Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Timesinks

mikhailsadvice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi everyone, today I talk about 3 major timesinks in life and the extent to which they waste it - antisocial media, television, and gaming. While relaxing with some mindless entertainment is perfectly fine, too many people underestimate the impact it has on their overall life. When you add up a few minutes here and there, you end up with months over the course of a year. I provide specific examples and illustrate the vicious cycle it creates. Enjoy & discuss!

EDIT: I should note that spending too much time on dating sites for example is just as bad of a timesink.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything is timesink. Life is a long series of timesinks. Participate as much as possible in timesinks which you have a passion for and bring you happiness. Only the empty timesinks that serve no other purpose than pass the time are a waste.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha SS is one of my time sinks which sadly I'm going to have to cut down as I have a new girlfriend and and the heat is on at work. Don't regret it I've learnt a lot here and I like to give back a little.

I agree with @Yewki . Learning a language or how to play guitar is a huge time sink but it's also an exercise in will power so you'll be a better man at the end of it

mikhailsadvice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Everything is timesink. Life is a long series of timesinks. Participate as much as possible in timesinks which you have a passion for and bring you happiness. Only the empty timesinks that serve no other purpose than pass the time are a waste.
I think you misunderstand. The implication of a 'timesink' is that it has no long term benefits - that's the difference.

Learning another language (I'm bilingual since 7) and playing a musical instrument (I can draw like a beast, but I did learn piano) both have HUGE mental development benefits. You think more creatively, efficiently, logically, and that has very long term benefits and implications.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand. The implication of a 'timesink' is that it has no long term benefits - that's the difference.

Learning another language (I'm bilingual since 7) and playing a musical instrument (I can draw like a beast, but I did learn piano) both have HUGE mental development benefits. You think more creatively, efficiently, logically, and that has very long term benefits and implications.
and what make you think others timesinks don't also give such things? for me drawing and music are useless, I don't see a damn usefullness on this.

mikhailsadvice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Art/music develop parts of your brain that video games and television don't, for starters.

And fringe benefits. You can play guitar at a party and everyone will love you. Start talking about gaming and who cares.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Art/music develop parts of your brain that video games and television don't, for starters.

And fringe benefits. You can play guitar at a party and everyone will love you. Start talking about gaming and who cares.
everything you do develop something, televison I don't even care anymore, video games? meh I can pull some games talk here and there and people care, why? its pertinent, if you want to be a show off seeking validation of people you hardly know to be liked, then I prefer to be the dude then people stop to listen he talks because he have something interesting to say

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anything you have a passion for can provide a long term benefit

Start talking about gaming and who cares
The people you're talking to who share the same passion would probably care. But your assumption that other people must care for your activity to have a long term benefit is unfounded anyways

Amilz

Don Juan
Reaction score

Logical is being able to look at things without bias. And no that is not true. Video game tourneys can fill stadiums in South Korea. Some of the players are celebrities. To say games don't develop the brain the same way art/ music does well that's obvious. Playing basketball develops muscles in ways playing baseball doesn't. The brain is complex. It develops from a multitude of experiences.

mikhailsadvice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Logical is being able to look at things without bias. And no that is not true. Video game tourneys can fill stadiums in South Korea. Some of the players are celebrities. To say games don't develop the brain the same way art/ music does well that's obvious. Playing basketball develops muscles in ways playing baseball doesn't. The brain is complex. It develops from a multitude of experiences.
Observational bias with little info to go one. Here's something to consider:

1) Do you live in Korea?
2) Do you want to spend 16-18 hours/day playing video games and nothing else?
3) Do you also want to have the same chance at stardom as an olympic medalist or first draft pro sport player? Esports is no different, in fact the competition is even tighter. There are less than 20 people in the entire world for any given game who are of the same caliber.
4) Do you want to look like a pro gamer? Don't think the handful of 'celebrities' get to do much with it. Not if they want to be celebrities next season.

There's actually a good documentary on Netflix called 'All Work All Play' check it out.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

1) Do you live in Korea?
3) Do you also want to have the same chance at stardom as an olympic medalist or first draft pro sport player? Esports is no different, in fact the competition is even tighter. There are less than 20 people in the entire world for any given game who are of the same caliber.
4) Do you want to look like a pro gamer? Don't think the handful of 'celebrities' get to do much with it. Not if they want to be celebrities next season.

There's actually a good documentary on Netflix called 'All Work All Play' check it out.
Why do you have to be a renown, top caliber player to have a passion for it?

Amilz

Don Juan
Reaction score

1) Do you live in Korea?

No, I don't live in Korea but I've been in involved in Esports for many years. I've played against some of the best players in the world who make a living playing games. You assume I don't know much about Esports. Chess is a game. Are master chess players wasting their time?

Not all pros spend time playing like that. Some people like board games that take weeks to complete. It's a social thing, and something creative to do with others. You are taking it to the extreme as if playing at all is the same as playing 10 hours a day. There are lots of very good players that don't even come close to half of what you stated in hours played per day. Did you get all your observations about esports from this documentary?

Last edited:

Amilz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Why do you have to be a renown, top caliber player to have a passion for it?
Some of this is baiting. I don't think this topic was really meant to be discussed. It's kind of a "I have the answer and here is why thread".

mikhailsadvice

Don Juan
Reaction score
No you don't have to be a pro to be passionate. But you do have to be a pro to be 'famous', which is the only positive case you make for it.

I play video games too, probably about 10 hrs/week, after/if I get all the important stuff done. I realize it's not beneficial in any way, like television. That's ok. I'm talking about excessive play, like 20 hrs+. You can easily log 20 hours on a weekend without sacrificing sleep/food/etc .. and that's a wasted weekend. A lot of people do that.