Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Weightlifting.. overcoming mental block?

falloutboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
To all you lifting experts..

When it comes to weightlifting everyone says "mind over matter" or "The reason you can't lift XX lbs. is because it's all in your head."

Well going with that, I can bench 200lbs 8x without breaking a sweat. But put on 15 more lbs, all of a sudden I struggle to death doing 3-4 reps, even if I use all my concentration.

It's the same for running. I do a sprint workout as fast as I can (which is not fast at all), and then I'm ready to blow chunks afterwards. A minute of rest later I'm jumping around like nothing happened. Clearly I can handle much more in both cases, yet I can't do it.

So,
HOW DO YOU OVERCOME THE MENTAL BLOCK?

Secondly, do you know the scientific/biological side of this block? Is it a hormone (or lack of one)? What part of the brain is limiting you?

jiza101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My coach said, that if you arnt doing something the right form, you will get to a weight and be fine but add a little bit more and you will not be able to lift it. So my guess is that your form is not correct and to keep seeing gains in bb you MUST use the right form. Your body has probebly become accustomed to the way you lift, and now you cannot overcome your goal because of your form. Thats my guess..

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
most of the time people with poor form do it in such a way that it allows them to lift more but does not optimally fatigue the muscle

when you get up in weight a few pounds can make a difference

if you want to lift 215 8x easy - get stronger

the mental part can be an issue. its not a particular part of the brain. just dont psych yourself out - maybe you're thinking too much already - just lift

NRM

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're focusing too much on the metal block and neglecting the physical block. Maybe you just aren't strong enough to do it or you're doing something wrong. You may just not be fast enough to sprint as fast as you like. Yes, to a certain extent there is a mental part in everything you do, but you can't count on it all the time or blame it for not being able to do something.

falloutboy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thx all for the quick replies. I definitely thing form is a factor, cause it's always been a weak spot though I didn't know it could be such a big detriment.

So about that, I have another question. When you lift, should you be totally isolating the muscle you're working on? Like when some people at the gym do standing curls, they kind of jerk their whole body into it, not just their bicep but their chests and even their legs jerk slightly. Or when you do bench, should you keep your entire body frozen straight except for your arms/chest?

I heard some say there should be a very slight movement in your body aside from the target muscle (for certain exercises), others say nothing extraneous at all. What is the right way?

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you work your legs hard aswell? They can help with lifting more cause of the extra testosterone etc. Also, it could be your... bollocks, I forget the name, but the other main muscle in your pecks. Maybe that isnt quite strong enough, and you need to work the incline a lot more to help get the goal.

Form is also a big one on the list, but hey, I cant see you so I wouldnt know. I have a friend thats heavily into BB and he says sometimes, him and a select few of the guys, hit and block and dont get over it for months and months. Eventually the block guys away, and they have no idea why it happens.

Dont stress it man, stay relaxed :)

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a friend thats heavily into BB and he says sometimes, him and a select few of the guys, hit and block and dont get over it for months and months. Eventually the block guys away, and they have no idea why it happens.
LOL :) truer words were never spoken

every once in a while you have a sort of training epipheny and you bring the intensity up to a whole new level...we live for days like that

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, goes, it's all the same to me... a pretty bad typo though!

Infact that guy I'm on about has hit another block, I got talking to him again last night after seeing this. His bench is stuck at 225 lbs, and his life-long goal is to bench 250 - he is so p1ssed off right now :D poor guy

MrFitness880, is it common for these blocks to happen in your experience?

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Common in terms of how many people have them - everyone gets them now and then. they suck for everyone trust me, but anyone who trains past the newbie gains period will have them now and then

as far as frequency per person its hard to say. some years you might have a couple, some none.

i wouldnt worry though. think long term,"this too shall pass" and look for ways to break through. Do different exercises, or look into powerlifting methods of breaking through plateaus

tell your friend good luck with his goal of 250. at 225 he'll definately make it. tell him to set another goal though - why stop progress now. 300 would be a nice number, but 315 looks beautiful in the weight room. Dont stop now!

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Right, well in that case I'll look forward to all of that soon... :D

lol, thanks for the info Fitness :)

Kidquick

Don Juan
Reaction score
One way to increase your bench press is to work your triceps - After a normal bench routine I will do a cool-down set with a close grip on the bar. When you bring the bar down position it so it comes down over the bottom of your ribcage, or where ever it feels comfortable, as long as it is further down your torso than when benching normally - use a relatively light weight, something you can do 8-10 times. You can really feel it in the triceps if done correctly, and your bench WILL go up after a few weeks.

#1 P.I.M.P.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by falloutboy
To all you lifting experts..

When it comes to weightlifting everyone says "mind over matter" or "The reason you can't lift XX lbs. is because it's all in your head."

Well going with that, I can bench 200lbs 8x without breaking a sweat. But put on 15 more lbs, all of a sudden I struggle to death doing 3-4 reps, even if I use all my concentration.

It's the same for running. I do a sprint workout as fast as I can (which is not fast at all), and then I'm ready to blow chunks afterwards. A minute of rest later I'm jumping around like nothing happened. Clearly I can handle much more in both cases, yet I can't do it.

So,
HOW DO YOU OVERCOME THE MENTAL BLOCK?

Secondly, do you know the scientific/biological side of this block? Is it a hormone (or lack of one)? What part of the brain is limiting you?
It has to do with the composition and make up of your muscles with respect to slow and fast twitch fiber. Slow for endurance and fast for strength. If you have lot of fast twitch and you do alot of high rep exercise before going into the heave it will wear you out so much that you wont be able to push your full potential. Give that you do need to warm up first, try doing a few sets 4-5 with ligh weight about 50% of max but don't go to failure with them just do about 10 -15 reps to get the muscles feelin then hit the heavy it would be very benifical and the nervousness and twitchyness wont be there cause you warmed up. Just knowing that you have extra energy due to warming up properly will que any mental blocks that might be there.

Artymarines0811

Reaction score
I am having a bad mental block on bench press I can't seem to get past 240 I have never got past it is killing me and my trainer says he knows I can do it. I had a shoulder surgery 12 months ago and I am afraid of it.