Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Joining the police force and fitness.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the fi5ness requirements are doable apart from one. I need to be able to do 34 pushups, preferably 50.
Every night (mostly) I do 4 sets of pushups. I know my form is good. I do them at a moderate speed but cannot seem to get past 20. That has been my wall for at least 2 months. I am also struggling putting on more muscle mass. I am 6'7" and I weigh 112kg if that helps.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate using push-ups as a bench mark for fitness. It's dumb, and discriminates against tall people with long arms. I remember the Army roid-heads from rotc in college. Their range of motion on a pushup was about four inches, so it was easy to crank out a hundred at once.

Get some pushup handles. I think that will help.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you guys have an opinion on protein powder?

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
112 KGS means how many grams of protein a day?

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep on doing your 4 sets of normal push ups (every set to failure) every night and your numbers should gradually increase.

In the mean time I'd suggest 2 additions,

-bench pressing once a week in the gym, 4 sets to failure, aim to fail at 12 reps.
-Try clapping press ups in the morning so that you build up the explosive strength.

(Actually if you do incorporate both of those, give your chest 2 or 3 rest days after the bench press day - no press ups).

I work out my chest once a week n the gym, I do incline dumbell press, flat barbell bench press, dips and flyes.
My current personal record for normal push ups in 1 set is 87 and for clapping press ups in 1 set is 35.

If you do these I think you will get there. Normal press ups to failure should increase your muscular endurance, clapping press ups should increase your explosive strength and bench press should increase your overall strength. Combine all 3 with good nutrition and recovery and I think you will easily hit your target.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Should I be doing fast , medium or slow pushups to build up endurance, or is the issue cardio vascular as well? So pressups in the morning and night? Will my muscles recover enough to do that?

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Relatively cheap...;-P geez, I didn't realise how much I needed. My protein is normally 3 glasses of milk and a meat pie, maybe some fried eggs.

I knew my nutrition was bad, just not that bad. Is there a guide to nutrition anyone would reccomend?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone's body and digestion is different, but fwiw I get the impression that when I eat a lot of whey protein, it all goes right through me. I don't seem to digest it well at all. I really doubt that it is as great of a shortcut as it seems, at least for me.

Eternal_water

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Relatively cheap...;-P geez, I didn't realise how much I needed. My protein is normally 3 glasses of milk and a meat pie, maybe some fried eggs.

I knew my nutrition was bad, just not that bad. Is there a guide to nutrition anyone would reccomend?
Type "athlean x nutrition" into youtube. That guy really understands the science behind training and nutrition. In my opinion it is the best channel for information.
For your normal press ups I would suggest doing them at the speed you will have to perform them in your fitness test.

As for recovery, 4 sets of 20 push ups alone wouldn't cause much muscular damage IMO but if you add in bench pressing and clapping push ups in the morning, then it would be best to give your chest rest days as well.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's quite a few studies suggesting it is not possible to utilize more than about 80g of protein. Something to consider before trying to consume 200-300g+ per day

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yoiks, meat is the most expensive part of my shopping list. I can't afford what I eat already. The protein powders seem really expensive

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys...will see what I can do.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The human body will utilize as much protein as you give it.
Go eat an entire tub of whey protein at once and let us know how that turns out. If you're lucky, you'll only be on kidney dialysis temporarily, a month or two, and not forever. Dialysis patients die after about 5-6 days without treatment. That's how long you can live without kidneys.

Yewki

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have some science to back up what you're saying, produce it.
Pretty easy to find but this page in particular does a nice job summarizing the studies. TLDR version,

If you still think you need more than 0.82g/lb because you think you train harder than these test subjects, think again. Lemon et al. (1992) studied bodybuilders training 1.5 hours per day, 6 days per week and still concluded 0.75g/lb is the highest intake at which body composition benefits could occur.
Edit: I had said before that about 80g was the max, but that was a mistake I meant 0.80g/lb

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One more thing... if your pushups have not increased for the last 2 months, you really have to switch up your routine. Doing the same stuff will just keep you on the plateau. There's lots of ideas, but switching from max reps to max strength for a couple of weeks should get you improvements.

If you can, follow Bradd's plan on heavy lifting. After that you'll come back and see that the first 20 reps are no more than warmup for you.

You say you do pushups at moderate speed. Can you do them really fast, explosively? If not, you gotta work on that max strength; your bodyweight isn't enough.

Armourhead

Don Juan
Reaction score
Go eat an entire tub of whey protein at once and let us know how that turns out. If you're lucky, you'll only be on kidney dialysis temporarily, a month or two, and not forever. Dialysis patients die after about 5-6 days without treatment. That's how long you can live without kidneys.
There has never been a single recorded medical case of protein causing kidney damage. The reports you have likely read had to do with individuals who already had kidney damage from other sources and as a result they could not handle large doses of protein.

Armourhead

Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the fi5ness requirements are doable apart from one. I need to be able to do 34 pushups, preferably 50.
Every night (mostly) I do 4 sets of pushups. I know my form is good. I do them at a moderate speed but cannot seem to get past 20. That has been my wall for at least 2 months. I am also struggling putting on more muscle mass. I am 6'7" and I weigh 112kg if that helps.

One thing nobody has mentioned here is to simply LOSE WEIGHT.

Say you can do 20 pushups at 112 kg. I don't know how much time you have left before you need to reach your goal, but lets say you drop down to 100 kg or 90 kg while keeping most your strength (high protein diet and good resistance training program). If you are just as strong as you are now, but suddenly weigh 20-40 lbs less you will be able to do many more pushups because your muscles simply aren't lifting as much weight.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True, but I don't want to get that slim. I look emaciated at 95kg.