Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Issues I Have That Effect My Overall Life

Reaction score
Guys I wanted to post something about me that seems very troubling. I will post some detailed information so you guys can get a background and information on where I am in the current.

Okay well right now at this very moment I'm 26, will be finished with two Bachelor Degrees in the Spring of 2010 and will start an MBA. I have an independent sales business that I've been doing for about two years now but I just gotten good at it this year and started building real income. In this business I make residual income off of the clients I bring in. Right now give or take, my residual for a year is about $25,000. I have fixed alot of things and I believe that once they are implemented my residual will be bigger.

I also am working on getting my body the way I want it to look. I'm pretty lean right now and toned, but I just want more definition.

So short and sweet that's where I am professionally for the most part.

From a romantic standpoint I seem to be carrying, I don't know, emotional baggage of some sort but I'm not sure what it is. That's why I want to see if you guys can assist.

1.) Middle School - High School

A very rough period for me romantically. I think I created the word REJECTION. I was a laughing stock of everything. I tried to wrestle and was the worse on the team. I would get into fights and lose all of them badly. Towards Senior Year I got a little more "cooler" I guess you could say, but was still a laughing stock for the most part.

Girls hated me. Badly. And they said sooooo many things to me that just destroyed my self esteem and total self worth as a person as a whole.

I never really had any real friends.

My family never really accepted me as a "real person" either. My mother used to spoil me a little when I was younger, but as a I into Middle School she just dropped off of talking to me period. She would always make little remarks about, "Why aren't you like the other kids?" "I bet so and so is a better man than you are." Things like that. I could NEVER talk to my mother about personal problems, because when I tried to, she would LITERALLY lay in her bed and continue watching TV as if I wasn't saying anyting.

My sisters always seen me as a loser or a wimpy boy.

Reaction score
2.) Early part of college

I started to come out more. What helped me gain some level of self worth was local church believe it or not. Being black, local christian church always strived to inspire more than religion but internal hope in members. From the teaching, it developed real, true, self worth inside of me.

This self worth allowed me to actually BELIEVE that I could graduate college, be successful in sales (which for some reason I always knew I wanted to do), and also somehow be successful with women.

It actually worked.

During these early days, I stilled stayed with my mother and she always seemed to have something to say about me going to church. She would say, "Don't you know that everybody at that church is gay? Are you gay now?" Or, "I bet everybody at that church think you are a damn crazy fool don't they?" "Why you always running in the church everytime the door opens?"

You would THINK, that a young kid who was doing ANYTHING but getting into trouble would actually be a BLESSING. But, I guess not.

3.) College Drop out

I drop out of college stupidly and jump into the field of all commissioned sales as a total newbie. Still staying with my mother of course. And you already know how that went, I had trouble with the phone company earlier on because I would be making long distance calls and she figured out it was related to what she said, "Some stupid ass job I had," and of course she had bad things to say about what I did.

Eventually, I started making sales, enrolled back into school, and moved the **** out.

Reaction score
4.) Today

I had to list all of that because right now, I do good with meeting women. However, what happens is that we will be sitting there and everything is going great and then I just start SNAPPING on the girl for no reason.

I will go into a long thing about how she really doesn't "like me or want me" (despite the fact that she would call all the time, we ****ed before, she's there, all of that). I would go into how she only really likes THUGS and DRUG DEALERS and I don't do that so she doesn't really like me.

Then I start having thoughts about killing women. Seriously.
Then I start having thoughts about suicide. Seriously.

Then when I sit down and calm back down, I come back to "myself" again and everything is fine.

I've tried to read books and even do therapy, but the therapy sessions do not help. They don't even address the problem.

What do I think my problem is?

I think my self-worth was damaged SO MUCH as a child, that today as I get my **** together and actually have enjoyable times FINALLY, I can't enjoy them.

Reaction score
Listen, it's these thoughts that come up in my head out of the blue, listen to these thoughts:

"No woman will ever want you. You are not a gangsta, you don't sell drugs, you are not a thug. All women REALLY want thugs, even if a woman is WITH YOU she still DOESN'T LIKE you because you are NOT A THUG. If a woman is with you she will leave you once the THUGS come around."

