Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I cannot do nearly as many pushups as I was once able to do

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I had turned 12 , I wanted to get stronger because I found myself so much weaker than my peers. I started doing pushups everyday, as many as I could on multiples of 5. Only one set. I remember barely being able to do 5 good form pushups. Fastforward a year and a half later I was rocking out 135 consecutive pushups nose touching the floor and back up, twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening). I was 13 years old (I think that was my body's limit though, not dure if I could have gotten much higher than that). I had also incorporated a modified form of situps into this as well and was able to do even more, but that's just so you know I wasn't doing only pushups. Anyway, I'm 17 years old now and while physically I am MUCH stronger than my 13 year-old self, I can no longer do nearly as many pushups as I used to. Once I started lifting at 14, I stopped doing pushups and situps as much. My bench now is much stronger than it was when I was 14, but I cannot do as many pushups. When I was 15, I tried getting back into it again and I hit a plateau at 60 - 70. Now I can do 40, 45 if I am able to hold myself in a semi-plank position. Not sure if that's a plateau for me or not (I don't think so). I am trying to get back into doing pushups and situps again and am doing bodyweight squats too because I don't have access to a weightroom as of right now. But my question is why am I unable to do as many pushups as I was once able to? I did gain weight but not all of it was in my upper body. I was 125 - 130 lbs when I was 13. When I was 15, I was 145 - 150 lbs. I don't understand how 20 lbs could make such a huge difference though. When I was 15 I couldn't get my pushup count higher than what it was no matter what. I was stuck at 60 - 70 for almost 2 months and then I stopped because I started lifting again.

The thing is, I am not sure if I will ever be able to do as many pushups as I was once doing, but I still want to though. The first thing I need to do though is know why I plateaud when I was 15 because I jave a feeling the same will happen again right now (though maybe not at the same number of reps)

And secondly, why is it so much easier to gain strength in your legs too?

Slash Dolo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
20 lbs. does make that much of a difference. Your height also plays a factor. The taller you are, the harder pushups are--not an opinion, but fact. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep cranking them out. anything around 50 or more is good.

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20 lbs. does make that much of a difference. Your height also plays a factor. The taller you are, the harder pushups are--not an opinion, but fact. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep cranking them out. anything around 50 or more is good.
But if it is distributed evenly with all of it being muscle, then how does that account for a 60 - 70 pushup difference? And I think arm span plays a role instead of height, but I am not sure as to why. I am 5'10 with a 6'3 armspan.

jimjam

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, you're 17. Don't worry about it. I'm 44 and I was doing around 300 pushups whenever I worked out. I don't know how many sets or reps. I'd keep going until I maxed, take a break, then start again. BUT, I'd always try for just one more than I did the last time. I kept pushing myself. Then I blew out my elbow joint. Two surgeries later I'm up to around 100.

Point is, your still growing and changing. Do what you can and be proud. You've got it made. Don't worry. you're worlds ahead of most guys your age.

Incidentally, there is boo-koo literature and research about how body weight workout is much healthier and easier on yourself than weights. I'm a big proponent. And muscle-ups are a kick a$$ exercise. But at your age, you should be able to handle both no problem.

Keep at it

ImTheDoubleGreatest!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, you're 17. Don't worry about it. I'm 44 and I was doing around 300 pushups whenever I worked out. I don't know how many sets or reps. I'd keep going until I maxed, take a break, then start again. BUT, I'd always try for just one more than I did the last time. I kept pushing myself. Then I blew out my elbow joint. Two surgeries later I'm up to around 100.

Point is, your still growing and changing. Do what you can and be proud. You've got it made. Don't worry. you're worlds ahead of most guys your age.

Incidentally, there is boo-koo literature and research about how body weight workout is much healthier and easier on yourself than weights. I'm a big proponent. And muscle-ups are a kick a$$ exercise. But at your age, you should be able to handle both no problem.

Keep at it
Thanks, it just gets me frustrated sometimes knowing how I used to be better in some ways than now even though overall I'm a lot stronger. I just want to know the reasons for it and if I will ever be able to do over 100 again.

And I can only do muscle ups when one arm goes up then the other. I am unable to do them simultaneously. I love them because they're awesome and all, but they seriously hurt my elbows sometimes too. Maybe it's because I'm only able to put one arm up at a time. But it does put a hell of a lot of strain on shoulders, wrists, and especially elbows in my case.