Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

My dad does not want me to go away to college

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Him and my mother are both severely against me going away to college, they only want me to commute (I have only applied to one university to because they didn't want me to go anywhere else). They said at first that they don't have enough money to pay for it, but then my dad spends $12,000 on landscaping, starts talking about how he is going to make our attic into a new room, and talks about having our driveway turned into brick which costs around $50,000. So Im glad that my dad seems well off, but why lie to me? And why doesnt he want me to dorm or get an appartment until I am able to pay for everything myself? I tried talking to him about this and we both got into a very heated argument because he was basically saying how I am too weak to leave home and that I will just party, mess around, have fun, and get sh!tty grades. I've asked my mom too, she also said that I'm not strong enough to hold onto myself in college, that I will lose myself and forget my purpose. The thing is though, I have always flourished whenever I was away from my parents (say summer camps and whatnot). If throughout my life I have consistently done better when I was away from them, then why exactly dont they trust me right now?
I need some insight from some of you older fellows especially, I cant take the excuse that money is the reason or that I will get crappy grades. Everyone I have asked (this is mostly from people outside of school strangely enough), with the exception of one person, has said that I should go away to get the "real college experience" and to learn "the responsibilities of living on your own".

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I suspect your parents would prefer you to commute for a variety of reasons but it's just easier for them to say it's about your maturity than own up to the rest. You can be as successful or unsuccessful as you decide at University. Your success is determined by your focus. Temptation will surround you as will the opportunity to create an amazing foundation for your future.

Do you think you are mature enough? Is there truth in their concerns? What do you want?

It's a bit late to apply to other Universities for fall, isn't it? Did you get accepted at the University you applied to? Is that the University close to home or the one you'd move away to? How far from your home is it? How much more expensive is it per year than staying home and commuting? Are your parents footing the entire bill for you for college or are you expected to pay after a certain limit or what is your understanding?

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For whatever reason they can't or won't pay.... remember your parents don't owe you a college education.... You can always work a part time job and go to a community college to get all the basic requirements cheap before transferring to a better school... Maybe then your parents will see that you're serious and can pitch in.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The short answer is that your parents likely partied and got bad grades in college. They are afraid you'll do the same thing. An honest, transparent conversation would be good here, but not everyone can come clean with their kids.

Why else would they say this? Perhaps control, perhaps concerns about your behavior as they observe it, any number of reasons.

You are an adult now so this seems more about them than you. It seems money is the excuse to exert control over your life. You don't have to accept this, but if you go your own way it is not a cushy path relative to doing things their way.

What do you want to do?

They are betting that they can tell you what to do because they have money and you don't, and they are betting you want them to pay your way more than you are willing to do your own thing no matter what. I would guess they claim you on their tax return as a dependent, etc. as well and plan to continue doing so.

How strongly do you desire your freedom? Enough to do whatever it takes regardless if that means 0 access to their money? Even if it means "Welcome to Burger King, may I take your order?"

You could always move out & work & put yourself through school, but this is a hard road. However it is a road that will grow you up fast & teach you the value both of a dollar AND an education.

You could also suck it up and go where they say & hold your nose & follow their rules. You get access to their money that way (it's theirs -they do not have to educate you).

One way to go is to commute for 2 years or do a local community college. Get all your basics out of the way, and get good grades. Then you can transfer to a 4 year university somewhere away and take the upper class courses for your degree. When you get your degree it comes from the 4 year school, for the cost of 2 years there. Will they do that?

Or tell them you are going to work in the oil field. You understand it's dangerous, but lucrative, and you don't need college. Or join the armed forces. Call their bluff. I bet you get serious about either the oilfield or the army & they may reconsider their position about sending you off to school.

I will tell you I have a close friend whose son is in the oil patch as is her stepson. Both are making good money and saving for higher education. One of my sister's step sons went to the Marine corps. All these young men have had to become "men" along the way. Neither the military nor the oil patch is for delicate flowers.

amazingswayze

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Once you turn 18, you can take out your own student loans. Your name's on it. It's your debt.