"You will never actually succeed in business like you really want to, so why are you continuing to try? Everytime you get things going right, some NEW thing pops up. Why do you keep trying?"

"You will never get your body to where you want it to be, why do you keep on trying? Do you think you will EVER be successful at anything?"

"Your degree sucks. You take classes online, you don't have a real degree. You are not really in college."

Guys, I don't have any friends. No close friends.

And, I think I posted this before but I'm not some corky looking guy. Most people say I'm very cool. But what I do find ALOT of times is that I CHOOSE to be alone.

Despite the fact that I do have things to do that means I have to seperate myself from the world, sometimes I CHOOSE to be alone because I literally have thoughts and beliefs that people are just going to start talking about me, laughing at me, and jumping on me for no reason.

See, this is what happened to me during middle school and high school. Every single day, the ENTIRE school would jump on me. And I'm not talking about regular bullying, you don't understand. I was beaten physically, mentally, emotionally, pyschologically.

And today, even though I'm a "cool guy," I still have this phobia about being around people. That just out of the blue, they will start beating on me. All of them.

My mother would say when I would tell her about my situations at school, "Urghh. All of the other kids can go to school and be just fine!! Why do YOU have to have these problems?"

This is coming from a person that used to SPOIL me when I was little. I said I wanted this, she brought it. When I got to Middle Schoool, she changed.

From a combination of the people at the school and what people CLOSE to me would do, I still to this DAY have not gotten over it.

I barely call my family AT ALL. My mother would call me and leave messages like, "So why don't you call us anymore haha?" She wants to spend the day talking to me on the phone, she wants to talk about this and that and update me on what the FAMILY has going on. But she NEVER wanted to talk to me when I was in her house for over 20 years.

Then what pisses me off is she asks for an update on what I'm doing. I tell her I'm finishing my schooling, working out, and working in my business and she always has some little snide remark to make.

"School? What school? You go to school?" As if the **** I haven't loved school since I was little.

"Job? What job? Oh you mean that Telemarketing crap you do?" I mind you, my business is not telemarketing at ALL.

"Work out? Oh you still go up there to that old tired down gym. Oh...fine."

I hate to call her because she makes me sooo angry. Everytime I would get angry and cuss her out I would always go and apologize even though I did nothing wrong.

And I never really had a relationship with my father. He paid child support, but never spent time with me.

Who am I supposed to be?

I'm supposed to be crazy. I'm supposed to be in jail for being crazy and just going nuts. I'm supposed to be a loser.

My fear is that when I go into these emotional outbursts, that I will do something crazy one day and actually HURT somebody and the DREAMS of all these people that have sought to bring me down over the years will FINALLY come true. They will all sit back and say, "I told you he was a loser."

At the base of these outbursts, is that I actually believe the thoughts. I mean, alot of women DO like thugs. I HAVE made many mistakes in my business. My degree is from an ONLINE institution even though it's accredited, etc.

I just don't know, again, my fear is that I will have an outburst one day and hurt somebody or hurt myself.

trent81

Banned
Reaction score
Listen to me you piece of shivt,

I have the exact same feelings, fears, and suicidal thoughts. I am 33 and unemployed. Sometimes, life is not planned out. **** happens. You think I thought I would get fired? I have two Master's. Worth shivt right now. i don't even know if I'm good looking anymore, why? I have been busy looking for a job, rather than a mirror. I haven't gamed girls since that time I couldn't get a second date. Everything will work out, you have to stay strong. Pm me if you need to talk. I am going through the SAME thing. I'm about to move to a big city with no friends, family, nothing. WHY? Cause I need to make a good living. I have to. We will talk again. Stay thirsty my friend.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You self esteem has been totally crippled by your upbringing. You don't believe in yourself and you are smart enough to know this is the problem.

A lot of black women, who have been played in the game, marriages didn't work out etc, take that stuff out on their male children. It usually forces kids to be one of two ways, weak and submissive, or borderline misogynist. I personally feel that's why there are so many young black gay males now. Beaten into submission by women, no role models of a good black father, and then seeing nothing by criminals, thugs, abused by other thugs and enemies,seeing their father in and out of jail or being weak and ineffective or not there at all.

