Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do boxers weight train?

TheNonPedant

Don Juan
Reaction score
I notice that most boxers are ripped with little body fat and toned muscles. Even the 160 pounders look big.

Question is: Do they weight train or do they just do circuits and hit the bag?

thanks

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea excatly toned muscles.....they do weight training with lower weight and higher reps. you really dont want to get too big bc you want to be quick and flexible.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What he said.

The emphasis is to maximise the potential of all the muscle. They do explosive training with weights - none of that slow heavy lifting. The slower and heavier you lift, the slower you'll move. The faster you lift, the quicker that punch becomes.

and yeah - they are pretty cut. Jump-Rope does that to ya... half an hour of that is a lot better than a 30 min jog. it's also not quite so harsh on your knee's, which if you have a knee problem, is great.

About getting too big: I've seen some HUGE guys that are still flexible and have fast hands... I should imagine it's a huge job though - constantly lifting more, then cutting, then getting the stamina, and then repeating it all again... There was a huge muay thai bloke that was about 240lbs.... he was moving just as fast as the guys that were about 160-160lbs... think of the extra weight he throws into THAT :eek:

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They sure do weight train. However more on specific muscles used to create strength in their legs, abdominal strength and strength for punching power.

The reason they are ripped, lol, when u spend a couple of hours a day in the gym, training simply on your boxing (all cardio), then u do weights and also do your roadwork of course u will be ripped.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, most pro boxers have a tendancy to do a full workout of *all* their major muscles.

When punching, you need to have the ability to pull it back without pulling a muscle, and also at the same speed as it went out. Also, you're twisting your body with the punches, so you need good strong back muscles as well.

To avoid KO's, some boxers do a lot of neck muscle development - although not everyone agrees, if you look at all the boxers and MAists that can take a punch, their necks are solid.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen
Actually, most pro boxers have a tendancy to do a full workout of *all* their major muscles.

When punching, you need to have the ability to pull it back without pulling a muscle, and also at the same speed as it went out. Also, you're twisting your body with the punches, so you need good strong back muscles as well.

To avoid KO's, some boxers do a lot of neck muscle development - although not everyone agrees, if you look at all the boxers and MAists that can take a punch, their necks are solid.
oh ok. I have boxed for 7 years and KNOW boxers dont do full body workouts. Of course u need to work all your muscles, but that comes from boxing. Tricepts and bicepts are important for clinches (if u are pro), and for throwing the punches out and pulling them in (for pro and amateur).

SOME boxers do neck muscle development, however not too many.

When I have been in the training camp of some elite pro boxers they have NEVER done full body workouts when they go to the gym. I have posted on what weights to do for punching power etc in previous posts, so not going to repeat myself again. If you dont agree, perhaps u should speak to Freddie Roach, Dan Goosen or some of the great trainers in the game. No point learning from some of the bumb trainers u get in local boxing gyms.

Devilman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well i've been doing boxing for like 4 months now, and locally no one does weights i am the biggest guy that goes to my gym, most of them are teenage kids etc.

However i think at heavyweight alot of the pros do full workouts, you just have to look at tyson, holyfield etc their fecking huge, the chest muscle on tyson dont come from hitting a bag, that guys benching about 300 ibs easy i'd think, and holyfield was once a cruiserweight and he got himself up to heavyweight and all the weight he put on was muscle some ppl think he's on steroids to have done this so quickly, but in my opinion to have such big muscles these guys would have to be doing heavy weight training

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you just have to look at tyson, holyfield etc their fecking huge, the chest muscle on tyson dont come from hitting a bag
I think so, too. Besides I saw tyson working out with weights once (on tv) and he did curls and he did them just as slowly or fast as I would do them. I think a lot of heavy weight boxers / martial artists use ordinary workout routines and use them just to put on muscle and dont necessarily do every set explosively so they dont slow down or anything. I think a lot of them just lift weight to put on muscle and have more weight behind their punches but are still able to punch quickly, because they work on their punches and their punching speed every time they punch.
(however they'd still be able to punch faster if they didnt have such big muscles)

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heavies definately do full body workouts. Because weight is not an issue. They can be strong in every part of their bodies and carry as much weight as possible.