You could go ahead and be rebellious and get a dorm room anyway, it's an option.

Only problem is that there might be consequences with your parents.

You decide how important your freedom is to you, but if you want to go away, don't expect your parents to pay a single penny.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you think you are mature enough? Is there truth in their concerns? What do you want?

It's a bit late to apply to other Universities for fall, isn't it? Did you get accepted at the University you applied to? Is that the University close to home or the one you'd move away to? How far from your home is it? How much more expensive is it per year than staying home and commuting? Are your parents footing the entire bill for you for college or are you expected to pay after a certain limit or what is your understanding?
I know I am mature enough. I refuse to let myself fail in college. The reason why they might think that I would lose myself is because my older sister did bad her first semester this year (I don't know how she did second semester because she transferred to a community college). Also, she got pretty crappy grades throughout high school and would go hang out with her friends without telling my parents and when she did tell my parents, she would stay out way longer than she was supposed to (I know for certain that she didn't actually do anything bad, but it was still the lack of responsibility on her part). They are afraid I will become like her despite proving otherwise time and time again. I am not going to lie and say that i won't go out and have fun given the opportunity, but the thing is, I have a very strong self-image that I am trying achieve/uphold. And it cannot be done by still living with my parents, I need to be independent.
I already am committed to the university I applied to. It isn't very far away or anything but it is still an inconvenience. I would have to commute about an hour and a half every time I take the train
For whatever reason they can't or won't pay.... remember your parents don't owe you a college education.... You can always work a part time job and go to a community college to get all the basic requirements cheap before transferring to a better school... Maybe then your parents will see that you're serious and can pitch in.
I suggested this to my father in 6th grade, he told me only losers go to community colleges haha. As money got tighter and as he asked around, he did change his opinion. The only problem is that I cannot see myself not doing a college sport. I will probably be a walk-on in the fall to be honest, but I still can't just work, go home and eat and sleep. Also, I am looking for a job currently. I don't want to be a cashier or work at a fastfood restaurant though, so other job suggestions would be helpful.
I'm not saying that my parents owe me a college education, but they did choose to have me after all. They should take the responsibilities associated with having kids. That's why the excuse of "I changed your diapers and fed you when you couldn't even care for yourself" shouldn't be used to enslave their kids. It was THEIR choice to have me, not mine. I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity now that I am here.
The short answer is that your parents likely partied and got bad grades in college. They are afraid you'll do the same thing. An honest, transparent conversation would be good here, but not everyone can come clean with their kids.

Why else would they say this? Perhaps control, perhaps concerns about your behavior as they observe it, any number of reasons.

You are an adult now so this seems more about them than you. It seems money is the excuse to exert control over your life. You don't have to accept this, but if you go your own way it is not a cushy path relative to doing things their way.

What do you want to do?

They are betting that they can tell you what to do because they have money and you don't, and they are betting you want them to pay your way more than you are willing to do your own thing no matter what. I would guess they claim you on their tax return as a dependent, etc. as well and plan to continue doing so.

How strongly do you desire your freedom? Enough to do whatever it takes regardless if that means 0 access to their money? Even if it means "Welcome to Burger King, may I take your order?"

You could always move out & work & put yourself through school, but this is a hard road. However it is a road that will grow you up fast & teach you the value both of a dollar AND an education.

You could also suck it up and go where they say & hold your nose & follow their rules. You get access to their money that way (it's theirs -they do not have to educate you).

One way to go is to commute for 2 years or do a local community college. Get all your basics out of the way, and get good grades. Then you can transfer to a 4 year university somewhere away and take the upper class courses for your degree. When you get your degree it comes from the 4 year school, for the cost of 2 years there. Will they do that?

Or tell them you are going to work in the oil field. You understand it's dangerous, but lucrative, and you don't need college. Or join the armed forces. Call their bluff. I bet you get serious about either the oilfield or the army & they may reconsider their position about sending you off to school.