First of all. How your mother and family treated you is not your fault. That is not your fault, you were a child. Remember your sister's model of behavior is your mother, so forgive your sister, she doesn't know any better. As for your mother, you might want to take a look at her life and try to understand where she is coming from, it doesn't make it right what she did, but if you understand it, it can take some of the sting away and you can cope with it logically. Remember, a woman really has no clue how to raise a man. This is why fathers are important. She might have thought she was toughening you up, but she didn't know what the hell she was doing. She just didn't, forgive her. Some people just don't know any better and are products of their environments.

"No woman will ever want you. You are not a gangsta, you don't sell drugs, you are not a thug. All women REALLY want thugs, even if a woman is WITH YOU she still DOESN'T LIKE you because you are NOT A THUG. If a woman is with you she will leave you once the THUGS come around."
Yah SOME of them like thugs, but a lot of guys play thug just to get women these days. They also like....PLAYERS. And that is what you need to become. A smooth suave player, with the backbone of thug, the smarts of a business man and the finesse of a true player. The thing about thugs, they have no fear, very confident and very much relaxed. If you have those qualities, you don't have to look like a thug to set off the same triggers.

Your fear is making you feel inadequate. And you don't want women who will only date thugs, they are low class and beneath you, never stoop down to their level.

"You will never actually succeed in business like you really want to, so why are you continuing to try? Everytime you get things going right, some NEW thing pops up. Why do you keep trying?"
I have a business and it's ALWAYS something that pops up. And there ALWAYS will be, there is not such thing as smooth sailing in life. The test in life is how you deal with these problems, do you let them defeat you, or do you keep going. One of my businesses (and the one that will probably be the most profitable in the next 2 years) just died because of a bad partnership. I could ***** and moan, I could say see, I failed again, or I could do what I did. Get a new domain name, start a new company and start over again. The average millionare starts 14 businesses before he makes a million dollars. Never forget that.

"You will never get your body to where you want it to be, why do you keep on trying? Do you think you will EVER be successful at anything?"
You know that you never get anywhere from quitting.

"Your degree sucks. You take classes online, you don't have a real degree. You are not really in college."
I'm a college drop out myself man. Unless your from a prestigious university, nobody gives a rats ass about college. College is the new high school diploma. If you plan on working for yourself, the point of college is to buy knowledge you didn't have to help you make money. If you plan on working for someone else, the point of college is to prove you are trained to do the job and that you are trainable. So stop doubting that. You know exactly why you are there.

All of this
is your gremlin, your fear, enhanced by your low self esteem. The low self esteem magnifies your fears, in your mind you look at your track record of failure and project it into the future. F.E.A.R. False Expectations Appearing Real. Memorize that. You constantly go over your list of negatives. Where is your list of positives?

Who am I supposed to be?

I'm supposed to be crazy. I'm supposed to be in jail for being crazy and just going nuts. I'm supposed to be a loser.

My fear is that when I go into these emotional outbursts, that I will do something crazy one day and actually HURT somebody and the DREAMS of all these people that have sought to bring me down over the years will FINALLY come true. They will all sit back and say, "I told you he was a loser."

At the base of these outbursts, is that I actually believe the thoughts. I mean, alot of women DO like thugs. I HAVE made many mistakes in my business. My degree is from an ONLINE institution even though it's accredited, etc.
Listen to what you are telling yourself. You have to learn to change your inner dialogue. Let me tell you something about the black community. There are a lot of damaged and destroyed families out there. Very disfunctional, and as a people we have been dysfunctional for so long it's considered normal. We don't have a clear idea of what normal is because of our history. 300 years of slavery, over of hundred years of generational poverty. We are just now getting to where we need to be. More blacks in the middle and upper middle class, feeling like we are apart of the system and not on the outside anymore. We are JUST getting there.

Who are you suppose to be? You know that. You are smart, intelligent and driven. You are suppose to be a strong black man son. You are suppose to be responsible for yourself. You are not crazy, you are not insane. You are not thug or gangster and you don't have to be. Being a thug or gangster is not the norm in any other group but ours. Look around at the other races, our numbers are skewed because of our situations (generational poverty). But it is not the norm. You are the one who is normal, they are the ones who are pretty much fvcked in the head.

