Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I keep tearing my right pectoral

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing 5x5 for bench for a while on my push day and decided to change it up to 7x3 or something like that (anywhere from 6-8 sets of 3 reps). Now because of lower reps, that means higher weight, right? Well each time I bench heavier, I end up feeling a pain in my right pec close to my armpit. It only happens after the 5th set or so, and never during the lift itself, only when I start the next set do I feel it getting strained. The next day I notice that it is sore in that area, but it isn't painful really, just soreness.

I did some research and I think it is a grade I tear. It happened last week and I was fine after a couple of days so I know it isn't anything major. I notice that it happens every time I bench heavy. Even when I was maxing about a month ago, I felt this same feeling.

I want to build only strength, no size at all right now, so that's why i switched up my routine. Is there anything I can do or work with this somehow without damaging my body? Or should I just go back to 5x5?

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it hurts, you are doing something wrong. Back off the bench press or you'll just hurt yourself worse. Try other exercises and identify what causes pain.

At the very minimum you're pushing too much weight.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it hurts, you are doing something wrong. Back off the bench press or you'll just hurt yourself worse. Try other exercises and identify what causes pain.

At the very minimum you're pushing too much weight.
It only hurts when I go heavy though. I never have any issues going lighter.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was doing 5x5 for bench for a while on my push day and decided to change it up to 7x3 or something like that (anywhere from 6-8 sets of 3 reps). Now because of lower reps, that means higher weight, right? Well each time I bench heavier, I end up feeling a pain in my right pec close to my armpit. It only happens after the 5th set or so, and never during the lift itself, only when I start the next set do I feel it getting strained. The next day I notice that it is sore in that area, but it isn't painful really, just soreness.

I did some research and I think it is a grade I tear. It happened last week and I was fine after a couple of days so I know it isn't anything major. I notice that it happens every time I bench heavy. Even when I was maxing about a month ago, I felt this same feeling.

I want to build only strength, no size at all right now, so that's why i switched up my routine. Is there anything I can do or work with this somehow without damaging my body? Or should I just go back to 5x5?
Do dumbells and cables, better for the shape of the pectorals anyway. For many the flat bench puts the pec and shoulder in a vulnerable position. A couple of pec tears or even sprains should be enough to let you leave it alone.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
7 x 3 is too much. If you plateaued on 5 x 5 then switch to 3 x 5. Be sure to do proper warmups and stretch your pecs if you need to. I always warm up using an empty bar, and then I add weight immediately after until I reached my working set. My warmup sets are about 3 sets, immediately one after the other.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do dumbells and cables, better for the shape of the pectorals anyway. For many the flat bench puts the pec and shoulder in a vulnerable position. A couple of pec tears or even sprains should be enough to let you leave it alone.
When you say dumbbells, do you mean db bench or db flys? And cable crossovers don't benefit me towards my goal, so i don't have a desire to do them.
7 x 3 is too much. If you plateaued on 5 x 5 then switch to 3 x 5. Be sure to do proper warmups and stretch your pecs if you need to. I always warm up using an empty bar, and then I add weight immediately after until I reached my working set. My warmup sets are about 3 sets, immediately one after the other.
I didn't plateau on them, but I keep reading everywhere that it still makes you add a little bit of size which I do not want. The first 2 sets are my semi-warmup sets too, so I'm really just trying to do 5 sets of heavy bench.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you say dumbbells, do you mean db bench or db flys? And cable crossovers don't benefit me towards my goal, so i don't have a desire to do them.

I didn't plateau on them, but I keep reading everywhere that it still makes you add a little bit of size which I do not want. The first 2 sets are my semi-warmup sets too, so I'm really just trying to do 5 sets of heavy bench.
DB bench.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score

Try foam rolling your pecs.