I will tell you I have a close friend whose son is in the oil patch as is her stepson. Both are making good money and saving for higher education. One of my sister's step sons went to the Marine corps. All these young men have had to become "men" along the way. Neither the military nor the oil patch is for delicate flowers.
My father never went to college (he couldn't, look what's going on in Syria right now), and my mom never wants to talk about college EVER. She says she doesn't remember it either, but that probably is because she did party. Not like drinking all the time and sleeping with every guy she sees but enough to make her grades go down (she was still a virgin until she met my dad according to her, and my dad's frustrations hahaha).

I think I will just try making as much money as I can over the summer and look for an apartment in the city near the university and try to pay for it myself, though that may not happen this year. I still need to buy a car first.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only real record of your first year in college will be your grades. No one cares where you lived or what sport you played. You'll find that having to work takes time away from being able to study, and it's easy to let your grades slip.

And hopefully, your chosen academic program is something that translates to a realistic opportunity at a job. The vast majority of bachelor's degrees do not. And colleges lie their asses off. You can't trust their statistics.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only real record of your first year in college will be your grades. No one cares where you lived or what sport you played. You'll find that having to work takes time away from being able to study, and it's easy to let your grades slip.

And hopefully, your chosen academic program is something that translates to a realistic opportunity at a job. The vast majority of bachelor's degrees do not. And colleges lie their asses off. You can't trust their statistics.
I've thought about everything you've said since I was 15 years old. Thats why I said I know exactly what I want to do and how I'm gonna do it. I've had to research a lot online and have gotten some advice from an insider telling me what I should and shouldn't do. Playing a sport will only stop me from doing drugs or drinking too much alcohol and it will stop me from getting sh!tty grades (a lot of schools have some kind of minimum academic threshold before you are unable to play the sport or before you are placed on academic probation).

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK. I did a lot of drugs as a freshman and still got straight A's. I remember finishing a paper after coming down off acid. When I got the graded paper back, the professor kept going on and on about how creative I was, and that he had never read such outside the box thinking.

Drinking hurts grades a lot more than weed. With weed, I tended to get paranoid about being a fvck up, and it made me study more.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something...

Why take some loans out and go to whatever college you want? If you can't do that maybe they're right, you aren't ready.

Also don't sleep on community colleges because you can't play sports (dude...really?). You graduate with less debt that way.

I'm not saying that my parents owe me a college education, but they did choose to have me after all. They should take the responsibilities associated with having kids. That's why the excuse of "I changed your diapers and fed you when you couldn't even care for yourself" shouldn't be used to enslave their kids. It was THEIR choice to have me, not mine. I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity now that I am here.
Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're parents are right about you. It sounds like you have some growing up to do. Come on man!

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something...

Why take some loans out and go to whatever college you want? If you can't do that maybe they're right, you aren't ready.

Also don't sleep on community colleges because you can't play sports (dude...really?). You graduate with less debt that way.
Im still 17, I cannot take out loans on my own because technically Im not an adult yet. If I were to do that, my parents would need to co-sign it with me, which they are not willing to do for other reasons.
Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're parents are right about you. It sounds like you have some growing up to do. Come on man!
Elaborate on this please, you can't just call someone dumb and not explain the faults in their logic.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your parents most likely know best.

If you want to prove them wrong go one year to the university they want you to go to and get a 4.0 then transfer to the schools you want to go.

Also... past performance is an indicator of future performance. If your parents aren't going to pay, where are your scholarships? I went to a 15 school and got almost a full ride, I had to pay $5k a year which I did by myself.. Based on my high school performance. My younger brother also got a full ride to a commuter school and paid nothing for college and now is doing his pHD.

Could it be, you didn't get large scholarships because you overestimate your discipline and performance?