At the base of these outbursts, is that I actually believe the thoughts.
Read that statement again. Now read it again. Now read it one more time. Now read the last five words. Again.

YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE THOUGHTS.

False. You CHOOSE to believe the thoughts, but something else in you knows that they are a lie. Which is why you are posting here.

SOMETHING ELSE IN YOU KNOWS THAT THOSE THOUGHTS ARE LIES.

Your mind is in conflict and its causing you pain. You want to vent that pain by lashing out. But that is not the way a smart intelligent black man like yourself handles it. You are not that guy in California, you will not be that guy, you hear me? You are better than that and we are not gonna let that happen to you.

You have to learn how to change what you believe. When you do that, your life will change and you will find some peace inside.

I want you to forget about girls for a while. If some come along fine, if you got one now, fine, but for going out and trying to get a bunch of women, that's not your focus right now. Right now your focus is on fixing your inner mind, repairing your self esteem and growing your confidence.

I know some ways to help you, firstly you have to start by doing just this for the next couple of days through out the weekend. Be cognizant of your thoughts, be aware of your thoughts and just give them a label. When you think something negative about yourself, recognize it as negative and label it as a "NEGATIVE" thought, when you think something positive recognize it and label it "POSITIVE". When you think about the past, label it as "PAST", when you find yourself thinking about the future (worrying) label it as "FUTURE".

Change your mental focus from inward to outward. Notice everything around you. The people, the cars, the items on the shelf. Force your mind to focus on the outer world and not the inner world. When you start thinking about yourself, stop and focus on every thing around you, all the things you don't normally notice. The feel of your steering wheel, the shape of that cloud in the distance, the stray hair on the person you are talking to, the way an old man hobbles down the street. Exit your head.

If you get to a point where you have no thoughts to label in any way but positive, think about how you feel. Notice how you feel inside your body and mind. Hold on to that feeling.

When you get to a point where you are not thinking about the past, nor worrying about the future, notice that feeling and hold on to it.

When you get to the point where you notice that your focus is outward and not inward, compare how you feel that way versus how you normally feel. Compare your anxiety levels.

It will feel stupid at first doing this...but after awhile you will notice a difference in how you feel, keep trying it until you do.

A very smart brother named Player Supreme taught me this and it has given me a lot of peace and helped me deal with a lot of stress over the years. PM me if you have any questions or want to know anything else. Don't give up man. You can do this.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
All i see is a lot of whining, bro take 100% responsibility for everything dont blame your fkin childhood you are a 26 year old grown ass man. Everybody has fked up things that mess with there head, for years, maybe even lifetimes...you gotta step outside of that you cant change the past so stop thinking about it. your better off then a lot of dudes take advantage of what you have, adapt an overcome.

btw thought about suicide and killing women seriously, you need professional help like a good ass whoopin thinkin like that gotdamn, if you are on the road to some george sedini level, GTFO out of here wit that bullsh1t bro listen to what the hell your saying you wanna take out your anger on women and people because of your own failures and issues WTF hearing this just pisses me off, that you would get to that level hurting innocent people because you cant land some gotdamn puzzy...wtf man. grow some damn balls boy life is to be lived and enjoyed not worrying about a bunch of negative thoughts.

gotdamn

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow, and this guy was giving out advice on the "get rich" thread.

Julian is 100% correct; you need to seek professional help beyond what you have already looked into. By 26, I was finding myself and others in my age group on a path to overall improvement, and enlightenment ( for the most part), while it seems with you to be the total opposite. Feeling blue is normal, and all of us have been there, but you are beyond.

Get help, the sooner the better.

Reaction score
Warrior,

Thanks alot. I will try the thought labeling exercises. Because you see, the thing is, my life isn't so ****ed up lol.

I mean I started my business less than two years ago, normally it takes awhile in the business that I'm in to get it going. I was a total NEWBIE coming in. Actually this year has been great and my prospect list has grown I will be at over 100k most likely by the end of 2010 in a residual stream. Everybody that I work with can see it.

My body is toned, lol, I'm about to post my pics in the Health Forum.

I'm doing great in school.

And for the MOST PART, I really don't get rejections from women. I would say honestly, based on the way I act around women I already ACT like that player type lol. I posted one thread on here when I first came that women always say I seem like a player. So really, I'm not having problems or REAL problems with women either.

