Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Moving to LA - help and career advice needed

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bit about me. Work for a prominent media conglomerate (movie studio, TV network, record label, etc) based in their EMEA head office.

My dream is to be an entertainment exec in LA. Hollywood has always had that "fast life" allure. It screams success and hedonism. Not for everyone but appeals to me.

My main issue is that, although I will eventually have a good understanding of the studio's business, a lot of my knowledge will be focused on non-US markets. With this in mind, how can I best position myself for a move to the US?

Last edited:

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you familiar with any non-US markets? Studios, as you know, make a ton of money in Asia and elsewhere with action pics. What's your background?

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you familiar with any non-US markets? Studios, as you know, make a ton of money in Asia and elsewhere with action pics. What's your background?
I'm familiar with Europe, Middle East and Africa markets. Focus is around distribution of the studio's content through output and licensing deals so I don't get involved in the production side of things. The content already exists (or will exist). We're just focused on selling it.

My background is finance.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're gonna kill it, then. I see you're 28 - do you have previous experience in the field?

You should be checking out the UTA Jobs List. It's a "secret" (but not really) list of opportunities, mostly in LA. There is a blog that publishes it, a little belatedly, but check it each week or two:

http://www.anonymousproductionassistant.com/uta-joblist/

Netflix and Amazon are also growing studios, I recommend checking those out too. I know that Netflix has offices in Amsterdam and I'm sure they're both expanding globally wherever they can. Smaller film production companies like Weinstein, A24, and Anonymous Content are good places to look. And if you're willing, you could always start in an agent trainee program (mailroom for starters) at an agency and put in a few years. Great way to make connections, or so I hear.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Make the leap & burn the boats. Once you arrive in LA find the places where influential people congregate. Get to be a regular at some of those places. Be open about what you do, what your goals are; be a cool person.

LA is all about who you know. So make an effort to build relationships in places where someone thinks you are cool & says "I know a guy who could use someone like you..."

Build connections from here too. There's several LA guys on here. Get to know them.