I'd like to remind you, passing is not enough for college especially since the job market for a lot of fields is saturated. A 3.8 is considered only average for medical school. Some engineering fields are also starting to be saturated and you also need around 3.6+ to secure a job and even then that is once again average. Finance as well, if you don't have inside connections you basically need a 4.0 to land a job at a decent bank or group.

Most sports people, cannot maintain that sort of average while in school. You want a new car, you want to live alone along with all the responsibilities that will come along with it, and you are going to enter university that (assuming it is not a complete crap school) is going to have a much harder workload than you've ever seen in your life.

My younger brother while commuting got free meals, free laundry, free rent. He also took up 2 part time jobs, saved a **** ton of money and still managed to buy a car and get a girlfriend. Whereas I lived on campus and was tight on money all the time even with scholarships.

Were I to do it again, I would have not went to the top 15 and instead commuted in NYC. Would have been cheaper in the long run and easier to get into medical school.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your parents most likely know best.

If you want to prove them wrong go one year to the university they want you to go to and get a 4.0 then transfer to the schools you want to go.

Also... past performance is an indicator of future performance. If your parents aren't going to pay, where are your scholarships? I went to a 15 school and got almost a full ride, I had to pay $5k a year which I did by myself.. Based on my high school performance. My younger brother also got a full ride to a commuter school and paid nothing for college and now is doing his pHD.

Could it be, you didn't get large scholarships because you overestimate your discipline and performance?

I'd like to remind you, passing is not enough for college especially since the job market for a lot of fields is saturated. A 3.8 is considered only average for medical school. Some engineering fields are also starting to be saturated and you also need around 3.6+ to secure a job and even then that is once again average. Finance as well, if you don't have inside connections you basically need a 4.0 to land a job at a decent bank or group.

Most sports people, cannot maintain that sort of average while in school. You want a new car, you want to live alone along with all the responsibilities that will come along with it, and you are going to enter university that (assuming it is not a complete crap school) is going to have a much harder workload than you've ever seen in your life.

My younger brother while commuting got free meals, free laundry, free rent. He also took up 2 part time jobs, saved a **** ton of money and still managed to buy a car and get a girlfriend. Whereas I lived on campus and was tight on money all the time even with scholarships.

Were I to do it again, I would have not went to the top 15 and instead commuted in NYC. Would have been cheaper in the long run and easier to get into medical school.
Like I said, I know what I want to do and how I will get there. But I cabnot see myself NOT doing a sport in college. I don't feel like I am too old for sports to be completely honest, and I wish to stay physically fit.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Elaborate on this please, you can't just call someone dumb and not explain the faults in their logic.
I wasn't calling you dumb, just commenting that you seem immature.

I think that your choice of college hinging on being able to "play a sport" rather than it's economic or educational feasibility is very immature reasoning. The idea that you need to "play a sport" (not a specific game just a sport in general) to keep you from drinking and drugging is a very teenage way of looking at the world, not one a young adult spending tens of thousand of dollars on student loans or, God forbid, their parents' hard earned money would have. A mature person keeps away from bad temptations because of will power and strength.

Plus you thinking your parents owe you a college education because they "had you" is a very spoiled and immature way of looking at the world. They owe you food, shelter, discipline, and good raising. Not tends of thousands to finance your walking on a scholastic sports team. That depends on you dude.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your parents aren't obligated to pay for college, so get this notion out of your head as if you're owed something.

You still want to go to college? That's great, I'm proud you've made such a decision. Now you're wondering how to pay for it? Plenty of options for you. Get scholarships, take out loans, find a job, join the military. PLENTY of options out there for you that don't require your parents assistance.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasn't calling you dumb, just commenting that you seem immature.

I think that your choice of college hinging on being able to "play a sport" rather than it's economic or educational feasibility is very immature reasoning. The idea that you need to "play a sport" (not a specific game just a sport in general) to keep you from drinking and drugging is a very teenage way of looking at the world, not one a young adult spending tens of thousand of dollars on student loans or, God forbid, their parents' hard earned money would have. A mature person keeps away from bad temptations because of will power and strength.

