Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Food server - tips. about how much can u make?

PleasureKing

Don Juan
Reaction score
meals vary anywhere between $40 to $120 at TGIF (depending on how many people at the table, and how many drinks they order as well).

Most people tip around $5 to $15. and on average, if you handle 10 tables a day, thats around $50 to $150. but you said night shift, so it really depends on the group at the table, and how many you can handle per night.

make a couple friends at your work, and ask them for better answers.

peace
The PleasureKing

cpddavis

Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't get to just keep every tip. Every restaurant I'm familiar with has some sort of system for tipping out the bartenders, bussers and/or expos.

If you net $100 in tips you probably grossed around $130.

I wouldn't expect TGIF to have a lot of exceptionally good tippers so your sales would probably have to be at the $800-900 range to make $100. But it can really vary from night to night. You really need to find out how much you can sell on a typical night before you know how much you can make.

If you work at Denny's you might walk out with with $50, if you work at a posh fine dining place you might walk with $350.

qweretyuiopas

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe its like pleasureking said ^
I only worked at a very expensive restaurant as a server, but it was French service not American type service, so it was much harder much more refined, serve from the right remove from the left, even did some cooking tableside, like bananas foster etc. It was only about 6 weeks cause it was apart of my schools program. I only worked there for about 3 hrs a day 4 days a week, I would handle 4 tables max each day and make at least 30 for a 2 top and at least 50 for a 4 top so u can add all that up and see the kinda cash I made everyday and everyweek. Granted I did alot more work than any server at the typical american restaurant, even did some cooking tableside, so I earned my moneys worth. I hated serving but for that kinda cash Id do it anyway. Too bad it was only brief cause of its thing going with my school.

I'll give u some advice you gonna get you some people that are gonna piss you off, and they will hate you for no reason too, be as nice as you can and hold back. I had this chick late 30's had the hot chick syndrome thought she was a 10 but was a 6 on her best day. I went to put water and bread on the table and told them id be right back to take their orders. I walked off and a server who was waiting tables near mine said when I walked away she said to her friend 'I hate that guy' talking about me. she did alot of stuff that day to piss me off (complaining about the silverware, calling over my supervisor cause she assumed i got her the wrong salad when it was just fine, taking her order back cause she said her fish wasnt done even though it was, amoung other things) It was even worse cause she was a friend of one of the chefs (turns out he found her annoying sometimes too). I almost cussed her out and even went over and said 'you know what...' and stopped myself. I got a 2 dollar tip from that 2 top and the 2 bucks came from her friend not her.

Bottom line is even if u get a douche as a customer, be as nice as possible, or else u will make the mistake like me and get no tip.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good advice to tolerate the occassional b!tch; it happens.

To make extra money, suggestively sell alcohol and desserts. They increase the tab, which increases your tip. For example, don't say, "Do you want dessert?' Instead, say, "we have two great desserts tonight, the ___ and the ___, which one can I bring you?" That's suggestive selling, where you just assume they want something.

JPFromTally

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was younger I used to be a waiter at both an Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday's and also at a fine seafood restaurant. Turnover is high at places like this because complaints are high and tips are low.

Some ethnicities tend to complain more and tip way less. So if there is a predominance of them in your geographic area then you will be frustrated quickly working at this type of establishment.

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I work at a chain steakhouse.

My average ticket per person is $18. I would suspect your average ticket will be much lower than that.

Last year I averaged $85 per shift in our busy season. I expect that to rise to $100 per shift this year since I'm a lot better at my job.

Rocko

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It all really depends on how many tables you take really. I also wait tables at a diner (people spend less on money then at TGIF) and most of the time I'll make a bill (100+), simply because of great service and the amount of tables I get throughout the night. Just remember that if you are happy, the customer is happy, so your tips will show a huge difference.

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JPFromTally said:
Some ethnicities tend to complain more and tip way less. So if there is a predominance of them in your geographic area then you will be frustrated quickly working at this type of establishment.
I totally disagree with this.

If you break through a person's barrier (the wall they put up), you will be tipped well. I get excellent tips from people of all races.

Low class people tend to tip poorly, and I encounter more low class white folks than low class people of other races (I'm in Arkansas so YMMV).

cpddavis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Aaron

Look, some black and hispanic people are decent tippers. But generally, it isn't something their culture places much importance on. I've waited a ****-ton of tables in my life and talked about this with countless servers. I don't know a single one who would disagree with me on this, including black and hispanic waiters. Additionally, men are better tippers than women and most college kids are terrible (regardless of ethnicity).

Additional piece of advice: Don't wait tables at chain restaurants. Tips suck there. Find a popular local place that people like to drink at a lot. You'll have better luck, meet cooler service industry people.

Aaron B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cpddavis said:
Aaron

Look, some black and hispanic people are decent tippers. But generally, it isn't something their culture places much importance on. I've waited a ****-ton of tables in my life and talked about this with countless servers. I don't know a single one who would disagree with me on this, including black and hispanic waiters. Additionally, men are better tippers than women and most college kids are terrible (regardless of ethnicity).

Additional piece of advice: Don't wait tables at chain restaurants. Tips suck there. Find a popular local place that people like to drink at a lot. You'll have better luck, meet cooler service industry people.
To address the last issue first: I work at the best restaurant in town. I have no control over the fact that the best restaurant in town is a chain steakhouse. We have the best waitstaff in town, no question.

I get excellent tips from women for the most part. I would be willing to bet I average 15% with minorities. A few of them tip me me bad but for the most part I do well.

DJMaC23

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would say how racist and prejudicial the comments regarding a person's race determining the amount of gratuity a server receives, however I note where the poster (s) are located. I know that in my neck of the woods (Metro DC/MD/Northern VA) that "good tippers" come in all races, sexes, ages, and class levels. Generally you can tell when a person is not going to tip well though by their attitude towards you. It's funny, I can say that I had a much larger percentage of "white" people stiff me on a tip or not tip well when I was working in a job that included tips than the black people I dealt with. I had black people, indians, latinos, and white people all stiff me or give me a crappy tip at one time or another, however I have had latinos and black people and white people as well give me very nice tips. Can't really judge by race, you just have to feel the person out. I'm so glad I live in the East...even though there are too many ignorant people here as well

Krak

Don Juan
Reaction score
Where I work, the servers average about 100$ a night, 200$ on a good night and 300$ on an awesome night. Then again its more up-scaled than TGIF so the check is going to be higher which means a higher tip.