Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Reducing body fat (aka "losing weight")

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is a typical day for me, it goes against a lot of what you say but it is something i prefer:

Breakfast: Whole-wheat pancakes, bacon, orange juice

Lunch: Hot ham and cheese sandwhich, or Lean Cuisine

Snack: Apple

Supper: Boneless Skinless Chicken breast and side of brocolli or spinach

Can I really have no orange juice or sandwiches?

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Can I really have no orange juice or sandwiches?"

Your diet sounds reasonably low calorie and should lose you weight if that is what you are going for but what I think Throttle is all about with his advice is helping people absolutely maximize their fat loss if they want to get a lot of fat off as quickly as possible and in a highly efficient way as well keep it off long term.

So if you wanted to do things Throttles way could you have sandwhiches?

Depends on the bread you use.

Can you have orange juice?

I'm guessing his answer would probably be no and if not no the answer would probably be a very small amount as in no more than 1 cup and by 1 cup I mean an amount that would be 1 cup from a measuring cup and not someone simply pouring orange juice into a glass, drinking the amount they poured into that glass and then saying they just had a cup of orange juice.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are some of the best ways to prepare vegetables?

In my dining hall they have a stir-fry section only problem is the girl who works there usually douses my food in oil. I tell her low oil now so it's getting better.

Is it steaming or boiling that causes the loss of vitamins?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:

In my dining hall they have a stir-fry section only problem is the girl who works there usually douses my food in oil. I tell her low oil now so it's getting better.

If the temperature is too high, vitamins get lost.

If its being boiled, nutrients leech out into the broth. You throw away the broth, you lost nutrients.

Oil has fats. Good for your body. You don't need so many carbs though.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I will not have to worry about triple by-passes by using olive oil to cook veggies?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whatever else may or may not contribute to triple-bypass surgery, olive oil almost surely isn't on the list. douse them veggies good. now if it were corn oil or veggie oil i'd hesitate, since we get an abundance of omega-6 fats in our diets already.

steaming probably preserves the most nutrients (including, controversially for some, microwaving), especially if there's some fat in the bottom of the container. but there's no reason to sweat getting enough micronutrients if you're eating veggies at all.

-----

i never want someone to drop what they're doing and take my advice instead AS LONG AS they're happy with their current results. this guide is intended for people who are frustrated and can't figure out why they're not losing fat despite trying to follow other plans.

-----

most commercial whole wheat breads & mixes have a much higher GI than you realize, simply b/c they're processed (literally) to a powdery pulp.

a glass of OJ each morning isn't going to kill you any more than a diet coke or glass of milk (or hell, a beer, if it's the only time you drink it). but an orange + water or tea would be better. at least you're having the OJ with a meal! if there's ever a time for an insulin spike, it's breakfast. keep it if it's working for ya.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Example.

I just went from 220 to 192 lbs in a few months.

My diet during this period:
Meal 1: 6 oz 80/20 beef, scoop whey
Meal 2: 6 oz 80/20 beef, scoop whey
Meal 3: 6 oz chicken, 1 tblspn fish oil
Meal 4: 6 oz chicken
Meal 5: Scoop whey, scoop caseine

It worked out to be 300-350g protein a day. Dunno how much fat off the top of my head but the calories were 1900-2200. 4 500mg green tea capsules a day.

The only carbs i had about ever were fast carbs in my PWO shake.

Strength went up during this time period.

I personally see no need for extra carbs for me. My performance doesn't suffer. I may have done better with a weekend carb up, but i did them haphazardly and not all that often. I wasn't too ass strict about carbs since i'd eat whatever came with the meal at a restaurant but i don't eat them much more than once a week or every other week. Damn fries come with everything nowadays. I ate an entire frozen pizza one time. Not a lick of difference in fat loss rate.

I don't want to eat 6 meals a day. I don't see the point or any evidence that it makes a difference.

I did no cardio for 2/3 of the fat loss time. It sped up when it started getting warmer and i went on 30 min walks a few times a week. I'd have sled pulled if it were warmer at the time.

