Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

JonJaper's workout log

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL@ bot automated response^^^

Wednesday (18th) was back/traps/biceps day

Warmup:
5 mins on that 'exercise bike for arms'
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 154 pounds, 10 reps

Deadlifts: 2 sets, 313 pounds, 5 reps to failure on the 1st set...4 reps to failure on the 2nd set...I think I'm losing strength from poor eating/sleeping habits I got into recently!!

Assisted chin-ups: 2 sets, 18 pounds of assistance, 6 reps to failure

Bent-over barbell rows: I'm going lighter to nail form....2 sets, 99 pounds 8 reps to failure without jerking and with a smooth motion

Barbell shrugs: 2 sets, 192 pounds 11 reps to failure

Barbell curls: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 7 reps to failure with much better, smoother form

Seated dumbbell curls: 1 set, 2x 31 pound dumbbells (so 62 pounds in total), 6 reps to failure

Barbell wrist curls: I'm going for a higher rep range (8-12) so I'm using a lower weight...2 sets, 55 pounds, 11 reps to failure.

Any numbers in bold represent increases from last week

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This week is the last week of my 8-week workout cycle. I'm not overtraining this week since I have recently gone into bad sleeping and eating patterns which has taken a toll on my body.

This week I intend to reset those bad sleeping/eating patterns.

Plus next week during my rest week I am starting a keto diet, which is zero carbs, so I definitely don't want to tax my body right before I start keto.

Today was legs/abs day.

Warmup:
5 mins on treadmill to get blood flowing to the legs
2 sets of warmup squats, 99 pounds, 10 reps

Max-effort squats: 2 sets, 242 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Leg press: 1 set, 341 pounds, 5 reps to failure using the full ROM of the machine.

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 264 pounds, 5 reps...I noticed my form was giving way (upper back arched) towards the end of the set...I gotta be careful!

Leg curl: 1 set, 140 pounds, 6 reps to failure...my legs started cramping up hard! I think it is because of my recent bad habits and not drinking enough water.

Calf raises on a seated calf-raise machine: Was gonna do 3 sets, 66 pounds, but at the end of my 1st set (10 reps to failure) my legs started cramping up more...I had to stop here since I didn't want to tear my calf muscle and put myself out of action for weeks!

Kneeling rope crunches: 2 sets, 99 pounds, 10 reps to failure

Woodcutters: 1 set per side, 55 pounds, 8 reps to failure

All numbers in bold represent increases from last week.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
27th of April was chest/triceps/shoulders day:

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of dumbbell bench press, 2x35 pound dumbbells (so 70 pounds in total), 10 reps

Dumbbell bench press: 2 sets, 2x61 pound dumbbells (so 121 pounds total), 6 reps to failure

Incline barbell bench press: 2 sets, 137 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with a total of 22 pounds attached to a belt, 6 reps to failure

Seated dumbbell military press: Still nailing form....did 2 sets of
2x44 pounds (so 88 pounds in total...), 5 reps to failure with better form

Dumbbell side lateral raises: 1 set, 2x22 pound dumbbells (so 44 pounds total), 11 reps to failure

Cable tricep pushdowns: sets, 77 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Decline barbell skullcrushers: 1 set, 55 pounds, 5 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
28th of April was back/traps/biceps day

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 154 pounds, 10 reps

Deadlifts: 2 sets, 313 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Assisted chin-ups: 2 sets, 15 pounds of assistance, 7 reps to failure

Bent-over barbell rows: I'm going lighter to nail form....2 sets, 99 pounds, 8 reps to failure without jerking and with a smooth motion

Barbell shrugs: 2 sets, 192 pounds, 12 reps to failure

Barbell curls: 2 sets, 71 pounds, 6 reps to failure with much better, smoother form

Seated dumbbell curls: 1 set, 2x 31 pound dumbbells (so 62 pounds in total), 6 reps to failure

Barbell wrist curls: I'm going for a higher rep range (8-12) so I'm using a lower weight...2 sets, 55 pounds, 11 reps to failure.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Long time no update...but doesn't mean I haven't been sticking to my workouts!!

Time for a review

At the end of the last 8-week workout cycle at the end of April, I was 167 pounds

This is an increase of 42 pounds since I started working out in October.

Main lifts:

Squats:

October: 154 pounds, 6-7 reps

Now: 242 pounds, 5 reps

Bench Press:
October: 95 pounds, 5 reps

Now: 121 pounds, 6 reps

Deadlift:

October: 220 pounds, 5 reps
Now: 313 pounds, 5 reps

After the last 8-week workout cycle, I rested for 2 weeks. During this time I also started a cyclic keto diet.

