Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Starting up a gym

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's my thinking

I'm still quite young

No kids, no dependents.

I love health and fitness

I have spare cash lying around

I have a predictable flow of income that more than covers my living expenses and any emergency costs that might arise.

I'm hungry

I'm a qualified accountant so have a business head.

I have a pretty good network

I feel all this is a pretty good combination for starting a business and I and a freind or two think this would be a great idea. Has anyone tried something like this, either successfully or not?

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BeChange, you’re an accountant. You are aware you provided no info to properly guide you?
  • Square footage?
  • Projected annual membership fees (as comp’ed to other gyms in the area)?
  • Projected intake of new clients first year, second year, etc.?
  • How much upfront capital for buildout, equipment, utility and rent deposits? Working capital/reserves?

Quick Projection:

Monthly Overhead
  • Location: 5000 sq. ft @ $35 a square foot (In NY, this would be a rural area, not city). Annual rent $175,000; Average $15,000 monthly.
  • Employees: Minimum two at $2,000 monthly each including employer taxes. Total $4,000 monthly.
  • Utilities monthly in 5000 sq. ft: Electricity $600, Gas $300 (averaged); Water $500 (landlord will pass this expense to you as a gym eats much water by showers). Total average $1,400 monthly.
  • Marketing (TBD)
  • Cleaning: Have your employees clean. Merchandise, foods, shakes not included. Minimal expenses for corp., accounting, licensing.
Total approx. monthly expense: $20,000.

Start-Up Cost
  • Build out: $75,000 for approx. 5000 sq. ft minimum. Build out front, kitchen area, the gym, locker areas for men & women, shower areas for men &women.
  • Equipment: $75,000. Weight and cardio machines, free weights, lockers, professional appliances.
  • Rent deposits: $45,000. One or two months security deposit and first month’s rent.
  • Utility deposits: $2,000 - $3,000.
Total: $200,000

Start-up cost: $200,000
12 months of operating expenses (see above): $240,000

Initial 12-month expense: $440,000

If we were to charge annual fees of $1,000 per client, it would take 440 clients to break even. It is unlikely you will attain 440 clients your first year, outside of efficient and costly (which will increase your expenses further) marketing. If you could accomplish half that, 220 new clients per year, you would be out-of-pocket $220,000 at year one; break-even at year two (start-up paid back); $420,000 profitable at year three (edited), capping at maximum capacity within 5000 sq. ft. at year 4-6.

So back to your question: Is it worth it? Do you have $300k+ that you can invest for three years before you see a return? If so, then maybe depending on your time commitment (because you WILL invest time), and the efficacy of your marketing (perhaps you can turn a profit sooner in an area where demand is high). You could begin with a smaller gym, lower out-of-pocket, but your max capacity would be reached relatively quick and you would have to secure a new location after several years, thus losing the old and incurring a new build-out expense).

Don't forget the many IFs: Efficacy of marketing? Of location? Of demand in location? Of management? Of continued partner cooperation? Of length of lease (ensure no personal guarantee)? Inter alia.

Espi, had a good idea. Get professionally licensed, and charge per hour per client. Once you secure 100+ or so clients, you can look toward space.

Last edited:

BeTheChange

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post guru.

Reason I didn't include figured was because I wanted to get an open high level view.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
You could instead get a good work out by putting on a dress and going out to find a husband and have kids.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are different kinds of gyms. My experience is with martial arts gyms. Here's the secret: kids. Since they're small, you can fit a lot more of them on the mat at once. Their parents have jobs and will actually pay their gym dues, as opposed to your typical young male who has no money.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to start a business just to start a business, I don't think a gym is the way to go. You'd be competing with big chains or niche outfits (kids, women only, etc). As guru mentioned, it's a crapload of upfront costs with a small chance of EVER breaking even.

If you're dead-set on starting a gym, see it as a very long term plan, start training people, making connections in the industry, networking with other trainers, build up a huge client list. Then in five years time see if you have enough ready-to-go business to make it feasible.

There's a reason most businesses fail, and poor planning as well as completely misunderstanding the market are two reasons.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You also have to be incredibly effective at sales and marketing to make it in the fitness industry.

Not to mention, most of your competition are known steroid abusers with superior levels of fitness to yours.