Didn't change lifting routine at all. 3 days a week. I can't find any jeans that let my thighs fit while being a proper waist size anymore.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
most people say they can't stand unsweetened tea (green, black or white) but I think it's great.
Green tea tastes fine at the right temperature... when it starts going luke warm I tend to gag on it.

itishe said:

Best as in most healthy? That would be steaming for sure. Okay okay microwaving works too but I think it makes the veggies mushy.

bud_2005 said:
Can I really have no orange juice or sandwiches?
Well, are you getting good results now when they are in your diet?

If yes, then go ahead and eat them. If no, then time to address the weaknesses in your diet.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i second the link to john berardi. everything I wrote up at the top of this thread was checked against his advice, especially the article "lean eating II".

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
i'm of two minds about carb-up or cheat meals/days. some folks advocate one meal a week, or an entire day where you "carb up"--these are usually part of a very low carb diet that also includes fast carbs immediately post-workout. i've had no luck with such plans but obviously they work for some people (though how many are receiving chemical assistance, i cannot say).

this plan isn't quite so low carb, and as far as i'm concerned, cheating just puts you off your goal by two or more days (especially if your cheating includes alcohol). you're welcome to disagree, and try incorporating a cheat meal or day, and see how it goes for you.

all that said, due to social obligations i find it more convenient to cheat once every few weeks than to try to explain at a high-carb wedding reception why i'm not eating any food, not even the cake. and even then i weight my plate towards protein & veggies if I can. this tends to blunt the insulin spike from dessert, and fill me up so i have zero temptation to grab more than one.

actually cheating for an entire 24 hours as hardcore as possible will throw your system so out of whack that after 3 or 4 cheat days you may think you never want to see another carb again, but human appetites are... durable.

I don't drink alcohol so my fun carbs are your garden variety candy and cereal. I agree with you about a 24 h carb binge, it does nothing for the body but spike the insulin and lead to a slower metabolism and weight gain. Last year (May 2008) I went to a buffet and only ate chicken, ham and some sliced oranges. I was quite pleased with myself for skipping over the pies, cakes, cookies, ice cream, etc. But last March it was not the same, I gobbled down a lot of sweet food and felt sick after doing so. I mean literally light headed and a scratchiness in my throat that was similar to a sore throat. It was the chocolate, the whipped creme, cherries, etc. The thing is I had been regularly eating carbs and didn't really need that stuff. It was more of something else going on which was affecting my diet, working out but not eating properly was not benefiting my body at all, and this all contributed to the weight gain.

I don't know how well it works for you (I don't know how many other guys will want to even try this) but I've now designated two days a week to have sweets, those days are Wednesday and Saturday. I had a lot of carbs today (191.7 g) and when I went out this evening, some of my friends wanted to get soft serve ice cream at McDonald's. I was torn between eating ice cream or not. A few hours earlier I had eaten dinner and had promised myself that would be the last food I'd consume for the day. So when the ice cream offer came up I was tempted but decided not to buy any. Still, one of my friends mistakenly bought one for me anyway. I didn't eat it, I brought it home and put it in the freezer, I won't eat it until Wednesday. You'd be surprised how quickly those carbs add up, and I don't want to interfere with the work I'm doing, keeping the levels down. So , yeah, you're right, binging on carbs will mess with your system, and undo all of your hard work.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
Example.

I just went from 220 to 192 lbs in a few months.

My diet during this period:
Meal 1: 6 oz 80/20 beef, scoop whey
Meal 2: 6 oz 80/20 beef, scoop whey
Meal 3: 6 oz chicken, 1 tblspn fish oil
Meal 4: 6 oz chicken
Meal 5: Scoop whey, scoop caseine
Looks similar to me but were you eating veges? What about supplements? I'm taking a $hit load of BCAA and CEE which supposedly helps keep the muscle more effectively.

I agree that the six meals a day thing may be a bit ridiculous on a cutting diet. I've never seen proof it helps "boost your metabolism" but what I have noticed is getting a good nights rest and starting to eat at a early time (like 7-10 a.m.) with some fasted morning cardio while spreading out your 4-5 meals effectively is really what burns the fat off. Obviously the meals have to be along the lines Throttle suggested tho.

It's also important to eat whole food sources as they contain essential vitamins and minerals that liquid meals do not. Not to mention it keeps you full more as you won't be eating a lot. Beradi says whole foods have a higher thermic effect then liquid ones so it helps maximize your metabolism rate during the day. Thus it will help you lose fat a lot better.

