it was extremely hard to get that to work because my metabolism is so darn fast. Right now I'm injured, but when my injury heals I'll be back to the gym in no time. I mean, unlike most people, I actually LIKE to work out at the gym. (just the nutrition part is what I hate >_<)

Now the guy running the gym I'm at said what you said, Manic. He said that if I kept doing compound lifts (bench press, squats, and I do cleans instead of deadlifts), my biceps, forearms and other leg muscles will grow. Those lifts are pretty much the bread and butter, ya know? I heard somewhere the eustress on your spine, from proper squat and deadlift/clean form (not any negative pressures) actually neurologically stimulate muscle growth, so you guys are right.

I mean really, I'm not ripped at all, but I'm not skinny either. I wear alot of different clothing styles, but when I wear baggy clothing, I fill the clothing out in the chest area and everywhere except it looks weird to see two twigs coming out of the arm holes :whistle: . If I got my grip strength a little stronger, I could probably snap the two bones in my wrist just by squeezing hard.

Haha, ever seen a snowman? Regular size head, torso and bottom part, then its got two branches sticking out of its sides.

I measured my wrist, its circumference is <6" (I would say 5.75" to be exact). The watch idea is great, but my wrist is too small to wear any decent looking men's watch.

Bible_Belt said:
Forearm muscles are important in throwing punches, so you could look at how fighters train. Hitting a heavy bag would help. UFC fighters also like to hit an old tractor tire with a sledge hammer.
I disagree, unless you rotate your wrist for extra torque/power at the end of your punch. Your shoulders and core are just as if not even more important in punching or any MA hand technique for that matter than your arm muscles. When it comes to your arm, your triceps would probably be the most important in punching.

And concerning my ankles....they get injured...alot.

LoneSilver said:
And is this your observaton of yourself or did someone else tell you that you have skinny anormal wrist and forearms?

LoneSilver
This is sorta an observation of myself, but at the same time, no one is gonna go up to me and say "Hey, LostAC, your forearms are skinny bro." Also, when you look at someone with exposed arms, whats the first sign that they are a skinny person? Scrawny forearms. I've got a pretty well developed chest/back....my legs need a bit more work but they are getting there.

One girl said I was scrawny, then I said nothing but took off my shirt (sorta as a joke) and she said I took steroids because "something didn't look right."

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem is obvious, you need to pack on some muscle.
Everyone hates the nutrition part, as it is the hardest. Going to gym is easy, fun and only lasts an hour. Where as you have to plan your diet all day, every day.
Wright down everything you eat for a week and we will determine if you have a high motabloism or not. My guess is that you just don't eat much. As I thought exactly the same thing.

EDIT. BTW you sound just like me one year ago. As you become more muscular your body if forced to even out more. I still think my arms are to skinny compared to my torso but it is a hell of a lot better then what it was and improving. This sh!t takes time.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
UFC fighters also like to hit an old tractor tire with a sledge hammer.
That's one of my favorite workouts :up:

mynameisnottravis

Reaction score
I have had the same problem my whole life, I am 27, 5`11, 188 lbs, and my wrist circumference is 4.2 inches.
I don't want to undermine you when you say that yours are 5.8, but that doesn't seem too extreme to me, I've always heard that average for an adult man is 6 inches.
When I was 16-17 I was extremely thin, and it look me a while to grow out of it, but you will, just keep lifting and eating.
But now that I'm older and have studied exercise science I would make these suggestions:

1.Try to get massage done occasionally. I know is expensive, but if you're lifting using forearms a lot, you don't want these muscles to become strained, which will just lead to more wrist issues.
2. Do a hot Epsom salt bath for your forearms, it will create more blood flow to your forearms, meaning better recovery, and over time may create more stability in the wrist in general.

I have the same concerns as you, if not more so, there are things I need to be careful about doing because the wrists are so thin, but as you eventually bulk up, it will start to look better, since I'm now almost 190, 165lbs lean mass, it makes my skinny wrists look less noticeable. I mean sure, sometimes if someone just stares at my wrists, they'll notice it, but if you look at me as a whole, it's not the first thing people see.
I would be optimistic, I mean, you are 5`10, and perhaps by the time you hit 22-23, maybe 5`11, 6`0, who knows, and once you fill out to let's say 170-180 even, it will be all good.

Derekg21

Reaction score
LostAndConfused said:
Hey guys, I've got a pretty toned physique, and I'm not that small, but I've got really really skinny wrists and forearm. I have skinny ankles too but its not that big a deal because its not as noticeable. Skinny forearms makes me look alot scrawnier than I really am. Plus I don't have alot of hair growing on my forearm so that just makes it all the worse.

This isn't just appearance related, because my ankles and wrists are really prone to injury too.

While this is probably genetic, and there probably isn't much I can do about it, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey bro, I'm in the same boat over here. I have skinny forearms as well. I've actually been looking up a product called 'Fat Gripz'. I've seen a lot of people getting some good results from it. Do a google search on it and see what you find. Good luck bro, us skinny forearm guys must stick together.lol

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LostAndConfused said:

Increase your deadlift