Plus you thinking your parents owe you a college education because they "had you" is a very spoiled and immature way of looking at the world. They owe you food, shelter, discipline, and good raising. Not tends of thousands to finance your walking on a scholastic sports team. That depends on you dude.
I see through your facade - calling a teenager immature is just a euphemism for calling us dumb. And I'm not going to college solely for athletics, thats just plain idiotic. How stupid do you think I am? This university I'm going to actually is a pretty good school for what I want to do later on in life. Their main field of study actually is the medical field (I wish to become an orthopedic surgeon), it's im the city, and the team I wish to join is competitive, but not impossible like Big 10. Parents wont allow me to go to any other university anyway, but that doesn't bother me because it still does have pretty much everything that I need.

Here is the issue of me staying: what happens when I finish all of my work, boss won't let me work extra hours, and I study extra because I don't have anything else to do? I see my older sister at home a lot literally doing nothing. She sleeps or plays on her phone doing petty things on it. She still works too. Am I to become just like her? I don't want my life to just work, study, and sleep, I want to actually have a hobby or a passion. It just so happens that I want it to be athletics as the 'thing I do' instead of drugs and alcohol. Now the chance is here to continue my hobby AND further my education at the same time. But it will be hard to do both unless I stay their. I talked to 2 dudes there. They said "yeah I mean, you pretty much need to live over here if you want to do a sport because of morning practices. Studying will be a lot more easy too, and the only 2 commuters on our team actually have the lowest gpa on the team too. Me and him actually have the highest" and they were drunk too (but I do somewhat know these guys outside of the university and they're pretty smart anyway). Point is, I see an opportunity that I want to utilize to its fullest. How am I to do that still living my parents? I need help the first year and then I can be in my own and eventually pay them back.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your parents aren't obligated to pay for college, so get this notion out of your head as if you're owed something.

You still want to go to college? That's great, I'm proud you've made such a decision. Now you're wondering how to pay for it? Plenty of options for you. Get scholarships, take out loans, find a job, join the military. PLENTY of options out there for you that don't require your parents assistance.
Like I said, I'm still 17. Taking out loans is a no. Job opportunities are limited because I'm not technically an adult yet. And because I transferred schools my senior year, my coaches never really helped my get any athletic scholarships, I messed up pretty bad my freshman year with my grades too so a 3.2 cummulative isn't enough for academic scholarships. Hence why in my previous post I said that I need help the first year before I can be on my own.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm still 17. Taking out loans is a no. Job opportunities are limited because I'm not technically an adult yet. And because I transferred schools my senior year, my coaches never really helped my get any athletic scholarships, I messed up pretty bad my freshman year with my grades too so a 3.2 cummulative isn't enough for academic scholarships. Hence why in my previous post I said that I need help the first year before I can be on my own.
Being 17 is only an excuse for 1 more year. When you turn 18, you'll have more options available. Also when I was 16 I was able to work fast food type stuff as were my friends. I also mowed yards. I grew up in a town of 2000.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being 17 is only an excuse for 1 more year. When you turn 18, you'll have more options available. Also when I was 16 I was able to work fast food type stuff as were my friends. I also mowed yards. I grew up in a town of 2000.
And how exactly is being payed minimum wage going to help me pay for college or get my own place? The area we moved to is 'richer', hence why my dad wanted to move here. My neighbors hire professionals to do it because it gets done quicker and they do other forms of landscaping that I cannot do. I'm thinking of getting a job at a supermarket or at a Sports Authority though. I'll probably do the latter though.

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And how exactly is being payed minimum wage going to help me pay for college or get my own place? The area we moved to is 'richer', hence why my dad wanted to move here. My neighbors hire professionals to do it because it gets done quicker and they do other forms of landscaping that I cannot do. I'm thinking of getting a job at a supermarket or at a Sports Authority though. I'll probably do the latter though.
You really need to rethink your plans big time. Sports Authority is going out of business.