Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Parents wont let me gorge protein

Cry For Love

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
They wont let me do it! They get angry and irritated at me when i inform them of how im going to eat 10 eggwhites or a few packs of curd. They think it will cause Gout(podagra) and constipation and that weightlifting should be just done for the fun of it and that fast muscle growth is not important. Are those dangers really realistic and if so how can they be prevented?

Edit: I read a bit on gout from Wikipedia and it also suggests to "limit food high in protein such as meat, fish, poultry, or tofu to 8 ounces (226 grams) a day." to prevent it. That seems like a really low limit considering how much most of you guys stuff in.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off there is no such thing as FAST muscle growth. Dont think by gorging protein you are going to grow like a weed overnight. NOT going to happen, so sorry to break the news to you.

DITCH WIKIPEDIA.

Lastly, you say MOST. Not everyone stuffs that much down. I dont stuff 226g down or even 200g and I do just fine. Now if you are 200lbs ok. Shoot for the 1-1.5g/lb. If you want to do the 1.5g then fine. Some will suggest 2g, and everyone knows what my personal opinion is on that subject. I've never suggested 2g on here and never will. Dont just also concentrate on gorging on protein (wrong word to use) make sure you get carbs and fat in as well and LOTS of OVERALL CALORIES.

Since you are fairly new with minimal posts, many will ask you WHAT your goals are, and diet and all of that stuff. We can only help so much without knowing anything about you and what you are after. For all we know you eat all protein and no fat and carbs. Or you are 50lbs or 300lbs. Even at 300lbs if you were muscle you wouldnt be on here, and we would suggest fat loss first.

Cry For Love

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Though the article on wikipedia actually refers to the amount of food, not to the amount of protein in it (220 grams of high protein food would probably have around 40-60 grams of protein in it?).

I am mostly interested in the possible health issues that i posted out in my starting post. I dont think my training program has much to do with how big the dangers of gout could be, or does it?

I am a 71 kg dude(155 pounds) and my diet is fairly regular(4-5 meals a day), fried potatoes, buckwheat and oat porridges, some macaroni, as the main courses, about 2-2.5 liters of milk/sour milk a day. Now the problems arise on the parents' side when I add curd, eggs or cheese on top of that. Apparently according to how you guys eat that should be no problem but many internet pages heavily discourage high amounts of protein.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ironaddicts.com specifically has a stickied post somewhere that is directed at parents concerning protein consumption myths. Try maybe the beginner or general section.

It's blocked here at work or i'd link directly to it.

However most people are unreasonable and parents hate children so it will probably make no difference.

jon3947

Don Juan
Reaction score
For those of you who havent taken biology/health class yet. Proteins are amino acids that cant be produced in the body, they help form real "proteins"
also, an excess of proteins, or amino acids, which ever you want to call them are just turned into fat

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
INCORRECT jon3947

If that were the case i would be extremely fat. Protein does not become fat.

I still can't believe they are still teaching that ridiculously stupid food pyramid...which is retarded beyond belief

jon3947

Don Juan
Reaction score
no excess protein does become fat, it is not needed and becomes fat, if you want to build muscle mass, lift weights, a normal protein intake will do just fine

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why can we NEVER get things right on this forum? EXCESS protein if NOT used for fuel depending on the activity (certain % depending on activity), CAN BE STORED AS FAT. Plain and simple.

I dont know why people argue this subject. This should be just as clear as saying the sun usually rises and sets. THATS HOW IT IS.

Crieky!

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regardless...it doesn't matter. Omen as i know you are set in your ways.

I go from my experience and from others. And as we know, we can't just point to one thing for fat gain...so your thinking may be just a little too involved, and just complicates things for those just starting out. saying 1.5-2.0 isn't that big of a leap of worry imo.

For instance 1 gram of protein is only 4 calories (or so many websites claim). If that is the case, even if you ate (like me) 500 grams of protein = 2000 calories...could you get fat from it? It doesn't seem like that could happen. This subject seems a bit more complicated then 'just' excess protein.

And if it is transfered to fat...just how much? And how come others i meet who are cut to the bone who eat like me don't have any problems? For instance my friend who i help with training only makes good muscle gains when eating more than 2 grams x bodyfat or more. Less than that nothing changes.