It's just that literally, I will be sitting there dude and these THOUGHTS will come back and I swear to you, I will literally CHANGE to a totally different person and just start snapping on the girl.

The other day, me and this one girl that I've been talking to since about January of this year (we've become real close and everything since, she's always there for me, etc.) I just snapped on her dude for NO ****ING REASON. I started calling her a *****, I was throwing ****. I really don't even REMEMBER what she said that set me off but I know it wasn't nothing major.

I've TRIED to find maybe a therapist to speak to about this the problem is that no one really has offered much of advice. Most of them tend to tell me to "Speak out my problems," or something like that. Most of them seem to give out advice that a female would use or something.

Maybe if I start to write down the thoughts, I can tackle them.

THE PROBLEM comes though, when I'm just sitting there and the thoughts take the **** OVER. It's like I get out of control. That's what scares the **** outta of me. Because it's no reason for me to be going off like that.

synergy says,

wow, and this guy was giving out advice on the "get rich" thread
No lol, YOU were giving out advice. I was pointing out that YOUR advice just like Duffdog's made no sense and it still doesn't, and even though I only have 2 years of business experience I NOTICED it and so did MAJORITY of the other responders in that thread who also called you guys out.

I will respond to your reply in Str8up's thread though. This thread is focused on other things and I don't want to change the subject.

But thanks for the response along to you Julian as well. I'm willing to hear comments from all sides.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Unbridled_Phoenix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Life itself is a roll of the dice, and they seldom land exactly as we would have them. Forget the past, for we were all "unaware" in the past. But now you ARE aware, and you have taken steps to take your world in the direction you want it to go. The past will only affect you as much as you allow it to.

I understand where you're coming from, to a degree. I'm not black, but I know the irony of having a family that seems more toxic to you than strangers. Keep going in the right direction, you escaped their negative energy, it doesn't have to hold you back anymore. Relegate them to the level of acquaintance. It's a cryin'-ass shame, but do it.

By the way, what business are you in? I have so much trouble meeting guys my age who share my entrepreneurial zest, I too am light on friends. I have many people I can go out and do things with, but it is rare that I relate to someone my age. All I want to talk about is business and how to get ahead, but they are all frozen in middle-class stasis. I'd be floored to have a friend like you.

So what are you selling?

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your relationship with your mother caused your belief system to think it's normal. SO when you are with a woman, you need a reason to yell at her and tihnk about killing her[like you did with mom]. I have a semi toxic relationship with my father,for the most part, I stay away and keep the'negativity cooties" off me. People aren't safe to be around because you were picked on as a child when you couldn't/wouldn't stand up for yourself. You need to change BOTH beliefs. What you believe, you will achieve-so now you have issues with women and people.

I'd look at releasing technique-should be online,if not PM me and I'll put you in touch with their website.

Reaction score
sodbuster,

Your relationship with your mother caused your belief system to think it's normal. SO when you are with a woman, you need a reason to yell at her and tihnk about killing her[like you did with mom].
I have a semi toxic relationship with my father,for the most part, I stay away and keep the'negativity cooties" off me.

Yes, and what makes it worse is that right AFTER my little thought episode I would go into how GOOD my mother has been so I ought not say anything. Just confusing. Right now, I don't associate with ANYBODY from my family. I NEVER had a relationship with my family on my dad's side of things, one of my brothers on that side reached out to me about two years ago. I hung up on him. He kept calling back and offered free beer, a night of bowling, and a free restaurant meal lol, so I said you know what **** it I'll go.

Felt stupid the entire time. I know nothing about this guy. Doesn't even feel like an actual brother relationship where you have someone looking out for you, felt honestly like a guy taking me out to lunch because he was trying to sell me something lol. You guys know how that feels.

My mother is the only person from my family that would call. She would call and ask why I never call. I feel bad, because, whether or not I think she was perfect she did alot of things. she feed me, clothe me, all of that and even into my young adult hood until I moved out.

I feel ungrateful. I feel like a bad son.
But at the SAME TIME, I have these god damn issues.