For those that don't know, a cyclic keto diet is a diet where zero/negligible carbohydrates are consumed and the diet is mainly protein and fat...this is basically living off meat, fish, eggs, cheese, mayo and low-carb vegetables like broccoli, asparagus and mushrooms.

This means no rice, bread, pasta, noodles, fruit, potatoes, junk food (fast-food, potato chips, chocolate, ice cream), juices, alcohol, soft drinks, and not even milk (as milk contains significant carbohydrates in the form of lactose)

This is done to deplete the body's source of carbohydrates, forcing the body to use other sources of energy. The main source when carbohydrates are depleted is fat. The fat is converted to substances called ketone bodies...this is where the keto diet gets its name from, because it puts you in a ketogenic state (keto=ketone bodies, -genic = producing...so ketogenic = producing ketone bodies).

It is a cyclic keto diet because you cycle carbohydrates...you don't just stop having carbs for prolonged periods altogether. Once a week, you consume carbs. I made my carb-up day Saturday...which fits in nicely with my social life so I can go for meals with friends, go drinking etc on the weekend. So I can have rice/pasta/bread/potato/fruit etc on a Saturday.

With regards to calories...

When I was bulking on EFFORT and Quiksilver's diets....I consumed at least 3000 calories daily.

Now, on my keto cut, I am consuming 1800-1900 calories...as my maintenance is around 2400 calories.

After the 2-week rest period passed, I continued my workout routine.

Last edited:

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday (14th of May) was leg/abs

Warmup: 5 mins on treadmill
2 warmup squats, 99 pounds, 10 reps

Max effort squats: 2 sets, 242 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Leg press: 1 set, 330 pounds, 5 reps to failure (with full ROM of the machine)

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 264 pounds, 5 reps

Leg curls: 1 set, 140 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Seated machine calf-raises: I expressed a preference for the seated calf-machine instead of using a Smith machine whilst standing on a platform last time...this is what I will use from now on.

Also, some idiot in my gym injured himself really badly doing Smith machine calf-raises whilst standing on a platform...so my gym has banned using platforms!!

Even if I preferred Smith machine calf-raises, I can't do them.

So...seated machine calf-raises from now on....3 sets, 66 pounds, 10 reps to failure.

Cable crunches: 2 sets, 88 pounds, 10 reps to failure.

I am eliminating woodcutters from my workout because I have noticed my core (especially at the sides) is getting bulky. Of course some of it is due to me bulking up but there is a 'love-handle' effect, and I think excessive oblique training has contributed to this.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday (15th of May) was chest/triceps/shoulders

Warmup: 5mins on the 'exercise bike for arms'
2 warmup barbell bench press sets, 66 pounds, 10 reps

Max effort barbell bench-press: 2 sets, 121 pounds, 5 reps to failure

DB incline bench press: 2 sets, 2x53 pounds, 5 reps to failure on the first set, 4 reps to failure on the 2nd set.

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with 22 pounds attached to a belt, 6 reps to failure

DB Military presses: 2 sets, 2x39 pound dumbbells, 5 reps to failure

DB side laterals: 1 set, 2x17 pound dumbbells, 9 reps to failure

Tricep cable pulldowns: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Tricep DB extension: 1 set, using 1 54 pound dumbbell, 5 reps to failure

I have noticed huge strength losses!!:mad:

But hey, I am cutting on a keto diet....I guess some strength loss is inevitable. A cyclic keto diet can leave you fatigued and not able to lift as much...so I'll take it easy, not overtrain and push lower weights with good form.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wednesday (16th of May) was back/biceps day

Warmup: 5 mins on that 'exercise bike for arms''
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 143 pounds, 10 reps

Max effort deadlifts: 2 sets, 313 pounds....

But I lost more strength! 1st set was only 5 reps to failure, 2nd set was 3 reps to failure

Assisted pullups: 2 sets, with 18 pounds of assistance, 5 reps to failure

Bent-over BB rows: 2 sets, 99 pounds, 7 reps to failure with good form + no jerking

BB shrugs: 2 sets, 187 pounds, 8 reps to failure

BB curls: 2 sets, 72 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Seated DB curls: 1 set, 2x26 pound dumbbells, 5 reps to failure

Wrist curls: 1 set, 55 pounds, 9 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Today was leg/abs

Max effort squats: 2 sets, 242 pounds, 4 reps to failure...losing even more strength

I usually squat to parallel...but since I am starting to hit a brick wall I think I'm gonna start squatting ATG from now on, using a much lower weight obviously. I'll start this from next week

Leg press: 1 set, 330 pounds, 5 reps to failure (with full ROM of the machine)

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 264 pounds, 5 reps

Seated machine calf-raises: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 11 reps to failure

I couldn't finish my workout as the gym was closing...see below for extra details haha!

Any numbers in bold represent increases from last week.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I couldn't do ab-work today....I went quite late to the gym AND had some gym instructor broscience me on workouts etc.