And i'm not bashing your point of view, but knowing your opinion is interesting Omen :D

Last edited:

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The point in question is not necessarily geared towards most of us, and physically active people, but if you take a person who can gain weight on 2,000cal and they do jack all day long, they can become a fat arse by taking in that much protein to equate that many calories. If that doesn't clear it up, think of it in higher terms.

If you ate 3-5k calories a day and it all came from protein, what do you think would happen?

My point is the physiology aspect and science aspect of things. IT WILL CONVERT TO FAT.

If we were to say it doesn't, then why dont we jut make all people getting fatter just eat all protein? Then we could say.. Hey fat arse, I know a way you can eat all you want and not gain more weight. Eat all the protein you want in the day, VERY minimal carbs and fat, and you will never gain another pound.

See the point? An EXCESS of calories are what do it for people. Most of the time it is a combo of everything. But if it was all from protein it would be the same as if it was all from fat or carbs. Sure there are going to be different responses in the body if you only ate one source, but it would convert to fat if it was not used regardless of the nutrient being eaten.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In regards to the OP.

You're 18, that an adult in many places (including Britain), so last time I was aware, you don't need there permission.

Nothing is stopping you going out and buying your own food, and if needs be, don't tell them you're eating it.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah as Wes said, buy your own food if you have to, and eat it...simple as...they can't force you not to, you're an adult.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cry For Love said:
They get angry and irritated at me when i inform them of how im going to eat 10 eggwhites or a few packs of curd.
here's your problem. why do you need to inform them of what you'll eat? you're an adult, eat. you don't have to validate your eating habits with your parents, girlfriend, priest or anyone else. if you throw it in their face, then for sure they'll throw it right back. decide how much you really need, and eat it.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jon3947 said:
no excess protein does become fat, it is not needed and becomes fat, if you want to build muscle mass, lift weights, a normal protein intake will do just fine
WTF? Proteins is protein. Fat is fat. Fat is a lipid. Protein in a polypeptide of amino acids.

Chemistry is totally different. A protein does not magically turn into fat.

Unless you know alchemy, I am right on this one.

AlekNovy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, don't fall into the fitness industry bull**** and mythology.

As a natural (not using steroids), you can't use any of that extra protein up anyway, it'll just end up as fat.

Remember, when you read about protein requirements, two things.

1) They apply to someone on AAS
2) The fitness media doesn't mind leaving that fact out as it suits supplement/whey sales

There's a pdf by mentzer somewhere online. Find it. Talks about how retarded all that protein-obsession is. The most you as a natural can gain in muscle per year is... 10 pounds. How much extra calories from protein does it take to create 10 pounds of tissue? 35,000 calories. That's 95 calories per day, or about 24 grams of additional protein.

That's it. Just 24 more grams. In a day. Not in a meal.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlekNovy said:
The most you as a natural can gain in muscle per year is... 10 pounds. How much extra calories from protein does it take to create 10 pounds of tissue? 35,000 calories. That's 95 calories per day, or about 24 grams of additional protein.
yikes, that's a lot of nonsense for one post. first, you'll have to tell all these guys who've gained more than that in a year that they're ****-all liars.

second, your body doesn't convert protein calories into muscle calorie-equivalents the way you've described. the body uses whatever protein is available along with it's preferred energy sources (protein being only a last resort, in which case it's not available as raw material for the muscle itself) in order to create muscle & related tissues.

i don't have a dog in the the # of grams per day per lb/kg of bodyweight fight, but most people trying to build muscle can benefit from significantly more than 24 g of protein per day (available from 4 large eggs).

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"There's a pdf by mentzer somewhere online. Find it. Talks about how retarded all that protein-obsession is. The most you as a natural can gain in muscle per year is... 10 pounds. How much extra calories from protein does it take to create 10 pounds of tissue? 35,000 calories. That's 95 calories per day, or about 24 grams of additional protein."

:crackup: What nonsense...

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow... I'm not wasting my time on this thread anymore. I cant believe some of the stuff being said the last few posts.

And dont worry, i'm not talking about the last 2 posts :up:

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys remember the mormon episode of south park?

dum dum dum dum dum...