But when u have to be under 160lbs for example, u only work on the muscles that are needed to carry u around the ring (legs), produce power (legs, chest etc). No point getting massive arms, u need them to be powerful, but dont want to waste weight on parts of the body that dont do much and are already done through natual boxing training.

As for evander, yeah he was a light-heavy to start with. That dude has the biggest traps I have ever seen, relative to the rest of his body. Meh, he was awesome, but is a washed up old man now, brain damage is on its way to him if he doesnt retire now!

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SOME boxers do neck muscle development, however not too many.
As I said before, not everyone agrees with the neck exersizes. But it is consistant that the bigger and stronger the neck, the less likely the knockout.

I have boxed for 7 years and KNOW boxers dont do full body workouts.
Heavies definately do full body workouts.
contradicting yourself unless heavies dont count as boxers :)

I was also talking about the heavyweight division. Mind you, it does bring up the question that if the lighter classes get away with not working every muscle out, why should the heavyweights bother with those same muscles? afterall, it's all unrequired weight to slow you down.

I'm an MAist myself, and I know from experience that not having the muscles balenced right can give you a serious pain in the ass. I'm not the best MAist, but I know my stuff fairly well I like to think.

7 years in the game? awesome :) lets hope you keep going that way for as long as you want to.

btw madgame, A lot of UFC fighters do explosive weights for almost everything, but yes, theres only one way to pile on the muscle to begin with, and thats a lot of slow heavy lifts :)

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen
As I said before, not everyone agrees with the neck exersizes. But it is consistant that the bigger and stronger the neck, the less likely the knockout.

contradicting yourself unless heavies dont count as boxers :)

I was also talking about the heavyweight division. Mind you, it does bring up the question that if the lighter classes get away with not working every muscle out, why should the heavyweights bother with those same muscles? afterall, it's all unrequired weight to slow you down.

I'm an MAist myself, and I know from experience that not having the muscles balenced right can give you a serious pain in the ass. I'm not the best MAist, but I know my stuff fairly well I like to think.

7 years in the game? awesome :) lets hope you keep going that way for as long as you want to.

btw madgame, A lot of UFC fighters do explosive weights for almost everything, but yes, theres only one way to pile on the muscle to begin with, and thats a lot of slow heavy lifts :)

Yes, because when I was talking about boxers, I was talking about lighter weights, as 95% of boxers are NOT heavies. MOST boxers are around the 147lbs division. The average 80kg guy is about 67kg (147lbs) once he starts training for boxing and gets himself into fighting condition.

Why do heavies do full body workouts and NOT lighter weights.........

Like I said, Heavies do NOT have to worry about coming in at required weight.

When u box and have to make weight, u make the lightest weight possible. U cut up and only build the muscles that need to be built for the sport. If u are carrying weight in ALL your muscles (and there are MANY MANY muscles), u will be above your natural fighting weight and will be at a HUGE disadvantage. Just a few pounds in boxing can be a HUGE difference in opponents strength.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and just so I dont confuse u. Muscles dont get out of balance this way. Because u are still doing a LOT of boxing, bagwork, roadwork, sparring, shadow boxing etc. So u do workout ALL of your muscles. U just add the extra strength to certain muscles through weight training. And this was the topic of the thread.