People aren't safe to be around because you were picked on as a child when you couldn't/wouldn't stand up for yourself.
Yes, this is it. And you know what I find myself doing? When I get around people that I THINK might **** with me, I guess because they have the vibe that those other people had back in the day, it's like I turn into a different person. I'm no longer my laughable/****y self, I seem to be more on the defensive. I seem to mean-mug the dudes there as if to come in and say non-verbally, "Say something, do something, whatever, I will kill your ass."

What THIS actually start doing now is ****ing with my "cool status" with women. I'm no longer all comfortable and charismatic anymore and they can OBVIOUSLY see something is wrong. So now I'm:

feeling embarassed
feeling unattractive again
feeling stupid

still potentially thinking that these PEOPLE are all about to start ****ing with me which makes all three of the feelings turn up to HIGH mode. I start shaking a little bit, yes seriously. When I start talking I start mumbling and I get very nervous, I get SO nervous that my voice is shakey. I am kidding you NOT.

This part of my problem is what I think was the BIGGEST, and then I feel like I just "take it out" on my family seeing as though the situation with my family wasn't perfect but I also knew that my family wouldn't seriously hurt me. These other PEOPLE would though.

And I must say this, in childhood when these PEOPLE would start up, it's like I just froze, started shaking all over. One kid would start it then the others would join in because it was "cool." This is also during a time when I actually was starting to like girls but come on, I'm the guy that just gets SELECTED out of the bunch and beat up and picked on, what girl is going to take me seriously? You guessed it none, they even joined in. And let me have got the balls to approach, it was a comedy event.

Guys would beat me up, and I WOULD NOT FIGHT BACK. You heard me. Read that again. Guys would jump on me, and I would NOT FIGHT THEM BACK. For some strange ****ing reason, I figured that if I just LET THEM BEAT ME, the beating session would be over faster and I could move on. I would get home after laying there letting someone beat me for 10 minutes and just HATE MYSELF.

I joined my high school's wrestling team, I had a terrible coach in the fact that he never really took time up to make his team's weak guys actually better.

I NEVER WRESTLED, but I wrestled. What this means is, and I'm not joking, I would get up and go on the mat and practice or go out on the mat at shows, and literally DO NOTHING. I LET THE GUY just beat me and pound me in the mat and do all of his moves. I BARELY put up a fight.

So why was I even on the wrestling team? To this day, I could not give you an answer.

If I got in a fight TODAY, would I just let a guy beat me up again? (Thinking), you know what, honestly, I don't know.

Last night I was with this one girl that I've been talking to for awhile. I would say I have about 15 girls in rotation and I'm "talking" to about a good 2 of them very closely. On a scale, I don't know, they are mostly 6-8's, I wouldn't call anybody a 9 or 10 lol.

But it's just casual conversation, and you know I'm just being myself which is more laid back, funny type of guy, high sexual.

So she just, I guess, says something about how she likes to help her family from time to time and I guess I just SNAPPED on her and I don't know, I started going on with how when she gets with me she's not going to be aorund them and all this. It's just not called for, my behavior that is.

It goes up and down. Now, let me tell you, when I don't have these thoughts I'm probably the coolest guy you would ever meet. Then these thoughts come in, dude I'm telling you, it's like you are dealing with a TOTALLY different person. My girl said that it appears as though I am bipolar. I haven't really told neither of the two girls I'm close with about these ISSUES, mainly because I think they will think I'm a weak man. In some ways, I am a weak man, but, I don't know.

Guys when these thoughts raise up I CAN'T control them. I can control them a little but not much. Literally, when I start throwing **** all it takes is one of those bottles to hit my girl in the head and I'm done. Seriously done. I'm a solution guy, if you guys can find me a solution, I'm willing to research it, learn it, apply it, whatever.

I really appreciate a forum like this which gives a guy SOMEWHERE he can go and AT LEAST have someone listen without judging you.

Von_S

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to a therapist, once a week for 6 months. Worked for me.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm gonna agree. Find a therapist man. Time to handle your issues like you handle your business, with determination and focus. Good luck man.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn how to fight. Seriously. Take a class that will force you to actually hit somebody or be knocked out like boxing, muay thai, and certain styles of karate. Doing good in money matters is good, but you need to learn to stand up for yourself.