He was also concerned because I was making too much noise. Since I go to failure every set, at the end of the squat set (as I approach failure), I lower the barbell down to some safety bars and that can make a lot of noise.

I get that it can be a problem...and the dude offered to spot me so when I do go to failure next time, he'll spot me. It is his job after all. I'm totally ok with the gym instructor spotting me just as long as he spots me correctly and doesn't make my squatting harder...and as long as he doesn't grind his d!ck up against my ass when he spots me haha!!!

But anyway...due to the long conversation I had with the guy, and with the gym closing, I couldn't do abs.

A bit of a bummer to be honest, and I had to just politely decline his broscience and his offers to completely revamp my workout. Heck, you gotta stand your ground sometimes (without being naive and stubborn/arrogant of course), and as you guys can see from this log, this workout I'm following has been giving me good gains.

Having said that, there are a lot of experienced guys on this forum...so I am 100% open to different suggestions and feedback.

Do you think I should continue with my current workout that has been good for me so far? Is it unreasonable to ditch it just because I have lost strength in a week or so?

Perhaps 1 week of lost strength isn't enough of a reason to think I have plateaued. In my opinion, I would want to see how the rest of the 8-week workout cycle goes before making a conclusion on lost strength/plateaus...but it would be cool to compare different opinions.

Yes I have recently lost strength (inevitable on a keto diet)...but I have also been very stressed with university work, not getting enough sleep etc. On top of that, I have been resting for 2 weeks (during which time I was very lazy and inactive, sitting around most of the time) and not taking creatine+beta alanine, so that will contribute to some strength loss.

I have chest/triceps/shoulders tomorrow, and I guess I will concentrate on lowering the weights and practicing good form.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great journal and consistency. What is your current goal?

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Great journal and consistency. What is your current goal?
Funnily enough I don't really have a set 'goal' as such. I wanna get as big as I can naturally and lift as much as I can naturally. The emphasis is more on bodybuilding and appearance rather than the powerlifting/strength side of it though. In terms of leanness, I would aim for 10% bodyfat or below, basically enough to look good.

Anyway time to update this!

Friday (25th of May) was chest/triceps/shoulders

Max effort barbell bench-press: 2 sets, 121 pounds, 6 reps to failure

DB incline bench press: Dropped the weight to get form...2x44 pounds, 2 sets, 6 reps to failure

DB Military presses: 2 sets, 2x35 pound dumbbells, 6 reps to failure

Tricep cable pulldowns: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Tricep DB extension: 1 set, using a 54 pound dumbbell, 5 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
27th of May was back/biceps:

Max effort deadlifts: 2 sets, 286 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Assisted pullups: 2 sets, with 18 pounds of assistance, 5 reps to failure

Bent-over BB rows: 2 sets, 99 pounds, 7 reps to failure with good form + no jerking

BB shrugs: 2 sets, 187 pounds, 9 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Now here's a major bummer...

As some of you know, here in the UK at the start of June there were celebrations for the Queen's Jubilee (basically commemorating 60 years on the throne).

As a result, there were work holidays, closures and delays to public transport...AND my gym was shut until the 6th of June LOL! So I had no choice but to postpone my workouts.

6th of June was leg/abs

Max effort squats:This time I'm squatting ATG so I dropped the weight... 2 sets, 198 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Leg press: 1 set, 330 pounds, 6 reps to failure (with full ROM of the machine)

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 242 pounds, 6 reps...eased up on the weight because last leg session I noticed I was rounding my back.

Seated machine calf-raises: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 12 reps to failure.

The gym was closing and I had no time to do abs

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
7th of June was chest/triceps/shoulders

Max effort barbell bench-press: 2 sets, 121 pounds, 6 reps to failure

DB incline bench press: 2x44 pounds, 2 sets, 7 reps, didn't go to failure so I did a slow negative at the end of each set to failure.

DB Military presses: 2 sets, 2x35 pound dumbbells, 7 reps to failure

Tricep cable pulldowns: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 7 reps to failure

Now I have noticed my chest is a severely lagging bodypart...so I have decided to incorporate some chest isolation work. I know that pressing movements are gonna be better than flye movements, but that doesn't mean flye movements don't have their place in a chest workout.

So I started doing pec-deck machine flyes...2 sets with a 9-plate stack, 7 reps to failure.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
8th of June was back/biceps:

Max effort deadlifts: 2 sets, 1st set was 286 pounds, 7 reps, didn't go to failure, so I increased the weight in the 2nd set to 297 pounds, 5 reps to failure.

Assisted pullups: 2 sets, with 18 pounds of assistance, 6 reps to failure

BB shrugs: 2 sets, 187 pounds, 11 reps to failure