DJ_Mind_Tricks

Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm

i know this isn't necessarily about boxers, but id like to interject, ive read that bruce lee did weight training w/ heavy weights and very slow reps. He believed the best way to do it was to do the motion slow. He had a whole weight training routine. He turned to weight training to supplement his martial arts, which was pretty unusual for the typical martial artists. Id say he turned out pretty good :) .

this is not an opinion, its merely just an observation
(this info was taken from:
http://www.buyersmls.com/brucelee/

http://epgpfm.fateback.com/concepts/leeweight.html

http://www.allbrucelee.com/article/why_bruce_lee_turned_to_weight_t.htm

Also, can you guys please be more specific on HOW u would get slower by lifting slower? i dont really see the relevance and the scientific explanations, enlighten me. I want proof of the negative effects of weightlifting on speed (i know about the flexibility issue)
im just curious.

Devilman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I mostly agree with whats Clooney's saying, i dont think the lighter guys do full on weight training, maybe a little for certain areas but not much more than that.

About Bruce Lee i've always known he worked out but not to take anything away from him, i mean he looks awesome. but he hes't really that big, he'very toned and has mega low body fat %, but he aint got massive muscles, thus the reason he kept the speed/flexibility

I dont know the specifics behind the more muscle = slower movement statement it's something i was told when i first started doing weights, just seems to be an accepted view point. I thought it was to do with the more muscles being heavier thus taking more time to move them, kinda thing. To be honest i have bigger arms now than i did at any other point when i was younger yet i am just as fast a puncher if not faster now although that could be down to me maturing, so i dont know what to belieave on the matter

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's about muscle volume mainly. look at the speed of lightweights compared to middleweights. a lot of speed difference through the weight.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just some extracts from that article btw:

"He designed his weight-training workout to avoid bulky muscles that might interfere with his performance. For instance, he did not want muscles that restricted the movement of his elbows. "

that was, he said, used for bringing them in quickly... but also, it meant he could extend fully/retract fully making for a much quicker and more efficent punch. I made a generalisation, as most people here seem to be body-builders, not people using it for boxing/MMA.

the more muscle, the more you have to shift of YOURSELF, the more resistance you are bringing upon yourself. lifting slower causes more bulk [we know that for a fact, right?] which is why I made that generalisation.

sorry for double posting ^^

DJ_Mind_Tricks

Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm

damn i wonder how he put that routine together

im a martial artists and i feel that my bicep will eventually restrict my movements. But i started lifting, and i dunno whatll happen if i stop. ill try and find some resources on lifting for combat sports.

Anyone know about strength training exercises for combat sports, especially if ur a lightweight kickboxer. I really enjoy lifting, but i need to know more about its effects on movement. I read as long as you stretch real well after a session youll keep ur flexibility. I just cant get too damn bulky. Although i did read the majority of kickboxers lift.

I dont know many bodyweight exercises except for the basics (pushup... ermm thats it) maybe there are a few that can work all ur muscle groups. back, lower body, chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders (though i do not think there is a bodyweight exercise that works your traps) any books/videos/articles on this?

anyway, thanks for the replies guys

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My personal oppinion? Bruce Lee was a genetic freak :nod:

press ups [many different ways of doing them to hit an insane amount of muscles], sit ups and crunches, pulls ups, chin ups, squats etc can all be done without extra weight put into them.

You can also use weights with your back and abs, but go for more reps than what a lot of people will often suggest. constantly stretch - I expect you've heard of him, a guy called matt fury... some say he's a fake, some say he's the sh!t, either way, flexibilty and strength can be easy if you do it right.

Above all, dont go lifting 190 lbs of whatever, because A) you'll probably move up a weight division anyway, but B) theres more muscle to shift, more muscle to slow you down, more muscle to fight with, and you need to put a whole much more effort into building more stamina in your muscles if you want to go any sort of distance at all.

Good luck with it, if you want advice on this matter, look around www.karateforums.com

Ben

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a different, yet similar question: If your muscles get bigger your punch will get harder too (though you most likely will slow down a little, too...). But actually your punch will only be harder because your arms (+ the rest of your body etc.) will be HEAVIER, not because they will be stronger or am I wrong? I was just wondering whether it actually was the STRENGTH part or the WEIGHT part that made your punch harder, but actually in this case its all about the weight, isnt it?

(just wondering)