SAYNO

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mflr

Zunder

Banned
Reaction score
Throttle said:
i'm of two minds about carb-up or cheat meals/days. some folks advocate one meal a week, or an entire day where you "carb up"--these are usually part of a very low carb diet that also includes fast carbs immediately post-workout. i've had no luck with such plans but obviously they work for some people (though how many are receiving chemical assistance, i cannot say).

this plan isn't quite so low carb, and as far as i'm concerned, cheating just puts you off your goal by two or more days (especially if your cheating includes alcohol). you're welcome to disagree, and try incorporating a cheat meal or day, and see how it goes for you.

all that said, due to social obligations i find it more convenient to cheat once every few weeks than to try to explain at a high-carb wedding reception why i'm not eating any food, not even the cake. and even then i weight my plate towards protein & veggies if I can. this tends to blunt the insulin spike from dessert, and fill me up so i have zero temptation to grab more than one.

actually cheating for an entire 24 hours as hardcore as possible will throw your system so out of whack that after 3 or 4 cheat days you may think you never want to see another carb again, but human appetites are... durable.
A day or two of cheating is a very good idea, BUT ONLY IF THE PRECEDING 4-5 DAYS HAVE BEEN STRICT LOW CARB, AND YOU HAVE TRAINED YOUR ARSE OFF TO DEPLETE GLYCOGEN STORES FROM EVERY MUSCLE GROUP. (Sorry for the loud caps but I am making a very important point). Google Lyle McDonald's state of the art fat loss regime: "Ultimate Diet Two" or UD2.
His programme is not for pussies, and not many have the balls to see it through - as it is one tough muddfukker of a progaramme, but it works wonders for fat loss.

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For christmas my parents got me (among other more prefered gifts) a 4.5kg Toblerone!!

WTF do I do with that?!?! Bicep curls??

Why does anyone even need 4.5KG's of chocolate?? Is to big to even eat properly, you have to saw pieces of with a bread knife.
It would be an absolute Abs killer.

I don't think I'll be eating that. I'll pretend to them that I have at some point later in the year, I don't want to come off as an ungrateful brat.
I'll be sticking to my healthy food.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For christmas my parents got me (among other more prefered gifts) a 4.5kg Toblerone!!

WTF do I do with that?!?! Bicep curls??

Why does anyone even need 4.5KG's of chocolate?? Is to big to even eat properly, you have to saw pieces of with a bread knife.
It would be an absolute Abs killer.

I don't think I'll be eating that. I'll pretend to them that I have at some point later in the year, I don't want to come off as an ungrateful brat.
I'll be sticking to my healthy food.
I feel you dude. My parents know I can't control myself with junk food so I avoid all together. Still, my mom made a sinful apple pie last night and I wasn't really satisfied after that so of course I had to eat more... Potato chips....

I'm killing my gains :'(

CuddleJunkie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel you dude. My parents know I can't control myself with junk food so I avoid all together. Still, my mom made a sinful apple pie last night and I wasn't really satisfied after that so of course I had to eat more... Potato chips....

I'm killing my gains :'(
Food cravings are the ****, I struggle with it myself. Its basically a way to deal with anxiety, so the less stressed you are the best. Some people smoke like a madman, some people fap, some people eat like pigs. The best way to deal with this problem is being happy with yourself so you are relaxed all day long.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Food cravings are the ****, I struggle with it myself. Its basically a way to deal with anxiety, so the less stressed you are the best. Some people smoke like a madman, some people fap, some people eat like pigs. The best way to deal with this problem is being happy with yourself so you are relaxed all day long.
My dad went to the doctor for a check up today and he's gained 20 lbs since Thanksgiving. He blamed it on my mom lol.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My dad went to the doctor for a check up today and he's gained 20 lbs since Thanksgiving. He blamed it on my mom lol.
Half of that has to be water retention from sugary foods alcohols and carbs. If he cuts the carbs and sweats on cardio most of that will bleed out. Almost no way someone gained 20 lbs of complete fat in that timeframe.

Give him the hope so he can cut that weight because excess weight while unsightly is not good for health